hdx online

Posted by: michael1702 on 30 April 2008

HDX Hard Disk player

give me a mac client software and i'll order it right now.
Posted on: 30 April 2008 by Robert Woj
And remote with apples nano look, size and facilities - i think it's a must in future. I don't know why nobody did it yet. Klimax has it but in king size realy.
Posted on: 30 April 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
The HDX’s ease of use defines elegant simplicity and it even offers the option of operating as a high-end CD player by directly playing a disc loaded in its drawer.

That's good - just like my olde worlde CDX2 then.

Of course, I'd love to hear one and I'm sure if it's Naim it'll be very good.
Posted on: 30 April 2008 by -goat-
I'm a little confused about the new products... Why would you want an NS01 when you can have an HDX? Doesn't this do all the same things and sound better (potentially... certainly with XPS2 etc.) Is this not part of the NaimNet family of products?
Posted on: 30 April 2008 by james n
How much is it ?

A lot of competition from Linn on this one...

James
Posted on: 30 April 2008 by pylod
hey guys...

go to the naim site and find the hdx link. than download the 4 PDFs, listed bellow and read...

a lot of questons will be answered. the PDFs show a deeper look inside the whole development and make you understand, where the problems and solutions lay.

it looks that way, that naim has done a brilliant work. now it is just to wait to the final version of the hdx and listen. as i understood the unit will gain in sound quality until the final version...

goat: from now on all NS servers will take place in a network...and just there it will make a real sense...

james n...if you search on the forum you get the answer 100 times already...about 4500 GBP

i think this unit will be so easy to use...no computer knowledge necessary...and it was made because of that reason...nice and neat in a cool looking black box...of course there will always be people around ,wich knows better and seem to archive the same or even better results with computers and software for less money...but how does the result look like and how many ugly looking boxes will be necessary to archive that ? to be really honest i trust the ears of the naim technicians more...Smile

regards p
Posted on: 30 April 2008 by pcstockton
quote:
Originally posted by pylod:

but how does the result look like and how many ugly looking boxes will be necessary to archive that ? to be really honest i trust the ears of the naim technicians more...Smile

regards p

Answer, 2 boxes.
The result with a laptop, and an external DAC looks fabulous. Of course a $9000 media player would be nice, but unrealistic for most.

The one true advantage, save price, that a computer/DAC transport is more advantageous is the following:
-Infinite upgrades
-Infinite storage space (RAID/backup options)
-Infinite customizing
-Can browse the web for anything desired
-Portable... bring your music with you

While I would LOVE a box like this, I think computer audio is best left in the computer,

Stick the guts of a PC or Mac Mini, in a Naim box and throw it on the shelves, and i'm in. They can even triple the price of said computer to do so.

But for $9000, one can buy a Supernait, a pair of $3000 speakers, a nice DAC and a quiet laptop.

What would you rather do with your money??

Just my opinion, which i know probably goes against the grain.

As for "no computer knowledge necessary", i think that feature usually endears itself to the AOL/Ipod/Bose Lifestyle/LoFi community.

Just as in the case of vinyl, I think the Naim-er should do a bit of research and consult experts and learn a little about the subject before dropping 9 BIG ones.

But hey, if you have an extra $9000 burning holes in pockets, go for it.... 500 series people salivate....

I know I want one... but I just think it would be wiser to spend that $9000 in other areas like a very nice USB DAC perhaps from Wavelength or a modded Empirical Audio unit, a Hicap, a Fraim, or a turntable.

I want one though.... did I say that enough?
Posted on: 30 April 2008 by glevethan
quote:
Originally posted by pcstockton:

I know I want one... but I just think it would be wiser to spend that $9000 in other areas like a very nice USB DAC perhaps from Wavelength or a modded Empirical Audio unit

PC

You mentioned the Empirical Audio in a previous thread and I had a look at the web site - pricey units. At that price I think that one needs to also consider the Akurate DS. For a cheaper alternative the Sneaky DS looks interesting.

The problem with both though - no iTunes !!! Still, in my book, the best, most simple, and most elegant interface. It JUST WORKS - like Apple computers.

Gregg
glevethan,

His own DACs (Spolier DAC) are certainly pricey. Especially when you start throwing in not one but two Superclocks.

His other options are much more reasonable. He does a basic Benchmark DAC Mod that includes adding a 12S input, and adding an "Off-ramp". I think you can get into that for a $3000 less the DAC.

