"Ham or Smith" show

Posted by: Jonathan Gorse on 12 August 2000

So who's going then to Hammersmith? And are naim going to let us know what they'll be demoing there. Will the 500/DBL's be putting in an appearance?

I've been toying with if there's a way of us forum members identifying ourselves to fellow forum members. I've come up with the idea of a t-shirt so far with some sort of naim forum related branding on it but am unsure whether I'm being a nerd about this or if it's a good idea - what do the rest of you think? It just strikes me that -it is an annual opportunity to meet for a drink in the bar or whatever. Maybe we should all just order a naim t-shirt off the web-site (do I get a free one for boosting your sales Mark???!!)

Jonathan
(Waiting for hicap delivery... eagerly)

[This message was edited by Jonathan Gorse on SATURDAY 12 August 2000 at 19:31.]

Posted on: 13 August 2000 by Jo Sharp
some of us got together over a beer last year - it was fun putting faces to e-names.

Count me in.

Jo

Jo

Posted on: 13 August 2000 by Martin Payne
When will the show be taking place?

cheers, Martin

Posted on: 13 August 2000 by Paul Stephenson
21st-24th September.
Posted on: 14 August 2000 by Martin Payne
Have you decided yet what you'll be demonstrating?

cheers, Martin

Posted on: 16 August 2000 by Paul Stephenson
We have only been able to get one room, the second room we had last year was so awfull we dropped it!
THe dilema for us is the new 5 series including the first appearance of the new 112 + 150. Then the 500 with NBL or DBL.
We have also been discussing a possibilty of having a CLOSED half hour and dem for the NAIM FORUM members here. This does cause some difficulties, times etc but we are working on it.
Posted on: 17 August 2000 by Kevin Hughes
quote:
We have also been discussing a possibilty of having a CLOSED half hour and dem for the NAIM FORUM members here.

Surprised no one else has commented on this, sounds like fun. You going to be doing this on every day, or are you going to risk all of us in the same place at the same time? That could be the mother of all arguments

Kevin.

Posted on: 17 August 2000 by Paul Stephenson
"That could be the mother of all arguments"
I doubt it but that would be the best for us.
The probelm would be for you all to be at the show at a fixed time. We would have preffered to do it before the show opened on Saturday for example but we are unable to get you into the show before opening time.

Posted on: 17 August 2000 by Andrew Randle
Paul said: "We have only been able to get one room, the second room we had last year was so awfull we dropped it!
THe dilema for us is the new 5 series including the first appearance of the new 112 + 150. Then the 500 with NBL or DBL.
We have also been discussing a possibilty of having a CLOSED half hour and dem for the NAIM FORUM members here. This does cause some difficulties, times etc but we are working on it."

It would probably be more profitable to demo the 5 series on the Saturday as that is when more people attend. The hard-core nuts can see the 500 system on the Sunday - a schedule would be cool.

Unfortunately I will miss both as I will be returning from Athens on the Sunday night.

Maybe I will try Bristol for the first time - is this a good event to attend?

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;

Posted on: 17 August 2000 by Willem van Gemert
quote:
... we are unable to get you into the show before opening time

What about after the show? The advantage is that the gear will be warmed up as well!

Unfortunately I'll be in Greece as well that weekend, so there is no way I could even consider visiting London for a weekend. I hope the Forum Meet will be a big succes and that it will be repeated next year at the Frankfurt High End for the continental Naimophiles.

Ciao!

Willem

P.S. Maybe a good opportunity for Joel to practice in portrait photography as well!

Posted on: 17 August 2000 by Jonathan Gorse
Paul,

A private session for the forum members would be really nice but can I selfishly beg you make it Saturday as I am in Oslo on Sunday!

Might be a good thing to do at the end of the day if you can't get us in before the show because we can all head to the bar for a beer together after we've had the 500/DBL experience!

Jonathan

THe best place for the dbl/500 experience may not be the Novotel, what about everyone nipping round to Joel's house.
Posted on: 17 August 2000 by Kevin Hughes
Paul said
quote:
THe best place for the dbl/500 experience may not be the Novotel, what about everyone nipping round to Joel's house.

Suits me, but it seems only fair for Joel to agree first. Mind you, no warm up issues

Kevin.

erm! could be a problem to get them, I still do not have mine but I think in the next few weeks, we can hit my place with 3.
We have not heard from Hock, we shipped his 500 before our holidays and the whole shipment was stolen!!!
We shipped another! I think all is ok, hopefully he is too busy listening to music to post here.
Posted on: 17 August 2000 by Jonathan Gorse
Paul,

Can certainly agree with you on Joel's system being the best place to hear 500/DBL's - best hi-fi system I have ever heard bar none.

I am in love with his DBL's!! In my humble opinion I think the DBL's are the single most significant element although everything plays its part but they just give such a huge sound, it's like having a band P.A in your living room but with amazing quality.

Jonathan

Posted on: 22 August 2000 by Rico
quote:
We have also been discussing a possibilty of having a CLOSED half hour and dem for the NAIM FORUM members here. This does cause some difficulties, times etc but we are working on it.

Bring it on! If you guys make the effort to arrange such an event, the least we can do is attend - I mean, it would be rude not to!

Rico - musichead

ricomuzik@hotmail.com

Posted on: 22 August 2000 by Martin Payne
Hey, great idea.

Look forward to hearing more on this!

cheers, Martin

Posted on: 23 August 2000 by Andrew Randle
Seeing as I will miss the Hammersmith show, I may be interested. Although I haven't met any of you guys yet.

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;

Posted on: 25 August 2000 by Doug Graham
If any of the forum contributers who would like to visit us at the forthcoming Novotel London Hi-Fi Show please let us know as we are prepared to make special arrangements to have a VIP demonstration on both Saturday and Sunday. We could close the room to the general public from 4.00 to 4.30pm on each day to allow Forum members the opportunity to listen and chat with Naim staff. If you are interested then please get in touch. And no, we're not going to tell you which system we'll be playing. You'll just have to come along.

later

Doug

Posted on: 25 August 2000 by Mick P
Doug

I am flying out to Ibiza for a fortnights clubbing on the Sunday morning and intend to stay in London overnight.

Therefore I could make the Saturday, only problem being, that I will have the wife in tow.

If anyone mentions toilet roll covers ....god help them.

Regards

Mick

Posted on: 25 August 2000 by Kevin Hughes
Sunday please.

Kevin.

Posted on: 26 August 2000 by Jonathan Gorse
Doug,

Eilish and I would love to come and see you on the Saturday! Will be interesting to see some faces (and toilet roll covers) too! ;-)

Jonathan

Posted on: 29 August 2000 by wan-chun chen
Doug

Count me in and my girlfriend, we will be there on Saturday!!

cheers, wan-chun

[This message was edited by wan-chun chen on TUESDAY 29 August 2000 at 11:41.]

Posted on: 29 August 2000 by Tony L
quote:
We could close the room to the general public from 4.00 to 4.30pm on each day to allow Forum members the opportunity to listen and chat with Naim staff. If you are interested then please get in touch.

I will definitely turn up for at least one one of the days, I am comming down to London for the weekend. Looks like people are split over both days, might have to do both to meet everyone!

Cheers

Tony.

Hoping for some good jazz on vinyl buying at the show...

Posted on: 29 August 2000 by Martin Payne
I've already e-mailed, but I'm not quite sure if I got the address OK. (I just clicked on the icon and got the address DOUG@AOL.COM.

So, in case it didn't get through I'll see you on the Sunday.

cheers, Martin

Posted on: 13 September 2000 by Timbo
I'm game for Sunday - please let it be the DBLs as I've never heard them.

Tim