Julian Vereker

Posted by: ursus262 on 21 October 2018

I ask the question of those who knew him - what was his sense of humour like?  From the previous advertisements for Naim products, it would appear that he had a very dry sense of humour!

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by AndyP19

Also, I’d like to know who was his favourite rock band?

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Gazza

Interesting theme and questions, look forward to some of the anecdotes....now where is the Paul Stephenson?

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Don Atkinson
AndyP19 posted:

Also, I’d like to know who was his favourite rock band?

I think he had a soft spot for Carly Simon !

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by French Rooster

i downloaded a naim album recently, «  antonio forcione with trilok gurtu », mastered by Julian Vereker.  The quality of the sound is very average, i was a bit surprised.  1999 naim label album.

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by kuma

How I wish he was still running the company!!

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by ken c
kuma posted:

How I wish he was still running the company!!

Hear, hear …!!

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Ardbeg10y
French Rooster posted:

i downloaded a naim album recently, «  antonio forcione with trilok gurtu », mastered by Julian Vereker.  The quality of the sound is very average, i was a bit surprised.  1999 naim label album.

Maybe use SBL's?

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Mike-B
French Rooster posted:

The album is called "Ghetto Paradise" if anyone is struggling with finding it.  I agree its not "amazing" sound,  but I cannot agree its average. Some of the music is very special once you accept its not typical jazz or flamenco guitar.  I get the Favela feel & is what I believe is trying to be captured with this album.   Try "Meet Me In London" Antonio Forcione with Sabina Sciubba,  also mastered by JV.  

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Rich 1

I don't know who was Head of marketing at the time of Julian, maybe it was Julian? I do recall that whenever I went to a hi fi show Naim would always have a decent size bag with a large Naim logo on it so that you could put other manufacturers brochures in but only advertise Naim when you walked around. I also remember that the early advertising was quite engaging compared to to now. Rich 

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Richard Dane

Paul S was the real driving force behind Naim sales and marketing initiatives.  

Remember these from the 1980s?

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Ardbeg10y

A successful business is rarely dependent on one genius, it are mostly a bunch of lads together with complimentary talents. Sales, tech, vision, continuity, admin, production etc ...

Having written that, I am most interested in the leadership at Naim in the days - also for inspiration to for own endeavours.

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Loki
French Rooster posted:

'downloaded'

There's your answer.

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Loki
Richard Dane posted:

Paul S was the real driving force behind Naim sales and marketing initiatives.  

Remember these from the 1980s?

I love this, although I can't stand the asymmetry of the placement of each 250 on the desks! I still have an early 90s calendar with the 'not two Nait Josephine' et alia. Does Naim still produce calendars? 

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Gazza

No calendars, but they were asking on Facebook if customers were interested in T shirts, recently.

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by French Rooster
Mike-B posted:
French Rooster posted:

The album is called "Ghetto Paradise" if anyone is struggling with finding it.  I agree its not "amazing" sound,  but I cannot agree its average. Some of the music is very special once you accept its not typical jazz or flamenco guitar.  I get the Favela feel & is what I believe is trying to be captured with this album.   Try "Meet Me In London" Antonio Forcione with Sabina Sciubba,  also mastered by JV.  

the music is very fine but not the sound, for me of course.   Meet me in London is my favorite naim album and also very well recorded.  So i am just a bit surprised by the mid good recording of Ghetto Paradise.  But i doesn’t stop me to appreciate it.

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by French Rooster
Loki posted:
French Rooster posted:

'downloaded'

There's your answer.

it is the wav 16/44 download on the naim label site.  

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Peder

Both Naim and Linn had much better/funnier ads on the 80 and 90 's.
They were much more "cheeky" ????.

It was other times when,..But one was proud to have a T-shirt with a Naim or Linn logo.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Geoff C

True story - Julian had a Linn Amp as a doorstop!

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Beachcomber

Really?  The one I saw was a NAP 120 or something like that...

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Paul Stephenson

Julian liked, suzie&the banshees,Janis Ian,lots of jazz,John lee hooker, some reggae, John burns of Russ Andrews hifi ( they sold albums as well as hifi)sent him a monthly stack of new things to try.

Sense of humour for sure. He really enjoyed working and producing the Naim ads. Quite a few people had input but he was always involved.

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by AndyP19

Thanks Paul nice insight and great to see he had such a wide taste in music.

Posted on: 23 October 2018 by Geoff C
Beachcomber posted:

Really?  The one I saw was a NAP 120 or something like that...

Yes, i saw it with my own eyes!

Posted on: 25 October 2018 by Mike Hughes
Ardbeg10y posted:

A successful business is rarely dependent on one genius, it are mostly a bunch of lads together with complimentary talents. Sales, tech, vision, continuity, admin, production etc ...

Having written that, I am most interested in the leadership at Naim in the days - also for inspiration to for own endeavours.

A “bunch of lads”...! A fairly astonishing comment really. 

Posted on: 25 October 2018 by Derek Wright

If you consider the term lads to include bright people in their late teens, early 20s then just about all the big name companies were formed in combination with the availability of processor chips. Eg HP, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, etc etc etc  all were created by various bunches of lads.

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by Ardbeg10y

There is not so much difference between lads and saints.

But I'm non native speaker, I might have a different interpretation of the word 'lads'.