ND555 Impressions

Posted by: Bert Schurink on 26 July 2018

The Beast will arrive and will be installed tomorrow morning in my system. So I thought it was a good moment to open up a thread with the fist experiences, also giving others the possibility to share their first impressions with the beast.

I feeel a bit like a little child who has his birthday tomorrow. I assume that even while it will be nice weather during the weekend that I will be a spending a lot of hours with my system.

And as expected my car will not arrive before the ND555.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Richieroo

I found that the old NDS was the same ... it needed around 3 months on to sing.......the good thing about ND555 it runs at about half the temperature...........

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Clive B
Richieroo posted:

I found that the old NDS was the same ... it needed around 3 months on to sing.......the good thing about ND555 it runs at about half the temperature...........

I doubt that very much. Remember, neither Celcius nor Farenheit scales are absolute. 

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Richieroo

My old NDS ran really hot .... I had to run a small fan to cool it. The ND runs much much cooler...no fan req. I don't care what scale .... it's about half the temp according to my fingers...

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by nbpf
Richieroo posted:

My old NDS ran really hot .... I had to run a small fan to cool it. The ND runs much much cooler...no fan req. I don't care what scale .... it's about half the temp according to my fingers...

It's good that you do not care about the temperature scale and hopefully the ND555 does not care either. Half the temperature can be pretty cool on the absolute scale! Perhaps your black box is turning into a black hole and soon will suck you into the music in a way none has ever experienced so far ... Have fun!  

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Clive B
Richieroo posted:

The point that both NBPF and I were making was that since the actual temperature of either unit is likely to be in the order of, say, 300K, for one unit to be operating at half the temperature, it would need to be somewhere around 150K, which is -123 Celsius - rather cold, I'm sure you'll agree.

It would be better to say that the ND555 runs 'N' Celsius cooler than the NDS.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by musicfan51

It is great ND555 runs cooler 

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by yeti42

The pedants are revolting!

Relative to ambient would seem a reasonable assumption, though I’ve no idea of the truth of even that.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Bailyhill

Its pretty obvious to me, and I am a technical type, that Richieroo meant that the temp rise above ambient in the ND555 was about half what the temp rise above ambient was in the NDS. While the super tech types/physicists immediately jumped into the Absolute Scale, the real world does not typically use it.  Richieroo I know what you meant.  Enjoy the ND--will be doing so soooooon.  This lower temp rise should manifest itself in better long term reliability.  Perhaps, this lower temp also is the reason the ND555 takes so long to burn in.

Bailyhill

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

Digital players run hot?

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by yeti42

But in this case it’s low voltage rock n roll, even if playing AC\DC.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Bart
yeti42 posted:

But in this case it’s low voltage rock n roll, even if playing AC\DC.

Forget low voltage rock n roll; give me maximum r&b

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Richieroo

Thankyou Bailyhill .........spot on appreciated. For the record the NDS I had up until recently was a late 2011 model ....... the heat over the years had not seemed to effected it.....it was perfectly reliable. 

Back to the ND555 it just seems to be getting better and better - I am at the 5/6 week period - it has opened up more, more dynamics, superb detail retrieval and great rhythmic drive ........a staggeringly great achievement by the Naim team.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by TomSer

This morning I ordered a ND555 and... it should arrive next week !!! 

The NAC552 DR, ordered 2 weeks ago, is on his way and should be here mid January.

The Christmas time is really the period for spending sprees   

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Bob green

Nice oneTomser,you will love it!.bob.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Bailyhill

Congrats.  Where are you located?

Next week for mine.

Bailyhill

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by TomSer

[@mention:49295588228065384] : Thanks , I look forward to it 

[@mention:76328488954305491] : I'm in Switzerland, near Lausanne

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Bert Schurink
TomSer posted:

The NAC552 DR, ordered 2 weeks ago, is on his way and should be here mid January.

I doubt you will be able to drag yourself to the Christmas dinner, as you will be fully emerged in the new toys..

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by musicfan51
Bert Schurink posted:
TomSer posted:

I doubt you will be able to drag yourself to the Christmas dinner, as you will be fully emerged in the new toys..

That is a true statement ! 

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by nigelb

Blimey TomSer, that is some upgrade! Congrats.

If you can drag yourself away, it would be nice to hear about your impressions, once your brain has had time to process the uplift!

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Gazza

Tomsor , great upgrades as Nigelb has congratulated you on, really would like to hear your opinion as it beds in with use. Careful with the skiing, just stick to the music this winter ????

As good as a ND555 is straight of the box, I have just found out today how great the journey has been during the last 8 weeks or so, it’s remarkable after along burn in. With a 552 preamp it will be sublime. Enjoy.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Clive B

I'm approaching six weeks with mine. I had thought I'd avoided the roller coaster ride reported by some, but then I too had a few ups and downs. This evening, however, it is playing remarkably well. It really feels like the music has been slowed down, allowing the listener to hear the silence between the notes and sense the space between the musicians. Surely, it can't get better than this. But if it does, I certainly won't be complaining.

Try Ike Quebec's 'Blue and Sentimental', Blue Note 93184 2, RVG Remaster.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by jsaudio

I’ve had the ND and 552 6 days now and one way of describing the overall improvement is that   I really enjoyed about  25% of my music prior with the 272/555 now its easily 80%. All streaming mostly local NAS and occasional Tidal.

both units are new so just getting started.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Richieroo

Well done Tomo .......... wow you are going to be in for long run in period (between 3 & 6 months)............ when you 1st plug that lot in ... it will be a bit of a shock.........!!!! I found that i hated the hi line cable .....it was bright and very upfront..... the super lumina interconnect from ND555 to 552 made a fantastic difference..... I advise that you run with the hi line initially ..... then borrow a dealer SL cable and see what you think ........... good luck keep us posted .......... enjoy your xmas!!!

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by BPhotographer
Richieroo posted:

Well done Tomo .......... wow you are going to be in for long run in period (between 3 & 6 months)............ when you 1st plug that lot in ... it will be a bit of a shock.........!!!! I found that i hated the hi line cable .....it was bright and very upfront..... the super lumina interconnect from ND555 to 552 made a fantastic difference..... I advise that you run with the hi line initially ..... then borrow a dealer SL cable and see what you think ........... good luck keep us posted .......... enjoy your xmas!!!

I find the Chord Music much better than the SL, now with the ND555 the differences are bigger.

BP.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Rich, I’m really surprised that you find the Hiline bright and upfront. I’ve never heard one add to the sound on such a way unless it was either broken, or poorly dressed or installed.