NDX2

Posted by: Neil H on 05 October 2018

Hi folks,

I have been fortunate enough to now own the all new NDX2 streamer. I would like to share this issue I have with anyone else who owns or maybe looking to own the streamer, firstly the volume on the new remote control does not operate as it should, it doesn't do anything up to now. I have called Naim Audio who have admittedly taken on the issue I have and will get in touch with me in due course to hopefully resolve the problem. Within the Naim app there are three volume settings to choose from, hybrid, fixed (default) were by I use the 252 remote for volume control and lastly variable. If I select variable and operate the volume on the NDX2 remote the volume levels appear in the display however without volume from the speakers........quite a strange one.

Anybody else experiencing this issue at all????

Posted on: 05 October 2018 by Crispy

Would you not need a bypass enabled in the 252 to enable the variable volume to work in the same way as with a surround sound receiver?

i do not have the volume option in the app for my NDX2. I recall selecting fixed when first setting up, but have not thought about it since then. I use standard cable and activate system automation in app then volume on NDX2 remote and pre amp remote both work.

Posted on: 05 October 2018 by Neil H

Hi

Thanks for that, I had seen that system automation option when I was navigating around the app options. I will give that a whirl.

Thanks again for your swift reply.

It does not help not having a proper manual, but the support page for the ND555 covers most things. 

Posted on: 05 October 2018 by Gazza

Andy from Signals put a automation cable from Nd555 to 252, works a treat. It needs selecting in the options in the App.

Thats interesting as well, I will give it a look thank you.

Just done some more testing with mine. Appears that if system automation is enabled, the volume option in the app disappears. 

yes agreed mine is just the same.... its a strange one!

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by engjoo

I just got my NDX2 a few days ago. It is currently in default fixed volume settings as I have system automation enable for control of preamp vol.

Looking forward to seeing a full comprehensive manual being published.

Some observations so far:

- display settings for switching off the display can only be accessed on the unit itself via the remote. I believe we should be able to do the same via the app.

- I have my display settings set to turn off after playing. Pressing the display button on the remote will turn on the display momentarily before going off again but the streamer button will jump into the next state (bright, medium, off) rather than staying unchanged or toggling with the display.

Suggestion: can we have the display turn on for each new track for say 5-10 secs ? 

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Clive B

That is what the display button is supposed to do (toggle between levels of brightness of the buttons). In order to see the display momentarily when it is playing in display off mode, press the button on the remote which looks like a list. This will show the track playing, then the cover art, then it will revert to display off. At least that's how it works on the ND555.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Gazza

You would be better to provide this feedback direct to Naim via the App or post in the Charlie Henderson ( new naim md) thread. As for the manual......there will not be anything other than you can find on the NDX2 website. Again one to raise with Naim.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by engjoo
Clive B posted:

That is what the display button is supposed to do (toggle between levels of brightness of the buttons). In order to see the display momentarily when it is playing in display off mode, press the button on the remote which looks like a list. This will show the track playing, then the cover art, then it will revert to display off. At least that's how it works on the ND555.

Thanks Clive! Works exactly as you has described! 

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Neil H

Hi Folks

Thanks ever so much for your reply, I have indeed spoke to Naim and voiced my issue with the NDX2, they are working on it and waiting patiently for a reply from them.

What they did tell me over a telephone conversation a while later, with regard to volume control from the NDX2 remote was to open up the setting in the Naim app, select volume settings and change the default setting which is fixed to variable and exit the app.

Pre select your listening volume control on your pre amp (in my case approx quarter of a turn) this then allows you to control the volume from the NDX2 remote. As well as seeing the volume figure in the NDX2 display increasing (0-100) a ring around the centre of the remote lights up as you increase the listening volume. I have tried this and it does work however if you are wanting the best possible sound quality Naim had told me that the use of this method utilises another wireless technology which is not as good as using the conventional method of increasing your listening volume via the pre amp remote.

I do hope this information helps anyone out there with regard to NDX2 remote control volume.

On the subject of NDX2 I was fortunate enough to trade in my XPS DR and purchase a new PS555 DR and I have to mention the difference in sound quality is quite amazing, if anyone is toying with the same idea...............its worth it!!

