52 installation

Posted by: Wolf2 on 17 September 2008

Quick question on installing my 52. I have no idea what the 2a and 2b plugs are for.
I take it
3 is for CD
4 tuner
5 vcr
6 Superline which now becomes the phono.

Anyone able to help me?
Posted on: 17 September 2008 by Wolf2
As usual, I waited all day for the UPS delivery. Put off food shopping, lunch with a friend and banking. It finally arrived 7 PM.

Poor little guy that had to get the box out, very slight build, 52 and Scap in same large box from NANA. I carried it up the steps and it was difficult for me.

g
Posted on: 17 September 2008 by u5227470736789439
Dear Glenn,

I wish I could remember. I used to have a 52. I hope someone will chime in. I never really understood all the 52 inputs, and let some one show me, which helps you not one bit. Sorry.

You will enjoy the 52 though!

ATB from George
Posted on: 17 September 2008 by Patrick F
glen best to give nana a call.
duh, why didn't I think of that, I called my dealer and left a message. I have the manuals but just saying somethings powered doesn't mean anything to me.

I know I skip the phono on the left now that I have the Superline.

I just got a call from my dealer. He said the 2a or 2b is where I plug the Superline in. so that will now become my phono. It will correspond with my current front CD so everything will be shifted around on the front. I'll actually just put my CD on the tape button, glad I don't have to deal with a tape deck.

glenn

Now I can proceed to finishing this project up, it's almost noon here. the place is a mess because I had to move furniture, plant and boxes galore.
are you powering the superline from the 52.

if so use 2b if not use 2a.
Posted on: 17 September 2008 by Mark Gilbert
I'm sure you got the attachments worked out so I'll just observe that my 52 had labels that could be moved to different buttons. See if you can just move the phono label, cd label, etc. onto the buttons corresponding to the connections you made on the rear. I'm sure that the flexible labeling is part of why they labeled the inputs numerically rather than calling them "CD", "Tuner", etc.
My 52 also had an input that was of variable gain. (only installable on inputs 4, 5, or 6 as I recall.) You might try to verify whether or not that is true for yours. This might be easiest to answer by asking the prior owner rather than opening the case.
Enjoy!
Mark
Posted on: 17 September 2008 by dave simpson
FWIW, input 3 should be the best sounding.

Have fun, Glenn, I'm jealous;-)
Posted on: 17 September 2008 by jacques (JD12)
quote:
Originally posted by dave simpson:

Is there any reason about this input Roll Eyes

Jacques
Posted on: 17 September 2008 by kuma

Glen,

This is with just a lowly Stageline K, but the connection to the Superline is as above.

As for the front display, these are the stickers that can be moved around. It should have come with a sheet of extra stickers, too.
Mine has three phonos.
The first phono is its internal MM, Phono 1 is to the Superline, Phono 2 are for a non Naim phono.

Have fun.
it is in close proximity to the input buffer.
Posted on: 17 September 2008 by Adam Meredith
If your 52 has phono boards fitted inside - you will obtain an appreciable boost to sound quality if you remove (and store) them.
I know Adam,

But I didn't wanna give up a convenience of having an MM phono.

I'm deaf anyways, so highly doubt I can hear the difference! Smile
of course you are. Winker
Thanks all I got it set up, I have those stickers and NANA took out my boards. Also for 3 weeks after service they warmed up the boxes for me and it's all sounding great.

Glad I don't have to go thru all that again EVER! I mean it... EVER!

Now to lay down.
glenn
Posted on: 17 September 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by kuma:
I know Adam

There goes my mystery.

Given that you are running your SuperLine off the 52 (is that right?) you should experiment with taking the boards out. I shall be checking.
Now Adam,

I thank you for feeding my neurosis. :x
Posted on: 19 September 2008 by Wolf2
I thought it was all working right, but I was so rushed to get it all cleaned up I put on an LP and it seemed fine. A friend came over and the right speaker isn't working, little crackling sounds and it was making noise like wind on a microphone without a record playing. He was getting drinks and coming back from the kitchen. I put on a CD to see if it was also there, I had not turned down the volume and bent down in front of my speaker with ear 6" from it.

AAAAAYYAAAAAAAHHHH! was the first thing she sang. I had such a shocked face , Eduardo just laughed and laughed. I have to test the connections this evening when I have time and without liquor.

Question:
Since the Superline is so delicate and wiggly, should I put the screw plug back in before I start pulling the connections in and out? I'm using the RCA plugs with the Rega P5.

I'll also be checking the connections in back of the 52.
oh I just did a test, the Right is still not working but I put it on mono and the Right speaker is working.

Any idea guys? It's really tight behind my kit so working on the plugs is difficult. I remember having a tough time with one DIN but don't remember what that had gone to. Maybe tomorrow I'll unplug from the 52 again.
Posted on: 19 September 2008 by Patrick F
if it works in mono its not the amp if it works in stereo on a cd player its not the preamp on that connection. so its either the din input on for the superline or the needle/cart.
Probably that one DIN that I felt I had trouble with. I'm also going to replug the RCAs in the back of the Superline.

Instead of trying to reach in back I'll have to move furniture so I can see it from the side. Glad I have long arms. Tho sometimes it helps to have a friend on the other side to see which cable wiggles.

I showed one friend the back of the system peering down at the top, his comment was
"Holy ----!"

But it really sounds incredible when you listen to the subtleties and voicing. I often listen to it with my eyes closed so I don't get visually distracted.
Posted on: 19 September 2008 by dave simpson
quote:
Originally posted by jacques:
quote:
Originally posted by dave simpson:

Is there any reason about this input Roll Eyes

Jacques

Jacques,

I recall reading here years ago about input 3 having the shortest ground path on the PCB. I'm not sure if that was speculation or fact regarding its superiority though.

regards,

dave
Posted on: 20 September 2008 by David Dever
It varies on every preamp–and on the NAC52, varies based on PCB revision. Ears are best to determine this at this point.
Posted on: 20 September 2008 by jacques (JD12)
Thanks, I tried input 2 and 3 with my NAT 01 and my seedie.... and hear no difference between these 2 inputs so I should send my ears to Salisbury for a complete service Big Grin

Jacques
Posted on: 20 September 2008 by Wolf2
well, this is very vexing. I have turned the system all off 2 x now. I have removed and reconnected the Superline RCAs and DIN plugs after putting the screw back in. I made sure they were well fitted.

And I traced the Sniac5 to the back of the 52, and reconnected that a couple times. the only problem I see is that I have to have the Sline on the right which stretches the cable a bit in the 52.

Still no sound in the right speaker, but CD is fine.
Posted on: 20 September 2008 by Wolf2
And the speaker works in mono.

I've been really careful not to tilt the superline too much and put the screw in the bottom for any plugging or unplugging somehow I can only suspect the Sniac.

What does it actually do, provide power to the Superline right? And the TT feeds the Superline which sends a signal back thru the Sniac5.