Just squeezed the trigger on Oppo 103

Posted by: Sneaky SNAIC on 08 July 2015

Notice I didn't say pulled the trigger...I'm from Texas originally and we know enough to squeeze the trigger.

Anyway, folks told me not to get rid of the Rega DAC in favor of even an Oppo 105, and the CD player is not as good as something by Naim.

So I went cheaper and will route the audio through the Rega DAC.  Darbee is not high on my list of priorities.  Not a single person has said a bad thing about this player, but many have expressed the cost of the 105 and also the D was a let-down.

It's not the $100 I was looking for, but I expect the VFM on the Oppo 103 should be very good indeed since I do not have: Blu-Ray, DVD or CD player right now...steaming will be a bonus too.

P.S. I also ordered my wife a pair of shoes she wanted...they'll come together. *grin*

P.S.S.  The shoes were brand Ecco...so I got Oppo and Ecco, sounds like a Finnish child's story about  a worm and a crow or something.

Posted on: 08 July 2015 by Bert Schurink

Good choice, you will not have any regrets....

Posted on: 08 July 2015 by MDS

The Oppo 103 is excellent, as are Oppos generally.  I'm sure you won't regret it.  If you haven't had one before you're also in for a nice surprise when the box turns up because Oppos are beautifully packaged.

Posted on: 08 July 2015 by tonym
Originally Posted by Sneaky SNAIC:

.  Darbee is not high on my list of priorities.  Not a single person has said a bad thing about this player, but many have expressed the cost of the 105 and also the D was a let-down.

On the contrary; the Darbee video processing in my Oppo 103D is superb. This same technology is now used in Lumagen processors, the Rolls-Royce of video processors. I route all my video sources through the Oppo to great effect.

Oppos are great players. I've still got my old Oppo DVD player tucked away - a useful backup.

Posted on: 08 July 2015 by marcusman

Agreed you won't be disappointed. If I already had a Rega DAC then I would also get the 103 and do like your doing by routing audio through it.  My situation was I didn't have anything so the 105 made sense to me.  Still waiting for Naim to integrate Internet based Lossless into their streamers then I'll jump on-board and route everything through Naim gear. Linn gear looks nice but I can hold out for Naim. 

BTW Love the "squeeze" versus "pull" :-)

Originally Posted by tonym:

.  Darbee is not high on my list of priorities.  Not a single person has said a bad thing about this player, but many have expressed the cost of the 105 and also the D was a let-down.

On the contrary; the Darbee video processing in my Oppo 103D is superb. This same technology is now used in Lumagen processors, the Rolls-Royce of video processors. I route all my video sources through the Oppo to great effect.

Oppos are great players. I've still got my old Oppo DVD player tucked away - a useful backup.

I also love the Darbee processing.  It just takes a little and the quality is better (IMHO) its subtle but I like it. I actually got it by mistake and thought I'd try it then exchange it after a day or two, but it stayed with me. Yes the packaging surprised me as well.  Reminded me of unboxing an Apple product.

Posted on: 08 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC

Fair enough, but if video quality was lower in priority than cost to begin with, then I'm still probably going to get better video quality than the $40 player I was going to get...also I have a craptastic TV.

If I ever get a nice TV I may just get a 105D or whatever is the current, I'm sure the 103 would sell just fine if its as great as everyone says it is.

Now...should I get a projector or a big screen TV?  I have $100 to spend...*chuckle*

Fair enough, but if video quality was lower in priority than cost to begin with, then I'm still probably going to get better video quality than the $40 player I was going to get...also I have a craptastic TV.

If I ever get a nice TV I may just get a 105D or whatever is the current, I'm sure the 103 would sell just fine if its as great as everyone says it is.

Now...should I get a projector or a big screen TV?  I have $100 to spend...*chuckle*

Best to apply that $100 for wife's shoes! (word from the wise)

Posted on: 08 July 2015 by Zipperheadbanjo

I have an Oppo 105... fantastic unit... you will be very happy.

I bypass the DAC though... it doesn't even come close to either my original Superuniti, or my current NDX. But the video aspect is killer, and it's also a very good CD transport. Outstanding versatile piece of gear.

Posted on: 08 July 2015 by MangoMonkey

Are blu-rays via Oppo any better than HD movies downloaded from the Apple Store played via an Apple TV - or Amazon HD streamed via a XBOX One?

On second thoughts, don't answer that question. Don't want to go there. 

