How many copies of the same LP/content do you have?

Posted by: Happy Listener on 05 November 2018

Noticing recent threads on vinyl re-issues and the general level of re-issues (across formats, inc streaming) which are hitting the market (e.g. Bowie/Kate Bush), I wonder how many times we've paid for the same LP/content i.e. not including 2nd-hand purchases or the free-downloads)…….and why do we keep buying the same thing over and over again!? What are we hoping for, given the underlying tapes et al must be compromised after all this time albeit, I suspect, better processing may balance this out. It's often recorded on the Forum that original pressings are the best version. 

IIRC, Richard mentioned on a thread he's has 5 copies of Love Over Gold (all vinyl?) and may be interested in a 6th, if MoFi produce one.

I'll own up to 5 copies of Making Movies  -  2 vinyl from the 1980's (one 1/2-speed mastered copy which I scratched big time), 1 x 180g remastered from c.2014 (IIRC), and 2 x CD (one for the car), one being a remastered version from c.2014 which sounds like a vinyl version as it has so much surface noise. Mr Knopfler has done well out of me!...…..and I've only 3 copies of Love Over Gold (so far). 

What about other Forumites?  Some members out there must have multiple copies of DSOTM?

Posted on: 05 November 2018 by Guinnless

I've only bought replacement vinyl if

a) mine was quite worn or noisy (it could have been s/h in the first place)
b) an audiophile version was available e.g. MoFi etc

Very rarely I've bought the same album another format but only twice that I recall.

Posted on: 05 November 2018 by Richard Dane

In my own defence I would say that I have lived in the UK and US and often have bought vinyl issues from both countries. I have bought multiple copies of certain LPs when either searching for a perfect pressing, where often they are imperfect, or where anything less than totally silent and unworn vinyl is required (e.g. Love Over Gold). I have multiple issues of Steely Dan LPs - US and UK pressings and issues, searching for that elusive best cut pressing.  I only have 5 different LP issues of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, and the same number of issues of Dark Side of The Moon. So I'm not even in the running there. I know there are others on here with many more...

Posted on: 05 November 2018 by ALANP

I suppose my achilles heal is The Beatles "white album"

I own an original numbered pressing from '68

A replacement bought in '77 to sub for the above copy

A numbered cd first edition cd from '87

A remastered  cd from '09

A Japanese SHM-CD from '17

oh ,and awaiting "patiently"  ,the box set due this Friday 

Posted on: 05 November 2018 by Motel Blues

The Blue Nile’s “Peace At Last” is probably my contender in this category.

I bought the original CD on release.

I bought the original LP, which lagged several months behind the CD release because it was the mid-1990s and that’s what record labels did back then. I sent the CD to a friend.

I bought another copy of the original CD to play in the car several years later.

I bought the collectors’ edition double CD.

I bought the collectors’ edition 24-bit download.

I bought the collectors’ edition double LP, which lagged several years behind the CD release because everything takes time in Blue Nile world.

I’ve also bought it at least twice as presents for friends/family.

Nevertheless, it remains my least favourite Blue Nile album.

Posted on: 05 November 2018 by notnaim man

I have many albums duplicated on vinyl and CD, mainly so I could listen in the car as well as at home.

Joe Cocker Sheffield Steel, racks up the most copies. At the time of release there was quickly identified that only a (relative) few copies showed as Sterling Sound on both sides. I had one and it had been a gift so was precious, I bought other copies so as not to wear it out. Those copies show Sterling one one side or other. Then I was given a remaster/limited edition pressing, that is dire, the level is very low compared to others. None of this tallies with the information on Discogs. The same as the three CD copies that the liner prints are distinctly different. Please don't ask for matrix details they are in storage.

Deliberate duplication - I have three copies of Steeleye Span Parcel of Rogues, my go to test album, one to play, one that has not been through the RCM and a spare.

Posted on: 05 November 2018 by Guinnless
notnaim man posted:
Deliberate duplication - I have three copies of Steeleye Span Parcel of Rogues, my go to test album, one to play, one that has not been through the RCM and a spare.

An interesting choice of test album!   I do own it (along with several other Steeleye albums) - what tracks do you use and why ?

Posted on: 05 November 2018 by notnaim man
Guinnless posted:
notnaim man posted:

An interesting choice of test album!   I do own it (along with several other Steeleye albums) - what tracks do you use and why ?

I suppose partly familiarity. If things are right it is always an album where I choose a track and end up listening to all of both sides. Across the whole album there is use of studio reverb, back in the days of a Pioneer PL12D it was a pleasant, echoey, spacious effect,  various changes later and it became false and annoying. Definitely for some reason it diminishes in effect when the equipment is connected through a balanced mains transformer.

Alison Gross - the fuzz guitar and violin played without vibrato is a test for tracking and bias setting. But it has to sound nasty to describe the hideous witch.

