UHES interesting day out to hear some distributed audio

Posted by: Guido Fawkes on 10 October 2008

I was not able to stay for the whole day, but for some very enjoyable hours. Thank you to Norman, Ian and Ian’s mum for their hospitality and organising an interesting event. Those present were JN, RL, JH and me - it was very good to meet some fellow forum members.

We compared several digital players using the Beatles Get Back from the Love album and a Kate Bush track from Aerial. The players I heard included the Sneaky, Majik, Accurate, CD5i, CD5X, CD5X-FC2, CDX2, MacLavry 16 and MacLavry 24.

The system in which these players were tried used a NAC552 into some Adam active speakers with built-in power amps. How much this influenced my perception I cannot say, but all things were equal. I didn’t get to hear the HDX on this occasion.

From my perspective it was just about which player I liked the most. Others are far better at describing differences. There’s also a psychological element of being with very pleasant company and sharing views. Mine is an opinion I think was not inconsistent with others, but please wait from them to post to read their views. Also take in to account that I use a system that I chose carefully to suit my budget and favoured presentation of music that in itself may colour my judgement.

So I shall definitely be keeping, using and enjoying my CDX2. Of the players we tried it was the clear winner for me. There is no implication that the other players were bad, far from it. But the CDX2 just made me listen more intently, got my foot tapping the most, made me want to join in and sing-a-long (I didn’t as that would have spoiled it for everybody). So for my particular taste I feel lucky that I have the player that best suits me.

So if I wasn’t allowed the CDX2 then what would I choose. Well without any doubt it is the CD5X, I’m not sure I’d want the FC2 in the context of this set-up. Again I’ve heard this player a fair few times and always liked it and so my continued liking of this machine is no surprise.

And in third place, as a main player, I would have to put the CD5i. It’s presentation reminds me of the Rega Apollo. These players do not sound the same, but they share something that makes it easy to enjoy the way they play music.

For a second system to sit in my small office then the Sneaky is certainly an option. I thought this player was good value and fun to listen to. It doesn’t completely suit though because I would need to drive it from a hard-disk store across a computer network, but it would be hard not to like it. It does what it sets out to do very well without ever threatening seriously good sub £1k CD players like the CD5i or Rega Apollo IMHO.

I preferred MacLavry when the Mac was set to output in 24-bit mode rather than 16-bit mode, which is odd because the CD that supplied the music for ripping was, of course, 16-bit. This combination certainly produced an acceptable sound and I would again suggest it is good value for money. It is not quite the office system I’m looking for, but I can easily understand why so many folk like it. It is very smooth in its presentation. I found I preferred the MacLavry to any of the Linn DS players.

So all in all a very interesting day - what did I learn? Well I re-affirmed that I have a system at home that is very right for me. I also learned there are other viable choices that are highly enjoyable if different from what I have grown into. It is a good situation and to be honest you can’t really lose. You just choose whichever suits you best and enjoy the music.

The only time I didn’t enjoy what I was hearing was when it was playing music that I didn’t personally like - ironically that was with the very best player I heard, but was not used in the comparative tests.

Sorry that is the best I can do fo a write-up; no doubt some will say they could have predicted I would prefer the CDX2, but that is the way it turned out - I am nothing if not boringly consistent.

Thanks once again to those who made it an enjoyable day

ATB Rotf
Posted on: 10 October 2008 by garyi
No HDX?

Shame.
Posted on: 11 October 2008 by james n
Nice write up ROTF. Again shame about the HDX not making an appearance - it would have been an interesting comparison in this company.

James
Posted on: 11 October 2008 by thesherrif
Which track from Aerial ROTF ? I'm genuinely interested since I use tracks from that album to compare my set ups !

( Good innit ?)
Posted on: 11 October 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
Originally posted by thesherrif:
Which track from Aerial ROTF ? I'm genuinely interested since I use tracks from that album to compare my set ups !

( Good innit ?)
Hi
'Twas Joanni and yes it is very good
ATB Rotf
Posted on: 11 October 2008 by jon h
Just back from the long trip.

Firstly, thanks to the team at UHES for an utterly superb day -- their facilities are second to none, their stock quite mind boggling, and their knowledge outstanding. The lunch was amazing too. It was long day -- I got there just after 9am, and the last of us left around 1.30am. Tired but happy. Extremely educational. Most excellent to meet ROTF for the first time, and to remake other acquaintances.

In essence, we had everything cd or cd-esque replay from both Naim and Linn as source, plus MacLavry and a few other oddities. Rest of system was 552 feeding the Adam active speakers. I had acquainted myself with the system on Thursday evening, because I dropped by en route to hotel to drop of one of my Supercap 2's for UHES to set up on the superline (more later).

