The Perils of Vinyl

Posted by: Guinnless on 01 January 2019

After having some quite bad static issues on some of my new LPs I decided to get my trusty old Discostat out and 'clean' them. 

I used the kitchen as the workshop (as I'm sure others do) and ended up with a nice rack full of static free records

As they weren't quite dry and I wanted to make my tea I decided to move the rack to the conservatory where they could finish off drying, sadly this didn't go to plan and as one record slid back I tried to correct the rack and some then slid forward onto carpeted floor.  <!$%$£!!"%%> says. I ! 
Damage occurred where one LP hit another, the ones straight onto carpet were fine after a wipe.
Applewood Road is now trashed. Eric Bibb Blues, Ballads and Work Songs now has a scuff and a light click with every rotation on one track, I could live with it but don't intend to.
I've bought replacements Applewood Road and Erib Bibb.  The best deal for Eric Bibb being from Eric's own website and I get it autographed too.  I managed to make an order error so I replied back and got a response in 30 minutes from Eric's wife Ulrika 

Anyway, split milk and all that. 

Still I had a nice drive out to Kirkby Lonsdale today, a bit damp on the roads so got out-accelerated by a Yamaha T-Max scooter from the lights .  But the sun was out so all was well.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Richard Dane

That's quite a day you've had Steve. Sorry about the mishap - You sound quite philosophical about the damaged LPs. Good thing they're replaceable.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Guinnless

Thanks Richard.  Things may not be as bad as I thought despite the pic of the below damage to "Applewood Road"

A while back I bought a USB record player for testing any suspect s/h vinyl rather than damaging my Dynavector. So I thought let's give it a go and it played fine!

Just now tried it on the LP12 and it's OK. If you hadn't seen the damage you would not be aware.   Phew!

I'm going to give it a spin in the Discostat again to remove the bits an make sure it's clean again.  

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Loki

Ouch! Yes the Discostat drying rack  is best left on the table until all is dry. My favourite mishap is knocking the stylus across the surface, or dropping and half grabbing said vinyl during a clumsy, often static charged extraction from the inner sleeve!

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Richard Dane
Loki posted:

...or dropping and half grabbing said vinyl during a clumsy, often static charged extraction from the inner sleeve!

Ah yes, a situation I have experienced more than once! Worst potential scenario is when the static manages to half drag the felt mat from the spinning platter.  I've managed to do that a few times (usually thanks to new, highly static charged vinyl) and on at least one occasion it was a miracle that the mat didn't take out the stylus. 

Anyway, Steve, pleased to hear that the vinyl damage is only superficial.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Guinnless

I'm thinking of getting a Milty Zerostat to remove static, I've seen mixed reviews though.  It's the half-drag than can cause the damage although I have been lucky so far!
I do use Nagaoka inner sleeves and once the static has gone it stays gone.

Some LPs have little static from new and others I've had difficulty removing them from the inner sleeve! 

I have found that the best way to remove static - particularly from new LPs - is to give them a wash and dry on an RCM. 

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Loki
Richard Dane posted:
Ah yes, a situation I have experienced more than once! Worst potential scenario is when the static manages to half drag the felt mat from the spinning platter. 

• I know that scenario well! Fortunately the mat usually hits the Aro anti-skating rig and arm post before it has a chance to take out the XX2
Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Wiltshireman

I consider my Okki Nokki record cleaner the best thing have ever owned. I know it was not cheap but far better than a manual cleaner and any static problems gone perhaps not for good but as and when I just give an album another clean. 

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Ravenswood10

Agree on the RCM. I bought a second hand VPI 15 from a certain site. Replaced the suction head and have never looked back. New and old records have the treatment using the Clearaudio fluid and each one gets a nice new Nagaoka sleeve. Cleaning one at a time does seem to have its advantages!

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Michael
Richard Dane posted:

I have found that the best way to remove static - particularly from new LPs - is to give them a wash and dry on an RCM. 

Yes Richard that works for me too. I routinely use my Moth RCM on all new vinyl purchases and usually replace the inner sleeve with a poly paper one  while I am at it resulting in very few static issues.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Fueller

I got the Pro-Ject VCS RCM for Christmas and stunned by the difference it makes in static elimination as well as surface noise etc. I also use the poly sleeves once cleaned. Can’t believe it’s taken me this long.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

Been spinning my Oki today????

