ND555 Impressions

Posted by: Bert Schurink on 26 July 2018

The Beast will arrive and will be installed tomorrow morning in my system. So I thought it was a good moment to open up a thread with the fist experiences, also giving others the possibility to share their first impressions with the beast.

I feeel a bit like a little child who has his birthday tomorrow. I assume that even while it will be nice weather during the weekend that I will be a spending a lot of hours with my system.

And as expected my car will not arrive before the ND555.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by rjstaines

Option 1 - NO interconnect.

Option 2 - Super Lumia  at (almost) cost price.

...a bit like the NDS came with or without Burndies.  

This would have been a far more attractive offer than a Hiline.  As Nigel says, most folk would already have a superior interconnect on an NDS  (I, like musicfan5, already use a Chord Music).   Suppose I could give away the Hiline to a deserving Naim newbie... I'll fill my glass up and think about it some more  

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Nagual

My dealer was also very happy to discount the price of the HIghline upon request this morning.  The bad news is my due date has been pushed back to next Wedesnday    

I was listening to the NDS last night, thinking this might be the last time, and wow what a player it is.  Hard to believe there is better to come and the ND555 demo seems so long ago now but i know its going to blow my mind 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Bob green

Hi Nagual, l had the same thoughts about the NDS for the last few days l had it ,ie could it get much better than this?,believe me it does you will love the ND555 it’s in a different league,just give it time to shine.best wishes.bob.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Bailyhill
Nagual posted:

My dealer was also very happy to discount the price of the HIghline upon request this morning.  The bad news is my due date has been pushed back to next Wedesnday    

I was listening to the NDS last night, thinking this might be the last time, and wow what a player it is.  Hard to believe there is better to come and the ND555 demo seems so long ago now but i know its going to blow my mind 

I have been doing the same, but I have an NDX with no external PS.  Just can't imagine it any better, but I had to find out.  I was going to upgrade to NDX2, but decided to go whole hog.  Its cheaper in the long run that way.  On Tuesday I pickup my ND555/PS555 and expect a simlar experience.  I am prepared for Sound Quality Shock (SQS).

Bailyhill

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Richieroo

I originally used a second hand hi line for my NDS ....... it was not good on my 500 system and  speaker combo it was really bright in my room ............ I demo- ed a dealers SL cable ......... and I could not believe the difference.......even though I did not want to pay out again ............. I just had to ......... it was that good everything was substantively better.......  In fairness to all the comments above.......... I did not even bother trying the hi-line ........... I went straight to my SL when wiring up my ND555.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Nagual

wow thats going to be a huge change, enjoy Bailyhill!   there will be an abundance of festive music in my household this christmas.  im thinking 24/7 until its fully burnt in ha!

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Richieroo

Yup there's going to be some interesting sounds coming out'a there.........24/7...........party anyone!!!

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Pcd

Bailyhill you are in for a real treat I was using a NDX with XPS dr power supply and was going to take the NDX2 route then upgrade to a ND555 at a later date.

My dealer suggested it would be more cost effective long term to try a 555PS on my original NDX and wait a bit longer to upgrade to a ND555.

Had the 555PS on demo with the NDX a great improvement the dealer said I've got our ND555 demo unit with me if you would like to try it for a few days he then replaced the NDX with the ND555.

We played the last track that was played on the NDX again my jaw just dropped the difference was staggering the ND555 and 555PS were ordered the day the demo unit went back.

Happy listening

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Bailyhill

Thanks PCD

I better buckle my seat belts.  

Kinda like when I did a Ludicrous Launch in a Tesla X.  I did not buy, however.

Bailyhill

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Dustysox
nigelb posted:
Dustysox posted:

Am I!!!!!!

Congratulations Dusty, but you just gotta get out a bit more and smell the roses.

PS - I have just realised that you now have a ND555. Don't expect I would go out much if I had one of those.

Bert Schurink posted:
Dustysox posted:

I wanna be 3000...I wanna be 3000.

back on topic. ????

Totally missed you in most of the discussion. We want your contribution and drive it to 5000. What have been your impressions so far... ?

You are all indeed correct..suffice to say yesterday I took delivery of a rather fine pair of 808's to dem over the Christmas break.

Suffice to say  "The Beast"aka ND555 you may well feel journey end...apart from speakers!!! The ND555 certainly deserves it's Reference badge and is a joy to behold. In these rather uncertain times I so enjoy music as a tonic and a most welcome break with any genre that we call up and ND555 takes in it's stride...did i/anyone mention how marvellous and "real" piano sounds...the glorious female voice that can almost make a grown man cry...o the emotion and connection with music that Naim does so well.

Anyways I have some speakers to listen to, and I want to switch off from the news and hit "play" and relaxxxxxxx!!

I will keep posting...my ND555 arrived on the last day of June and the sun was a demon.......!! Man and machine in sync!

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Bob green

Let us know what you think of the 808s! I would like to here them against my Scalas.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Dusty, you are a bad man! ???? Enjoy Peter

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by musicfan51
Bob green posted:

Hi Nagual, l had the same thoughts about the NDS for the last few days l had it ,ie could it get much better than this?,believe me it does you will love the ND555 it’s in a different league,just give it time to shine.best wishes.bob.

Shocking how much better the ND555 is over the NDS. I thought the same thing , how can the ND555 be that much better than the NDS ?? But it is . 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Bert Schurink
musicfan51 posted:
Bob green posted:

Shocking how much better the ND555 is over the NDS. I thought the same thing , how can the ND555 be that much better than the NDS ?? But it is . 

