Core - tips for setup and file transfer

Posted by: LarsDK on 05 January 2019

hi all

i just got a core that will run with a large ssd so it can be in my rack silently and linked with wire to my nd555. 

Any tips on how to setup and esp transfer rip files from my NAS. All rips are done with my old unitiserve. NAS and Core will be on same network and for transfer i can setup to same cisco switch with wire.

later i want to use my NAS as backup to core.

thanks!

lars

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by LarsDK

Another specific question is which file format I should use... i understand i need to choose but dont have a preference 

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Bart

1. If you ripped from your old UServe to your nas, I assume that you had your "Store" on the nas, and not merely a "Share."  If you want to move that "Store" to the Core's ssd....I guess you'll have to read the manual. No idea personally.

2. You can read here on the forum the host of issues people have with the Naim .wav metadata when they try to move away from a Naim server.  If you're 100% dedicated to keeping on using a Naim server, I guess you can keep ripping to .wav (I assume you ripped with your old UServe into .wav format? ).  But I'd only rip to .flac, as that is the only way to ensure your files are useful in the future with a non-Naim server.  You can have your Core transcode the files to .wav when it serves them up to your player if you prefer.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Dustysox

Hi Bart

Is that correct the Core can transcode FLAC to WAV files?

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by ChrisSU
Dustysox posted:

Hi Bart

Apparently not, it seems that when you rip a CD, you choose WAV amp FLAC with no option to transcode at a later date. That would be a deal breaker for me. 

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Dustysox
ChrisSU posted:
Dustysox posted:

Hi Bart

Apparently not, it seems that when you rip a CD, you choose WAV amp FLAC with no option to transcode at a later date. That would be a deal breaker for me. 

Hi Chris,

Yes that’s what I thought. It maybe something available on future updates. Not sure.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Klout10

Unfortunately, the Uniti Core can't transcode FLAC to WAV like the older HDX and UnitiServe could do ...

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by yeti42

It’s been promised for a later firmware upgrade but I’m not holding my breath on that one.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Bart

Oh gee I knew the Core cannot convert wav to flac for storage . . . but it cannot transcode on the fly either?

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Klout10
Bart posted:

Oh gee I knew the Core cannot convert wav to flac for storage . . . but it cannot transcode on the fly either?

That's correct ...

Thanks Bart - yes indeed I want to move the store from the nas to the core ssd. I have ripped all in wav, my question was not clear. I meant which format should I use to format the ssd drive - mac, windows or linux? Or does it not matter. Br Lars

Great experience so far - updated to latest firmware and am now importing by using the app from NAS to Core. Its 1200 albums so takes a while. Really an apple-like experience so far, I would say...

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by LarsDK

Have you guys been able to edit metadata with core on imported wav-rips originally made on unitiserve? I dont get the metadata option when i click ... in an album

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Bouba

Lars,

I've asked the exact same question on the forum earlier, than I realized I did not read carefully the Core help section of the Naim website. Edit Metadata is allowed only on Music ripped directly through the Core. Since your previously ripped music has been imported from a NAS, it should certainly be located within the Core's download folder. So the system won't allow alter metadata for downloads

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by ChrisSU
LarsDK posted:

Have you guys been able to edit metadata with core on imported wav-rips originally made on unitiserve? I dont get the metadata option when i click ... in an album

Are the files in the downloads folder, or were they successfully put into the MQ folder, which I understand should be possible with Naim CD rips. If they are in the downloads folder, you can still edit them, but you will need to use a third party metadata editor. 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by LarsDK

Thanks both - I do not the folder structure and where the files landed. Will check when back home. If the cd rips landed in download, can I then just move to MQ? Guess would require redoing of the music database in core. 

i would exactly expect core can edit cd rips made by unitiserve. For flac purchased i can fix with 3rd party

many thanks

lars

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by ChrisSU

I wouldn’t risk moving files manually into the MQ folder. I would delete them and try the import again following the instructions for importing files from another Naim server to see if you can get them properly installed in the MQ folder. 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by David Hendon

Exactly as Chris says. You can import files from a Unitiserve using the app and they will end up in the music/MQ folder of the Core’s music store and you can edit them with the Naim app but nothing else. But if you transfer Unitiserve rips from a NAS into the Core then they may go into the downloads folder, which means you can’t edit them with the Naim app but you can edit them with anything else. I recall Phil Harris explainig that if the Core isn’t certain that it is importing Unitiserve (or other Naim server) rips, it “plays safe” and uses the downloads folder. I don’t know how the Core tests where the rips came from, but if the file structure is wrong then that is almost certainly a giveaway. So you could try replicating the US file structure in your NAS and see if that helps the Core to recognise the provenance of the rips. If you succeed then you will find the rips in the MQ folder and if you start metadata editing in the app, you will find a “legacy” tab alongside the normal custom, Rovi, MusicBrainz and Freedb tabs.

You mustn’t try to move files into the MQ folder from anywhere because you will break the file structure and end up having to reformat the disc and start again. You can copy files from the MQ folder to the downloads folder and then use the app to delete the copy in the MQ folder though, if you want to for some reason. The MQ folder is read only so it should stop you trying to do things that you shouldn’t.

Regarding editing in the Core downloads folder, you can edit in situ. So there is no need to move the file out into a PC, edit it, and put it back in the Core afterwards.

best

David

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by LarsDK

Very clear! I used a unitiserve ssd so most files were ripped directly to the NAS. I did use the app for importing the files from NAS to Core. Will check now if they are simply all in downloads folder. If that is the case, seems like there is nothing I can do about it...

i have also pinged naim as feel this should be duable as used US all along. I moved from us hdd to sdd due to drive problems.

many thanks

lars

Indeed they are all in the downloads folder..

David, which metadata edit tool is best? I am using mac. Your help is much appreciated. Br Lars

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by ChrisSU
LarsDK posted:

which metadata edit tool is best? I am using mac.

I find Metadatics very good for editing on a Mac.  Costs a few quid, but well worth it, and quite easy to use. 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by David Hendon

I don’t know the answer to that but someone else will [@mention:36201736949470193] for instance.....

Edit: Well there you go! I see he has already answered!

best

David

Many thanks Chrissu!!!

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Chag...

Related but irrespective, has any one considered the Samsung PRO SSD instead of the EVO? Would the use of the more robust and faster 2 bits per cell MLC memory of the PRO line make a difference with the 3 bits TLC for greater file access and SQ? ????

Chag -

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Gazza

For the Core hddNaim recommend a Seagate pipeline slow quiet drive......speed is not needed.