Minimalists on BBC4

Posted by: Salmon Dave on 03 March 2018

Charles Hazlewood met up with his (apparently) hero Terry Riley while filming in California and NYC for a two-parter about the minimalists (Riley and Lamonte Young of John Cale fame; part two = Steve Reich and Philip Glass).

Terry felt that the term minimalist was too - reductivist, leaving out too much of what makes some of their music so powerful to the right ears. One YouTube poster summed it up for me - 'Terry Riley has a happier muse than the other minimalists'...

Nice documentary anyway. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/...bfp6?suggid=b09tbfp6

Posted on: 03 March 2018 by Richard Morris

Thanks for the tip. Terry Riley's In C is a desert island disc for me so I'll be watching tonight.

Posted on: 03 March 2018 by Kev G

Really enjoyed the programme. I've quite a few CD recordings of Steve Reich & Philip Glass but no recording of In C which I enjoyed immensely in the documentary. Is there a favoured recording on CD? 

Posted on: 03 March 2018 by AndyP19

Wonderful programme.

Pity no interview with John Cale who studied with La Monte Young and released an album in 1971 with Terry Riley called Church of Anthrax - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Anthrax   -   must dig it out and give it a spin.

Note Kev G -' In C' is on special offer on Qobuz -  https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/al...-riley/0884977039719

Posted on: 04 March 2018 by Richard Morris

Very good programme. I used to have Church of Anthrax on LP - long gone - but must try and hear it again.

Kev G posted:

Really enjoyed the programme. I've quite a few CD recordings of Steve Reich & Philip Glass but no recording of In C which I enjoyed immensely in the documentary. Is there a favoured recording on CD? 

Kev, I don't think you can beat the original version, especially as it has been remastered (Sony 2009). Of the others - and there are many - I like the version by the Salt Lake Electric Ensemble.

If you want to dip your toe in the water there are several low price/free versions on Bandcamp.

Posted on: 04 March 2018 by Salmon Dave

My favourite of Terry's slightly later works is Shri Camel (1980). Don't be put off by the Indian-themed cover and the use of eastern tunings (just intonation).. it's a beautiful record.

Posted on: 04 March 2018 by Kev G

Richard, Andy - thanks for the recommendations. I see some enjoyable days ahead exploring different versions. Much appreciated. 

Posted on: 04 March 2018 by Nick Lees

Um. I'm something of a Terry Riley nut...and he composed in phases

"Minimalist"

In C: The best is the original, though the 25th Anniversary version adds a lot of colour. For a change, check out In C remixed - radical, but the roots clearly show

A Rainbow In Curved Air: Probably the best Riley album and a Desert Island disc. Mesmerising loops and trill. A true trip

Shri Camel: Simpler than Rainbow, it's well into his loop phase, where he do live improv with an organ, a tape deck set up to capture samples and loop them, and a primitive digital sampler to add to the loop possibilities. It's great, and sits just below Rainbow in the pantheon.

Then there are a selection of albums released later captured from the 70s live epics. Mostly to be added after the studio stuff but...

Persian Surgery Dervishes: see above style

Descending Moonshine Dervishes (usually paired as a double with Songs For The Ten Voices Of The Ten Prophets, which features Terry singing. Um...

Poppy Nogood And The Phantom Band "All Night Flight": sax loops added to the mix (as per side two of Rainbow).

Last Camel In Paris: from the last series of concerts before he abandoned this style and based loosely on material on Shri Camel. This is utterly wonderful and music to get lost in.

Rainbow In  Cologne: double CD with a very long organ loop version of Rainbow on disc one, and likewise Dervishes on disc two.

...He then developed a "jazz(ish)" style based on a piano tuned weirdly. Very different but oddly addictive. I won't go into details unless there's interest, but as a starter:

The Harp Of New Albion: based on the legend of a harp left on the shores of San Francisco by Sir Francis Drake which weathered and warped out of tune and allegedly played tunes as the wind blew through the strings.

