Evolving the Naim Forum

Posted by: Charlie Henderson on 10 January 2019

Hi everyone,

For the Naim family, conversation and discussion is everything (apart from the music of course!)

We love to encourage the debate and support the sharing of some extraordinary expertise across the Naim Forum, and it is one of the foundations of our world. We all participate in the community in different ways, and to varying degrees, but one thing is for sure, it is fascinating, informative, passionate, and loads of fun.

So, we want to make it even easier to do this, and we’re going to be moving to a new Forum software platform from Tuesday 15th January 2019. Yes, it’ll be a change, but we're not just changing things for the sake of it. It’s a decision that’s not been taken lightly, and is simply intended to make it easier for you all to continue to do what you do best – share your thoughts, frustrations, expertise and aspirations. For example, you’ll be able to access elements of the Forum more easily from more devices, but the fundamentals of the Forum will remain as they are today.

And it goes without saying, you’ll be able to access and search all old and current topics. It may take a couple of weeks as we continue preparing an archive of all existing Forum posts, but we will lose nothing as we make the transition.

One of the great features of the new Forum is the ability to run polls. We intend to use these intensively as a feedback tool to create a more dynamic community, shaped by the feedback you provide, but it also gives all Forum members the opportunity to run their own polls too. Other features include the ability to access the Forum through a mobile app and post images directly, making the Forum a much more visually exciting place too. 

I’m sure some may be concerned by the move but we are doing this to help evolve and continue supporting the Naim Forum as the heart of our community. We look forward to feedback as the team move things across, and please bear with us as we do so, it’s a significant team effort. I’m sensitive to the fact that the change may not suit everyone straight away, but we’re genuinely doing it for the right reasons – to ensure the future of the Naim Forum as the heart of our community.

There is a link to FAQs relating to this HERE.

Thanks,
Charlie, Richard, and the Naim Forum team.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by iliria
Allan Milne posted:

3. Do not allow usernames - it is considered good practice in many spheres to use real names … posters should have the courage of their convictions.

I find this a pointless and rather dictatorial rule. How can you enforce it? How can you verify that the person has given a real name rather than a fake one? Apart from that, people are entitled to anonymity. This forum is not just about Naim stuff but also about people's political views and so on. And, whilst I agree that posters should have the courage of their convictions, at the same time they are bound by other rules in life. For example if you work for a local authoirty or government institution and you post a view on the forum which may be politicised then you can be disciplined if employer finds out about it (as you bring the employer into disrepute).

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Richard Dane
Clive B posted:

I've searched but don't find any invitation to the new forum, even though I was in the first 20 to register with the first Naim Audio forum. 

Clive, AFAIK an invitation was only sent to the Beta testers so they could beta test the new forum before launch on tuesday.

Richard, I do hope in the new forum you do address the issue of members quoting and re-quoting posts with pictures and so on. It is frustrating and it is purely caused by people being lazy. When I quote a post that contains a picture I simply delete the picture (or even the unnecessary text in it). I also delete the writing from the previous people that have quoted it so that my post doesnt have 10 layers of quotes in it.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Don Atkinson

Richard, I do hope that in the new forum you retain the option to quote and re-quote posts with pictures and so on. It has nothing to do with laziness. For example, I do it to ensure that people know precisely what i'm referring to, even though the quote may have been surpassed by a dozen or so subsequent posts, or there were other, similar posts to the one i'm referring to.

I don't do this all the time. For example, I didn't do it this time.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by SamClaus
iliria posted:
Allan Milne posted:

3. Do not allow usernames - it is considered good practice in many spheres to use real names … posters should have the courage of their convictions.

I find this a pointless and rather dictatorial rule. How can you enforce it? How can you verify that the person has given a real name rather than a fake one? Apart from that, people are entitled to anonymity. This forum is not just about Naim stuff but also about people's political views and so on. And, whilst I agree that posters should have the courage of their convictions, at the same time they are bound by other rules in life. For example if you work for a local authoirty or government institution and you post a view on the forum which may be politicised then you can be disciplined if employer finds out about it (as you bring the employer into disrepute).

I fully agree, we are totally entitled to anonymity. And it's not a question of courage: it's all too easy to find out where a person lives, their email address, etc. if you have their real name.

As far as having to re-register is concerned, Im rather surprised. I run a website for a professional association (only 700-800 members, admittedly) - we've been through several major changes (new host, etc., different CMS), and I don't think we've ever asked the members to re-register - but I may be mistaken.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Peder

???? Don Atkinson,...No need to quote 4, 5, 6, 7 or more Posts,..It's crazy,..no one reads it...That's silly.

