Journey to either NDX/282/HiCapDR/250.2 or the 272/250.2

Posted by: scubafink on 14 December 2018

Hi all,

I've been reading through all the postings and need some advice.

I began my Naim journey with the UnitiQute v1 and pair of Sonus Faber Concerto speakers.  That grew into a NAC172XS/NAP155XS with the same Sonus Faber Concerto speakers that then became the NAC172XS/NAP250.2/Sonus Faber Domus Concerto floor standing speakers.

Today I'm at the crossroads of the next jump;

Option 1 - NDX/NAC282/HiCapDR/NAP250.2/Sonus Faber Domus Concerto floor standers (pre-owned NDX and NAC282) More expensive option

Option 2 - N-272/NAP250.2/Sonus Faber Domus Concerto floor standers (new N-272) Less Expensive option

My end goal is to have the best sounding system between these two choices and end my journey.....

Thanks for any advice.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by seakayaker

FWIW - If I had the choice of the two I would go with Option 1. I like the idea of the source and pre being separate.

I don't think you can go wrong with either option and I know I would be happy with either one of the systems.

Money is always a concern and would influence my decision and the opportunity to upgrade at a future date is always an option. I appreciate the idea of end goal to find an end to the journey but sometimes the itch just needs to be scratched.

Good luck with your decision.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by scubafink

Wondering whether the amp section of the 272 and the 282 are comparable?

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by cdboy

Hi. Yes they are comparable. The 282 is better. You will always get what you pay for with Naim. The question is which option does your wallet and location (meaning rack) prefer? And can you justify the improvement/investment to yourself?

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by analogmusic

I heard both 272 and 282 in my home, there was 3 of us, all preferred the amp section of the 282.

if you want an end to your journey both might do, but I would pick option 1 as NDX as a dedicated streamer and 282 as a dedicated preamp will outperform the 272, (and by quite a big margin)

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by feeling_zen

If you can afford option 1 and you intend on putting either option on a rack, then ootion 1 is simple. It should sound better. It does give far more upgrade options. And the floor space for a rack with 2 shelves or 4 is the same. 

Option 1 (with different speakers) is where I got back into music in 2014. I've tweaked a few bits but the core of that system still exists and could easily be my end game system. If I had more money, space , and time I might go to something further up the range, but I'd be happy to stay here buying music too.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Don’t forget that you will need a decent rack to get the best performance, so you should budget for that too. 

If you want a simpler system with fewer boxes and cables, the 272 is a good option, and you can upgrade it with a PSU, but if your priority is sound quality, my choice would be option 1.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by GraemeH

If you can stretch to it you might want to hear what a 250DR does in place of the 250.2.

FWIW I had NDX 282 250.2 but find the 272 250DR more satisfying...with or without XPSDR.

G

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Rich 1

You'll get advice here and some on the face of it will be conflicting. With the money you're spending, even 2nd hand, you really need a home demo of both systems. If that proves impossible I would stay away from the purchase for now. Spend on a whim and you'll regret that sin. I have a 272 / 250DR and love it. Would I prefer a 282? Maybe, but our household budget precludes that option for the foreseeable future! Rich 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by antony d

I would say the 272/PSU/250 is one of the best 3 black boxes in a system

In saying that the 282 with bet the 272 on detail - if your souce is good enough, if you are only going to stream it would be a close call but for me the 282 comes into it's own with UpNP and high res sources

yes it's a more expense option but you but some good 282/NDX on the SH market - my dealer has both on this web page

my system is NDX/282/HCDR/300DR and I am in no rush to change, I don't stream only use NDX for IRADIO and UpNP, my main source is vinyl - another reason for me choosing the 282

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by scubafink

Thanks Anthony - who is your dealer?

Has anyone tried Focal Aria 936 or 948 floorstanders with this kit? My Naim dealer stocks Focal. 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by boom

No but the Sopra2’s are sublime. You might be able to find a pair on the SH market for a good price.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by MDS
scubafink posted:

Has anyone tried Focal Aria 936 or 948 floorstanders with this kit? My Naim dealer stocks Focal. 

I'm a Focal fan and think they work very well with Naim.  The two Aria models you mention will work well with a 250.2.  I used 816SWe and Electra 1028be with my 250.2 and was pleased with both.  The Electra range is still available.  Boom mentions Sopra 2s.  They are fabulous but in my experience really need a 300.  In between the Electra and Sopra range, there is the new Kanta.  I've heard the Kanta 2 and was impressed.  Of course your budget will determine which range you can consider.  Your dealer should be able to demo some.       

