Weird Tidal problem.

Posted by: Mike1951 on 06 December 2018

All of a sudden, when opening Tidal throughthe NAIM app., my playlists won’t automatically play the next track when the previous one has finished. It either takes a long long time to do it, or it jumps to a completely different track (randomiser is set to the off position) or if I tap the next song, it displays the info., does nothing, then the info screen goes blank?

What the actual ....? Anybody else getting this?

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Mike1951

Tried my lists and saved albums on my Android machine... straight from the Tidal app., same thing. Nothing wrong with my WiFi.

I think Tidal are having a meltdown.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by David Hendon

Restart the streamer......

Tried it. Didn’t work...

I fear Tidal may be having a bit of a conniption.

They’re having a look for me, but it’s getting worse - just times itself out after one track...

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by seakayaker

I have had the problem when starting an album it stops after the first track a few times over the past 18 months and it was resolved by restarting my system and all worked fine after that. Not sure of the cause or why restarting fixes. Hope you find a resolution........

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Mike1951

So this morning, everything worked fine.

Coming back to it this afternoon, nothing worked. Dead as the proverbial Dodo.

I am using it via the NAIM app to play into my Hifi. After I went to my saved internet radio stations (on the NAIM app) and played from a couple of them, I tried my Tidal albums and instantly, everything worked again.

Is there some new problem between the two apps.?

... and now it’s completely dead. No reply from Tidal support to my email queries. At this rate, I might even abandon them and make do with Spotify’s 320kbps...

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Guinnless

I've just listened to a whole album on Tidal. No issues at all. 

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by alan33

Hi Mike,

I have noticed that logging out and back in to Tidal (via the Settings -> Inputs -> Tidal menu on Naim app) often resolves this “one track only” behaviour. I think it is similar to the need to re-log in on your phone Tidal app, but here we don’t get the notice to supply credentials. Maybe give it a whirl, see if it sorts you out. (Aside: the restart solution mentioned by others probably includes such a re-login to Tidal, so the advice is maybe compatible?). Best of luck

Regards alan

That seems to enable the following track to play when the previous has finished, but trying to jump to a different track will display the new information and the ‘pause’ symbol but the track itself will not play.

I’ve got to the point of going over to Spotify, so just to start a Spotify 320 /Tidal FLAC comparison, I loaded the Spotify app on to myiPad and also enabled it in the NAIM app.

When I tap the NAIM Spotify logo, I get my Tidal content. If I disable the Tidal function and then tap the Spotify symbol, nothing happens.

Is this because I’m trying to use the free Spotify version?

AFAIK only Spotify Premium works on Naim streamers.

If you install Bubble App on your Control Pad you can eliminate issues with the Naim App.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by seakayaker

Mike, I run the Naim App from an iPad and I notice you mention using an android machine. There have been a few threads in the past mentioning problems when using an android device. Have you called Naim support?  

“AFAIK only Spotify Premium works on Naim streamers.”

Aha. Cheers.

I’m using an iPad. Tidal responded... “ we’re looking at it, calm down”, basically... ????

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Mike1951

I’ve just noticed that now when I open the NAIM app., I no longer get the Preset radio list immediately changing to the ‘Preset’ heading plus all the Tidal subsection headings with a column of all my Tidal albums.

Now, it just stays with the ‘Preset’ heading and list of stations. 

I would have put this under a separate heading, but it does seem that something peculiar is going on with the NAIM app/Tidal interface.

The question, in the absence of any announcements, is: what?

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Guinnless

Working OK for me. I'd it worth reinstalling the Naim App?

So, I tried using the Tidal app direct. Surprise surprise. It worked perfectly.

I then deleted and reloaded the NAIM app. When I opened it, I found the second display described above (‘Preset’ plus all the Tidal subheadings and a list of my Tidal account albums) had returned!

Tried using it with the same result. Would not play if I requested another track from the same album whilst playing one already. Displayed the info for the second track only, and then blanked out to ‘No Track Playing’.

What the hell is happening with the NAIM app?

Time to talk to NAIM support, methinks.

