Thank you - Decision made(ish)

Posted by: u5227470736789454 on 28 August 2008

Hi,

I have been "lurking" on here for a little while now asking the odd question about this or that. It has been an unusual journey, I began looking at home-cinema / stereo and have ended up deciding on a streaming hi-fi, the latter is down to all the people who have responded directly to my questions and to the many discussions about the pro's and cons of streaming (and some listening sessions of course)

Given all this info and following a good meeting with one of the guys from Latham ( NL importer )I decided that the streaming route is the route, the HDX is in the future for me, so my chosen system will be Supernait, Flatcap 2x, DC1 connect and an Apple TV, I just need to finalise my speakers a choice of Totem Staff/Hawk, Neat 4i, Audio Physic Tempo VI. This hopefully will give me performance approaching that of a CD5X ( I'd rather put the cost of the CD5X money towards my HDX fund )

Any thoughts you have about this will be gratefully received as I have a little time yet as I need to listen to a couple of the speakers before laying out the cash.

Thanks again, this really is a great forum

Barrie
Posted on: 28 August 2008 by pcstockton
I dont think the Apple TV supports hi-res audio. You might want to check into that.

I would NOT consider any bits of kit that do not support at least 24/96.

Unless you are a NOS DAC kinda guy.

Also, you might get more responses if you post the speaer part of your question over in HiFi.

It is just the cast-outs and Munch over here.
Posted on: 28 August 2008 by u5227470736789454
Thanks,
As I mention I have canned the idea of 5.1 Home cinema etc and have just decided on pure stereo, but I will check into the Apple tv point you made.
Posted on: 28 August 2008 by KTMax
Barrie, just out of curiosity, have you actually heared the HDX next to a say a CDX2 on the system before deciding that it's your future?..

I'll be doing that coming saturday.

Richard.
Posted on: 28 August 2008 by thesherrif
Baz
Neat Momentum 4i's are stonking with the SN..... Naim have used them at a show this year I believe.

One question though..... what are you streaming from ? PC, Laptop, or MAC ?
Posted on: 28 August 2008 by garyi
Hi, I would not let hi def be the deciding factor. This is purely software based and no doubt if it became main stream would soon be supported.

If you are intent on importing your cd collection then an appletv or similar will be just fine.
I listened to the HDX but it was a pre-production, I think you will be hearing a production version on Saturday in Amsterdam if I am correct.
I am hanging back on the HDX slightly hence the Apple as an interim, that way I can still move to investing in a cd if it looks like the way to go.
Posted on: 28 August 2008 by John R.
@ baz 100: Good decision! You will like the HDX. But keep in mind that Naim does suggest not to use WLAN with the HDX for streaming from external devices for sonic reasons. They prefer LAN cable (cat 5e).

Right now I am still in the process of feeding my HDX with huge amounts of CDs, but I already tried some downloaded 24bit 96kHz music and played it using a USB memory stick: Wow!!! This is the future:-)
Ref the streaming, I want to get the music easily accessible for the girlfriend and I would like to get as simple a set-up as possible, running Music, DVD, Cable running through it - hence the S/N. I was thinking of using an Apple TV as the source with a direct connection to the S/N. I can then control it with an iTouch. I have already got my CD collection ripped to apple lossless so moving it to the Apple TV shouldn't be too bad. But I am still learning so any insights will be useful
Posted on: 28 August 2008 by garyi
The apple tv has spdif out and the supernait spdif in, so that bit is easy.

Ideally you will have an ethernet connction for the appletv other wise it ill work wirelessly.

Plug the apple tv into the supernait and then into the tv with either HDMI or component (If your tv has neither then it might be game over)

Turn it on and follow the instructions. At the pre appointed time goto your computer with itunes on and enter the passcode.

And thats it.

As for the ipod. Download the remote software and hook the ipod onto the home wireless network. Your devices will appear such as itunes on the computers and the appletv. Select each and enter the passcodes on the devices.

Job done.
Cheers Gary, I am much obliged, and it doesn't sound too awful as an exercise which is good !
I am really looking forward to sorting the speakers out so that I can get on with enjoying the "Naim" music. Any comments on sound quality, or my potential speaker choice ?
Posted on: 28 August 2008 by pcstockton
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
Hi, I would not let hi def be the deciding factor. This is purely software based and no doubt if it became main stream would soon be supported.

Yeah right....

24/96 is my main reason for going to a FLAC-to-DAC source.

I WOULD NOT discount this.
Posted on: 28 August 2008 by gary1 (US)
Baz, I don't know your budget, but I have the SN/FC2x/CD5x (probably going with the HDX) and I have Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M and they are terrific. Even better when I heard what was possible with 24/96 A/D digital recorded vinyl and playback.
sorry to be dim, but what would you use to deliver hi-def audio ?
I heard the 24/96 at my dealers place using a Nagra /HC2x combination--amazing. For now I'm playing CD's, but the plan is to convert CD catalogue to ripped files which for me allows better quality playback than my CD5x and music management. I await the release of 24 bit material.
Hiya Gary,
I was going to go with the same system as you ( excluding speakers ), but have decided to hold back on the CD5x with the possibility of going to the HDX !!
My origional budget for the speakers was about 2100 pounds inc stands, and I thought of floor standers because of bass. The other issue I have is space I need a footprint around the size of an A4 and they cannot be too fussy on positioning
Is it still worth listening to the cremonas ?
Cheers
quote:
Originally posted by baz100:
Hiya Gary,
I was going to go with the same system as you ( excluding speakers ), but have decided to hold back on the CD5x with the possibility of going to the HDX !!
My origional budget for the speakers was about 2100 pounds inc stands, and I thought of floor standers because of bass. The other issue I have is space I need a footprint around the size of an A4 and they cannot be too fussy on positioning
Is it still worth listening to the cremonas ?
Cheers

Baz, I think so. I was able to get a pair of demos as the "new" version was released and while the new speaker was better it was very close. What I paid was in your budget. Normally they are more expensive than this. I would say -do have a listen--that at least is free!!
Posted on: 28 August 2008 by KTMax
quote:
I listened to the HDX but it was a pre-production, I think you will be hearing a production version on Saturday in Amsterdam if I am correct.