Posted on: 09 July 2015 by tonym

BluRays are better both picture and soundwise than any other current source. And don't let anyone tell you different!

Posted on: 09 July 2015 by Mr Underhill

BluRays are better both picture and soundwise than any other current source. And don't let anyone tell you different!

OK Tony,

I'll be different!

I generally agree ...but:

PQ: With the Darbee processing DVDs can get surprisingly close to BluRay.

With respect to SQ: LPCM DVDs can be better than the HiDef BluRay sound tracks, all come down to the source and the mastering.

In terms of my purchases: I tend to buy BR for blockbusters. For other movies I prefer DVD as the rip to much smaller files, 4GB vs 35GB.

M

Posted on: 09 July 2015 by marcusman
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill:

OK Tony,

I'll be different!

I generally agree ...but:

PQ: With the Darbee processing DVDs can get surprisingly close to BluRay.

With respect to SQ: LPCM DVDs can be better than the HiDef BluRay sound tracks, all come down to the source and the mastering.

In terms of my purchases: I tend to buy BR for blockbusters. For other movies I prefer DVD as the rip to much smaller files, 4GB vs 35GB.

M

However BR with Darbee upscaled to 4K can't be beat until 4k BR comes out(if it comes out).  I also only buy BR for blockbusters.

@Zipperheadbanjo my long term plan is to do what you're doing with your 105. Until then I "suffer" using the DAC in the 105.

Posted on: 11 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC

103 is here, but can't get audio to come out of my stereo system...HDMI out 1 going to TV, SPDIF out going to my Rega DAC.

Audio is coming from the TV and not the stereo...there is a wild array of audio setting in the OPPO...any ideas?

Posted on: 11 July 2015 by james n

Makes sure audio out to the rega DAC is set to PCM 2.0 on the Oppo.

Posted on: 11 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC
Originally Posted by james n:

Makes sure audio out to the rega DAC is set to PCM 2.0 on the Oppo.

Ok its working!

Posted on: 12 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC

Watching movies for 11 hours straight! hahah

Posted on: 12 July 2015 by tonym

Good eh? 

Pretty good!

It's only a 55" TV, and the sound makes the TV seem like a postage stamp...much bigger sound than TV.

Watched "Imitation Game" great.

Posted on: 12 July 2015 by MDS

Good film.  Glad the Oppo has worked out for you.  

Mike

Originally Posted by MDS:

Good film.  Glad the Oppo has worked out for you.  

Mike

Yeah thanks to the forums here, I'd have never heard of it.

Anyway, the sound far outclasses my actual TV...almost strange when you hear such big sound and see such a small picture...definitely something I notice.

Posted on: 13 July 2015 by Richard S

This thread has prompted me to choose an Oppo. We had been watching films via an Xbox but post GCSEs my son reclaimed it for his room.

The advice on here was very helpful so I ordered the BDP-103 this morning. Will let you know my 'appenyworth!

Posted on: 13 July 2015 by marcusman
Congrats!
Posted on: 13 July 2015 by MDS
Originally Posted by Richard S:

This thread has prompted me to choose an Oppo. We had been watching films via an Xbox but post GCSEs my son reclaimed it for his room.

The advice on here was very helpful so I ordered the BDP-103 this morning. Will let you know my 'appenyworth!

I suspect you will think it the best value you've had from circa £500, Richard.  Do update us.

Mike

Posted on: 13 July 2015 by Sneaky SNAIC
Originally Posted by MDS:
Originally Posted by Richard S:

I suspect you will think it the best value you've had from circa £500, Richard.  Do update us.

Mike

I had not a Blu-Ray, DVD nor CD player.  I spent $499, bought a TOSLINK, HDMI, and Cat7 patch cable and have all this + Netflix etc.  There is a Netflix button ON the remote.

Set the HDMI out (going to TV) Audio to OFF.  I had to play with the menus some, the Oppo has an impressive menu set. I also went to the Speaker Configuration and did a did down-mix to two speaker.

Have the PC, Turntable and Oppo going through the XS now.

Posted on: 15 July 2015 by Mr Mole

We have an Oppo x3 (about 3-5 years old now). The Bluray picture is superb as one would expect, but what surprised us was just how good the DVD upscaled playback is. It is so good that I am as happy buying DVDs for "secondary" movies as I am buying BD for the Big Blockbusters.

And the Oppo has never had the "ahem" issues that our previous ** bluray player exhibited. It even runs faultlessly through the infamous Iron Man 2 Monaco GP section!