Muso Airplay 2 Update Problem

Posted by: Praggers on 14 November 2018

Anybody else had a problem with the latest update for Muso?

A few minutes into the update all the lights of the Muso went off (like I'd unplugged it).

A factory reset I'm told will fix it.

Should I unplug then replug the Muso before I reset it?

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by Brian H

I just left it alone until it settled down despite the urge to do something. Surprisingly things were fine eventually.

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by blythe

Mine have updated without any issues. It did take a while for them to come back to life. I just left them to do their own thing.

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by dave simpson

Unfortunately my AirPlay 2 update appeared to go smoothly but after the Muso came back online Airplay no longer outputs any sound from the Muso. Two factory resets did nothing. All network devices including Muso see each other and commands like pause or play issued from either a iPhone or Mac to the Muso or vice versa execute but there's just no output using AirPlay.  Waiting to hear back from Naim Support now....what luck, I've only had it a week.

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by naimsayer

Mine hung the first time I tried to update it, I left it for hours and it just sat there with "fast circling lights" on the volume control. Eventually I powered it off, worrying that I had bricked it, but it came back ok although still on 1.6. I tried the update again and the android app failed, I think because it had already downloaded the new firmware to the phone. I deleted two downloaded files and tried again, this time it took about 10 minutes with progress being shown on the volume control, the segments slowly lighting up until the circle was complete and then going out in reverse. 

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by cdboy

No issues here. Very straight forward. Even got Siri to start the Mu-so. Nice.

dave simpson posted:

Unfortunately my AirPlay 2 update appeared to go smoothly but after the Muso came back online Airplay no longer outputs any sound from the Muso. Two factory resets did nothing. All network devices including Muso see each other and commands like pause or play issued from either a iPhone or Mac to the Muso or vice versa execute but there's just no output using AirPlay.  Waiting to hear back from Naim Support now....what luck, I've only had it a week.

I just checked (in a mild panic) to see it mine still played Airplay from my MacBook to my Muso's and I'm relieved it does!

cdboy posted:

No issues here. Very straight forward. Even got Siri to start the Mu-so. Nice.

How do you get Siri to start your Muso?

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Brian H

Confirming that AirPlay works here with iPad to MU-so.

Perhaps broadband speed can make the update take a while. Mine around 70 mb/s took less than 10 mins.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Praggers

I tried a reset but the Muso did not respond from its ‘Off’ state.

So I unplugged it for 1 minute and then plugged it back in where it came back on.
I then re-installed the update successfully.

I also had to power off my iPad and restart it to connect with the Naim App!

Also, check on your Mac that the Airplay symbol is engaged. 

All good now.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Brian H

Good feeling. Relief

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by dave simpson
blythe posted:
dave simpson posted:

I just checked (in a mild panic) to see it mine still played Airplay from my MacBook to my Muso's and I'm relieved it does!

Good deal. Looks like I’m stuck with no way to AirPlay until Support responds with a firmware download link or other suggestions. 

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by PBenny1066

Updated one Muso and two qbs today without any issues. It took about 5-10 minutes for each device.

Out of curiosity also set home Siri. To do this there is good guidance from Apple, google Apple Home-hub set up. You basically need either an Apple TV, home hub or latest iPad, and set this up as a home hub, to which you can add devices such as the NAIM musos. 

Unless I’m mistaken the whole thing seems, unsurprisingly to be geared towards playing Apple  music. I don’t have any Apple Music, so all that it seems you can do is to turn speakers on and off, turn volume up and down etc. I had visions of being able to play anything from my unitiserve or Tidal using voice commands, but sadly this is not the case. Or if it is, then I haven’t found it. So for the present it’s nothing more than a curiosity.

Paul

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Dune buggy
naimsayer posted:

Mine hung the first time I tried to update it, I left it for hours and it just sat there with "fast circling lights" on the volume control. Eventually I powered it off, worrying that I had bricked it, but it came back ok although still on 1.6. I tried the update again and the android app failed, I think because it had already downloaded the new firmware to the phone. I deleted two downloaded files and tried again, this time it took about 10 minutes with progress being shown on the volume control, the segments slowly lighting up until the circle was complete and then going out in reverse. 

Same thing happened on my mu-so.  My Qb updated first time without any hitch.  

