ND555 Impressions

Posted by: Bert Schurink on 26 July 2018

The Beast will arrive and will be installed tomorrow morning in my system. So I thought it was a good moment to open up a thread with the fist experiences, also giving others the possibility to share their first impressions with the beast.

I feeel a bit like a little child who has his birthday tomorrow. I assume that even while it will be nice weather during the weekend that I will be a spending a lot of hours with my system.

And as expected my car will not arrive before the ND555.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Thank you Ken and also to Varyat and MDS. I think we all need to make this Forum a bit more PC and serious hence my humble return. ???? ATB Peter

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Bob green

Hi everyone,l sometimes have the bit to much bass problem as well Bert,420 hours clocked up now but still have the odd day we’re you think it sounded better yesterday,hope it gets more consistent soon,l’ve got a idea it could take guide a bit longer.regards ,bob.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Foot tapper
911gt3r posted:

Thank you Ken and also to Varyat and MDS. I think we all need to make this Forum a bit more PC and serious hence my humble return. ???? ATB Peter

Welcome back Peter!

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by BPhotographer

Almost week 2, mine is sounding better today. More open, more controlled. 

Don’t forget DB’s advice: restart your NAP500 every 2-3 months! Big difference. 

BP.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by David O'Higgins

Help!

My ND555 has stopped showing the album cover in the display, while using Roon. Using the Naim app. it is still showing. Roon continues to show the track information when the track changes, but doesn’t revert to the album cover, as it used to. Any thoughts?

David

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by David O'Higgins

I think I’ve managed to find the answer to this. Seems to depend on unusual circumstances. No need to take it further at the moment thankfully!

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Richieroo

David that sounds intriguing    ...........   I use Roon allot ............  is it anything I need worry about.........

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Jonas Olofsson

Same problem here, no cover arts when using ND555 with Melco. Annoying I have to say. 

//Jonas

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Bert Schurink
Jonas Olofsson posted:

Same problem here, no cover arts when using ND555 with Melco. Annoying I have to say. 

//Jonas

Have some issues with the app, like having to restart it on a regular base as the albums don’t pop up, or losing connection with the streamer......, and this all happens too often (daily multiple times), so quite annoying that’s still not fixed. This specific problem I luckily don’t have at all.

and funny enough the issues happen with my super expensive ND555 and not at all with my Muso....

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Pcd
Bert Schurink posted:
Jonas Olofsson posted:

//Jonas

Have some issues with the app, like having to restart it on a regular base as the albums don’t pop up, or losing connection with the streamer......, and this all happens too often (daily multiple times), so quite annoying that’s still not fixed. This specific problem I luckily don’t have at all.

and funny enough the issues happen with my super expensive ND555 and not at all with my Muso....

The only problem I have had is the screen artwork freezing but this has been sorted.

Apart from that the app has been excellent touch wood!!

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Richieroo

I have had no issues so far ... but I only use Roon via a NUCi7...........I also have not updated ND555 from delivery.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Bert Schurink
Richieroo posted:

I have had no issues so far ... but I only use Roon via a NUCi7...........I also have not updated ND555 from delivery.

I think Roonies, are not facing these issues...., I am Roonless

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Clive B
Pcd posted:

The only problem I have had is the screen artwork freezing but this has been sorted.

How was your freezing artwork fixed? It has happened to my ND555 twice in about seven weeks. The only way I know to fix it currently is to turn it off and on again, but I had read that Naim Audio was working on a firmware fix.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Bob green

Hi Clive,mine has been a bit temperamental since l’ve had it,ie last night Naim radio logo on screen but no sound,power down & reinstall Naim app again,can go onto standby for no reason.just had a email from Naim after waiting three weeks for a reply,they are looking into it.cheers ,bob.

Bob green posted:

Hi Clive,mine has been a bit temperamental since l’ve had it,ie last night Naim radio logo on screen but no sound,power down & reinstall Naim app again,can go onto standby for no reason.just had a email from Naim after waiting three weeks for a reply,they are looking into it.cheers ,bob.

That sounds rather more of an issue than just the album art freezing, which PCD said he'd resolved. Why don't you go through your dealer? They are far more likely to be able to get this sort of thing resolved in a timely fashion.

If l can cure the fault buy powering down now & again then l will put up with,it’s better than loosing it for what ever amount of weeks ( you never know how long with naim lately).l just want to know it’s not a faulty unit,l know l won’t know unless l send it back,but l’ve only just got it after a long wait,you know what it’s like?.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Pcd
Clive B posted:
Pcd posted:

How was your freezing artwork fixed? It has happened to my ND555 twice in about seven weeks. The only way I know to fix it currently is to turn it off and on again, but I had read that Naim Audio was working on a firmware fix.

Bob, Naim will undoubtedly release this update when they have sufficient positive feedback.

Moderated Post:  PCD, please ensure your posts comply with Beta forum protocol.  Thanks.

Make that three times in seven weeks - it's just happened again. I knew I should have typed my earlier post with my fingers crossed! Still, I took the opportunity to power everything off and on again, just to supercharge the NAP500 especially. 

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Pcd
Clive B posted:

Make that three times in seven weeks - it's just happened again. I knew I should have typed my earlier post with my fingers crossed! Still, I took the opportunity to power everything off and on again, just to supercharge the NAP500 especially. 

Clive, the screen freezing problem is so random on mine it could be every four or five days then not happen for three weeks rather strange.

As I said previously the Beta release seems to have cured the problem fingers crossed.

Because it's a random event, I suppose us regular users will just have to wait until a significant number of Beta tester hours have been accumulated in order to be sure the freezing issue has been properly resolved.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Jeff Anderson

The best way to know something has been fixed is to wait for a long enough period of time of nothing happening  -  an odd world we live in now, pleased l am aging quickly.

That must of took some working out !.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Bailyhill

Hello All

Yesterday was the big day.  Picked up my ND555/PSU555 and the Naim Fraims.  Drove 450 miles back without incident.  Hooked up the unit last night.  Played at low volume and went to sleep at 3:40 this am.  I am listening to Traveler/Chris Stapleton this am.  The unit right out of the box--Day 1.  It sounds really wonderful.  The sound is so full, and more refined, but more detailed.  Hard to describe.  I will be burning in all day/month/winter.  Back to the music.

Bailyhill

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Gazza

Congratulations....nice Xmas present.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Gazza

It does put things into perspective in terms of how lucky we are in the UK for Naim dealers. That’s like me having to drive from Colchester to Glasgow in Scotland. Would they not ship them to you by Courier?