In The Bold Poachers, when .."one hanged..." there is a high, delicate ethereal voice in the background. Not always easy to hear.

Robbery With Violins is about ensemble, the speed and timing of the bass.

With all of side 2 it is often intelligibility of the vocals, especially Rogues in a Nation and Cam Ye O'r Fra France with the Scots accent. Again when things are right the drum in Rogues in a Nation is insistent, comes from way back behind the speakers.

Posted on: 06 November 2018 by Kevin-W

I have Dark Side of the Moon in 21 different versions (vinyl, SACD, CD), Wish You Were Here in 19 (LP, CD, SACD), and New Order's Movement in 17 (LP, cassette, CD). I also have Joy Division's Closer and Unknown Pleasures each in 13 versions. Also New Order: Brotherhood (10), Power Corruption & Lies (10), Technique (8, including a pre-recorded DAT that I've never played). Additionally: Floyd's Animals (8), and Meddle (8), Atom Heart Mother (7) and Piper at the Gates of Dawn (9).

Winner, however, is the Blue Monday 12", which I have in 24 different versions!

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by rsch

Collector's bug perhps ?

If this applies to vinyl and cd either,  including various worlwide editions over the years, to name a few here i have

Bauhaus - In The Flat Field    9

Dead Can Dance -  Spleen and Ideal    14

Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses   20

Duran Duran - All You Need Is now   44

Durutti Column - The Return of ... 8

Brian Eno - Another Green World   15 

Japan - Gentleman Take Polaroids   6

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here   6

David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees   6

Morover, it happens that i have 2 or 3 copies of the very same. 

There was a friend of a friend who is one of the most huge Siouxsie's fan worldwide and even in the first days of vinyl, he bought 3  copies from the start. One to be played, one for archive and another like spare copy if anything goes wrong.

Another friend who is one of the most recognizeable Joy Division collector over the world, knows a bloke who is into Franco Battiato, He claims that the perfect number for every album release is 5

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by Clive B

When I saw the title of this thread I was going to post about the seven copies of Close to the Edge, which I have in my collection, but having scanned down the page I realise I'm a mere beginner!

Clive B posted:

When I saw the title of this thread I was going to post about the seven copies of Close to the Edge, which I have in my collection, but having scanned down the page I realise I'm a mere beginner!

No prob, you can easly recoup,  Discogs lists over 200 versions of this.

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by Richard Dane
rsch posted:

...Duran Duran - All You Need Is now   44...

Roberto, is this a typo?

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by Beachcomber
Clive B posted:

I had a similar reaction.  I have only one LP duplicated as vinyl, plus CD version plus downloaded version.  Otherwise most of my LPs are duplicated as CDs.  Pathetic.

Richard Dane posted:
rsch posted:

Roberto, is this a typo?

Hi Richard,

It's not a typo, i actually have 44 copies  of this. At the time of release i managed to order them on Amazon. This album was released pretty much worldwide. Recently i found the Philippines edition on Discogs

https://www.discogs.com/master/view/295391

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by Timmo1341

Prior to joining this forum I had no idea just how many obsessives there are in the world! Seriously, this has been a real eye opener for me. Harmless fun, a bit like stamp or coin collecting I guess. Not being a collector of anything (I just buy stuff to use, don’t use vinyl and only have one version of all my CDs) I find it a bit of an alien concept.

We can view this even like a form of investiment

Here is a list on Discogs for the most expensive records sold over there. Recently a copy of Pink Floyd  Ummagumma (' 70 promo Japanese edition, sold for $ 13.950)

I have 3 copies of Human League Credo 2lp vinyl edition which recently sold for 250 euro (nm condition) at the moment there is only a copy for sale at 500 euro. Two years ago i sold  The Smiths Complete box set for 550 euro (the original cost was 240 euro)

Now the asking price varies from 590 to 850 euro.

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by Kevin-W
rsch posted:

Here is a list on Discogs for the most expensive records sold over there. Recently a copy of Pink Floyd  Ummagumma (' 70 promo Japanese edition, sold for $ 13.950)

I have 3 copies of Human League Credo 2lp vinyl edition which recently sold for 250 euro (nm condition) at the moment there is only a copy for sale at 500 euro. Two years ago i sold  The Smiths Complete box set for 550 euro (the original cost was 240 euro)

Regards

Roberto

Roberto, I had two copies of the ultra-limited (just 25 copies) edition of The Durutti Column's "Time Was Gigantic..." CD [the group's press guy was one of my best mates]. It had another disc's worth of material, was signed and numbered by Vini, and came with a plectrum. It's so rare, it's not even listed on Discogs (must put that right).

I sold one copy on a well-known auction site back in 2002 for £850. I wonder how much my remaining copy is worth today. more? Or less?