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by wenger2015
Fueller posted:

I got the Pro-Ject VCS RCM for Christmas and stunned by the difference it makes in static elimination as well as surface noise etc. I also use the poly sleeves once cleaned. Can’t believe it’s taken me this long.

I have the mk 2 version, extremely good when it works, Unfortunately mine has a tendency to blow fuses ....can’t work out why? Sounds like yours is fine 

My own VCS (Mk1.5) has been brilliant and not missed a beat. Wenger, when you say yours blows fuses, in the plug or in the unit, or on your consumer unit supplying the circuit?

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by RaceTripper
Richard Dane posted:

I give all new and S/H records a cleaning on my Okki Nokki before they are ever played. And if they exhibit any static cling coming off the RCM platter I zap them with a Milty Zerostat as they go onto the bamboo disk rack for drying.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Japtimscarlet

Feel for you man

I hate damaging vinyl while cleaning it because it just feels so unnecessary..and have to buy new replacement as soon as it happens (fortunately not that often)

I'd had my Eric Bibb LP a whole week and only played it once.  Funny one of the last tracks of Eric's I'd listened to that day was

Just Keep Goin’ On

Eric Bibb

ust keep goin' on
Just keep goin' on
Just keep goin' on
Just keep goin' on
Take every knock as a boost
And every stumbling block as a stepping stone
Lift up your head and hold your own
Just keep goin' on

So I've boosted my collection with a new LP signed by the man himself.

@racetripper: I'm still tempted by the Zerostat....

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Bob the Builder

I dropped quite a rare Jamaican press record made of very suspect vinyl after one too many and when it hit the wooden floor boards a large part just snapped off ruining tracks one and two. 

@bob: Ouch! I'll bet you was cursing. ????

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by winkyincanada
Loki posted:

Ouch! Yes the Discostat drying rack  is best left on the table until all is dry. My favourite mishap is knocking the stylus across the surface, or dropping and half grabbing said vinyl during a clumsy, often static charged extraction from the inner sleeve!

I've seen a lot of very dodgy vinyl handling over the years. The most stable way to remove a record (in my experience) is to spread fingers along the exposed edge and thumb in the middle on the label, initially on the outside of the inner-sleeve. Slide the sleeve off from between the thumb and label and then both hands can be brought to bear on the edges. The technique where you put a thumb-on-the-edge, and then have fingers creeping inside the sleeve to reach the label just makes me cringe.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Fueller
wenger2015 posted:
Fueller posted:

I got the Pro-Ject VCS 

I have the mk 2 version, extremely good when it works, Unfortunately mine has a tendency to blow fuses ....can’t work out why? Sounds like yours is fine 

Hi Wenger, mine’s also a mk2 - no blown fuses but I first used it on the same circuit as the hifi and it put the 282 into mute for protection a couple of times. changing direction on the platter seems to be the culprit more than the vacuum. Needless to say I moved it now . Otherwise great and on topic it’s operation doesn’t leave me vulnerable to mishandling records.

winkyincanada posted:
Loki posted:

I've seen a lot of very dodgy vinyl handling over the years. The most stable way to remove a record (in my experience) is to spread fingers along the exposed edge and thumb in the middle on the label, initially on the outside of the inner-sleeve. Slide the sleeve off from between the thumb and label and then both hands can be brought to bear on the edges. The technique where you put a thumb-on-the-edge, and then have fingers creeping inside the sleeve to reach the label just makes me cringe.

I'll try and adjust my poorly formed habit. This sounds much more sensible.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by RaceTripper

Vinyl is expensive and a total PITA. You have to treat it correctly and gingerly always, but the payoff is worth it. 

If you have too much to drink, switch to your digital platform.That's what it's there for. 

is the Pro-ject mk2 considered to be better vfm than the Okki Nokki then?

RaceTripper posted:

Vinyl is expensive and a total PITA. You have to treat it correctly and gingerly always, but the payoff is worth it. 

If you have too much to drink, switch to your digital platform.That's what it's there for. 

If it's a PITA, then I humbly suggest that you may wish to change your handling technique. See Winky's post above...