Have you ever bought an album, simply becuase you liked the cover, and did you grow to like the music?

Posted by: Klyde on 21 April 2018

I've just liked an album posted by Bert, because I like the cat on the cover! I've also added it to my Tidal albums list for audition later. I realised this might be fun to do this, as now rarely buy albums without listening first.

My first album to get this 'treatment' was Vangelis - Albedo 0.39, which became a family favorite, as the first non-classical album in the house. The second was Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy, which sadly, but not unexpectedly didn't go down well with my parents!

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by Gazza

I always remember Clive Records in Romford market in the 70,s......the album covers were pegged on washing line on the stall. Bought Santana Caravanserai, Pink Floyd dark side of the moon on just covers and awful MW radio at the time.........Too many others to mention but very happy days

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by Christopher_M

The second Cure album, Seventeen Seconds. Loved the cover image, and the typography, the letters of the band's name arranged with perspective, as if they were on a runway facing the pilot of an aircraft about to land. Also, the cover wasn't glossy, it was matt with a textured feel. It said, 'I'm different' which seemed so important. The music was easy to love despite being unknown to me. The thrill of hearing the bassline intro to A Forest for the first time on my AR77XB. This is still a very precious record for me.

I bought their first record, Three Imaginary Boys, a month or so later. Also a brilliant cover in its own way. But you know how it is with your first love...

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by Innocent Bystander

In the days of browsing LPs in record shops, I discovered more music through the sleeve catching my interest, than any other means - back around 1970-71 I used to go round the three record shops in town every Saturday and browse, selecting maybe up to half a dozen to listen to, based on the sleeves, but many were rejected, often buying just one album, sometimes none. No way would I have bought just on the appearance without knowing I liked the music - it would simply have been a waste of money (unless such a good picture that it would be for hanging on the wall as visual art, but then I’ve never been into visual art).

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by TOBYJUG

Yes, nearly 40 %.  Knowing the record label and other snippets have helped finding the good ones, but I do have a box of Turkeys that really didn't hit the spot.

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by Nick Lees

Given the predilection here for simply posting a cover with nothing whatsoever to hint at genre/style I often go on cover alone. I’m very shallow.

P.S. Tried this method on the live album which features an attractive rear view of a young lady...never again ????

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by AndyP19
Nick Lees posted:

Given the predilection here for simply posting a cover with nothing whatsoever to hint at genre/style I often go on cover alone. I’m very shallow.

P.S. Tried this method on the live album which features an attractive rear view of a young lady...never again ????

Was it 'EC was here'?

Gazza posted:

I always remember Clive Records in Romford market in the 70,s......the album covers were pegged on washing line on the stall. Bought Santana Caravanserai, Pink Floyd dark side of the moon on just covers and awful MW radio at the time.........Too many others to mention but very happy days

But you had heard on the radio, so not on covers alone?

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by hungryhalibut
AndyP19 posted:
Nick Lees posted:

Was it 'EC was here'?

I imagine it’s Melody Gardot Live in Europe. I have and like her studio recordings but the live album is decidedly ropey. I only got it because Qobuz gave it to me free when a download went wrong. 

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by Nick Lees
AndyP19 posted:
Nick Lees posted:

Was it 'EC was here'?

No...and neither was it Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking though both of those would have fitted the above description. I'm on my way to being banned...

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by Bert Schurink

There is something funny about this. When I select albums to pre-listen then definitely the cover plays a role..., if it fits into my expectations I will select it..., however this one will never qualify....

I cant see anything - must be The Beatles ‘white album’,

edit: before posting, nothing was showing, just a white square. After posting this the cover appeared!

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by Bert Schurink
Innocent Bystander posted:

I cant see anything - must be The Beatles ‘white album’,

Just updated, sometimes direct copies don,’t work...

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by GraemeH
Hungryhalibut posted:
AndyP19 posted:
Nick Lees posted:

Was it 'EC was here'?