Kevin-W posted:
rsch posted:

Regards

Roberto

Roberto, I had two copies of the ultra-limited (just 25 copies) edition of The Durutti Column's "Time Was Gigantic..." CD [the group's press guy was one of my best mates]. It had another disc's worth of material, was signed and numbered by Vini, and came with a plectrum. It's so rare, it's not even listed on Discogs (must put that right).

I sold one copy on a well-known auction site back in 2002 for £850. I wonder how much my remaining copy is worth today. more? Or less?

Well done ! one of my fav. groups !

R.

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by Richard Dane

Thanks Roberto. I have to admit, although I used to really like Duran Duran and have most of their albums on LP, I have never heard that album. I stopped at the Wedding album. As you own 44 copies, dare I ask if it’s any good...?

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by Japtimscarlet

I'm just a beginner too with just 6 copies of DSoTM

Also 4 vinyl copies of Do it yourself (Ian duty)

But in my defense...I don't have a turntable....

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by rsch

Hi Richard,  yes it' s quite brilliant, pure pop music in 80s first album/Rio fashion.

You can easly make you an idea with Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvqnJ8AGhFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYf_BsPO_K0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...p;list=RDAO4RhMhQJiM

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Mike Hughes

I had a period of a few months where I bought CD replacements of vinyl but after that there’s only been The Beatles and Dylan In Mono boxes and my three CD copies of Colossal Youth by Young Marble Giants which if nothing else proved that reducing the noise floor is not the same as increasing sound quality. The middle of the three is easily the best. 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Alley Cat
rsch posted:
Richard Dane posted:
rsch posted:

Roberto, is this a typo?

Hi Richard,

It's not a typo, i actually have 44 copies  of this. At the time of release i managed to order them on Amazon. This album was released pretty much worldwide. Recently i found the Philippines edition on Discogs

https://www.discogs.com/master/view/295391

Regards

Roberto

Is that the album?  CD or vinyl? 44 copies sheesh!

Good title track, not as keen on the rest of it.

Happy Listener posted:

Noticing recent threads on vinyl re-issues and the general level of re-issues (across formats, inc streaming) which are hitting the market (e.g. Bowie/Kate Bush), I wonder how many times we've paid for the same LP/content i.e. not including 2nd-hand purchases or the free-downloads)…….and why do we keep buying the same thing over and over again!? What are we hoping for, given the underlying tapes et al must be compromised after all this time albeit, I suspect, better processing may balance this out. It's often recorded on the Forum that original pressings are the best version. 

IIRC, Richard mentioned on a thread he's has 5 copies of Love Over Gold (all vinyl?) and may be interested in a 6th, if MoFi produce one.

I'll own up to 5 copies of Making Movies  -  2 vinyl from the 1980's (one 1/2-speed mastered copy which I scratched big time), 1 x 180g remastered from c.2014 (IIRC), and 2 x CD (one for the car), one being a remastered version from c.2014 which sounds like a vinyl version as it has so much surface noise. Mr Knopfler has done well out of me!...…..and I've only 3 copies of Love Over Gold (so far). 

What about other Forumites?  Some members out there must have multiple copies of DSOTM?

Great thread.

Japan - Gentlemen take polaroids -  vinyl copies, maybe on CD too.  Would have bought the half speed remaster though several comments on river of LP 2 being warped.

David Sylvian - Secrets of the Beehive - at least 2 LPS, both very noisy or scratched, one was when originally purchased, the second copy was not better.  CD too I suspect.

Kate Bush/Pink Floyd - several LP copies of many albums, CD versions and purchased downloads in many cases.

Mansun - Six - 2 vinyl copies

Many others - often as others mention as the first one is original and possibly worn, or you gamble a new pressing or secondhand may be in better condition than when you played it on your Alba music centre (or was it Ferguson) with an old 5p piece blu tacked to the headshell to stop certain tracks jumping!

I think if we have a favourite on vinyl there's always a desire to have a backup copy of some kind just in case as you know you may not get one new in coming years again.

I also suspect I have many albums duplicated on CD or LP that I originally purchased on compact cassette when I went to University , later wishing I'd bought the vinyl, though a college pal with a Nakamichi deck dispelled any thought of it being a complete  dead duck of a format.

Same goes for favourite movies - I have movies I got on VHS, later DVD, then BluRay and a few on 4k UHD releases as well as the occasional HD download from iTunes when only DVD available in UK.

Fair to say 99.9% of the public would think we're all crackers.

Other reasons for duplicates include the fact you've forgotten you'd already purchased it !  I'm serious, when my LP12 was in storage I bought several LPs and just stored them away and have accidentally bought other copies since and then found the original purchases.

A follow-on question might be how many of these duplicates have been played to compare with an original and how many have you bought which lie 'waiting in the wings' in case you need them.