What's the Latest Thing You've Seen at the Cinema II

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 25 August 2014

As the other thread has been closed - let's start a new one!

Posted on: 15 December 2016 by Mr Underhill

Star Wars: Rogue 1

More like it. Thank goodness the reigns have been wrested from Lucas' death grip.

In terms of the themes and their presentation this is more kidult fare, by which I mean that although more serious ideas are addressed this is are not approached in an adult way; however, I think this is appropriate for a Star Wars film. This is aimed more squarely at 17 year olds, and people who can achieve that age mentally. The darker tones were approximated by Lucas in the prequels but, I believe, in a wildly erratic fashion which was poorly executed.

In this film the team, and that is what it must be called although Edwards retains the directorial credit, have taken the Star Wars mis en-scene and realised in a the richest way yet put on screen. More importantly the characters, their motivations and actions are internally consistent and presented in an efficient and engaging fashion. At no point does this film drag, and when things slow for emotional beats they are earned.

Does the movie avoid tropes and unrealistic 'moments'? Of course not. But I think only the curmudgeonly will criticise the film for this, as there are times when we in the audience need a bit of space within which to fully experience are own emotional reactions.

Highly recommended - if this is your sort of thing; I'm going back for a second look tomorrow.

M

My Star Wars Film Order:

Star Wars > Rogue 1 > Empire | The Force Awakens > Return of the Jedi >>>>>> were there any others?

Posted on: 15 December 2016 by BigH47

Star Wars: Rogue One

Mrs , Son and I went this afternoon at our local CineWorld, IMAX 3D. 

We all enjoyed it tremendously, quite breathtaking action, good story, some hooray moments and some tearful ones. New droid K-2SO is superb fast, funny and fearless. Still buzzing.

A fine job of fitting in to the SW timeline Appearances from Grand Moff Tarkin (Peter Cushing) and a period Princess Leia some clever CGI I guess, the princes was slightly more "real", R2D2 and C3PO were fine .

Can't wait to see it again, this time in 2D to get more into the story without being "diverted" by the 3D quirks, focus shifts and aberrations. 

Recommended by the Sanders family too.

So episode 6 next year and a Han Solo stand alone the year after.

Episodes IV,V, VI and Awakens are regularly watched here, the "other" 3 rarely seen. 

Posted on: 16 December 2016 by EJS

Rogue One

In Odeon on Leicester Square. This film's reason to exist is to explain the silliest plot element of ANH, and it does that in the best possible way imaginable. Lots, and lots, of fan service (including Y-Wing bombers pummeling Star Destroyers), cool lead characters, and a story that hits some true emotional notes. Perfect.

EJ

Posted on: 16 December 2016 by Mr Underhill

Glad you liked it too EJ. Just got back from taking my other half, she didn't enjoy it!

Posted on: 16 December 2016 by EJS
Mr Underhill posted:

Glad you liked it too EJ. Just got back from taking my other half, she didn't enjoy it!

Rings true - mine wouldn't recognize Yoda if she tripped over him in the street.

Posted on: 16 December 2016 by BigH47

I'm a lucky man, my other half is a SW and SciFi fan as are most of my immediate family.

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by EJS
My Star Wars Film Order:

Star Wars > Rogue 1 > Empire | The Force Awakens > Return of the Jedi >>>>>> were there any others?

Contemplating this... I like ROTJ as much as the others, but in fact have always been slightly bothered by the medal scene at the end of ANH. At the very least, the Rebellion leadership should have been there. The prequels are just dire, on the other hand, I think the Clone Wars and SW Rebels cartoon shows are more than worthy of their place in the canon. The way the show brilliantly retconned Order 66 made me dream about a feature length remake of III using the cartoon's 3d engine and Matt Lanter as Skywalker. 

EJ

Posted on: 17 December 2016 by winkyincanada
Mr Underhill posted:

Yes, I regret missing The Lobster.

Worth chasing up. A really interesting film.

Posted on: 18 December 2016 by JamieWednesday

Saw Rogue One last night. Loved it. End of.

Interesting that American reviews aren't all that great compared to UK. Wonder if it's the result of a British Director and his properly evolved sense of rightness..

Posted on: 18 December 2016 by Guy007

I just got back from an early morning showing of Rogue 1, it was enjoyable, some nods to people and names.  It's a shame they didn't put as much detail into Tarkin's voice as his visual.  Also interesting that some of the trailer clips were red herrings and not used in the film.

