Music Room

JaptimscarletPosted: 25 May 2018Last Updated: 30 May 2018
What are your favourite internet Radio stations? Which are good and why... I'll start you with City FM (Dutch internet station) Lots of classic rock and some good Dutch bands too.. Not too much talking either ..and it's in Dutch so easy to ignore
DrikusPosted: 29 May 2018Last Updated: 29 May 2018
Been a while since I downloaded anything from Qobuz but you could download a whole album at once then but now it seems that this fuction has gone and you have to download song by song or am I mistaken? Just purchased 20 albums so it's quite a job downloading them song by song.
WiltshiremanPosted: 20 May 2018Last Updated: 29 May 2018
Just met up with an old friend after more than 40 odd years. We were always into hifi gear and had many a listening session but he moved to live in Stratford and has only just come back to my area. He naturally invited me to his home for a listen so I took some of my favourite albums along for listen. Can you believe he has NEVER heard of Antonio Forcioni! Where has he been? Well actually he doesn't go to hifi shows and has no Naim gear but really just who hasn't heard of him? Anyone here...
ConsciousmessPosted: 25 May 2018Last Updated: 29 May 2018
Got to ask as 24 bit blows 16 bit out the water!
Richard DanePosted: 18 January 2018Last Updated: 24 May 2018
In a recent post regarding the recent Cheap Xmas LP set from Donald Fagen I made a wish for a similar set to be issued at some pint in the future of Steely Dan's output. With recent events in mind, I guess we will just have to see on that. It may take a while as the lawyers do their thing. However, it did set me thinking on what other issues from the past I'd like to see brought back - preferably done with care and from the best analogue source. Two or three immediately sprang to mind - all...
TOBYJUGPosted: 22 May 2018Last Updated: 24 May 2018
New " Super" group touring very early floyd at the moment. Channeling more Syd Ballet, than Syd Barret perhaps. Anyone lucky enough to have tickets ? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/mu...ls-thrilling-return/
SounsfaberPosted: 17 May 2018Last Updated: 24 May 2018
Hi, Huge gave an excellent description of Beethoven’s #7 a couple of weeks ago which motivated me to get the CD in. Who else but Furtwangler for the job. However because of the age, it’s a mono recording, I guess it’s from reel to reel. The CD is out of Japan legendary Performance/ Memorial edition Vienna Philharmonic orchestra. My question is...as far as Furtwangler, is there a remastered stereo version of Beethovens #7 and #8. Or because of the era it is what it is. I can get great...
nickpeacockPosted: 23 May 2018Last Updated: 23 May 2018
BBC Radio 3 - ’Unclassified’ series This is a gem of a series, focussing on artists whose music is in many ways unclassifiable. Often mixing classical (esp minimalism) and electronic with other elements, I’ve heard some fantastic stuff in the last week or so: a new piece by Laurie Anderson and The Kronos Quartet; Jon Hopkins (whose new album I’ve been meaning to buy but haven’t got round to); Colin Stetson (I had never heard of him - definitely going to buy his latest album) amongst many...
fathings catPosted: 20 May 2018Last Updated: 22 May 2018
This is definitely worth picking up (part of the latest rerelease campaign). Sounds fantastic. Gary
ConsciousmessPosted: 12 May 2018Last Updated: 22 May 2018
I mean as the original release. There are reasons behind this question of course, such as hearing a track on this compilation and considering buying the original album. Does the compilation producer get access to the original master tapes when combining tracks together??
KlydePosted: 21 April 2018Last Updated: 20 May 2018
I've just liked an album posted by Bert, because I like the cat on the cover! I've also added it to my Tidal albums list for audition later. I realised this might be fun to do this, as now rarely buy albums without listening first. My first album to get this 'treatment' was Vangelis - Albedo 0.39, which became a family favorite, as the first non-classical album in the house. The second was Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy, which sadly, but not unexpectedly didn't go down well with my parents!
nickpeacockPosted: 15 May 2018Last Updated: 15 May 2018
Just read about Glenn Branca's death in The Guardian. I confess I was not familiar with his name or work, but the article makes interesting reading: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/may/14/glenn-branca-dead-guitarist-composer Where should I start in exploring his work?
J.N.Posted: 27 April 2018Last Updated: 10 May 2018
New documentary on BBC4 TV at 9pm this evening. John.
