Cdx2

Posted by: TOB on 16 December 2018

I have decided to up grade to a cdx2, iam going to pass on getting a streamer because the natural up grade from my Cd5xs would a cdx2, however the cdx2 has been discontinued, any advice what to look out for when purchasing a used one, it will partner my SN2-Hicap Xps, and Hugo 2. Regards.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Stefan Vogt

You'll need a CDX2 with digital output - I think from 2009 they got that. Good choice!

S

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Adam Zielinski

It’s called NDX or NDX2.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Hi, if you like the CDX2, and I love mine, go for the earlier version with no digital out and the early transport.. to my ears it sounds better.. but do get good support for your CDX2.. I think it really sings on full fat Fraim.

The Pacific Microsonics DSP chipset and the PCM1704K DAC implementation and analogue stage is what really gives the CDX2 it’s character and sonic capabilities.. if you were to bypass that with using the the SPDIF out.. you might as well use a cheaper CD transport...

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Aric

Nothing wrong with an older CDX2; however, if you want flexibility and greater longevity I’d go after a CDX2.2, which was released in 2009 and discontinued earlier this year - a real shame. 

I bought a late 2016 vintage earlier this year which was hardly used, in mint condition, and at around 60% of MSRP. 

As I understand it, there are no more VAMs for the previous CDX2, but Naim supposedly will be able to service the X2.2 with new mechs for sometime to come. 

Relative to the nuisance of dealing with streaming, I love the simplicity of buying cheap CDs and playing the X2.2 - it lays bare the verve of music better than most. 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by leni v

My vote is for  a bare cdx 2.2.Superb player.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Japtimscarlet
Adam Zielinski posted:

It’s called NDX or NDX2.

This is by far the better route in today's market .imo.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by mattl
Japtimscarlet posted:
Adam Zielinski posted:

It’s called NDX or NDX2.

NDX sound quality is not on a par with CDX2 in my opinion, and used CDX2 should cost much less than a used NDX.

Haven't heard NDX2 yet though.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by antony d
mattl posted:
Japtimscarlet posted:
Adam Zielinski posted:

It’s called NDX or NDX2.

NDX sound quality is not on a par with CDX2 in my opinion, and used CDX2 should cost much less than a used NDX.

Haven't heard NDX2 yet though.

Sorry Matti from my point of view I moved from CDX2/XPS to a bare NDX and the detail, focus and music comes through for me, even at 16/44 - get higher res files and the difference is much bigger having been to all the demo's recently on NDX2/ND 555 the NDX is still a great machine as is the 272

but agree a used CDX2 will be less ££££

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Mike-B
mattl posted:

Disagree on that one & I've had both, & both with & without XPS.   I wouldn't say CDX2 is better or worse,  but would say its different.   CDX2 sound is different to other Naim CDP's & compared to NDX its more forward & its presentation is more suited to rock,  an XPS makes it even more so.   The NDX carries more detail, texture & tonality & overall is more refined, to me it covers most all genre better.  Both 24-bit PCM & DSD replay give more of everything.     An XPS doesn't make such a great difference on NDX as it does on CDX2,  that said its still a nice improvement.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by MDS
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Hi, if you like the CDX2, and I love mine, go for the earlier version with no digital out and the early transport.. to my ears it sounds better.. but do get good support for your CDX2.. I think it really sings on full fat Fraim.

The Pacific Microsonics DSP chipset and the PCM1704K DAC implementation and analogue stage is what really gives the CDX2 it’s character and sonic capabilities.. if you were to bypass that with using the the SPDIF out.. you might as well use a cheaper CD transport...

I'm a CDX2 fan, too, but I'm not sure I would agree your final observation, Simon.  I've tried a few CD players as a digital transport and have found a big variety in quality. I had a huge Accuphase DP-80L CD transport which I used into a nDAC. I even had the Accuphase's internal clock and its PSU upgraded by Trichord. I thought it couldn't be bettered as a CD transport. Then I tried a CDX2 and was very surprised at how much better the CDX2 was. In terms of performance lift the CDX2 into bare nDAC out-performed my Accuphase into nDAC with XPS2.  

Now, whether someone is comfortable with the redundancy of using the CDX2 as just a transport is a valid consideration but I haven't heard a better CD transport than the CDX2. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Jonners

I have a 12 year old CDX2 which I absolutely love, however, I am interested in getting my large CD collection into a catalogue so investing in a streamer is on my bucket list.