It will be in Leiden. Not at a SummerSounds show. I want to audition it alone (with my dealer) in an identical setup as my own.

Richard.
Posted on: 30 August 2008 by Dengyung
Hi baz100,

Am having setup similar to your plan. I used AppleTV (sync with my iMac, appleloss format)to deliver music directly to my Supernait via optical, then through Naim's own cables to Sonus Faber Cremona. You are right on bass, I have audited SF Cremona Auditor (have not tried the new auditor M though)and had decided to go for floor standers, ending up with my pair of Cremona. The music out of this setup is very enjoyable.

But I would strongly recommend you to consider adding Lavry's DA10 to your system. I have recently bought one, following advice from our friends on the forum. This Dac is way better than the one in the Supernait; by a very big margin. I have ordered the XLR-Din cable from Flashback to link it up with my Supernait (they've wired it for the DA10, so no need for me to muddle with the jumpers). Excellent results.

I have no experience in delivering hi-def audio but for the time being, very happy with my setup with AppleTv for ripped CDs.
Posted on: 30 August 2008 by pylod
hi dengyung...

have you tried to connect the mac directly with the lavry.. like the most do it here ?..it would be very interesting to hear how the influence of the airport transfer to the apple tv compares to direct way via optical. we still havenīt heard from that influence in that case here on the forum.

can apple or AE handle hi def files like 24/96 ?

best regards p
Posted on: 30 August 2008 by Dengyung
Hi baz100,

Have not tried mac directly to lavry yet but thinking of borrowing my son's macbook to give it a try next week. Did try airport though, not very stable, may be it was problem with my home network; hence the switch to AppleTv. No experience with hi def, may be some other more experienced friends on the forum can help. Only started seriously listening to music a year ago, (got my first set of amp and speakers etc last summer) .....still learning and spending Big Grin .

regards
Posted on: 02 September 2008 by pcstockton
quote:
sorry to be dim, but what would you use to deliver hi-def audio ?

Not dim at all.... good question.

For starters there WERE SACD and DVD-A.

Now you will most likely only find them available in a FLAC or WAV format.

These will be sourced from one of the following:

- An analog to digital transfer from vinyl or tape.
- An artists website, possibly free
- A "labels" website downloads - Linn etc...

To play these, you will either burn to a DVD-R and play on your DVD player, or simply play through a PC-DAC combo.
Posted on: 03 September 2008 by u5227470736789454
Hi Folks,

As usual, the b###er factor comes into play, I am sure that for me Streaming is the way to go, some of the other threads have mentioned the performance of SN dac vs the Lavry, my thought was therefore to potentially add the Lavry into the mix. However I have now had the question from Julian (another forumite )"why not go for the 200/202/ Lavry combination" and to be honest I don't know the answer ( apart from cost )

Choices
S/N, Flatcap, Mac, lavry ( do i really need the Lavry for it to sound good )

200/202/ Mac/ lavry

Will I need to factor anything else in for either for example 200/202 Power supplies etc, what are your opinions of

sound

Suitability for my needs Mac, Cable TV,
DVD - in stereo

I am pushing my buget if I go the SN route especially as I need to factor in for the lavry and also Speakers, and will break it if I go the 200/202 route, and I also want to avoid having to further upgrade to get really good sound as I don't to bust my budget just to find that I "really need" to invest even more money to get the best sound from the system.

I will be arranging a demo hopefully this week ( excluding the Lavry )but I would also appreciate comments based on your experience

Seperate but connected issue any comments on Totem Sttaf, totem Hawk of Audio Physic Tempo VI speakers ?

Cheers and thanks for all the helpful advice

Barrie
Posted on: 03 September 2008 by KTMax
If you break it down to a fundamental question first, will a 202/200 combo sound better than the SN? Yes, by a mile.

I thought that the SN would be a great upgrade from my Olive 102/Hi/180. Single box'n all, loved the idea. A-B auditioning was a cold shower back to reality. Guess it was too good to be true to be honest. The SN is a fine sounding amp but a 202/Hi/200 combo plays in a different musical league than the SN/Hi.

Richard.
Posted on: 03 September 2008 by u5227470736789454
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the response, you also added the bit about using a hi-cap ( + 1500 euros ) and it was very helpful. What does the 200/202 sound like without it

Sn + FC2 = @ 4275 euro ( + hi = 4900 euro )
200/202/Hi = @ 5900 euro

Both plus Lavry Eek

Barrie
Posted on: 03 September 2008 by KTMax
I don't know how a 202/200 sounds without a Hi. But when I think back when I added a Hi to my 102/180 years ago I felt it should be prohibited to buy them without. The improvement is that big. Guess it's the same with the 202/200.

Richard.