The offramp/freeway are basically a USB-to_SPDIF converter of the highest order.

The Freeway has no superclock and is under $700.

it does the following:
* USB to S/PDIF Coaxial converters
* Custom circuit-board designs - not a mod
* All have lower jitter than any stock or even modded Transport
* AES/EBU versions also available
* Standard with a short S/PDIF coaxial cable permanently attached with strain-relief
* Each comes with licensed copy of SRC, the best 24/96 upsampler on the market
* Each comes with an 8 foot USB cable
* All will pass 16/44.1kHz, 24/96kHz, MP3 and iTunes unmodified files
* AC3 support is available using the M-Audio driver
* Works wonderfully with both PC and MAC

The off ramp is under a grand and adds a superclock to the mix.

This guy is so dialed with computer audio it is sick. Yes spendy too.

But basically, you want to do at least this option:

Off-Ramp I2S driving Benchmark DAC-1 with I2S, minimum mods and upgrade

Under $3000 and INCLUDES a new Benchmark DAC.
PC

HOWEVER - I have a big question with the fundamental starting block - The Benchmark. I have not had the opportunity to listen to one however everything I have read about it has said clinical and boring - when compared to the Naim/LP12 virtues of PRAT. So is not the problem that the starting point (the Benchmark) is wrong? The guy may be dialed in however maybe in this case he is starting at the wrong beginning.

Gregg
Posted on: 30 April 2008 by kuma
Gregg,

You gotta start somewhere, indeed.

I've demoed about 4-5 DACs before I settled on one.

If I were in need of a serious DAC, I would have just keep looking but I needed one just to supplement my CD players so I stopped. ( plus, I was hoping Naim would come up with one eventually )

Re: Benchmark.
Finally got to listen to one. Not for me.
quote:
Originally posted by glevethan:
PC

HOWEVER - I have a big question with the fundamental starting block - The Benchmark. I have not had the opportunity to listen to one however everything I have read about it has said clinical and boring - when compared to the Naim/LP12 virtues of PRAT. So is not the problem that the starting point (the Benchmark) is wrong? The guy may be dialed in however maybe in this case he is starting at the wrong beginning.

Gregg

Not at all. He would totally agree with you on the Benchmark's out-of-the-box performance and doesn't really recommend it. He does think it provides a great starting point, and that certain aspects of it as among the best DACs. For example, Benchmark's tireless research on using a "driverless" approach to USB DACs.

Read a little on his site. Alot of good information can be gleaned there. Whether you buy his DAC or not, his principles are sound.

I would apply his reasoning to any DAC i would consider.

He does however recommend it if you cant go for all the mods right out of the gate.
Addendum...

He also offers demos of a stock Benchmark against his modded versions.

Keep in mind that "his" products, which are basically true audiophile USB-to-SPDIF converters with the ultimate in reclocking, can compliment any DAC.

His I2S mods are for DACs without existing I2S inputs. There is a NOrthstar DAC for example that does.

His basic Benchmark DAC Mod includes the following:
1. Two bridge rectifiers replaced with HEXFRED's
2. Replace regulated voltage filter caps
3. Improve power delivery to DAC and upsampler chips
4. Improve power delivery to 9 op-amps - Black Gates and HF caps
5. Upgrade DAC filtering
6. Replace all voltage regulators.
7. Eliminate AC-coupling and tune-out DC offset
8. Improve digital input coupling
9. Eliminate one Op-amp
10. Rewire externally some signal paths
11. Replace fuses with 3 amp

Perhaps this addresses the things people dont like about the Benchmark.

Also see 6 moons Audio review.

I just found out that this guy actually lives and works within a 1/2 hour. I am going to take him up on a demo this weekend hopefully.

I will bring my Beresford DAC and get a good comparison of all three.
quote:
Originally posted by kuma:

That is what I have gathered from my reading (don't want to waste my time buying and sending back)

PC:
Report back on your demo

I am still keeping the Sneaky DS in the back of my mind as a way to dip my toes in the water. I don't think Naim will be coming out with one any time soon - too much at stake considering all of the Naim Net products.

Anyone heard the Apogee Mini DAC?

Gregg
quote:
Anyone heard the Apogee Mini DAC?

I didn't but my friend did against the Shigaraki DAC and he picked the latter.

That was good enough reason not to waste my time any more since I was pretty much fed up with DAC/SB/ thing.