Posted on: 18 December 2016 by BigH47
Guy007 posted:

Also interesting that some of the trailer clips were red herrings and not used in the film.

Good for them I say.

A teaser trailer for GofT season 7 has just been released it will be interesting to see if any of the clips are real or where they actually fit.

Posted on: 20 December 2016 by Nigel 66

Took the family on Sunday. We all enjoyed it. Very good film.

Posted on: 20 December 2016 by BigH47

Just seen R1 again, in 2 D this time. Just as good second time.

We did the same for Force Awakens and you can concentrate on the acting and dialogue much better without the distractions of the 3D effects. Once you have seen the 3D version  you can kind of fill it in for yourself in the 2D film. Not sure if we will go again, but will wait for the Blu-ray and Sky+  versions.

Posted on: 20 December 2016 by Mr Underhill
EJS posted:
My Star Wars Film Order:

Contemplating this... I like ROTJ as much as the others, but in fact have always been slightly bothered by the medal scene at the end of ANH. At the very least, the Rebellion leadership should have been there. The prequels are just dire, on the other hand, I think the Clone Wars and SW Rebels cartoon shows are more than worthy of their place in the canon. The way the show brilliantly retconned Order 66 made me dream about a feature length remake of III using the cartoon's 3d engine and Matt Lanter as Skywalker. 

EJ

Yes, I agree.

I think the irritations in ANH (original - NOT SE) are far less egregious than the other two of the original films; which have too much schmaltz & product placement for me.

M

Posted on: 23 December 2016 by JamieWednesday

Carrie Fisher has had a heart attack on the plane home to L.A. Not looking good apparently.

Posted on: 24 December 2016 by Kevin-W

Saw this recently. Mrs K and I had different reasons for seeing this of course () but not even the two hugely charismatic, talented and - let's face it - gorgeous leads, could save this semi-stinker. Although the period feel is handled well, and the art direction and costumes are superb, Zemeckis' direction is leaden and the plot full of holes.

A wasted opportunity - a movie that could have been improved with a better, tighter script, and more time spent iun the editing suite.

Warning: gratuitous pictures of very good-looking French actress follow...

Posted on: 31 December 2016 by Mr Underhill

Passengers

A film in three very definite acts. I thoroughly enjoyed Acts 1 & II, and was disappointed in Act III.

This is a slow paced film, and none the worse for that. The issue for me was in the resolution, I think this deserved something far more complex. I found the simplicity of the denouement simply unsatisfying, and childish.

Still glad I saw this on the big screen. Not a film I will add to my collection.

M

Posted on: 01 January 2017 by rackkit

Rogue One and it was brilliant. as  Could even be the best of the lot so far.

Posted on: 01 January 2017 by rackkit
JamieWednesday posted:

Carrie Fisher has had a heart attack on the plane home to L.A. Not looking good apparently.

That was the night we went to see Rogue One. After feeling great from watching the film, that news was a big comedown. Tragic what followed. 

Posted on: 05 January 2017 by Mr Underhill
rackkit posted:

The only thing that prevents me from putting it in front of 'A New Hope' is that it is a derivative of that film.

M

Posted on: 05 January 2017 by winkyincanada
Mr Underhill posted:
rackkit posted:

The only thing that prevents me from putting it in front of 'A New Hope' is that it is a derivative of that film.

M

You're mixing it up with Episode 7 - The Force Awakens

Posted on: 05 January 2017 by u77033103172058601

"A United Kingdom"; a reminder that politicians of all hues and competency are complete and utter bastards.

Posted on: 06 January 2017 by Yetizone

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Saw this with my son earlier and its really rather good. Better than I was expecting (if a little darker for younger Star Wars fans) and Gareth Edwards the director certainly unafraid of committing to a darker story line. Better than The Force Awakens and a lot better than the prequels.

Posted on: 06 January 2017 by BigH47
Mr Underhill posted:
rackkit posted:

M

It kind of has to as it's linking to that film!

Posted on: 07 January 2017 by Mr Underhill
winkyincanada posted:
Mr Underhill posted:
rackkit posted:

M

You're mixing it up with Episode 7 - The Force Awakens

No. A New Hope is what kicked everything off. Rogue One et al are standing on the shoulders of that one film.