I saw, but did not hear the Kanta N2. They look terrific. I’ll go demo them. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by antony d
scubafink posted:

Thanks Anthony - who is your dealer?

I have always used [@mention:1566878603906177] in L'ster

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Iver van de Zand
boom posted:

No but the Sopra2’s are sublime. You might be able to find a pair on the SH market for a good price.

Hi [@mention:1566878604008485]: I run a set up close to what you are considering and also using Focal Kanta 2. The match of the Focal’s with Naim is spot on. Highly recommended. If yiu are un for the Ficals, also include Sonus Faber Olympica in your audition. They have a similar “signature”.

keep us posted on your findings! Highly interested in your conclusions

iver

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Biddler66

I was in exactly this position just over a month ago and tried both out and for my ears the 282 set up trumped the 272 and I put an order in for that. I am nowhere near as expert as most on here but I always have music playing in the house and the 282 seemed to be able to bring out everything I played through it (from my kids pop stuff to classical). Maybe I am deluding myself but when it all gets delivered in Jan I will find out for sure !

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

I’d suggest you decide on your electronics with your existing speakers, which will provide a known base. Whatever you do, I’d get the 250 upgraded to DR specification. 

As to speakers, I’ve heard Focals ranging from £300 to £30,000 and all have sounded horrible to me - great if you like ‘bass’, ‘treble’ or ‘imaging’ but not if you want to sit down and enjoy music that sounds unforced and natural. So don’t think that just because Naim and Focal are corporately joined at the hip that Naim and Focal are a sonic match made in heaven. Focal owners will say that I have a thing about them, and it’s true, but you’ll find that many Naim dealers don’t sell Focal, for a reason. You may love them of course, but do keep an open mind. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by scubafink

Thanks for the heads-up. I’m going to keep to the 250.2 for now and concentrate on the 282.HiCapDR side of things. 

Im also going to use my existing Marantz Av8892A as a source until I can save for a SH NDX. 

Just need to figure out how to connect DIN from AV8802A to DIN for NAC 282. I think they’re different. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by ChrisSU
scubafink posted:

Thanks for the heads-up. I’m going to keep to the 250.2 for now and concentrate on the 282.HiCapDR side of things. 

Im also going to use my existing Marantz Av8892A as a source until I can save for a SH NDX. 

Just need to figure out how to connect DIN from AV8802A to DIN for NAC 282. I think they’re different. 

I think your Marantz will have an RCA phono output for regular stereo, so you will need an 2 x RCA to 5 pin DIN lead.

For what it's worth, my experience of Focal speakers is very much the same as HH's above, but as always, you need to form your own impressions, so I would try to listen to a few different speakers to see what works for you.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by boom
MDS posted:
scubafink posted:

Boom mentions Sopra 2s.  They are fabulous but in my experience really need a 300.     

Interesting. The Sopras 2 is an easy speaker to drive. I certainly don’t have any issues driving mine with the 250DR in a 10 x 6.5 meter room.

I did do a demo, 250 vs 300 (admittedly in my dealers listing room) and the difference for me wasn’t that much that I wanted to sell my 250

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by MDS
boom posted:
MDS posted:
scubafink posted:

Boom mentions Sopra 2s.  They are fabulous but in my experience really need a 300.     

Interesting. The Sopras 2 is an easy speaker to drive. I certainly don’t have any issues driving mine with the 250DR in a 10 x 6.5 meter room.

I did do a demo, 250 vs 300 (admittedly in my dealers listing room) and the difference for me wasn’t that much that I wanted to sell my 250

Hi Boom.  They are indeed efficient and easy to drive.  I've heard the Sopra 2s several times now, both at my dealer's and at home.  They do indeed sound good with a 250, so not criticising your set-up, and I know that Naim/Focal has recently marketed the Sopra 2 and 250DR as a pairing.  But for me the swop from a 250 to 300 was very significant, especially at the bottom end.  My dealer too thinks the Sopra 2 really needs a 300 to properly reveal their potential.   So maybe, one day, give it a longer try. Meanwhile enjoy.   

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by oferr

After reeding about everything, and changing gear 3 times, I actually ended  with ndx + ndac on 282 + 2 hcdr and 250 and the result is very good. Recommend very much.  

Like G said... 250dr

you can dr it...