HDX is here - GFFJ your prayers answered.

Posted by: Staedtler on 23 April 2008

On the Naim News page...

HDX
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by goldfinch
would be great if anyone from Naim would give details about this in the forum!

Maybe Naim thinks they could spoil the new product surprise effect but I am sure Naimees would appreciate it.

I remember last car I bought, a new model was just about to be presented in a car fair, manufacturer even didn't inform dealers about the new model features, I had to take a decision quick and as I couldn't find out what was the new model offering I went to the competition.
Many people at the forum had shown great interest in these kind of product, I guess some of them wouldn't have bought other's brand similar products if they would have known HDX was coming...
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by Yetizone
It would be interesting to see pix and specs Winker

K
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by John Channing
I'll be waiting for the HDS. Winker
John
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by michael1702
what's the hdx? just another name for naimnet ns01 or something completely different?
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by goldfinch:
would be great if anyone from Naim would give details about this in the forum!

You will need to be patient until "Thursday 24th April, 2.30pm GMT" at which time the knowledge becomes officially public.

No one will be posting information until then - unless they want a spanking.
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by michael1702
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Meredith:

so it will be something completely different! (-: great!
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by Onthlam
My wish would be the HDX is an ipod,Naim style.
I would gobble that up in a second!

If it is a handheld? I still think it should be named the."Na-Palm".
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by themrock
the hdx should support the common formats like
wav, flac and mp3.
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by u5227470736789439
I am very curious! And hopeful! George
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by living in lancs yearning for yorks
quote:
Originally posted by John Channing:
I'll be waiting for the HDS. Winker
John

Why not the HD555? (ahem)
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by Rodborough
quote:

Hmmm, tempting....... Better not

Warmest regards

Norman
Partner - UHES
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by pjl
I am not very kwowledgable about hard disk players. Presumably one would transfer a CD collection to the hard disk, and this would make it more accessable. However, for those with many hundreds or thousands of CD's, surely this would take a ridiculous amount of time? Then what to do with the CD's, bin them as they are no longer required? Also how to transfer them in the digital domain - certainly not using a Naim CD player!? If you want to add a new CD, you go out and buy it, transfer it to hard disk and then bin it? I have the feeling I must be missing something as I simply cannot see a lot of point in all this. Is the convenience factor of hard disk so powerful a selling point?

Peter
quote:
Originally posted by pjl:
Then what to do with the CD's, bin them as they are no longer required?

For copyright - you should probably retain them.
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by Whizzkid
quote:
I am not very kwowledgable about hard disk players. Presumably one would transfer a CD collection to the hard disk, and this would make it more accessable. However, for those with many hundreds or thousands of CD's, surely this would take a ridiculous amount of time? Then what to do with the CD's, bin them as they are no longer required? Also how to transfer them in the digital domain - certainly not using a Naim CD player!? If you want to add a new CD, you go out and buy it, transfer it to hard disk and then bin it? I have the feeling I must be missing something as I simply cannot see a lot of point in all this. Is the convenience factor of hard disk so powerful a selling point?

Peter

Pjl,

The machine probably will come with a CD Rom drive and you just rip a CD before you'd like to listen to it and that will take 4 or 5 minutes. Now also keep the original for "BACKUP PURPOSES" (hardrives are known to fail and take all the data with them) and for information on the music present on the now ripped to HD music. Repeat until all music collection is ripped or HD is full.

Simple really!

Dean..prefers physical media rather than faffing with servers.
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by 555
quote:
Then what to do with the CD's, bin them as they are no longer required?

quote:
For copyright - you should probably retain them.

Also retain CDs for data corruption on drive, drive failure, infection of drive/system by virus & other malware, burglar steals your HD player (music collection goes with player), etc ...
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by Steve S1
quote:
keep the original for "BACKUP PURPOSES" (hardrives are known to fail and take all the data with them)

Dean,

If you put some of your tunes on it, it may well self destruct. Smile

Steve
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by Whizzkid
quote:
Originally posted by Steve S1:
quote:
keep the original for "BACKUP PURPOSES" (hardrives are known to fail and take all the data with them)

Dean,

If you put some of your tunes on it, it may well self destruct. Smile

Steve

Steve,

Cannot wait for my dealer to get one so I can find out, Muhahahahahahahahah!

Dean..
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by EdoJames
quote:

Peter

A great part-time job I could envision for high school/college kids: paying them somewhere around minimum wage (and all the music they could take away on their iPods?) to do the tedious task of uploading CD after CD to the music server...

...the thing I remember most about copying vinyl to cassettes was that in many cases I'd be sick of the songs after I'd taken so much time to make sure they got copied correctly.
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by pjl
Thanks for the responses. I am still left feeling puzzled as to what is the great attraction of music servers over CD players? There must be one, or they wouldn't be marketed. I just don't see it. Do people intend to replace their CDX2's or CDS3's with servers in the long term? Sorry if I'm being very dense, but please could someone explain what the big advantages are (presumably not sonic, at least in the short trem)?

Peter
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by Warren
quote:
Thanks for the responses. I am still left feeling puzzled as to what is the great attraction of music servers over CD players? There must be one, or they wouldn't be marketed. I just don't see it. Do people intend to replace their CDX2's or CDS3's with servers in the long term? Sorry if I'm being very dense, but please could someone explain what the big advantages are (presumably not sonic, at least in the short trem)?

Peter

Main benefits:

1) once the music on the hard disk, have instant access to whole collection.

2) Don't have to change CD when playing for many hours

3) its portable

4) Doesn't deteriate with use (unlike my CDs). That's a definite sonic benefit that I can easily demonstrate.

5) Can create playlists

6) Downloads

They're probably best for those who use computers a lot. Takes me about 5 seconds of effort to rip a CD and create a backup. The convenience as I listen to music why working is immense.

Still prefer vinyl, should be ripping that soon with a sonneteer sedley.

I use a squeezebox at the moment but watching eagerly.
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by EdoJames
quote:

Peter

1. no need to worry about your CD transport becoming obsolete, with no way to replace it.

2. no need to worry about CDs that can't be read by a particular transport.

3. as the quality of downloadable music improves, they'll be less need for the space to store the physical media. Hard drives will replace CDs-- no more storage racks, misplaced CDs, fast cracking plastic covers, etc.
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by pcstockton
With a $600 PC and a $1000 DAC, you can have what some people are spending $10K on for a transport.

Upgrade the DAc and you can go far...
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by intothevoid
Hard Disks? So passé, darling.

Come on Naim, your R&D need to get with it! SSD (solid state disks) are the way to go now.

(And the moral of the story is... even the hard disk server is already out-of-date Frown )
quote:
Originally posted by intothevoid:
SSD (solid state disks) are the way to go now.

How retro.

The, fairly, obvious future is instantaneous download on demand. No local storage.
Posted on: 23 April 2008 by glevethan
quote:

How retro.
The, fairly, obvious future is instantaneous download on demand. No local storage.

Why not just have the band come over to the house Big Grin