Statistics

Posted by: Don Atkinson on 25 September 2018

One of my favourite statistics is.....

”95% of the people who died in the U.K. last year, had eaten tomatoes”

cheers

Don

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by thebigfredc

My favourite is that for every inch over 6ft, a mans life expectancy goes down by 2 years.

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by Frank Yang

The more exciting Padded Cell thread is, the shorter it lives.

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by naim_nymph

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by Hook

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by Don Atkinson
thebigfredc posted:

My favourite is that for every inch over 6ft, a mans life expectancy goes down by 2 years.

Presumably we are referring to height . Not length of....... !

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by TOBYJUG

The percentage of people who choose the correct percentage is ?

A.    75 %

B.    45 %

C.     0 %

D.    100 %

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by Ardbeg10y
TOBYJUG posted:

The percentage of people who choose the correct percentage is ?

A.    75 %

B.    45 %

C.     0 %

D.    100 %

aaaarggh!

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by TOBYJUG

http://static.twentytwowords.com/wp-content/uploads/Pie-Chart-39.png

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by thebigfredc
naim_nymph posted:

Debs,

By applying your own rationale from the 2016 referendum result surely this means that 55% of the public do NOT support the idea of letting us vote on the deal.

Ray

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Huge

88.2% of statistics are made up on the spot.  (Vic Reeves)

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Richard Dane

Statistics show that you are four times more likely to be killed by a cow than a shark.

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Rich 1

Statistics! A good mathematician or a 'crooked politician' will show you that statistics prove exactly what they would like you to believe. Rich 

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Mike-B
Huge posted:

88.2% of statistics are made up on the spot.  (Vic Reeves)

WRONG,  the correct number is 87.49673%

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Mike-B

50% of the human population are below average 

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by hungryhalibut

I once did research on the impacts of group size on handling time (how quickly animals eat their food) of goldfish. When I couldn’t prove my theory against the null hypothesis I went to see the maths professor. On his advice I partitioned the variance into linear, quadratic and cubic components and substituted the null hypothesis for the alternative hypothesis and thereby proved by theory and got the paper published. Journal of Fish Biology. Hurrah!

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Huge

That's very fishy! 

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Don Atkinson

We’ll have to change his name from Hungryhalibut to Glutanygoldfish..........

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by hungryhalibut

Greedygoldfish would be simpler, and less of a challenge to spl. 

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Innocent Bystander

According to several surveys, apparently, the majority of drivers in the UK think their driving is above average...

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Richard Dane posted:

Statistics show that you are four times more likely to be killed by a cow than a shark.

Vets know that very well. Except I suspect that for most vets the factor is considerably larger...

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by JamieWednesday
naim_nymph posted:

Laugh. Is that real?

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by TOBYJUG

What is the statistic of finding an earth like planet out there that fits our present model.

Much effort has been made recently to find a planet that fits within our own criteria of what constitutes a habitable planet that could support life as we know it.

Who's to say that our relative next door neighbour Jupiter is not some huge gas megatropolis containing some vast gas evolution of life forms, civilisations, architecture and anything else that Quantum consciousness can make out of Hydrogen rather than carbon.

Much like Statistics it's just about us making a bigger picture if us.

Posted on: 01 October 2018 by Don Atkinson

Allegedly heard at a fringe meeting during the Labour Party conference last week by a militant union official giving a rousing speech…..

“……So, comrades, we are calling for a National Strike concerning the wages of ALL workers in the UK, not just union members, but ALL workers. And we shall remain on strike, until our demands are met…….that the wage of every worker in this great country of ours, is above the national average !”

Posted on: 01 October 2018 by rodwsmith

If the chances of there being a bomb on a plane are 10,000 to 1, then the chances of there being two bombs on the plane are 20,000 to 1.

Simply take a bomb with you - and halve the chances of someone else blowing you up.

Posted on: 01 October 2018 by Mulberry
Mike-B posted:

50% of the human population are below average 

Not perfectly true. Some people are average and only the remaining part of the population are either above or below average, which means both groups a smaller than 50%.