First big session started at the bottom of the Naim CD hierarchy. CD5i (I think?) -- nice, bouncy, good value. CD5x -- better all round. Add flatcap -- not convinced -- "chrome plated" was how I described it. More hifi with same music, so not a real stepup for me.

The MacLavry -- some nice elements. Reasonable rhythm between bass and mid. Lacking detail all over. Splashy top. Slightly metallic, hard sound -- brash. Frankly, exactly what I expected from a 500 quid DAC. Nice, better than a plain laptop, but lets not get over excited. It simply doesnt deliver high-end performance. we tried multiple tracks, back and forth. Multiple settings. iTunes doing 96k/24-bit resampling was better - treble was cleaner, but really no cigar. True hi-def material was a clear step-up, but much detail missing, and no real sense of scale, muddy and limited compared to (much more expensive) proper devices -- this is not a criticism per se, its a cheap device. Lavry do a whole range of bigger and better devices.

Linn Sneaky -- what a lovely little thing. Not very sophisticated. Like a little puppy. Lots of scampering and panting, and reasonable tunes and music making. Nothing too detailed, but what it couldnt manage, it didnt screw up. Will be ordering one for my system.

Then superb lunch created by Ian's mother (who is also a wicked tea maker too.

Next session we did the mid range Naim cd players -- cdx2 with/without xps2 -- much as you would expect -- a much more serious cd sound. Plus the middle two linn units at 1700 quid and 3500 quid ish. Didnt like either of the Linn DS's -- pretentions of hifi grandeur but didnt deliver. Disappointing. More Lavry, I think -- nope, still stuck in its low-end groove.

Most excellent tea including home-made cake. Blame Ian's mother again!

Next session we went up to top Linn DS at 9 grand or so. Very nice, not as good as 555 but really not bad at all. And it was playing off NAS server. 555 was good, but I didnt like the upgrade to double PSU. More "chrome plating" -- more hifi, no more music. Not a solution I could recommend, I'm afraid.

Then we did top Linn DS at 9grand but on hidef music -- really stunning. Really really really really good. This is a whole new canvas for high-end audio -- finally, something mastertape-like in the home. Big breakthrough.

Then superb dinner down at the pub

Then back to listening room. Finally we did superline/supercap from naime'd linn (lp12, aro, armaged, XV1S) using the 453ohm chrome plug, the 453ohm Airplug Rev 1, and the 453ohm Airplug GT Rev 2. Huge difference noted by all between chrome and Rev 1. Smaller increment but still in positive direction to GT Rev 2.

A long day, but very well worth it.

The Adam Tensor speakers have many of the positive attributes of active DBLs. And are really most excellent -- I could swap my 6-pack 135s + DBLs and not feel let down. I think, even after 14 hours or more of listening to them, I still prefer the 6-135+DBLs. But given that I am even prepared to discuss in the same paragraph should indicate how good these Adams are.

Finally, a huge thanks to UHES. Dealers should do much more of this, but it is hard work if you dont have good dem rooms, all the stock, and the knowledge and wit to take on the task. UHES has all three in spades.
Posted on: 11 October 2008 by Gary S.
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
No HDX?

Shame.

I heard a little rumour that the HDX developed a fault just before things kicked off, shame, but one of those things.

Gary
Posted on: 11 October 2008 by glevethan
John

Thanks for the well written summary of things (and glad to see you still posting).

Several questions if you would be so kind:

Airplugs Rev. 1 and Rev. 2 - since there are now multiple revisions does this imply that Naim are actively pursuing development and eventual sales of these new plugs?

Your last two comments referring to the Linn DS against the 555 and then the Linn DS with hidef music - I am assuming that both units you are referring to are the same - the Klimax DS?

Finally - I have had a suspicion in the back of my mind that the Sneaky DS might be an alternative to the MacLavry option if one wants an inexpensive intro unit to test the waters. How much better was it than the Lavry? Do you care to expand further on this? Was their a significant difference between the Sneaky DS and the intro Majik DS (as I assume when you mentioned "the middle two Linn units" you were referring to the Majik and the Akurate)?

Thanks
Gregg
Posted on: 12 October 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
How much better was it than the Lavry?

Hi Gregg

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but here's my view FWIW. Jon's write-up is excellent and it was great to meet him and the other guys.

The Linn Sneaky wasn't better than the Lavry IMHO - both are viable ways to test the waters. To me the Sneaky is like a very good mini-system for the office because of its in-built amplifiers. However for less money I could get a Rega Apollo and Brio for my office, not as versatile, but - just a thought. I didn't think the Akurate DS justified a premium over the Majik DS, but I preferred the CD5i as a source to both of these.

