Decent DVD/Blueray player?

Posted by: Sneaky SNAIC on 30 June 2015

Total noob in AV, not really into it, but want to have a good experience...my son wants to watch some DVDs, which is something we do *very* rarely since they are in college.  However, we do have some good old DVD of concerts, etc.  Seems like I should go with a blue ray player, but my question is which one and how would I pipe the sound into my DAC as easily as  possible? 

The newer ones seem to have a Network cable though, I didn't see optical out on most of them. Most of course have an HDMI out...my TV has an optical out which I use now, but it seems smarter to go from the player directly?

Again its a rare occurrence and I want to stay around $100ish

Posted on: 30 June 2015 by Erich

Sneaky,  I also have some good concertos in DVD, Blu-ray and didn't want to spend a lot to enjoy them.

I bought a sony blu-ray player and connected it to the TV using HDMI and then the TV to the UQ2  via toslink.

(My second rig is just UQ2, PMC21's, USB devices, TV and B-R player)

Regards.

Erich

Sneaky, is no big thing but my wife and I enjoy not only the DVD's and BR's but also TV with better SQ.

Regards.

Erich

Posted on: 30 June 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC
Originally Posted by Erich:

Sneaky,  I also have some good concertos in DVD, Blu-ray and didn't want to spend a lot to enjoy them.

I bought a sony blu-ray player and connected it to the TV using HDMI and then the TV to the UQ2  via toslink.

Yes I can do that as well...but is there a way to take the audio from the player, what happens to the audio when it goes into the TV and out of the optical?

Sneaky, Of course the signal is processed by the TV. I will check if the B-R player has a digital out.

Regards.

Erich

Sneaky, My son has a Play Station doing this. Do you?

Regards.

Erich

Sorry, I can't check the B-R player until tomorrow (may be it also has a digital out). Great son sleeping in that room now.

Regards.

Erich

Posted on: 30 June 2015 by Audioneophyte

You budget will not deliver hifi out of cancert blue rays into your Naim system...

Higher end players over outs compatible with component hifi audio… for me currently…  I just use XBOX to play blue rays on as needed, and if I wanted to rock a concert on the system  it would be an oppo…  this however is a decimal place further down your budget but given some of your components perhaps something to consider…  BTW I am not an expert and have taken only a hi level look at this issue.

Posted on: 30 June 2015 by feeling_zen
Originally Posted by Audioneophyte:

You budget will not deliver hifi out of cancert blue rays into your Naim system...

+1

If you want an BD player to do justice to your Naim setup, then you probably need to start looking at a very different end of the spectrum. A Denon DBT-3313UD is more likely to do it justice and can be picked up second hand for about $600. I've compared this to the quality output on a PS4 and it affirmed itself as a true piece of hifi. What was more surprising was that the picture quality was on a different level entirely - totally unexpected. Only drawback is that the digital output is HDMI only, but the analogue output is first rate. If you don't have a Naim streamer yet, the Denon also has excellent UPnP support.

Posted on: 30 June 2015 by Musicraft (Derby)

Hi Sneaky SNAIC

Get a player with an optical or coaxial digital out. Connect to your DAC. Blu Ray player set up menu - basically select digital audio out via optical/coaxial and then select PCM 2ch (not 5.1 or bitstream). This should do the trick.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Posted on: 01 July 2015 by Audioneophyte

Rick/Musicraft...

Doesn't using your recommended method typically downsample the music?

This is my understanding…  hi quality 2 channel audio is available on concert blue rays etc but using the coax/optical out or even HDMI out… typically down samples the music BEFORE the music signal leaves the blue ray player.

Correct? or am I misinformed?

Posted on: 01 July 2015 by Mr Underhill

Hi Audioneophyte,

I would say that you're partially correct.

My understanding is that generally the standards do not allow HiDef audio to be exported via analogue, i.e. Coax/Optical. This isn't always the case. A number of years ago I used to use a Meridian DVD player that DID output 9624 via Coax.

HDMI is encrypted and is specified to allow the streaming of HiDef to HDMI capable devices; although various HDMI breakout devices are available.

We then come to the interesting topic of what is defined as HiDef.

M

Posted on: 01 July 2015 by Bert Schurink

Your spending limit is on the low side with 100 dollars. So that would exclude any serious devices. But it does pay off to have a serious device with good picture and sound quality. I use and can recommend the OPPO 103 - great player very well for the job, decent pricing in the field.

Posted on: 01 July 2015 by Mr Underhill

I use the cheap Sony BR players in my 2nd system, work well. Obviously not up to Oppo standards.

The issue with the cheaper Sony players is that Sony stops supporting them. I had to buy a new one earlier this year as their iPlayer app wasn't updated to accommodate the BBC changes.

M

Posted on: 01 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC

Yeah just looking for a cheap fix here for a few DVDs we are by no means into TV that much.  Probably get something around $40 and be done with it.