Her then moved into modern classical (for want of a better description) and composed stuff for the Kronos Quartet. Again, very different from either of the above styles but nevertheless excellent e.g. Salome Dances For Peace, Cadenza On The Night Plain.

Posted on: 04 March 2018 by simon, but not simple

A very enjoyable programme. I am partial to a bit of Philip Glass so looking forward to the second part.

Posted on: 04 March 2018 by Salmon Dave
Nick Lees posted:

Persian Surgery Dervishes: see above style

...and this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?...vQ-QeJUs&t=1987s

Posted on: 04 March 2018 by nickpeacock

Thanks for this recommendation. A Rainbow In Curved Air is a longstanding favourite.

Posted on: 04 March 2018 by Nick Lees

I've just watched the programme. A tricky subject, outside of the already converted, excellently tackled - I especially liked the description of the music as  an ocean to get lost in. Perfect.

A special, if brief,  thrill was the clip of Morton Subotnick and his Buchla 100. Buchlas are being increasingly used in electronic music today - they sound like no other synth and seem to lead directly to idiosyncratic music (even if that music isn't immediately connective).

Posted on: 04 March 2018 by DenisA

I've loved the Buchla Synth series sounds after discovering Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith & Sarah Davachi. Seeing both artists play 'live' is the icing on the cake  Sarah is more of a minimalist performer, sending you into trance like states. Both can be found on Bandcamp & are appearing at the Barbican Sounds and Visions festival in May (curated by Max Richter).

Somewhat in Terry Riley’s ‘A Rainbow In Curved Air’ vein, I’d also give a shout out to Harold Budd’s ‘The Oak of the Golden Dreams’. (Available on the ‘Wind in Lonely Fences’ retrospective.)

Posted on: 04 March 2018 by AndyP19
nickpeacock posted:

Somewhat in Terry Riley’s ‘A Rainbow In Curved Air’ vein, I’d also give a shout out to Harold Budd’s ‘The Oak of the Golden Dreams’. (Available on the ‘Wind in Lonely Fences’ retrospective.)

'Wind in Lonely Fences' is a great compilation of Budd's work which includes the incredibly beautiful Bismillahi 'Rrahman 'Rrahim. 

At £7.99 on Qobuz it has to be an essential purchase for anyone who hasn't got Budd's catalogue - But I guess most people have already.

AndyP19 posted:
nickpeacock posted:

'Wind in Lonely Fences' is a great compilation of Budd's work which includes the incredibly beautiful Bismillahi 'Rrahman 'Rrahim. 

The very track I am listening to now!

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by mudwolf

I have numerous minimalists and enjoy them for a meditative experience.  I explore other groups that are way out of the usual.  I used to go to the Ojai Festival and last 5 years theCD seller had changed and very interesting choices, wish I had been more generous with 20s.  Then a year later I was eating an Organic Burrito and worker sat next to me on break, got to talking, long pause OH YOU! Ojai!  Paul  really knew great stuff and many from Europe. He had a band in the area but never heard them.

I was at Disney Hall in LA for Minimalist Jukebox years back with a week of numerous performers.  Sold out, but two seats empty next to me.  Then an old man with colored beanie and assistant moved in.  The performances of In C was great, my first time, then he stood up to be acknowledged after and was mobbed by people around wanting to talk to him.  That whole Northern California scene with Lou Harrison and Harbison is greatly overlooked,  they looked toward Asian influence.  What a time that must have been up there with Ferlingetti,  the beats and Alan Watts.  Dharma for sure as John Adams noted.  It is a beautiful area I've had many trips and a winter renting up there back when I was 30.

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by Bluebeard

I'm a bit of an In C nut and have some interesting variants. I'd recommend In C 'Mali' by African Express for a real change in instrumentation - ditto the Shanghai Film Orchestra version. Adrian Utley's Guitar Orchestra on the other hand focuses more on the texture of the piece -having a limited instrumental palette. The piano versions area mixed bag -the van Veen works well, the Piano Circus less so. The Bang on a Can version is one of the more exuberant, almost on a par with Riley's own version. 

regards,

Giles

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Arvo Part: Alina would be my contribution. Not all his work fits the minimalist description but this is fabulous. I have some Philip Glass and also an ECM Steve Reich retrospective that I must admit does not always grab me. For more modern (and maybe 'less minimal' if that is grammatically acceptable) then a Winged Victory for the Sullen (especially the eponymous first album) and Bing and Ruth.