I couldn't wait for the SuperLine intro, but at this point, I'm going to wait out what Naim has up for their sleeves if I ever got back into the HD music server thing again.
quote:
Originally posted by kuma:

I couldn't wait for the SuperLine intro,

You should at least do the demo when they arrive at the dealers - it is rather impressive (and you already have a SuperCap Winker)
Gregg,

In due course.

The SuperCap is used for the 52 now.
Posted on: 30 April 2008 by garyi
Not that I could ever afford one, my house is PC free. The computer software to control an HDX says PC software.

Unbelievable.

You would have thought it a simple task of a browser software compatible with all systems, or at the least a simple flash based software.

Looks nice though.
quote:

That is what I have gathered from my reading (don't want to waste my time buying and sending back)

[/QUOTE]

Come on Gregg. In your next post you tell someone else to give it a listen before they pas judgement. Maybe time to take some of your own medicine?

I already stated that MANY seem to agree about the Benchmark DAC, including said modder.

I think you deserve at least a personal listen to the "stock" Benchmark as well.

If I listened to "what people think" I would have NEVER bought a Naim kit.

Fortunately, I did.... and loved it.
Posted on: 01 May 2008 by jcs_smith
The HDX looks very much like a product Cambridge have been selling for a couple of years. They've had endless problems with it. Also in view of the numerous problems with the nVI I'm not confident about the HDX being problem free for a considerable time. Probably best to wait for the product to mature before considering - it's never good to be an early adopter of technology
Posted on: 01 May 2008 by michael1702
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
Not that I could ever afford one, my house is PC free. The computer software to control an HDX says PC software.

Unbelievable.

You would have thought it a simple task of a browser software compatible with all systems, or at the least a simple flash based software.

Looks nice though.

the windows client software allows you to tag, rename,... your music.

with any (flash capable) browser you can access the hdx and get the interface of the touch screen for searching/playing music. [i've been told by naim yesterday.]
Posted on: 01 May 2008 by Richard Dane
quote:
Originally posted by jcs_smith:
The HDX looks very much like a product Cambridge have been selling for a couple of years. They've had endless problems with it. Also in view of the numerous problems with the nVI I'm not confident about the HDX being problem free for a considerable time. Probably best to wait for the product to mature before considering - it's never good to be an early adopter of technology

I cannot speak for Cambridge but I think the only similarity between the HDX and the Cambridge is that they are both "Hard Disc players". Apart from that they are completely different.

It's important to consider that unlike some others, the HDX is not some other server/hard disc player dressed up in Naim clothes, it is a completely Naim designed solution, right down to our own PCI board. Only this way could we achieve the performance and reliability we required.

Without wishing to go into too much detail, the early n-Vi issues stemmed from problems mostly outside of our control, which only re-confirmed our belief that total control of a project in-house is the best course for us. Lessons learned from that project have guided us on the NS servers and the HDX. The HDX is based upon the bones of the NS servers which are proving themselves very stable and reliable in service. So in this sense, the technology inside the HDX is already quite well proven. For all that, until the HDX comes to market we will be testing, tweaking, testing, tweaking, testing...
Posted on: 01 May 2008 by pylod
gregg...

i know about all the knowledge...but non of your solutions even reached the quality of a cdx2..we have enough threads on that theme here. the hdx will be clearly above...and as wee all know small steps can cost a fortune...are you willed to pay for that ?...you need to answer for yourself.

so with a laptop it is actually 3 boxes...a good dac like the big 47 labs with a dumpty cost already almost half of a hdx...or even more

come on, naim ears are snobby ...totally spoiled Winker

i perfectly understand that 4500 GBP ( 9000 USD ) is quite a lot of money and how much will it be with a xps 2 or even a 555 ps ? ( for me a necessary part of a cdx2 combo )...where will the price tag of the hds ( once avalaible ) end ?...

it will be intersting how the final version of the hdx will compare to the akurate ds..is till don´t understand linn step to launch the akurate ds 3 months after the akurate cd player. less money better performance. not fair for teh customer somehow...

p
Posted on: 01 May 2008 by Ears
Richard,

Apologies to you and other forum members if this has already been covered, but when a CD is played "directly" in the HDX, does it still pass through the hard-disk stage? ... making the machine a true hard-disk player at all times.

Regards, Ears
Posted on: 01 May 2008 by pylod
jcs_smith...

i indeed hope , that the problems with the Nvi or some of the other av boxes , will be solved before launching the HDX...

i think naim delayed the supernaits delivery because of that reasons ? it was much more stabile , than the Nvi...

p