squeezebox help needed

Posted by: Seanbeer on 07 August 2008

guys,

i bought a 2nd hand 'squeezbox', its the oldest version of hte SB, not the SB2 , i manage to get it playing msuic from my comptuer and tune in radio stations but not when i turned my computer off.

is it possible ? to play radio station without my comptuer turned on?

again, its a 'SB' not the 'SB2' or 3, it a wireless version tho.
Posted on: 07 August 2008 by av in bc
i think the box only steams program from your computer.

unless squeezebox is itself connected to the internet (if that's possible, i don't know)

or a server then it will not work without a source.
Posted on: 07 August 2008 by Seanbeer
quote:
Originally posted by av in bc:
i think the box only steams program from your computer.

unless squeezebox is itself connected to the internet (if that's possible, i don't know)

or a server then it will not work without a source.

seems like i need to have a PIN and add it to the 'squeezenetwork' , jsut hope it work for my SB or money wasted, coz i want ti to stand alone.
guys,

thanks, i think i have the answer already.

its a SB1 and therefore can not be connected to the squeezenetwork directly, which, if connected will allow direct internet radio station broadcasting without squeezecentre which required the comptuer to be kept 'ON'.

in another words, NO won't work and dman it , i need to buy a newer SB.

seems like this SB1 is a collector item nowaday.

any collectors around?
Posted on: 07 August 2008 by Exiled Highlander
A classic case of caveat emptor it seems. Being an old SB I'm sure you wouldn't have paid very much for it anyway.

Cheers

Jim
quote:
caveat emptor

paid 70 quid for it. the seller said its a SB2 then i just toook it home and realies its a SB. Contacted the seller he still say he gave me a SB2, well my mistake of no doing enough research before buying.
Posted on: 08 August 2008 by JY
Sorry to hear that bro. I feel sorry I may have misled you in my PM to you previously.

I didnt know SB1 cannot connect to Squeeze Network directly.
Posted on: 08 August 2008 by bluesman
Hi, You need PC to be running to operate even SB2 or SB3
Posted on: 08 August 2008 by Mr Perceptive
Not true, you can connect to SqueezeNetwork without SlimServer or SqueezeCenter rnning on a local PC. You will only be able to access items within SqueezeNetwork which is quite limited.

Mr Perceptive
Posted on: 08 August 2008 by Alco
Mr Perceptive is right.

I have a SB3 and can listen to my favorite radiostaions, without the need of my PC being powered on.

Alco
Posted on: 08 August 2008 by Seanbeer
JY,

don't worry about it, its not your fault at all, i would have bought it anyway.

I am eyeing on a SB3 or the duet now becuase the unlimited choice of music is just too tempting. could live without the NAT03 which could pick up the only one listen worthy channel in Hong Kong, whereas this gadet vitual have at least a 100 that i liked.

Thanks Alco, i have done my reserach and now understand that you need the squeezenetwork to listen with computers off, which the SB is unable to do.
Posted on: 08 August 2008 by HuwJ
You can only listen to radio stations with the PC off if you have a modem router - not just a modem.
Posted on: 11 August 2008 by Seanbeer
I can happying go to sleep and wake up now. since I bought a SB v3 this weekend.

and have been listening to it for 2 days without playing and CD or LP. lots of music !
Posted on: 12 August 2008 by DaveBk
I considered a SB3 but the temptation of a Transporter was too much... over 400 CDs at the touch of a finger. Am sitting listening to it right now.
Posted on: 12 August 2008 by Dr. Exotica
quote:
Originally posted by DaveBk:
I considered a SB3 but the temptation of a Transporter was too much... over 400 CDs at the touch of a finger. Am sitting listening to it right now.

Dave - how do you like the Transporter? Any thoughts relative to other Naim gear you've owned?
Posted on: 12 August 2008 by JY
Speaking of which, as of last week the HDX is still MIA here in Hong Kong. The distributor has been looking forward to showing it in the annual AV show but it never showed up.

The Naim guy mentioned that they do not even have a expeted date from Naim.

Is the HDX supposed to be widely available? I see the Linn DS series looming in my rear view mirror with high beam on.
Posted on: 12 August 2008 by Seanbeer
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Exotica:
quote:

Dave - how do you like the Transporter? Any thoughts relative to other Naim gear you've owned?