Please see new thread “NAIM app broken.”

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by alan33

Mike -

Your situation seems to be quite frustrating and has been going for some time now... argh.

On occasion I’ve also seen the “slow to populate” initial behaviour on the app screen, where all four main headings (Albums, Tracks, Radio, Playlists) are not present for some noticeable period of time. I don’t recall the last incident exactly, but it usually lasts a few seconds or gets resolved in the background while I select something to play.

That said, I have noticed that it is sometimes Albums but sometimes Radio which is missing. The protocol seems to be that the app asks the unit for a list of items, then displays it on the screen; delays in populating the list are likely caused by the app (iPad) to firmware (Uniti in my case) communication socket. For the Tidal favourite Albums, I guess they could be requested by the firmware in response to the app request... I don’t think they are necessarily stored locally, since new favourites selected elsewhere (eg in native Tidal app or via Roon) show up immediately next time you are in the Naim app (and vice versa of course).

Ages ago, I had bad comms and connectivity on a Qute: eithernet, wifi, didn’t matter. Obviously a totally different situation to yours, but a complete reinstall of the firmware and factory reset helped. Sure, you’ll lose your programmed favourite iRadio stations, any locally created playlists, and the custom names and settings for your inputs... but it might be worthwhile to give it a try as that is the best way to clear all internal caches and restore the unit to a completely known state. If your local collection (on your NAS or other upnp server) is large, you could try clearing the cache to flush memory.

Also, and I’m totally guessing here, is there any chance you’ve seen a slow down in app-to-unit connection? Do your rooms repopulate quickly if you pull down from the top of your screen to force the “find rooms now” function? Switching between wifi and Ethernet might show differences, just for test purposes? 

In my experience, although other network functions can execute flawlessly, the Naim gear can be more prone to errors and odd behaviour that turn out to be connection related... even when that doesn’t really seem to make sense (and everything “just works” on other devices or native apps). 

Not too helpful and no guarantees I know, but maybe a lift knowing other folks are wishing you well as you work through this one!

Regards alan 

Factory reset sorted it.

Goodness knows what caused the fault, but at least if it happens again, I can fix it...  ????

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Mike1951

Well, my other thread got pulled so I’ll just continue moaning on this one.

Day four. The nightmare continues. Did a fill factory reset yesterday and it was OK for a while but soon collapsed back into the nonsense ballsup of freezing and uselessness again.

Dreadfully dreadfully dispiriting. And apparently my request for help from ‘Support’ will be attended to ‘within seven days’...

Just started to wonder if there’s an alternative ‘non-NAIM’ streamer I could consider...

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by alan33

Hmm... sad and difficult news Mike.

If you have a computer you can leave on in your network, Roon is a nice thing to try: seems a complete bypass for the comms with the device as well as the control app. I forget which streamer you have, so I guess it’s unlikely you’re running a native endpoint (new platform only, not 272) but you could try it using optical out from your (Roon core running) Mac mini or whatever, or add an inexpensive non-Naim streamer such as the Allo DigiOne which is both a Roon endpoint and a regular UPnP streamer with all the usual suspects for interface and control (since you are considering such a path anyway).

I wonder if, as well as the factory reset, you have tried a fresh install of the firmware itself? Or, if you are really frustrated, if you would consider making a request to join the Naim beta test team ... the discussion on deeper technical issues is more detailed in that private forum. If you move to the latest beta firmware and have a non-standard problem, the software developers are really interested to understand your corner case, and it’s a very useful two-way interaction.

Regards alan

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by David Hendon

From Mike’s profile it’s an ND5 XS.  

Bearing in mind that the forum isn’t alive with people having problems like this with the legacy streamers, my bet is that this is a network problem and not a streamer or app issue at all. I know that isn’t very helpful but I bet that is also what Naim support say when they get round to replying.

best

David

Hopefully they’ll be able to say what sort of network problem and know how to fixit.

It’s completely borked. Another factory reset. Switch the router off and on. Change to a different preamp input.

Nothing works. ????????????????????????????