It's just very,very annoying.

/Peder???? 

Peder posted:

???? Don Atkinson,...No need to quote 4, 5, 6, 7 or more Posts,..It's crazy,..no one reads it...That's silly.

/Peder???? 

Exactly Peder. People who have been following the thread would know very well what the conversation is about without the need to to quote multiple layered posts in one go.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by naim_nymph
Atom/Iota/Kan Stands posted:
Hook posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

Get rid of the heart/love icon for 'like". For something more appropriate.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/5f/69/91/5f69915fd495019241e0808c9c80b3ba--george-beatles-the-beatles.jpg

I see your thumb, and raise you a thumb.

Raised again, with a little help from...

https://imgur.com/UofEk5y

and with George too, "here comes the thumb, i say...."

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by joerand
Charlie Henderson posted:

One of the great features of the new Forum is the ability to run polls. We intend to use these intensively as a feedback tool

Running polls. This makes a lot of sense for an audio forum. I hate to be bothered filtering through objective feedback when it's so much easier to simply look at an approval rating.

This feature should also make evaluations more cut and dry for the marketing department.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by JamieWednesday

I’ve no problem using my real name.

Yours etc.

Yolanda Squatpump

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Don & Iliria, the new forum is actually much better in with the way that the quotes are done.  You just highlight the section of text that you wish to quote.  Then a little quote button appears on the text, click it and it automatically appears in a new reply box.  It means that quotes are better focussed and targeted. 

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by tonym

I did get an invitation to join the new forum the other day, but now I've fogotten the password I picked. Which wouldn't be a problem if I could remember the username wot I chose. Sod this getting old thing...

Tony, as a Beta tester you would have received an invitation to test out the Beat of the new forum before it launches.  If you need any assistance with getting access, just let me know.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by joerand
tonym posted:

I did get an invitation to join the new forum the other day, but now I've fogotten the password I picked. Which wouldn't be a problem if I could remember the username wot I chose. Sod this getting old thing...

Easy! Simply provide us your date of birth along with a credit card number and we'll log you right in 

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by JamieWednesday

Settle down brothers, all this infighting will only give succour to the unbelievers at the PFM (People's Front of Mana).

Having witnessed the unfortunate demise of our comrades in struggle, The Campaign for Free Lanarkshire, it would be disappointing to see such backbiting and murky undercurrents lead to the fall of our own noble endeavours, to wit, our movement designed to further the belief in all things related to the great man himself JC (Vereker).

I understand that feelings can run deep in relating our fears concerning the 21st Century corporate affairs machines and the potential for ruin brought on by 'The Class of 2012' management style. Some would even go so far as to state that they've bled us white, the bastards. That they've taken everything we had, and not just from us, but from our fathers, and from our fathers' fathers.

However, put yourselves in the Naim position, overseeing this motley, sometimes rebellious mob of forumites, sit back and ask yourselves (without wishing to labour the point)  "What have they ever given us in return?! What has The Forum ever done for us?"

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by BigH47

Oh dear! another platform change it only seems like last year that hopeless took over. I hope it goes better for everyone than that one appeared to.

Hopefully NAIM will have more input/control over this one.

Saying that I only came back in response to the e-mail to join (again). Still 17th and no posts since?.

H, would you believe that the last big change (to the Hoop La platform) was back in 2011!  That change was rather forced upon us and we had to make the best of a structure that didn't immediately translate so well into what we wanted from a forum. It was a slow and sometimes painful process to get to where we are now (I would just like to add here that the Social Strata staff were always really polite, responsive and helpful, even while we felt like we were trying to bend their "baby" to our particular will). However, the new forum should work better straight out of the box, and Naim will have much greater control over the structure and backend of the platform itself.  The only shame is that, because it's an entirely new provider, we have to start afresh and can't port in data and posts from the old forums.  That's why the old posts are being Archived, so they're not entirely lost and can be searched and referenced in future.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Don Atkinson
iliria posted:
Peder posted:

/Peder???? 

Exactly Peder. People who have been following the thread would know very well what the conversation is about without the need to to quote multiple layered posts in one go.

Not everybody follows threads every minute every day. Some of us play "catch-up" every  few days. We have a life.

Having a conversation neatly nested is helpful.

