Naim Fraim specs

Posted by: RaceTripper on 14 October 2018

Are the Naim Fraim specs for dimensions listed on the website up to date and precise? I am deisgning a two stack system to intregrate with my system and room, and don't want surprises? This what is listed.

Standard level 175 mm
Medium level 250 mm
Tall level 324 mm
Base level 155 mm
(all inc. glass shelf

I may use Fraimlite as a top shelf to finish off each stack, but no components will sit on them (just records and stuff). The height for that is given as:
Standard level 150 mm

My plan for the two stacks (from bottom up):

Left side: total height = 480mm (~19") (the bottom of the turntable wall shelf is ~27)
Base to support HicapDR and NAPSC
Standard level to support NAP-250DR
Standard Fraimlite on top of that.

Right side: total height = 730mm (~29")
Base to support Herron Audio VTPH-2 (it is 4" high incl rubber feet and should have about 1-2" ventilation on a normal shelf)
Medium Level to support ND5-XS (i.e. ~7" to clear the VTPH-2a with plenty of ventilation, about how I have it now).
Standard Level to support NAC -282
Standard Fraimlite on top of that.

There is a chance I may use normal Standard Level Fraim (rather than Lite) for the top two shelves, if I decide to spend the extra $$$. Those would add 25mm (~1") to each stack.

I suppose another possibility is to do just one stack for everything and save money not buying a second base.

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by varyat

Hi Dean- Fraim will be the icing on the cake for your new speakers and subs I sent you a message via the SH forum- hope it clears things up..

ATB,

Mark

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by RaceTripper
varyat posted:

Hi Dean- Fraim will be the icing on the cake for your new speakers and subs I sent you a message via the SH forum- hope it clears things up..

ATB,

Mark

Thanks Mark. I responded to your message.

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by yeti42

The difference from lite is the glass and the double base but the legs are the same length so adding the published heights doesn’t work. Subtract 25cm for glass and balls and you’ll be closer.

Posted on: 14 October 2018 by Richard Dane

This might help a little;

4 standard = 3 intermediate = 2 Extended.

Posted on: 15 October 2018 by Loki

Given the heading I thought for one brief moment that Naim were moving into optical correction!

Posted on: 15 October 2018 by RaceTripper
yeti42 posted:

The difference from lite is the glass and the double base but the legs are the same length so adding the published heights doesn’t work. Subtract 25cm for glass and balls and you’ll be closer.

Thank you [@mention:1566878603942595] and [@mention:1566878603909035]

So notwithstanding the Fraim base (at 132mm as per [@mention:1566878603942595]'s graphic), it looks I can use the Fraimlite specs to determine overall height. It looks like I might be able to fir the brains under the TT wall shelf and put the brawn to the right after all. I'll need to double check.

Posted on: 15 October 2018 by jsaudio

you may want to switch the sides and put amp and power supply on the right so the transformers are away from the the pre-amp and source

jsaudio posted:

you may want to switch the sides and put amp and power supply on the right so the transformers are away from the the pre-amp and source

I would like to, if it fits that way. I have to determine if the source side will fit under the turntable shelf.

OK, if I calculate this correctly now (Fraimlite on top level only = no glass, Fraim otherwise, from base up)
the left side (brain) is: Base + med + std + std = 132 + 224 + 150 + 150 = 656mm (~26")
thr right side (brawn) is: Base + std + std = 132 + 150 + 150 = 432mm (~17")

Can anyone confirm? Thank you in advance.

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by RaceTripper

I am going to order my Fraim next week (black + black). I am getting the two stacks as described in my previous post above (from 10/15/18). 

I will be installing these on a bare wood floor. Do the Fraim base units come with floor protectors for the spikes or will I need to come up with something myself. I still have unused the ones that came with my Dynaudio Confidence speakers: they are [2" diameter) metal disks with spike cups on the top and rubber o-rings ion the bottom. Would those do OK?

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by No quarter

My Fraim base did not come with the floor protectors,I had to order them separately.They are called “Naim Fraim Chips”,just google them to see what they look like.I would think your C2 floor protectors would work just fine,but you will always wonder,am I missing something...

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by RaceTripper

Thanks. Do you remember what you paid for the chips? I would need two sets.

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by No quarter

No,sorry I don’t,because they were mixed in with other things that I ordered at the same time.Just like everything Naim,they are not cheap from what I remember...my guess would be 150 dollars for three.

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by ChrisSU

In the UK, Chips are £19.40 each. You can often pick up used ones, but maybe that’s no so easy in the US. 

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by RaceTripper

I found them on a price list...$35 each. For what Fraim costs, you'd think they would include everything you need. Now I have to spend another $230 to complete the parts list for something that already costs thousands. 