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by peterv

My Mu-so updated without any problem within a few minutes after starting the update on an iPhone XS Max and plays from Apple Music beautifully in sync with a Beoplay M3.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by cdboy
PBenny1066 posted:

Unless I’m mistaken the whole thing seems, unsurprisingly to be geared towards playing Apple  music. I don’t have any Apple Music, so all that it seems you can do is to turn speakers on and off, turn volume up and down etc. I had visions of being able to play anything from my unitiserve or Tidal using voice commands, but sadly this is not the case. Or if it is, then I haven’t found it. So for the present it’s nothing more than a curiosity.

Paul

Siri will play any music on an Apple device that has Siri. (iPhone, iPad) It does not need to be Apple Music.

Hi Cdboy

thanks, but not sure I understand your reply. If my music is on a upnp server ( eg NAS or Unitiserve), there seems no way to control it using Siri. Likewise, no way to control a Tidal or Spotify on the Muso.  Or have I missed something ?

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by blythe

After trying for hours, I give up on trying to get Siri to control anything.
I have an Apple TV which apparently should show something called "HomeKit" - this setting is not on my Apple TV.
I have made sure the ATV is up to date. Still nothing.
If I try to use the Home app on my phone, it asks me to scan something (Q-code?)  into the phone from the device I wish to connect.
I cannot find a Q-Code on my Naim Muso QB's.
I think I'll stick with using my fingers rather than voice to control things.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Richard Morris
blythe posted:

After trying for hours, I give up on trying to get Siri to control anything.
I have an Apple TV which apparently should show something called "HomeKit" - this setting is not on my Apple TV.
I have made sure the ATV is up to date. Still nothing.
If I try to use the Home app on my phone, it asks me to scan something (Q-code?)  into the phone from the device I wish to connect.
I cannot find a Q-Code on my Naim Muso QB's.
I think I'll stick with using my fingers rather than voice to control things.

I entered my Mu-so into Home (on an iPhone 8) without a code. Go to add accessory/don't have a code - the Mu-so should appear on the screen.

Yes, I didn’t need a code either, when you us3 “add accessory” it should see all available devices......

There are a few settings in Apple TV that must be correct - eg enabling HomeKit in Airplay. Also read somewhere that it must be the latest Apple TV - the 4K version.

Having set it all up ( took me about 3 hours of faffing around) the voice commands are very flaky. Success rate of about 25% on simple commmands like “turn up the volume.” No doubt it will get better over time, but for now I wouldn’t bother.......

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by blythe

"Add Accessory"  then "don't have a code"  only gives me the option the enter the code manually.

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by PBenny1066

Blythe, I honestly wouldn’t bother, not worth the b....ration. If it’s not giving you ion to add manually, then it seems the Homehub is not seeing the Muso for some reason.  If your using Apple TV as the hub, is it a 4K Apple TV ? It must always be on for Homehub to work. And on the same network as the Muso. 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by cdboy

PBenny1066 posted:

Hi Cdboy

thanks, but not sure I understand your reply. If my music is on a upnp server ( eg NAS or Unitiserve), there seems no way to control it using Siri. Likewise, no way to control a Tidal or Spotify on the Muso.  Or have I missed something ?

Hi. You are correct. Siri will access all Apple Music. But also music stored on an Apple device can be played by Siri. I was saying not just Apple Music. You can store your own tunes on your own iPhone/iPad etc. Obviously if you are using Siri you have one of these. You can also ask Siri to find radio stations and downloaded podcasts.

You have missed nothing. Siri cannot find music stored on non-Apple devices like your NAS or UnitiServe. Or a streaming service other than Apple Music.

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by whatsinanaim
dave simpson posted:

I have exactly the same issue after updating both my Qb and my Muso.  But devices running operating systems prior to Airplay capable ones, can still send Airplay audio to a single speaker as normal. Airplay 2 capable OS devices like my iphone 8 with 12.1 can no longer send any audio over airplay, not even to a single speaker. All other audio functions of the Muso and Qb work fine. 

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

That’s weird - my iPhone 8 with 12.1 sends music to my two Qbs quite happily using AirPlay 2. 

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by pjlarge

Is it possible to revert the firmware to a previous version if one has the firmware file on a laptop?