Oasis in Hi Fi?

Posted by: Skip on 16 March 2018

I have discovered the iTunes podcast and have only today first enjoyed the BBC Desert Island Discs.   I feel as if I have crossed a vista from Red State America!  

I listened today on a long drive through the Delta and discovered Oasis.    I further read that most of their recordings sound compressed and lo-fii.   What do you Oasis fans recommend for a Naim-worthy listen?  I will probably buy the CD or the vinyl, but I don't need more than one or two.  

Thanks for the recommendation. 

Posted on: 16 March 2018 by TK421

For me without any hesitation their best album is (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

However, SQ wise I would say what you've read is correct.

Many years ago, I took an Oasis CD along with a few other CD's for a dealer demo of some Denon separates. The dealer took one look and said something along the lines of "we won't bother with that one as the recording is c**p."

I'm not sure if there are any decently recorded versions to be had.

Still a great album though.

ATB,

Mike

Posted on: 16 March 2018 by SongStream

I'm no great fan, but they've created some nice choons over the years.  All the albums sound awful, massively compressed, and disappointing.  That's from a digital perspective though, perhaps vinyl fairs better, I wouldn't know.  You're probably better off listening to some the live stuff on youtube.  Sorry.

Posted on: 16 March 2018 by Foot tapper
Skip posted:

... What do you Oasis fans recommend for a Naim-worthy listen? ...

Thanks for the recommendation. 

Hi Skip,

Oasis were a fantastic band that couldn’t care less about sound quality as the brothers were too stoned on drugs ‘n alcohol to care about such niceties. They were arch proponents of the loudness wars.

First and foremost, I recommend playing at a low volume. Oasis tracks were mixed for uber max volume recording levels, so the recording quality is consistently nasty.

Second, buy the cd, as it’s cheaper than the lp. There is no sonic advantage to the lp, just the extra cost of the vinyl album and the wear on your expensive stylus.

Third, go for the first album, What’s the story (morning glory). Oasis recorded their first 3 albums worth of music in one spell before they became famous. The best tracks went on the first album, the middling ones on the second album and the rubbish ones on the third album. Naturally, muggins here has all three!

Despite all of the above, What’s the Story is truly a great album, though not for its fidelity. It may even sound best in mp3 format. I kid you not!

If you are interested in something more recent, Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds is releasing some great music.

Best regards,

FT

Posted on: 16 March 2018 by Skip

Thank you all for the quick replies late on a Friday/Saturday night.    Holy cats!   Love the fellowship and wisdom of this group.

Posted on: 16 March 2018 by Will99

Err .. their first album is 'Definitely Maybe' not '(What's The Story) Morning Glory'. It's also the best imo but that's the tunes not necessarily the recording. 

Posted on: 16 March 2018 by Foot tapper

Oops!

Posted on: 16 March 2018 by joerand

I generally eschew heavy compression and loudness mastering, but to me there are a handful of quality bands out there for which it works and fits their sonic signature. You've discovered Oasis. I'd also put Blur, Blink 182, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Green Day into that group. No denying the tuneful hooks and high energy present in their recordings.

Posted on: 16 March 2018 by Bob the Builder

Oasis made one exceptional record called Definitely Maybe after which each release got progressively worse IMO What's the Story has some good tracks but lacks the determination of their debut and as for getting an audiophile master forget it.

Posted on: 17 March 2018 by nickpeacock

Buy:

Definitely Maybe

What’s The Story...

The Masterplan (a collection of b-sides)

Try for a moment to imagine a world in which Blur were genuinely mentioned in the same class as Oasis in their pomp. I ask you...????

Posted on: 17 March 2018 by fathings cat

The first 2 albums and possibly the master plan are worth exploring and after that then they just  got stuck in a rut. I did see them live once and the were pathetic - Liam threatened to fight someone in the crowd and stormed off stage.....

My father in law refers to them as a Beatles tribute bad.

Gary

I saw them supported by The Bootleg Beatles!

Posted on: 17 March 2018 by fathings cat

Potentially confusing as to who was who then????

fathings cat posted:

Potentially confusing as to who was who then????

Exactly!

Posted on: 17 March 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

Skip - I share your love of Desert Island Discs but as for Oasis.........

Posted on: 17 March 2018 by Yetizone

Skip, 

A timely post! Funnily enough the other day I had an Oasis session after finally getting around to watching the Supersonic documentary (worth watching) and played most of their albums.

Agree with the comments expressed. Sound quality on the early albums is certainly ropey, although in compensation, the first two have an almost raw infectious energy about them that still makes them compelling.