Regards and best wishes in the new year

Neil

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Clive B

Do you have a system automation cable plugged between the streamer's 'RC5 out' and the 'RC5 in' socket on the NAC252? If you have that (they're <£2 on eBay) and have turned system automation turned on, you can set the variable volume to fixed (default) and use the system automation to control the preamp volume. Then you can either use the iPad, or the NDX2 remote or the normal preamp remote to control the volume. All of these options control the preamp (rotate the volume knob) rather than adjusting the output of the NDX2. Again, at least that's how it works on the ND555 and, indeed, how it worked on the NDS.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Neil H

Hi Clive,

Thanks ever so much for the last correspondence, since then I have purchased a cheap and cheerful RCA cable, I almost felt guilty as this is probably the least expense item I have ever splashed out on when it comes to Naim HiFi.

My remote control issue is now a thing of the past and yes you are in fact correct in the fact that I can now control my listening volume via several remotes............. once again thank you so much for your initial message.

I must add and just to note for anyone else with this issue, from reading another thread one member reported that using the RCA cable degraded his sound quality in his system however I can report that it has not affected the sound quality in my system what so ever and am very happy with the outcome.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Mike Hughes

I’m potentially in the market for an NDX2 pending an audition. I’d probably part-ex my CDX2 and add the XPS2 to the streamer. Is the difference of any significance?

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Neil H

Hi Mike,

Yes is the answer to your question. I have been fortunate to run the streamer firstly without any external power supply, then with the XPS DR. It really does make the difference in the bottom end, it is tighter with more punch! as well as a clearer almost clinical sound elsewhere, thats my opinion, Its great. I have since moved onto a PS555 DR which again has made a great difference.

Hope this helps you in your decision!! It is well worth it I can assure you

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Mike Hughes

Thank you. Not sure I like the sound of clinical but the fact that there’s some difference is a starting point as I’d otherwise be tempted to get rid of the XPS2 and part ex the 200 for a 300.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Neil H

Hi Mike 

Don't be too alarmed of my description as Im pretty sure you would experience the sound differently as Im sure many would. The point I was making is that there is a substantial difference for the better and certainly well worth it.

As for your part ex I would be tempted to concentrate on your source and get it right before amplification the 200 is a damn good amp. I have had this amp then purchased a 250 DR which I did not have for very long before purchasing a 300 DR which I am happy with and plan to keep hold of.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by crackie

Really interrested in either a new NDX 2 or a S/H NDS. Anyone here prefer the NDX 2 more than a NDS ? Only problem is getting my hands on a S/H NDS where I live is not going to be easy. I'll be getting my 555PS the DR upgrade first though, so no rush I guess.

I get the vibe that the NDX 2 is perhaps a bit more "raw" than the NDS - a bit like the old CDX2 (rocker) vs CDS3 (all the rest) style music machine ?

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by trickydickie

I haven't done the comparison but the dealer I bought my NDS from whose opinion I highly respect was of the opinion that the NDS was still quite a step-up from the NDX2 with the same PSU being used for both.

I did mull buying the NDX2 for some time as it has the advantage of being able to be run bare.  As I didn't need the features of the new platform and for sound quality reasons I eventually decided to but a power supply for my NDX and upgrade to the NDS.  It ended costing me slightly more than a new bare NDX2 and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by engjoo

I have not heard an NDS side by side the NDX2 but I have upgraded from NDX to NDX2 recently. Comparing to the NDX, the NDX2 has a more natural and detailed sound. It is so much better to my ears with more 3D presentation and better clarity. The NDX2 is also faster in playing UPNP, Tidal and Spotify. The icing on the cake is Vtuner sounds better too.

I would say just because of updated interface and connection option (roon, choromcast, airplay), the upgrade is already very well justified.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Yes I am musing at a NDX2... I was never a fan of the sound of the NDS, I wrote quite a lot on this severeal years back, preferring very much the Naim DAC driven by the NDX at the time... but the world has moved on ... so will look to give a home demo.. it will be interesting to see if the NDX2 gives much more over my current very good system... but I do like the idea of the improved transport options and better RF decoupling and I am pleased it is still very distinct from the NDS, as indeed the ND555 is.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by james n

Is this just as a transport to your Hugo Simon or as a standalone player ?

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Mike Hughes

I didn’t see the attraction in any of the original streamers. You had to have an NDS plus power supply and top end amplification before you got anything remotely musical to my ears. A recent Audio T Naim led dem of the NDS v 555 confirmed that impression. The NDS just sounded wrong. 

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by crackie

That interesting Mike. I’ll have zero chance to hear both side by side. The only comparison will be my n-DAC / 555PS and NDX2 at home.

It’s hard to get a read on what the few reviews available, as well as some members comments here, say in regards to the differences. Some have the NDS/NDX2 (both via 555PS) as real close - but the NDS as still a bit ahead. The reviews say something similar too.