ConsciousmessPosted: 02 May 2018Last Updated: 04 May 2018
I want to buy and download Knopfler’s Shangri La in 24bit 96kHz, but only the American site permits this, not the UK site. How can I get round this, as I cannot find this album in this resolution in the UK?? (Surely others have experienced similar frustrations??!)
Richard MorrisPosted: 29 April 2018Last Updated: 29 April 2018
Well written and interesting blog with lots of great jazz lp sleeves. https://spinningjazz.wordpress.com
SkipPosted: 28 April 2018Last Updated: 28 April 2018
And on the first weekend of Jazz Fest, too. Charles Neville, saxophonist of New Orleans giants The Neville Brothers, died Thursday in Huntington, Mass. at the age of 79, a representative confirmed to NPR Music. The cause was pancreatic cancer. The news was first reported by The Advocate . Charles Neville was the second-oldest of four brothers, all of whom would go on to form that legendary, eponymous and definitional Crescent City band. Chris Graythen/Getty Images WNNO's Gwen Thompkins pays...
SkipPosted: 25 April 2018Last Updated: 25 April 2018
Arkansas native played with Miles Davis and was the musical spark behind Schoolhouse Rock. Alita Mantels, secretary of the Arkansas Jazz Heritage Foundation, described Dorough as a jazz triple threat. "He wasn't just a pianist. He wasn't just a composer. He wasn't just a vocalist. He was all three simultaneously, equally proficient and unique." Born Dec. 12, 1923, in Cherry Hill near Mena to Robert Lee Dorough and Alma Audrey Lewis, Dorough moved with his family to Plainview, Texas, in 1934,...
Rich 1Posted: 16 April 2018Last Updated: 25 April 2018
Hi everyone, apart from Naim and Linn download sites what other sites do UK residents use to to get their Hi res downloads? Thanks in advance, Richard
TK421Posted: 14 April 2018Last Updated: 21 April 2018
My local town has in excess of ten charity shops all full of stuff someone no longer needs/wants. However, as we know one mans rubbish is another's treasure. Whilst volunteering at Age UK in between employment I did purchase a near mint vinyl copy of a Housemartins LP for a £1.00. I did refuse my staff discount. What is your best music/video purchase from a charity/thrift shop?
SniperPosted: 12 April 2018Last Updated: 17 April 2018
I saw this is on Amazon and wondered why the huge price difference. Any ideas? Katie Melua - Call Off The Search - Original Pressing Vinyl from $899.99 MP3 Music $5.99 Audio CD $7.38 Prime
Paper PlanePosted: 14 April 2018Last Updated: 14 April 2018
As I write this, my eyes (and nose) are streaming, my throat is tight and anyone looking in the window would worry I was having a seizure as I thrash around. I ain't. I'm lost in the awesome power of ROCK. This time it's Kingdom Come but it could be Quo, Maiden, RATM, Rammstein or any one of a thousand others. It still gets to me every time, even at age 66. There is nothing like the power of ROCK. How can I express the sheer ecstasy of loud, heavy ROCK? I can't in words, I just don't have...
Bert SchurinkPosted: 02 April 2018Last Updated: 10 April 2018
We have already been writing about this before. But I continue to have regular issues with the download processes. Meaning that I spent hours behind my pc rather then in front of my system. I am pretty upset as the problems continue to not get resolved. The only reason I am still doing business with them is that they often are the cheapest. But I am getting close to accept to pay a bit more and get my music from others which don’t have these issues
Bob the BuilderPosted: 26 March 2018Last Updated: 07 April 2018
I am awaiting the arrival of a used 2TB Liv Zen CD Ripper/Streamer which is basically an Innous Zen Mk1. It is apparently idiot proof but I have been known to be an idiot at times so wondered if anyone has any tips regarding software and ripping in general, I believe it uses the Logitech Media Server to stream Tidal etc but will I need a seperate programme to handle metadata? My intension is to build an extensive Jazz library by taking advantage of the very cheap CD's available but I am a...
Bert SchurinkPosted: 02 April 2018Last Updated: 05 April 2018
i thought some of you might be interested...... http://www.bl.uk/turning-the-pages/?id=0d3ac4d1-793c-4021-b178-9c666c90f2bc&type=book
SmithfirePosted: 02 April 2018Last Updated: 04 April 2018
Is there an uncredited cello on the outro of side 1 on Miles Davis Kind of Blue? Clive