Ooops, just read Richard's subsequent post and glad to see that nesting and cut&paste will probably continue to exist.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Adam Meredith
joerand posted:
Charlie Henderson posted:

One of the great features of the new Forum is the ability to run polls. We intend to use these intensively as a feedback tool

This feature should also make evaluations more cut and dry for the marketing department.

Just don't make it too obvious - manipulation is more effective the less obvious it is.

Heaven knows how many NAC 552s & Co. I, and other owners, sold on the back of our enthusiasm - rather than some cack-handed appeal to peer status go forward.

At least the marketing department aren't behind this change over and the forum will continue without, overt, advertising.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by MDS
tonym posted:

Why would you not just reuse your existing user name, Tony? That's what I've done.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Clive B
Richard Dane posted:

H, would you believe that the last big change (to the Hoop La platform) was back in 2011!  That change was rather forced upon us and we had to make the best of a structure that didn't immediately translate so well into what we wanted from a forum. It was a slow and sometimes painful process to get to where we are now (I would just like to add here that the Social Strata staff were always really polite, responsive and helpful, even while we felt like we were trying to bed their "baby" to our particular will). However, the new forum should work better straight out of the box, and Naim will have much greater control over the structure and backend of the platform itself.  The only shame is that, because it's an entirely new provider, we have to start afresh and can't port in data and posts from the old forums.  That's why the old posts are being Archived, so they're not entirely lost and can be searched and referenced in future.

Was that a missed letter, auto-spell check or Freudian?

Clive B posted:
Richard Dane posted:

H, would you believe that the last big change (to the Hoop La platform) was back in 2011!  That change was rather forced upon us and we had to make the best of a structure that didn't immediately translate so well into what we wanted from a forum. It was a slow and sometimes painful process to get to where we are now (I would just like to add here that the Social Strata staff were always really polite, responsive and helpful, even while we felt like we were trying to bed their "baby" to our particular will). However, the new forum should work better straight out of the box, and Naim will have much greater control over the structure and backend of the platform itself.  The only shame is that, because it's an entirely new provider, we have to start afresh and can't port in data and posts from the old forums.  That's why the old posts are being Archived, so they're not entirely lost and can be searched and referenced in future.

Was that a missed letter, auto-spell check or Freudian?

Possibly a combination of all three!

Of course, I meant to say "bend", not "bed". I shall edit...

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Chief Chirpa.
Don Atkinson posted:
Chief Chirpa. posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

Does this mean the Beta Testers will have a "Head Start" in the new "Rankings" system.....

Don, Today, I drove my mum to Berlin (she loves Berghain) and had to endure the music on her iPhone. Consequently, I have posted nothing but Floyd, Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Genesis, and Snoop album covers in the new WAYLTNAWGAF.

Thanks to the 165 'Sausages' I have received for these great posts, I have a pretty good lead, and am almost 'Purple'.

20 years of blood sweat and tears, dreaming up the "Sleepwalking" thread, busting a gut on "Brexit or Bust", wracking my old brain to come up with miraculous "Teasers" every week.........and hanging on like death to that pinnacle in World Affairs in the Top Twenty of the Naim Forum...........(without posting pictures of albums that i've never owned nor listened to ). And for what !.........

................Future anonymity when somebody steals my Name and Avatar.............

I despair !!!!

Don, your threads are the bomb (the dot's on the bottom, btw), but reputations are made in the Music Room.

Remember the demographic. We know you love your underground Serbian hip hop, but you need to be listening to your big albums from big names - collaborations can save time here. Just been singing along to the title track of this classic...

Everyone loves that one, right?

CC

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Jeff Anderson
Richard Dane posted:

H, would you believe that the last big change (to the Hoop La platform) was back in 2011!  That change was rather forced upon us and we had to make the best of a structure that didn't immediately translate so well into what we wanted from a forum. It was a slow and sometimes painful process ....

The forum lost many great members during that process.  Many of them were capable of posting pictures in the music room with nary a word of text, and welcomed inquiry.  Not suggestions and demands (threats?)  for change needed to meet personal needs/browsing habits (as this thread has unfortunately confirmed is the current way of doing things).  Those old members are sorely missed, as is their approach in dealing with others on a public forum.   l owe them for probably half my music collection and am forever grateful to them.

Naim only provides the tool.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by sjw
Kevin-W posted:

Will our forum rankings be maintained [@mention:77737380917463397]?

I do hope not. I can see no point at all in people being given points for posting  a lot. It's not a Primary school playground .. just mutual advice and experiences

Surely it's meant to be an open thing? As it is I've never quite understood the way some people seem to want to 'Police' it and say certain questions aren't valid.