Posted on: 01 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC

On second thought the Oppo 103 seems reasonable...what could make or break this is the ability for my wife to put down her laptop and stream from a device to the TV...the Oppo has fewer options to stream from than the cheap Sony's...

Also using her new iPad to drive this would be great...then I could talk her into an ND5 XS or something! ;D

Posted on: 02 July 2015 by Musicraft (Derby)

Hi Audineophyte

If connected and set up in the manner which I mentioned then the player should downmix a multichannel track.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Posted on: 03 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC
Originally Posted by Bert Schurink:

Your spending limit is on the low side with 100 dollars. So that would exclude any serious devices. But it does pay off to have a serious device with good picture and sound quality. I use and can recommend the OPPO 103 - great player very well for the job, decent pricing in the field.

If I got an Oppo, I'd set it on my hifi rack with RCA going to the Nait XS, and run longer HDMI to TV right?  The reason would be to minimize the length of the RCA instead of HDMI.

Posted on: 03 July 2015 by Mattnbarns

Time for a curve ball.  For a similar price to th Oppo 103, how about a Marantz1506 (I think that's the number). It's a slim AV receiver.  Add a cheapish blurrayplayer the same make as your TV. Connect all using HDMI, run the 2 front channels of the Marantz into your Nait using AV by pass.  

The liklihood is that by matching BluRay player with Tv you'll be able to commonise the remote. The TV will control the volume, naim and your speakers will do the rest. Oh and the Marantz is network capable so you can dip your toes into streaming and its AirPlay compatable so your can play music from your iPad. And there's an iPad control app. If you fancy going surround, just add speakers.

Posted on: 03 July 2015 by joerand
Originally Posted by Mattnbarns:

Time for a curve ball.  

@Mattnbarns,

I love baseball analogies, especially when used on this forum! 

Posted on: 04 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC
Originally Posted by joerand:
Originally Posted by Mattnbarns:

Time for a curve ball.  

@Mattnbarns,

I love baseball analogies, especially when used on this forum! 

What about getting an Oppo 105, then selling my Rega DAC?  Is the DAC in the Oppo 105 as good as the Rega DAC?  I could use the Oppo as my CD source too until I can work up to the nDAC and a Naim CD source.

This gives me a DAC, CD source, and DVD player...with streaming...hard to beat that really if the DAC is good.  I have the older Rega DAC (not the DAC-R).

Haha, I started at $100 and knew this would happen.

Posted on: 04 July 2015 by Mattnbarns

No reason that won't work. Depends if you ever want to go multi-channel.  The Marantz will give you this, the Oppo will need more amps.  i guess the Oppo is the quality option, the Marantz the convenience option. Also the Oppo limits your inputs.

Personally I find that the picture (and even more so the sound) of even a cheap Blu Ray player is a significant step up from DVD.  I do wonder about the sound / picture quality improvements when you start going up the price range.  I'm sure they are there but I think the law of diminishing returns applies in spades.

Maybe your original plan would be best after all.

Posted on: 04 July 2015 by Bert Schurink
Originally Posted by Sneaky SNAIC:

Yeah just looking for a cheap fix here for a few DVDs we are by no means into TV that much.  Probably get something around $40 and be done with it.

Just go your local discount supermarket and they will be able to offer you something at the lowest price point - it will play the stuff. Perhaps not for too long and perhaps not at a high quality, but it will be somewhat decent.

Posted on: 04 July 2015 by Bert Schurink
Originally Posted by Bert Schurink:
Originally Posted by Sneaky SNAIC:

Just go your local discount supermarket and they will be able to offer you something at the lowest price point - it will play the stuff. Perhaps not for too long and perhaps not at a high quality, but it will be somewhat decent.

..and the added benefit, you can put the saved amount in a Statement savings fund ??????

Posted on: 04 July 2015 by Mr Underhill

I think the 105 is a great machine.

I have used the 105 to stream music from my NAS into my main system amps, i.e. acting a streamer and DAC.....it is OK.

I do intend to listen to the 105 as a DAC using Coax from my NS01 and USB from my laptop. If I get the time I'll have a play this weekend and get back to you.

There is a journey here, could you borrow one for a few days? If 'yes' then I would consider this and have a listen, as only you can be the judge.

I suspect that your original suggestion is the best.

M

Posted on: 04 July 2015 by marcusman
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill:

I think the 105 is a great machine.

I have used the 105 to stream music from my NAS into my main system amps, i.e. acting a streamer and DAC.....it is OK.

I do intend to listen to the 105 as a DAC using Coax from my NS01 and USB from my laptop. If I get the time I'll have a play this weekend and get back to you.

There is a journey here, could you borrow one for a few days? If 'yes' then I would consider this and have a listen, as only you can be the judge.

I suspect that your original suggestion is the best.

M

+1 for the Oppo 105. I use it for both streaming and watching DVD's. Its more than Decent but its not cheap either. Should you sell your Rega? Great question. I don't have one but I've heard one before. My understanding is for DAC quality they are both good. It comes down to if you like Honda's better than Toyota's :-)