Favs… Definitely Maybe, What’s The Story Morning Glory, The Masterplan and of the later albums I think Don’t Believe The Truth is a good solid album that saw them back on form and doesn’t get the praise it deserves.

Although of late, I’m preferring Noel Gallagher’s solo efforts as High Flying Birds, especially the latest Who Sold The Moon. Released in 24-bit – 44.10 kHz HD too.

Posted on: 17 March 2018 by Yetizone

Skip, Forgot - if you like the Desert Island Discs podcast (who doesn't!) then also check out another Radio4 show & podcast called Mastertapes presented by John Wilson. For each programme the host invites a musician to discuss the influences of a key album in their career - all in front of a small invited audience and in some cases playing live, then finally answering questions. Its a little hidden gem of a show and well worth a listen.

Posted on: 17 March 2018 by Skip
Yetizone posted:

Skip, Forgot - if you like the Desert Island Discs podcast (who doesn't!) then also check out another Radio4 show & podcast called Mastertapes presented by John Wilson. For each programme the host invites a musician to discuss the influences of a key album in their career - all in front of a small invited audience and in some cases playing live, then finally answering questions. Its a little hidden gem of a show and well worth a listen.

Thanks.   Subscribed.   BBC4 is an upgrade from NPR for sure.

Posted on: 19 March 2018 by keith waring

As  stated the sound quality is iffy on cd .This is how they wanted it to sound by all account,but with some of the albums recorded at abbey road you would think that they could sound better, maybe they wanted a live sound, loud and distorted. Strange that years ago i was at a Naim night demo and they used the  Oasis song half the world away  and that sounded very good For me the first album is the best, but masterplan with b sides and oddies is a very good. 

Posted on: 19 March 2018 by ewemon

The only album of there's I liked was Definitely Maybe and the best version I have heard was the very first mastering on Creation. Eveything after that was c**p and almost.unlistenable 

Posted on: 19 March 2018 by Tony2011
ewemon posted:

The only album of there's I liked was Definitely Maybe and the best version I have heard was the very first mastering on Creation. Eveything after that was c**p and almost.unlistenable 

Indeed, Ewe. I met them just before they went touring Japan in 1993 and was given the DM CD  and copy of the Columbia 12in EP- which was limited to 510 copies. Noel was actually a really nice guy. His brother on the other hand...

Posted on: 19 March 2018 by Yetizone

With regard to improvements over the original CD sound quality, has anyone bought the HD remaster of What's the Story Morning Glory - or perhaps Japanese CD versions?

Posted on: 19 March 2018 by keith waring

do not  think there is any other cds from around the world that are a upgrade to be honest, i  think there is a couple of cds that were sacds but by all accounts were not very good.The only cds that i heard praised  were the singles mixes ,they were meant to sound better but i have not heard them first hand tbo.

Posted on: 19 March 2018 by Bob the Builder
Tony2011 posted:
ewemon posted:

Indeed, Ewe. I met them just before they went touring Japan in 1993 and was given the DM CD  and copy of the Columbia 12in EP- which was limited to 510 copies. Noel was actually a really nice guy. His brother on the other hand...

Oasis would have been a complete non entity without Liam because although he isn't a bad song writer Noel has all the Charisma of a wet fish.

Posted on: 20 March 2018 by Yetizone
keith waring posted:

do not  think there is any other cds from around the world that are a upgrade to be honest, i  think there is a couple of cds that were sacds but by all accounts were not very good.The only cds that i heard praised  were the singles mixes ,they were meant to sound better but i have not heard them first hand tbo.

Thanks Keith. I pretty much assumed this would be the case in terms of the CD albums but thought I'd ask. Would be good to have a decent sounding version of Definitely Maybe and Whats The Story Morning Glory - never did consider buying the single CDs at the time! If the HD version WTSMG ever hits the sale racks of Qobuz & Co then I may plunge, but at the mo have other new releases vying for the disposable.

Posted on: 20 March 2018 by TOBYJUG

At that time 93-97 the pubs were filled with young uns just loving those Oasis songs played loud with a bothersome singalong.

Those other pubs that had a slightly more older and discerning drinker had this mostly playing as a deterrent..

https://img.discogs.com/b4NqOwno68PMTi5Iw_hWAqmsfcM=/fit-in/600x538/filters:strip_icc[):format[jpeg):mode_rgb[):quality[90)/discogs-images/R-1582795-1479475938-1259.jpeg.jpg

Paul Weller. Wild wood.

This from the Mod father showed those other scruffy mop heads how Brit pop should sound. Great tunes and awesome production.