ATB Rotf
Posted on: 12 October 2008 by Gary S.
ROTF & Gregg

Time to stick my head above the parapet. I have bought a Linn DS Accurate and have had it now for several weeks. I am sat listening to it right now and to me it simply blows away anything upto the CDS3. I find ROTF's comments above very surprising, but this Distributed Audio is very odd thing indeed. For some strange reason it seems to create polarised opnions like nothing else. We obviously all hear different things, but I am amazed that there is so little concensus. In other circumstances I would have just assumed the dealer hadn't set it up properly, but I bought mine from UHES and know that this is not the case here and also by coincidence I was actually with Norman and Ian yesterday and heard the very set up that ROTF was listening to on Friday.

Anyway, I'm delighted with my set up and ROTF is clearly delighted with his, so I suppose that's all that matters at the end of the day, it's just so strange that we clearly hear things so differently.

Gary
Posted on: 12 October 2008 by jon h
quote:
Originally posted by glevethan:

Airplugs Rev. 1 and Rev. 2 - since there are now multiple revisions does this imply that Naim are actively pursuing development and eventual sales of these new plugs?

To be crystal clear so there is no possibility of confusion (and repeating what I have said elswhere. The airplug work for superline loading is not a factory thing at all, its the work of Dr Peter @ cymbiosis and myself. It has factory tacit, interested approval especially that of Mr Sells, chief designer, and I have played them to Gods@Naim who were interested. Hopefully they are looking at this themsevles now to assess its viability.

quote:
Your last two comments referring to the Linn DS against the 555 and then the Linn DS with hidef music - I am assuming that both units you are referring to are the same - the Klimax DS?

Yes, the top linn -- 9 grand? I wasnt struck by either of the two mid range linn items.

quote:
Finally - I have had a suspicion in the back of my mind that the Sneaky DS might be an alternative to the MacLavry option if one wants an inexpensive intro unit to test the waters. How much better was it than the Lavry? Do you care to expand further on this? Was their a significant difference between the Sneaky DS and the intro Majik DS (as I assume when you mentioned "the middle two Linn units" you were referring to the Majik and the Akurate)?

Thanks
Gregg

more a case of "different to lavry" I think it was a more "honest" and simplistic sound, but others might disagree. The lavry appeals to those who want to interact via a laptop. The Sneaky appeals to those who dont. Somewhat chalk and cheese, I'm afraid.

Yes there was difference between the sneaky and majik -- sneaky was fun, uncomplicated, very listenable to. Majik was more hifi but not really more music.

jon
Posted on: 12 October 2008 by garyi
Where the HDX clearly has an advantage is in its rip engine, i.e. you know what you are getting. Where a lavry, ds or other are concerned is in how the user got his cds onto the harddrive.

Now this would appear to involve PCStocktons 168 bullet point 'easy import' file in order to ensure the user is getting the right rip, or leave it to products that take that worry away.

Certainly I feel that linn took a risk by saying 'we are not getting involved in the source' which is what a sneaky and accurate are.
Posted on: 12 October 2008 by jon h
quote:

Certainly I feel that linn took a risk by saying 'we are not getting involved in the source' which is what a sneaky and accurate are.

whilst I understand what you mean in terms of CD ripping, claiming that linn isnt involved in the source is a bit daft when they have made lots of their record label masters available for purchase and download in straight-from-mastertape hidef formats!
Posted on: 12 October 2008 by james n
What was the Linn user interface like ? - from what i've seen so far the players are good, the interface poor. In comparison iTunes controlled via a touch/iPhone is very elegant.
Jon, I think it fair to say linn recordings like naim recordings are for a certain type of person. I am not that person.

James the interface of the linn looks a bit early 90s

Though to be fair the interfaces on phones etc seems to be a bit better
quote:
Originally posted by james n:
What was the Linn user interface like ? - from what i've seen so far the players are good, the interface poor. In comparison iTunes controlled via a touch/iPhone is very elegant.

I control my Linn using a Nokia 810 media tablet and I have turned the IR option off, otherwise the TV and Sky remotes keep turning the music on. The Linn software isn't perfect, but it's OK once you get used to it, in fact there is so much more you can do than with a CD player, such as playlists etc.

It's a completely different approach than putting a CD in the drawer and pressing play, it's just so much more flexible having your whole music collection available almost instantly.

Gary
quote:
Where the HDX clearly has an advantage is in its rip engine, i.e. you know what you are getting. Where a lavry, ds or other are concerned is in how the user got his cds onto the harddrive.

Now this would appear to involve PCStocktons 168 bullet point 'easy import' file in order to ensure the user is getting the right rip, or leave it to products that take that worry away.

