Spotify

Posted by: coiledmagnet on 29 December 2018

Having been given tinnitus by music I have never heard before on Spotify (which I have never used) at full volume (which I have also never used) suddenly breaking into our glorious silence at any time of the day from our Unitiqute,  we want to disable Spotify or remove it completely, presumably from the Naim app.  Alternatively, if that is not possible, I believe we can disable or secure Bluetooth, which we also don’t need.  We tried securing Bluetooth but that didn’t work.

We suspect that it was caused inadvertently by our grandson linking his new wireless headphones to his IPad on Christmas Day next to our equipment but he is now 35 miles away, oddly enough in Salisbury in their house from which they can see the Naim factory.  I told them to lob a few fireworks at it but there is nobody there until next week.

i am reluctant to drive over there to confiscate the Ipad so please can anybody help before my PMC speakers are damaged, although they probably are already.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by garyi

Sounds like he has linked his spotify account to your atoms, I think you have to ask him to remove it perhaps.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Sloop John B

indeed it is a strange "feature" of Spotify connect that once connected a devise can stay connected remotely. We awoke the other day to "coming home for Christmas" playing on our bluesound pulse soundbar, a communication from our daughter in case we forgot to collect here at the airport.

Your grandson needs to select devices available on the spotify app and select the dots and "forget device".

it does seem rather strange that one cannot stop this from our end but it certainly is not a Naim only issue.

.sjb

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by J Saville

You can disable the Spotify input.

Naim App > Settings cog > Input settings > Spotify

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by ChrisSU

As SJB says, the solution is to get the offending Spotify app to ‘forget’ your streamer. Disabling at the Naim end doesn’t stop it. 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by TK421

My wife has just informed me that the Sonos Play 1 in my daughters bedroom started playing in the early hours of this morning.

At the time my daughter was several miles away partying. This never happened with Tidal!

How am I going to prevent this from happening as she still lives with us?

My wife would be very grateful for your suggestions, I'm not so bothered as it didn't wake me up.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

And for prophylaxis, either never let anyone link, or ensure they unlink before leaving your home.

TK421 posted:

My wife has just informed me that the Sonos Play 1 in my daughters bedroom started playing in the early hours of this morning.

At the time my daughter was several miles away partying. This never happened with Tidal!

How am I going to prevent this from happening as she still lives with us?

My wife would be very grateful for your suggestions, I'm not so bothered as it didn't wake me up.

As discussed above, you need to get your daughter to make the Spotify app ‘forget’ your device, or at least to be careful to ensure that she has not inadvertently selected it. Easier said than done while partying, perhaps! Either that, or persuade her to switch to Tidal/Deezer/Apple Music or whatever. Or just power off your Sonos when you’re not using it. 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by coiledmagnet

Thanks to all of you for your replies and advice.  The problem will be resolved by my family in Salisbury.

it does slightly bother me that anyone, including my dear family, would seem to be able to interfere with my system, even when it is in sleep mode and it bothers me more to read the comment by CHRISSU that disabling at the Naim end doesn’t stop it.  I had certainly discovered that securing the Bluetooth on the Naim app didn’t stop it.

I know that I am a bit antediluvian in my knowledge and a bit of a Luddite in my attitude compared with most members of the Naim forum but it does seem to me that old guys like me should be able to buy top quality Hi-Fi which can be programmed to major on streaming, playing CDs, LPs and the radio and not be affected by other types of internet interference.  I suppose it is the addition of the streamer and the app which potentially cause the problems.  Without them I suppose I could do everything else in a simple, straightforward and traditional way.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

There is nothing particularly special seemingly about Spotify Connect, and unlike some seem to suggest there is no way I can see for an external network client to control a player... it all needs to be on the same subnet. However the player does appear to store the user authentication inherited from another client on the network and then the player uses this to connect to Spotify. Now there are some basic Spotify Connect commands like play, pause, etc.. and so if the player wasn’t logged out I can see the possibility that some other device, probably errant device on the home network could start or instruct the Spotify player to continue again using its cached credentials.

So to me the only real solution until you can pin point the errant device is to clear the playlist from the client whilst connected to the Spotify player when finished, or log out of Spotify client whilst connect to the Spotify player... obviously the brute force effect is to switch off.

I find the same thing can happen with UPnP using push clients and Naim streamers... if a push client activates for whatever reason and sends to a Naim streamer.. the Streamer will ‘wake up’ and start playing.. and if automation is setup.. will switchinputs on the NAC to play out. Normally this is a great feature, but if you have an errant client device can be a pain.. the answer hit mute or turn value down when not in use or fix errant device.

I have just realised that it had nothing to do with the streamer or any of my othe Naim equipment.  The possession of nothing but a Unitiqute and speakers would enable this problem to occur.  That being so, I really think that Naim should install some kind of firewall on their equipment which would allow the owner to ensure that nothing from outside could interfere with the system. (Luddite revelation there!)

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by perttu

Spotify Connect brings some (not) so wanted features to the table. Nothing to do with Naim in this case. 