I must look out a good recording of 'In C' and thanks for the various others offered here.

Bruce

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by Richard Morris
Bluebeard posted:

I'm a bit of an In C nut and have some interesting variants. I'd recommend In C 'Mali' by African Express for a real change in instrumentation - ditto the Shanghai Film Orchestra version. Adrian Utley's Guitar Orchestra on the other hand focuses more on the texture of the piece -having a limited instrumental palette. The piano versions area mixed bag -the van Veen works well, the Piano Circus less so. The Bang on a Can version is one of the more exuberant, almost on a par with Riley's own version. 

regards,

Giles

I've heard that the version by the Brooklyn Raga Massive is good but haven't listened to it yet.

https://bkragamassive.bandcamp...m/terry-riley-in-c-2

Posted on: 12 March 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

One other that is a real oddity. Pauline Oliveros: Deep Listening. Recorded in a vast underground oil tank this glows and reverberates like nothing else I have ever heard. There is a description of this and also multiple other ambient/minimalist albums at the link below

https://pitchfork.com/features...-of-all-time/?page=5

Bruce

Posted on: 12 March 2018 by nickpeacock

A good friend of mine can’t get through a discussion about minimalism without mentioning Julius Eastman. His recorded works are few, but interesting.

Posted on: 12 March 2018 by Nick Lees

Another recommendation a bit off the beaten track - Simeon Ten Holt, a Dutch composer who also uses elements of composition that can be played and combined in many ways. For example, Canto Ostinato can be played on one, two or four pianos (or a harp for that matter) using those elements in combination for as long as they fancy.

e.g.

or

And this box set is just brilliant. And a bargain!

Posted on: 12 March 2018 by Bluebeard

Thanks for the suggestion of Brooklyn Raga Massive - acquired and listened to. Interesting how solo instruments are given space (the flute and violin solos being particularly brilliant) I also like how vocals are woven into the piece. The tabla really drives the ensemble along. Well worth the purchase price.

On the Oliveros - I'd forgotten about that piece - I first heard it in the 90's and tried in vain to acquire it. It really is something else and falls into that handful of albums I'd call 'perfect'. The transfer on prestoclassical is quite good and captures the ambience of the surroundings as well as the ambient nature of the music. I've probably listened to 'Lear' three times in the past day!

Good topic.

regards,

Giles

Posted on: 13 March 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse
Bluebeard posted:

Thanks for the suggestion of Brooklyn Raga Massive - acquired and listened to. Interesting how solo instruments are given space (the flute and violin solos being particularly brilliant) I also like how vocals are woven into the piece. The tabla really drives the ensemble along. Well worth the purchase price.

On the Oliveros - I'd forgotten about that piece - I first heard it in the 90's and tried in vain to acquire it. It really is something else and falls into that handful of albums I'd call 'perfect'. The transfer on prestoclassical is quite good and captures the ambience of the surroundings as well as the ambient nature of the music. I've probably listened to 'Lear' three times in the past day!

Good topic.

regards,

Giles

I can send you a CD of 'Deep Listening' if you are still hunting for it. I'm sure I still have it in the loft. It is ripped into my system. Perhaps you were hunting for the vinyl though?

Bruce

Posted on: 13 March 2018 by nickpeacock
Bruce Woodhouse posted:
Bluebeard posted:

Good topic.

regards,

Giles

I can send you a CD of 'Deep Listening' if you are still hunting for it. I'm sure I still have it in the loft. It is ripped into my system. Perhaps you were hunting for the vinyl though?

Bruce

I too managed to find Deep Listening on CD at some point a few years ago and ripped it, so it's out there somewhere. Maybe try Discogs marketplace?