Gary

Whilst I suppose technically you are right, you are making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill. Ripping is dead easy and once you have found something that suits you, the results are going to be consistent. I hate EAC, it's so awkward and cumbersome to use, but even so, PCstockton's link only needs to be done once, then you save it as a profile and of you go for the next 1000 CDs. Personally I use DBPowerAmp which is far easier to use and a doddle to get all your artwork etc.

Gary
Gary, there is no need explain to me, I am not a novice at this by any means.

However many people are novices, and the consequences are going to be variable quality. And by that I mean importing 128k mp3 not knowing any better for instance. Hopefully linn have pitched the price right to allow for the awful interface and to offset complaints from audiophiles who may not really be into the 'computer' thing.

They do still exist believe it or not.

Thats the only comparison I can draw with the HDX or NAS01/02 etc is that these devices take away that uncertainty, albeit for modest music libraries.
Gary

No offence intended, I am aware you know a thing or two about this, but until three or four weeks ago, I was by my own admission a complete novice. However my dealer took me right through the process and like everything else, once you know the basics, you can generally work out the rest.

I accept there are dangers, but a good dealer should always steer the purchaser in the right direction. It's not like you can buy one of these in Currys.

Gary
Posted on: 12 October 2008 by David Dever
quote:
claiming that linn isnt involved in the source is a bit daft when they have made lots of their record label masters available for purchase and download in straight-from-mastertape hidef formats!

That's a bit like inferring that pressing quality is not important when it comes to vinyl records, just as long as Linn offers good-quality pressings of their own. (It assumes that you could survive on a limited-genre diet of music, really.)

In the case of 88.2/24, there is likely no mastertape as such–any decision to mix or master at 176.4 or 88.2 is made with decimation to Compact Disc at 44.1/16 clearly in mind. Digitally-recorded releases have a built-in ceiling that precludes any sonic benefits above their native file resolution, i.e., there's no real value, IMHO, of 96/24 releases of sessions using 48/24 digital multitracks, for example.

Also–and I'm still amazed that people continue to do this–any equivalent digital playback systems can be comparatively judged on their merits as regards playback of baseline file formats. Put simply–any high-res capable digital playback device ought to be able to offer at least as much or more musical satisfaction at 44.1/16 as an equivalent CD player. This applies as much to hard-disk playback as it did to DVD-A and SACD over a decade ago.
Posted on: 12 October 2008 by glevethan
quote:
Originally posted by David Dever:

Also–and I'm still amazed that people continue to do this–any equivalent digital playback systems can be comparatively judged on their merits as regards playback of baseline file formats. Put simply–any high-res capable digital playback device ought to be able to offer at least as much or more musical satisfaction at 44.1/16 as an equivalent CD player. This applies as much to hard-disk playback as it did to DVD-A and SACD over a decade ago.

EXACTLY - for me this would be the ONLY reason to eventually consider moving away from a traditional CD player. If a HD or DAC based system cannot perform at least as well as my current CD player using 44.1/16 (in my case CDS3/555PS) then I will remain with silver discs. The only impetus for me to consider these alternative systems would be to take advantage of their ease of playback - realizing there will be a compromise made in terms of absolute performance.

Furthermore I still do not believe that the record labels will be releasing hires files of "current commercially viable" music any time soon. It has taken them this long to embrace downloadable MP3's and they are finally just starting to remove DRM. I just don't see them releasing hires masters any time soon - if ever.

And - who would these hires downloads appeal to other than audiophiles. Current sales trends seem to indicate that Joe Q Public is perfectly content with compressed 128/192 MP3's. If you told them that their 8gig iPod could now hold only 120 hires tracks instead of the current 1600 MP3's I do not think that they would make the tradeoff.

Gregg
Posted on: 12 October 2008 by neil w
gary / garyi could you point me to pcstocktons link pleas
quote:
Originally posted by neil w:
gary / garyi could you point me to pcstocktons link pleas

Neil

http://forums.naim-audio.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8772903...682923617#2682923617

This is a bit ball-aching, but stick with it, it does produce a very high quality rip.

There are easier and quicker ripping programmes than EAC, but as I say it does the job well.

Regards

Gary
Posted on: 12 October 2008 by neil w
ta
Posted on: 13 October 2008 by Graham Russell
Gary,

Thanks for posting the link to the EAC set up info.

It does make a difference over the default settingsSmile I've re-ripped a few CDs and they sound a lot closer to my CD555!!!

Cheers
Graham
Posted on: 13 October 2008 by paremus
Graham

What is your set-up on the streaming side? Apologies if you mentioned this before, but couldn't find it & not in your profile.

Guessing you are using a PC given the use of EAC?

Regards

Richard