Have u considered a SB3 plus a Good DAC as an option ? or one box is important to you?
Posted on: 12 August 2008 by Seanbeer
JY,

are you seriously considering hte HDX? it will cost a forturne i am pretty sure.
Posted on: 12 August 2008 by JY
quote:
Originally posted by Seanbeer:
JY,

are you seriously considering hte HDX? it will cost a forturne i am pretty sure.

Yes it will cost about 60K HKD. I will be considering it to replace all DAC/CD and network player. Whether I can pass my wife's approval is another matter.

But I can dream....
Posted on: 13 August 2008 by DaveBk
Seanbeer - I think the Transporter's great. It operates at a different level to the SB3, but then in the UK it retails for about 7 times as much money so not surprising really.
Posted on: 13 August 2008 by JY
quote:
Seanbeer - I think the Transporter's great. It operates at a different level to the SB3, but then in the UK it retails for about 7 times as much money so not surprising really.

I speculate what Seanbeer asked is similar to my $1,999 question.

i.e.

1. Would a SB3 and a good DAC like the DAC1 or the DAC64 perform as well as a Transporter or worse?

2. Or do we need a SB3 with a Naim like meaty power supply + a DAC?

Although given the Transporter also acts as a DAC the price is actually quite reasonable. My other question is how good the Transporter DAC is compared to a DAC1?
Posted on: 13 August 2008 by Seanbeer
quote:
Originally posted by JY:
quote:

i.e.

1. Would a SB3 and a good DAC like the DAC1 or the DAC64 perform as well as a Transporter or worse?

Although given the Transporter also acts as a DAC the price is actually quite reasonable. My other question is how good the Transporter DAC is compared to a DAC1?

JY,

since i liked the SB3 so much, i have a feeling that i might consider sellig my CD5i and Nait5i and add whatever money required for a supernait and a PC with huge harddisk as a possible upgrade.

then it will take me hours ripping all Cd and then what do i do with them? sell them or keep them? i don't have too many CDs about 2-300 , but i have not counted.

after the supernait , i can add a flatcap2x which can also power a stageline as replacment for my rega fono, oh yeah !

just dreaming.
Posted on: 13 August 2008 by ryan_d
Just finished ripping all my cd's. Doing it around everything else in life has only taken me 3 weeks Eek but that is close to 800cd's though.

It's great once its done though.

Ryan
Posted on: 13 August 2008 by DaveBk
strangely, I find ripping CDs quite thereputic...
Posted on: 13 August 2008 by JY
quote:
Originally posted by Seanbeer:
quote:
Originally posted by JY:
quote:

i.e.

JY,

since i liked the SB3 so much, i have a feeling that i might consider sellig my CD5i and Nait5i and add whatever money required for a supernait and a PC with huge harddisk as a possible upgrade.

then it will take me hours ripping all Cd and then what do i do with them? sell them or keep them? i don't have too many CDs about 2-300 , but i have not counted.

after the supernait , i can add a flatcap2x which can also power a stageline as replacment for my rega fono, oh yeah !

just dreaming.

Yes, I will cheer you on!

That was exactly what my thought before walking into Radar. I sold my Benchmark DAC1 and Nait5i to be replaced with the SuperNait. This would have been a perfect solution since I already had the Squeezebox and 3000 CDs ripped into my NAS storage losslessly. By the way, that took years , not hours. And it is still ongoing.

However, the sales guy from Radar convinced me that the 202/200 combo was on a different class than the SuperNait. As you know my subsequent experience with the 202/200 combo was not good and I ended up having to buy a Hicap.

I heard the HiCap is much better than the FlatCap2X. I think the Cap will be used to power both the pre-amp and the DAC section, if that is the case, the NAPSC and the HiCap may be a worthwhile option?
Posted on: 14 August 2008 by Seanbeer
JY,

the guy at Radar was telling the truth, in pure sound quality terms, what you've got , even without any cap , according to my ears, are better than the supernait. with same source and speakers. The supernait is very good but its more like a grown up NAIT to my ears, the 202/200 is like a grown up 122x / 150x.

but then, but when we are talking about digital server music............its ....another story.

btw, where u keep your CDs after rippings are done?