dBpoweramp ripping weirdness

Posted by: hungryhalibut on 20 November 2018

Until recently, when I ripped a CD it was very quickly found and the tracks, picture etc populated. But recently, the CD is scanned and the ‘in Accuraterip’ message appears, but no metadata is populated. When I choose ‘rip’ it then says ‘retrieving metadata’ and only when that is done, which can take several minutes, does the metadata appear and the rip starts. I haven’t changed any setting and I am wondering why the ripping behaviour has changed, and whether others are experiencing this. 

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Guinnless

I ripped three CDs yesterday afternoon with dBPoweramp. No issue at all.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Dungassin
hungryhalibut posted:

Until recently, when I ripped a CD it was very quickly found and the tracks, picture etc populated. But recently, the CD is scanned and the ‘in Accuraterip’ message appears, but no metadata is populated. When I choose ‘rip’ it then says ‘retrieving metadata’ and only when that is done, which can take several minutes, does the metadata appear and the rip starts. I haven’t changed any setting and I am wondering why the ripping behaviour has changed, and whether others are experiencing this. 

I noticed this a few weeks ago.  (before the Mojave update), I hadn't changed any antivirus settings or any settings in dBpoweramp, but I no longer see any metadata although accurate rip still reports correct.  Don't know what the f**k is going on, but I'm getting REALLY fed up with having to enter all the disc details manually.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by HardBop

Co-incidentally I too have had a similar experience to HH recently which I hadn’t really noticed before, although I’m not ripping as many cd’s these days. Strange?

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Nick Lees

Over the last few months I’ve noticed a considerable delay in the program getting the metadata. It eventually gets there while I entertain myself by adding the CD to Music Collector, making tea, playing Civ 6. Et al.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by hungryhalibut
Dungassin posted:
hungryhalibut posted:

I noticed this a few weeks ago.  (before the Mojave update), I hadn't changed any antivirus settings or any settings in dBpoweramp, but I no longer see any metadata although accurate rip still reports correct.  Don't know what the f**k is going on, but I'm getting REALLY fed up with having to enter all the disc details manually.

I’m glad it’s not just me. Well sort of, as I don’t like others suffering as well. I’m using my old Sony laptop. If Accuraterip reports correct, you can press rip and it will find the metadata, so you don’t need to enter it. It even found the data for something that wasn’t in AccurateRip. I just don’t understand why it has to think for a few minutes when previously it just found everything. I hardly rip any albums these days, but nonetheless would like to get this sorted out. 

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by jsaudio

The only recent change I have noted with dBpoweramp is that often even brand new CDs result in multiple tracks with errors at which point I re-rip the whole CD or the individual tracks that have errors which usually solves the problem. No recent issues with metadata though.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Morton

I also have something similar, it can take a while for meta data fields to be populated so I normally hit the down arrow by Meta then Retrieve From and then choose from the list of options. I usually still have to add album art myself.

This started about the time I got a new computer so I put it down to that!

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Guinnless

I've no CDs to rip at the moment but one is in the post and may be here tomorrow. I've never had any ripping issues with either EAC or dBPoweramp - dB is much superior though.  Only ever had errors with copy protected CDs.

Hopefully Buddy Guy will be here tomorrow. In person would be great but a CD will do.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by overprint

I’m having exactly same issues as described with delays in DBpoweramp finding the metadata. Started several months ago. No PC or network changes so God knows what’s causing it. Takes around 3-4mins to populate the meta data fields currently

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Bankside

I was finding dbpoweramp very slow with metadata,  so I upgraded to the new version and it is now very fast, as it used to be. So it might be worth checking whether you have the latest version.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Hmack

I had a similar problem recently. I discovered there was an issue with DBPoweramp's metadata retrieval which was caused by one of their 6 metadata sources becoming unavailable. This was causing a sort of loop with metadata retrieval. I was advised to remove the unavailable metadata source from the list in the dropdown (beside the Metatada icon on the top left of the screen), and this immediately completely resolved the problem. Metadata retrieval is more or less instantaneous once more.

I can't remember the name of the 'faulty' metadata source, but the ones I still have listed are:

All Media Guide; GD3; MusicBrainz; freedb and TrackType.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by mrspoon

For those with R15 or earlier, AMG have switched off their servers, so you need to uncheck AMG as a metadata provider.

Thanks, you are a star. I’ll give it a go. Out of interest, should I be upgrading to a newer version? 

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Dungassin
mrspoon posted:

For those with R15 or earlier, AMG have switched off their servers, so you need to uncheck AMG as a metadata provider.

Just now removed AMG from metadata search, and voila! It's now working properly again.  Thanks.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Mike-B
mrspoon posted:

I have R16.something  (I can’t check as am away from home)  & have not seen this behaviour on my last rip about 2 weeks ago,   so assume this why no problems.    Is there anything R16 users can or need to do ?

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by audio1946

same problem ,  cant see metadata drop down , were is it please

It’s on the top left, and is called ‘Meta’. 

Posted on: 21 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

I’ve discovered that you can upgrade to R16 for £16 plus vat, for a single user licence, so I’ve done that. I’m not sure about functionality but it looks nicer and it’s good to be on the latest version. 

Posted on: 21 November 2018 by Dougie Danger

Same issues here. Hopefully can sort it out tonight.  You have to wonder why they weren’t pushing / advertising to get the extra money out of us for the upgraded version. 

Posted on: 21 November 2018 by ChrisR_EPL
Dougie Danger posted:

Same issues here. Hopefully can sort it out tonight.  You have to wonder why they weren’t pushing / advertising to get the extra money out of us for the upgraded version. 

The upgraded version isn't necessary to resolve the issue. My copy of DB... had the same issues earlier this year, a few minutes on Google showed it to be a known issue with a specific cause and an easy fix to cure it; unchecking the relevant metadata service resolved it. 

Posted on: 21 November 2018 by Guinnless

I already had R16.5 hence why I had no issue. 

Posted on: 21 November 2018 by Stephen Tate

I've had no issues with mine but just out of intertest how do you know what version is installed?

Posted on: 21 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

I got an email earlier in the year about the upgrade, but didn’t do anything about it. As said above, you don’t need R16 to resolve the problem. 

Posted on: 21 November 2018 by Stephen Tate

Ah ok, thanks Nigel. 

I've just been on mine and it says I have R16.4 installed but in the top righthand corner there is a box with 'upgrade to R16.5'. It hasn't cost me anything extra so I did. I can't see anything different, I just hope now that with 'Sod's law' being Sod's law not getting in the way, that I still continue to have trouble free ripping. Thanks for the heads up anyhow.

Posted on: 21 November 2018 by audio1946

I have db asset pre installed on a zone ripper . I view  asset etc via windows home server . looking at changes of ripping/type of file etc I can access  via home serverbut I cant find meta provider drop box to disable AMG , I HAVE META DATA issues how do it   thanks