I imagine it’s Melody Gardot Live in Europe. I have and like her studio recordings but the live album is decidedly ropey. I only got it because Qobuz gave it to me free when a download went wrong. 

The very definition of ‘album’ then.

G

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by MDS
Hungryhalibut posted:
AndyP19 posted:
Nick Lees posted:

Was it 'EC was here'?

Good album and cover 

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by MDS

I can imagine a few of the early Roxy Music albums picked up some addition sales on the basis of the album covers.

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by Jonze

Back when I was still buying vinyl records, I've bought every release by Factory Records (Joy Division, New Order, Section 25, A Certain Ratio, OMD, etc.) just because I'm a huge fan of their minimalist album design ethos (led by their iconic designer Peter Saville). The music was a bonus for me!

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by nickpeacock

Yes, this, when I was in an excellent record shop in Budapest. I was having a long chat with the owner and rifling through various sections. Folktronica is I suppose how I would describe it.

Posted on: 22 April 2018 by TOBYJUG

I didn't buy this, and I'd imagine not many others - unless you knew it had a good album inside..

https://img.discogs.com/2-GArrApECT3lBxWXiktnXXjgfs=/fit-in/600x609/filters:strip_icc[):format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-3631357-1446744220-4847.jpeg.jpg

Posted on: 22 April 2018 by Gazza
Innocent Bystander posted:
Gazza posted:

But you had heard on the radio, so not on covers alone?

No just album covers......for those specifically mentioned. We had Radio Caroline giving a few tracks, the odd shop with a record booth, but most of the music was just great.......so we went with a great cover and then followed the band. As mentioned a few turkeys along the way......but that’s another thread. Also it was more communal....come on over I have the latest album by Xxxxx, and they would bring over their latest music.

Posted on: 22 April 2018 by pete T15

I can't remember the name of the shop in Chiswick but i bought this on the strength of the cover but it did have a '5' star  review stuck on it from the Guardian I Recall ? Anyway , absolutey no regrets and such a wonderful album still listened to very regularly . A total find and a reminder of how much I miss proper Record shops ....

Posted on: 22 April 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

C'mon, tell me that lots of us have not bought albums because they had a pretty girl (or good looking guy) on the front!

I'm sure the teenage me was guilty of that. Probably Debbie Harry, definitely early Kate Bush.

I think I also bought this Joy Division because lets face it, it is possibly the best vinyl album cover ever. First few listens I thought I had made a terrible mistake, but I got there in the end.

Image result for joy division

Bruce

Posted on: 23 April 2018 by Mulberry

About ten years ago I wanted to take a dive into West coast jazz from the fifties and the next few decades. Purely based on its cover this was my first purchase:

A lucky choice and my entrance into the world of Contemporary Records, now one of my favorite jazz labels.

Posted on: 11 May 2018 by Japtimscarlet

In my teens I used to buy albums exclusively on cover art...and when I found an artist I liked...and there were many ...I bought there other albums ( but not on cover art)

Many of these old albums are still in regular play ( I'm sixty now ...all bar a few months) so cannot have been that bad a stratigy

Only old band I really fell out of love with was cheap trick ...

Posted on: 11 May 2018 by EJS

Bought this album on the strength of the cover - the disc kicked off my fascination with Martinu's music.

Cheers

EJ

Posted on: 11 May 2018 by beatsbooster

I've bought Creed - Human clay just for the cover, and it was not bad for teenager me! Cover is really a big thing when buying new records some of us are very visual when picking something.

TOBYJUG posted:

I didn't buy this, and I'd imagine not many others - unless you knew it had a good album inside..

https://img.discogs.com/2-GArrApECT3lBxWXiktnXXjgfs=/fit-in/600x609/filters:strip_icc[):format[jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-3631357-1446744220-4847.jpeg.jpg

Hahahaha would'nt buy that either if i didn't know the band unless i can take the cd only ....but it's a good album