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by ChrisSU

You only need them on certain floor types, so including them with all Fraim bases would be a waste, and an extra cost for those who don't need them.

Fair enough, but $35 each seems rather excessive for little metal feet. It's still frustrating that after spending so much on Naim I feel like I'm getting nickel-and-dimed on it. Ugh. When I bought my Clearaudio table, it also didn't include the feet for the spikes, but they were provided free for the asking.

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by CharlieP

When you see them (the chips) you will see they are machined and purposely designed with thought to the mechanical interface to the floor.  Perhaps then the coat may seem more reasonable.

Charlie

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by iliria
CharlieP posted:

When you see them (the chips) you will see they are machined and purposely designed with thought to the mechanical interface to the floor.  Perhaps then the coat may seem more reasonable.

Charlie

What mechanical interface with the floor? They are purely there to protect the floor from getting scratched/damaged. Any type of chips would do exactly the same job.

Racetripper, save yourself the money and just use a lot cheaper ones you can easily find elsewhere.

I think Naim goes on the principle that if people blow thousands on a Hifi rack they wouldnt think twice about spending a few pennies (relatively speaking) on accessory snake oil.

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Clive B

I use Fraim chips under racks and speakers, but as Iliria says, there's nothing special about them other than they're machined in the same way as the cups on the tops of the Fraim legs. If you wanted to save money, I'm sure a quarter under each spike would serve just as well.

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Christopher_M
Clive B posted:

I use Fraim chips under racks and speakers, but as Iliria says, there's nothing special about them other than they're machined in the same way as the cups on the tops of the Fraim legs. If you wanted to save money, I'm sure a quarter under each spike would serve just as well.

I can sense the mechanical engineers at the factory wincing!

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Richard Dane
Christopher_M posted:
Clive B posted:

I can sense the mechanical engineers at the factory wincing!

I can't speak for Naim's mechanical engineers, but it certainly had me wincing...

Following a similar comment years ago regarding how 2p or 10p pieces would do just as well, I once did a listening test, and I'm pleased to say that of all the things that were placed under Fraim and SL2 spikes, the Fraim Chip Floor Protectors gave the best performance. 

Well, it's just a little frustrating. I don't have unlimited funds at my disposal. My purchases for hifi gear are well-considered and planned long in advance. I only ever pay cash – saving and setting it aside as I go. When unexpected extras pop up it's frustrating, because it delays things when I have to come up with more funds. I have to take that much more time to save for it.

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Clive B

I suspect there are too many other variables to be so assertive including, of course, the type of floor surface, its construction and the load borne by the chips. That being said, the design of the chips is quite clever in the way that it ensures the load is distributed away from the location of the spike. Furthermore, Fraim chips do look best under the Fraim racks as they continue the theme, albeit at quite a cost. 

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Peder
iliria posted:
CharlieP posted:

Charlie

1????What mechanical interface with the floor? They are purely there to protect the floor from getting scratched/damaged. Any type of chips would do exactly the same job.

2????Racetripper, save yourself the money and just use a lot cheaper ones you can easily find elsewhere.

3????I think Naim goes on the principle that if people blow thousands on a Hifi rack they wouldnt think twice about spending a few pennies (relatively speaking) on accessory snake oil.

1???? ILIRIA,...WRONG,..if you had tested you had not written so.
Naim Fraim Chips contribute to better Soundquality.!

2???? ILIRIA,...Again..If you had tested you had not given such advice.
A very bad advice,..which also contributes to the worse Soundquality.!

3???? ILIRIA,...You wrote "on accessory snake oil"

If you write so,..you just confirm that you have not tested,and do not know what you're talking about.

Unfortunately,this is how "fake news" arises,if you have not tested so you know of course not..You can not sit and advise and pronounce if you do not know.
I get so tired of such statements.

???? CLIVE B wrote,.....I use Fraim chips under racks and speakers,but as Iliria says,there's nothing special about them other than they're machined in the same way as the cups on the tops of the Fraim legs.If you wanted to save money,I'm sure a quarter under each spike would serve just as well.

?Answer,...WRONG,WRONG and WRONG.!

???? RICHARD DANE wrote,....I once did a listening test,and I'm pleased to say that of all the things that were placed under Fraim and SL2 spikes,the Fraim Chip Floor Protectors gave the best performance. 

?Answer,...I agree with,..I/we have tested this many times on different floors and substrates.
Even on concrete floor it is better with Naim Fraim Chips between the floor and spike's.

And yes,..I/we have tested this many times before we pronounce us,just like Richard Dane.

/Peder????