Welcome to the club of believers..

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by TomSer
Bert Schurink posted:

I doubt you will be able to drag yourself to the Christmas dinner, as you will be fully emerged in the new toys..

Unfortunately I won’t be able to enjoy the new toy before the 25 December.

Next Friday, I’ll pick the ND555 and the Super Lumina set which finally arrived, after 5 month waiting!  (DIN-DIN , DIN-XLR and speakers).

I’ll have to leave everything packed until then.

It’ll be a big change: NAC552, ND555 and the Super Lumina “Full Loom” at once!

nigelb posted:

Blimey TomSer, that is some upgrade! Congrats.

If you can drag yourself away, it would be nice to hear about your impressions, once your brain has had time to process the uplift!

Thanks Nigel,

I hope you’re also enjoying your new toy.

I sure will give you all some feedback. But I suspect the uplift will be quite significant as everything will change: cables, NAC and the ND555. The only element which stays is the 300DR. I really look forward to it.

Gazza posted:

Tomsor , great upgrades as Nigelb has congratulated you on, really would like to hear your opinion as it beds in with use. Careful with the skiing, just stick to the music this winter ????

As good as a ND555 is straight of the box, I have just found out today how great the journey has been during the last 8 weeks or so, it’s remarkable after along burn in. With a 552 preamp it will be sublime. Enjoy.

Thanks Gazza, I’ll try to describe as much as I can (considering my relatively poor English) the change from the actual system to the new ND555/552DR/300DR/SuperLumina system.

I don’t enjoy skiing that much. It’s a nice transport during winter for gulleys approaches and such. In fact, I’m more into ice climbing. I’ll spend my 2 weeks Christmas holydays between my daughter, ice climbing and music of course!

Richieroo posted:

Well done Tomo .......... wow you are going to be in for long run in period (between 3 & 6 months)............ when you 1st plug that lot in ... it will be a bit of a shock.........!!!! I found that i hated the hi line cable .....it was bright and very upfront..... the super lumina interconnect from ND555 to 552 made a fantastic difference..... I advise that you run with the hi line initially ..... then borrow a dealer SL cable and see what you think ........... good luck keep us posted .......... enjoy your xmas!!!

Fortunately, I won’t need to borrow the cables. A few months ago I ordered the Super Lumina set (the “Full Loom”). I will then use directly the Super Lumina cables when connecting the new boxes. It’ll be a nice change!

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Gazza

Just to explain my ND555 after 2 months developed a channel fault on the DIN output on Monday evening. Visit to my wonderful dealer confirmed the fault, dealer swapped it for a new unit. The burn happens so slowly you just get used to the better and better sound and take it for granted.  So DB had his unit from our mutual dealer a week before myself, and DB is still hearing run in.

New one out of the box, sounded wonderful, but the tonality, the edge of notes is harder and a totally different beast. But very happy with our mutual dealer that most know on this forum and their back up from Naim.

Please don,t let this post put you off, these things happen, it’s the way they are sorted that matters. Try and get a new motor after 2 months from your car dealer.

best gazza

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by The Strat (Fender)
Richard Dane posted:

Rich, I’m really surprised that you find the Hiline bright and upfront. I’ve never heard one add to the sound on such a way unless it was either broken, or poorly dressed or installed.

Absolutely I always thought exactly the opposite. 

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Richieroo
TomSer posted:
Richieroo posted:

Well done Tomo .......... wow you are going to be in for long run in period (between 3 & 6 months)............ when you 1st plug that lot in ... it will be a bit of a shock.........!!!! I found that i hated the hi line cable .....it was bright and very upfront..... the super lumina interconnect from ND555 to 552 made a fantastic difference..... I advise that you run with the hi line initially ..... then borrow a dealer SL cable and see what you think ........... good luck keep us posted .......... enjoy your xmas!!!

Fortunately, I won’t need to borrow the cables. A few months ago I ordered the Super Lumina set (the “Full Loom”). I will then use directly the Super Lumina cables when connecting the new boxes. It’ll be a nice change!

Wow that's the way to do it !!!!......... that way you will run in the whole lot together....seriously I know its expensive .. but at the level you are at its needed - afterall you have made a serious and wonderful investment..... keep us posted.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Yes still some running topics every now and then. This evening a bit too much bass, yes admitted a not so balanced recording from Bandcamp...., but still....

now after a while again sounding brilliant. The bumps are scarce now. Still asking myself if I should let it run for a couple of nights too force the last bits of run in....

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by musicfan51
Bert Schurink posted:

Yes still some running topics every now and then. This evening a bit too much bass, yes admitted a not so balanced recording from Bandcamp...., but still....

now after a while again sounding brilliant. The bumps are scarce now. Still asking myself if I should let it run for a couple of nights too force the last bits of run in....

I say Yes ! I ran my straight for about 4 weeks . And afterwards it was pretty much fully burned in . Though I noted a little improvement past four weeks . But yes , I would play if it a full 72 hours straight. 

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Chag...
nigelb posted:

Blimey TomSer, that is some upgrade! Congrats.

Somebody had his students find a martingale. ????

Chag -

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by ken c
911gt3r posted:

Dusty, you are a bad man! ???? Enjoy Peter

Peter! Welcome back!!! 

enjoy/ken