52PS Converted to Supercap in 2008

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 23 November 2018

I have just bought an Olive Supercap which was converted from an early 90's 52PS in 2008. Unfortunately according to Naim they no longer have service information on older units on their 'new' system so I'm going to have to pick your brains.  

Firstly what is changed during this conversion as I'm trying to establish which components where new or are replaced with new during this conversion/service because at the moment I have only seen photographs from the outside  it obviously had a new Supercap backplate fitted with the later 230 volt and European CE markings but still has the original 1990 52PS serial number.s-l1600

Also Naim have doctored the box stamping Supercap over 52PS but again retaining the old 52PS serial number. s-l1600

The unit was supplied by and conversion done through Soundcraft who it seems have added their own number also. As soon as it arrives late next week I'll take some photographs of the inside.

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Richard Dane

The upgrade was a relatively simple one;

Flip over the 52PS, undo feet/securing bolts.  Carefully slide out tray.  Put 52PS tray on shelf in Service dept.  Then slide in brand new Supercap tray.  Do up feet/securing bolts.  Put 52PS serial number onto Supercap. You're done.

So, what you have is a Supercap but using the old 52PS sleeve and packaging.

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Bob the Builder

So essentially a 2008 Supercap in an Olive box that's great news Richard thanks.  I just need to establish the dates with Soundcraft now as Naim don't do that for these older units anymore apparently.

Actually looking at Soundcrafts serial number it is possibly an Olive SC from 2002 stored in the factory and installed in 2008 either way a good buy it seems.

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Guinnless

Sounds like you've had a good deal here, Bob. Enjoy.????

Thanks GUINNLESS I will.  The one I sold a couple of months back was a bit older and possibly may have been in need of service whereas this one possibly has another couple of years left before it needs one which is a bonus.

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Japtimscarlet

Can the olives be DR upgraded,?

RrcenRec sold my olive and went to DR black and noticed a significant uplift on my 252

No, Olive kit can't be DR upgraded.

Richard Dane posted:

Ahh ok ...though they might ...but guess bobs one can ..as that's a later S'cap in an olive sleeve..

I think I'm going to be very happy with my non DR SC apart from one day maybe trying a 52 I'm about where I want to be 82/SC/180 amp wise and I've tried enough to know. I will be concentrating on getting my LP12 sorted now,  I have a new motor, a five bolt top plate, new arm board and a new belt to fit so hopefully apart from maybe a Tangerine Tranquility which Ive always been curious to try I can concentrate on buying more music.

Japtimscarlet posted:
Richard Dane posted:

Ahh ok ...though they might ...but guess bobs one can ..as that's a later S'cap in an olive sleeve..

Nope, Bob's is an Olive Supercap in a 52PS (also Olive) sleeve.

Bob, 2008 sounds a bit late - Naim had stopped making Olive kit for while by then (they built it to special order for a year or two after the Classic line was introduced). 2002 is probably more like it.

Thanks for the clarification Richard ..I assumed it was a late enough serial number to be classic...just shows what assuming does.

Sorry BobTB was not suggesting you would be anything less than completely happy with your olive...they really do have a signiture of their own..

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by HiFiman

Technically I don't see why the olive power (HiCap / SCap) supplies cannot be DR'd as the electronics are practically the same. 

There's too much that would have to be changed to make it viable - AFAIK you would need new chassis, fascia and sleeve (they are all different in the later Classic look to the earlier Olive)  as well as the internal upgraded parts. 

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by HiFiman

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...ply=1566878606647262

Well I may never get to the bottom of it as Naim do not hold that type of information anymore. It is a shame because what the new owners seem to be failing to realise is that the used market for Naim goods bolsters the sales of new units. The reason the used market for Naim is so strong is that as well as producing fantastic sounding, bomb proof equipment it was possible that potential buyers could contact Naim and be given the details of each units date of manufacture and the dates of any services done and be confident that Naim would service any unit if they had the parts no matter how old.

This support and customer service as well as that fantastic sound is what made Naim Audio the company it is today but you have to wonder how long before it all goes because if the drop in customer service is anything to go by then not too long.

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Suzy Wong

Bob, goggle has plenty of images of “naked” 52PS and SCaps. Gives an idea of the synergy/evolution(?) of the two PSUs. Quite interesting.

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by jlarsson
HiFiman posted:

Technically I don't see why the olive power (HiCap / SCap) supplies cannot be DR'd as the electronics are practically the same. 

Perhaps physical constraints. Size of pcb:s, caps, transformer.

I still use my old converted 52PS with my 252. I keep it serviced and dont worry that much about DR. But you never know ... still I dont expect Naim to offer Black Friday deals on Olive-SC to SCDR upgrades anyrime soon.

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

I've recieved my convertred 52ps but have yet to set it up yet and am in the process of trading in my trusty 180 for a lovely 2001 (serviced 2010) Olive 250 to complete my amp.

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by HiFiman
jlarsson posted:
HiFiman posted:

Perhaps physical constraints. Size of pcb:s, caps, transformer.

I still use my old converted 52PS with my 252. I keep it serviced and dont worry that much about DR. But you never know ... still I dont expect Naim to offer Black Friday deals on Olive-SC to SCDR upgrades anyrime soon.

It appears the genie is out the bottle, the thread olive hicap is a DR'd unit and it's not alone as other members have come forward stating they have a DR olive unit.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

Update to this thread I've had the lid off the converted 52PS and it is a Supercap 2 I think so the sellers claim of a 2008 date of upgrade seems more believable now. Looks like it's a Supercap 2 in an Olive case sounds pretty good anyway.

IMG_3116

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Guinnless

Wow that looks clean!

IMG_3133IMG_3134

Here's the inside of my near 25 year old Hicap just show how clean and beautifully made these pieces of equipment were.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Have you tried sticking your finger in it with the power on to see if the SQ is better? Would be a cheap upgrade...

Mike Sullivan posted:

Have you tried sticking your finger in it with the power on to see if the SQ is better? Would be a cheap upgrade...

Mike could you explain the reason behind that comment please?