I recently had a listen to a ND5 XS2 and an NDX2. The former didn't really do much for me but the NDX2 was frankly mind-blowing - it was to my ears like my CDX2 on steroids. However, it's too new to find one at sensible price and I'd need to budget for a NAS on top so I'm going to wait.

As a used buy, a CDX2 represents astonishing value for money IMHO and the time to buy is now before they become a rarity. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by TOB

Thankyou for your advice, I shall endeavour to seek out a cdx2.2, of course I will eventually purchase a streamer however there’s life left in the silver discs yet, and with the legendary cdx2 i should get the best out of them. Regards.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Japtimscarlet

TOB you don't give up the silver discs when you get a decent streamer.... you play more of them and buy more ...they are so cheap now (CDs) that if you have to just rip them and then tuck them away somewhere out of sight...there is a much improved SWMBO factor and it's easy to just select and play at your leisure

Scrap the CD player idea and go straight to streaming..you will thank me for it I promise...

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by hungryhalibut
TOB posted:

Thankyou for your advice, I shall endeavour to seek out a cdx2.2, of course I will eventually purchase a streamer however there’s life left in the silver discs yet, and with the legendary cdx2 i should get the best out of them. Regards.

I’m not going to ram streamers down your throat if you don’t want one, but as you say you are planning to get one at some point I’d suggest that rather than losing cash on the sale of the CD5, you may as well pick up a used NDX, or even a new NDX2 at this point. Once everything is ripped the CD5 could then be sold. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by TOB

I don’t disagree with you on that japtimscarlet, I can see there are benefits with streaming, and I will get there, however iam a baby step type of guy, the cdx2 will be the last cdp I purchase, and a vgood pre owned one will suite me fine, if I can find one? and in time I will be able to do the same with something like a nd555+psu, yes streaming is the new kid on the block, but slide a cd in a cdx2 wth some descent partners and bingo, I’ve heard one, and it did it for me. Regards.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by gary yeowell

'I want to buy a CD player' replies 'you need a streamer'. Same old crap.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Gary, if you read my post you’ll see that I very specifically didn’t say that. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by gary yeowell
hungryhalibut posted:

Gary, if you read my post you’ll see that I very specifically didn’t say that. 

Nigel, not aimed at you. You are one of the very few who make the point though.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Jonners
TOB posted:

I don’t disagree with you on that japtimscarlet, I can see there are benefits with streaming, and I will get there, however iam a baby step type of guy, the cdx2 will be the last cdp I purchase, and a vgood pre owned one will suite me fine, if I can find one? and in time I will be able to do the same with something like a nd555+psu, yes streaming is the new kid on the block, but slide a cd in a cdx2 wth some descent partners and bingo, I’ve heard one, and it did it for me. Regards.

Ah, therein lies the problem - finding one! Naim dealers are getting these in for P/X against new streamers but not putting them up on eBay and they're selling quickly. Two dealers I know each had one last week, now both have now gone. Mightn't be a bad idea to phone some and get your name in the queue. Buying from a dealer will also mean you get a warranty which is no bad thing when you're spending this sort of money on a discontinued product. Be worth it though - cracking player!

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by rsch

It's undisputable that streaming brings a new opportunity and versatility but, nothing is so simple and straightforward than putting your silver disc into a tray. You don't need additional storage devices, cables etc. 

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Christopher_M

Tob, I think the main think is just to get a CDX2 to complement your very nice amp. I wouldn't be sweating about whether or not the CD player has digital out. Analogue out into the amp is just fine and will give you the Naim sound. You could use your dac for other duties.

When I have bought used Naim CD players I have always bought them from a dealer just for the warranty peace of mind. Never needed it though.

C.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Massimo Bertola
leni v posted:

My vote is for  a bare cdx 2.2.Superb player.

Mine too. It's what I'm using now after three or four other CDX2s of all epochs – from 2003 to the last version, albeit without digital out. This last version, without any extra PSU, is indeed a splendid, musical, balanced player.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Massimo Bertola

BTW, I'm using it with a NaitXS2 after three Supernaits, and finally CDP and S-400s sound like music and not like a hifi test.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by rsch

Not to bore all of you further, but maybe that the OP  is also a serious record collector. As i already pointed out, the pleasure to have in your hand a particular edition of records either silver or black is part of the experience totally lost with download or worse still streaming services.

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by analogmusic

Cd  players much less complicated to get right. No network, switch or Ethernet cables involved....