Thank you, Simon.  Unless I misunderstood you, I don’t think I should have to rely on another person not to carry out an action which affects my system without my knowledge or consent, with that occurring even when the system is asleep.

Of course, my dear grandson didn’t even know he was doing it which, in a way, makes it worse.

I think What I am pleading for is the ability to prevent my system from being affected by other people in any way and at any time.  Perhaps a default setting which does that and requires the owner to switch on Bluetooth before it can be used at all.  Folk who want to use it should surely not mind switching it to unblock Bluetooth.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

All you need to do, as J Saville explained above, is to turn off the Spotify input on your UnitiQute. Five seconds work, and no need to involve your grandson in any way. While you are at it, you can turn off all unused inputs, which makes the app much tidier and may improve sound quality. 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Popeye
hungryhalibut posted:

All you need to do, as J Saville explained above, is to turn off the Spotify input on your UnitiQute. Five seconds work, and no need to involve your grandson in any way. While you are at it, you can turn off all unused inputs, which makes the app much tidier and may improve sound quality. 

????????????????????

Our comments crossed, Simon, but I would extend my plea from Bluetooth to include any operation which could affect my system.  The original problem occurred when my grandson was in my house and I had allowed him to access my wi-fi router to use his iPad.  I had no idea that this could happen.  I do now!

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

There is nothing particularly special seemingly about Spotify Connect, and unlike some seem to suggest there is no way I can see for an external network client to control a player... it all needs to be on the same subnet.

Nevertheless, it’s a long-standing and widely reported issue that once someone has used Spotify Connect from their own account/iPhone, they can, at a later date, inadvertently initiate play on your system, regardless of their location. I’m not aware of anyone experiencing the same issue with anything other than Spotify. 

Yeah exactly.. it appears if the session is not cleared in the player it can be started up again by something on your home network (doesn’t need to be associated with a users iPhone, smartphone or whatever, so their location is irrelevant)... the credentials of the original user are effectively cached in the player in the home network.

Yes I have experienced the errant play  also with Qobuz and Naim UPnP, the first time it gave me quite a start ... If you look on the wire  you can see it’s not  hard.. the first time it did this it gave me quite a start as we were asleep at the time..  as I have automation setup...

Thank you J SAVILLE. and HUNGRYHALIBUT.  I have checked and the Spotify input reads as ‘off’ and that is how it has always been as far as I am aware.  There are a couple of replies above which would suggest that disabling Spotify would not rectify the problem which can only be done from the othe subscriber’s Spotify account.  That would seem to be the case here and it must have linked with the Spotify input switched off.

I remain surprised and unhappy about my apparent inability to isolate my system.  One of my PMC speakers has developed a rattle which doesn’t surprise me, having experienced and observed the movement of the cone during the event occurring at full volume displayed on the Naim app which I was then unable to control.  It is still under guarantee but I wouldn’t blame my dealer orPMC if they say (as they wil) that I have mistreated it.

C’est la vie.  A learning experience but, despite all the learned advice, I am not confident that I have a solution.  I shall see what Naim Customer Support say next year when they reopen, which reminds me, Happy New Year to all and I have appreciated and admired all the knowledge displayed in 2018.

Disabling Spotify absolutely will work.... I suggest to ensure disabling log out of the account to clear the authentication cache whilst Spotify connected to the player/speaker...

If you are family user is on another network you will then be completely isolated and safe from a rogue app inDvertedly causing your Spotify Connect app to play from your cache family user’s account.

We do that here in SinS towers, and since we have not had one issue in 4 years. And as I say not particularly specific to Spotify.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

That is interesting, as I thought turning off the input would deal with it. Naim are in a bind here, as the issue you face, and I have had before, is that Spotify set the standards and if Naim want Spotify Connect on their boxes then they must accept this ‘useful feature’. In the meantime you can ask your grandson to forget your Qute in his Spotify app on the phone. 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by SimonPeterArnold

You can turn this feature off but only in the users Spotify app settings. You can change it to only shows devices on you're local network. Then it won't see anything in other peoples homes that might have been used.

Indeed, in the client there is the option to show your previously  connected devices, either local or on the internet ... the host client will need to delete your device that could be now remote... failing that, simply log out and set a new Spotify password...

If it is this that is happening, and reading the posts again I suspect it is, this is different from my errant play comment above...

With Spotify, only allow people to connect your Connect players that you fully trust and you can rely them on deleting the association.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by perttu

You can prevent the speaker damage by setting max volume lower f. eg.60% in the Naim app.

Thank you PERTTU.  I didn’t know that or  would have done it previously.  It will be the next thing I shall do.  60% also seems about right.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by engjoo

That sounds crazy. I do use Spotify at times remotely on my mobile phone and at time, I did see that it would play on my Naim streamer which was the last device being played. I I comforted by the fact that, I often have my mechanical volume pot of the amp set to zero after each use or the power amp would be powered down when I am away from home for extended duration.

This is one reason why I am not comfortable having an “all in one” player.