What's the Latest Thing You've Seen at the Cinema II

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 25 August 2014

As the other thread has been closed - let's start a new one!

Posted on: 30 October 2017 by Dozey

The Death of Stalin. Quite amusing and quite disturbing too. Lots of laughter from the audience which I thought was quite telling - I think it was covering up some nervousness.

Posted on: 30 October 2017 by thebigfredc

Death of Stalin:

we were seduced by the trailer earlier in the year and it lived up to expectations; a skit on Soviet bureaucracy and how  people embroiled in it make the best of their lot.

Clever throughout and quite funny in parts.

Ray

Posted on: 01 November 2017 by Yetizone

Thor: Ragnarok.

My son and I ambled along to a half term showing this afternoon and quite frankly it was a hoot from start to finish. We both thoroughly enjoyed the humorous (very mischievous) tone created by Taika Waititi. In some ways this is an out and out comedy first, superhero movie second! When the credits finally rolled my son said "that was awesome and the best ever Marvel movie!". Made me smile - and was certainly worth the price of admission even if it was awful (it wasn't!). A lot better than the other two Thor movies.

Superbly camp, visually extravagant with affectionate nods to 1980’s design (and music), excitingly paced and well acted throughout - a true pleasure to see Jeff Goldblum having such fun with his role. Also, the most effective use of Led Zeppelin’s Immigrant song I’ve yet seen used in a movie. 

Highly recommended and I probably agree with the The Boy Yeti, one of the best Marvel movies to date. 

Posted on: 02 November 2017 by Eloise
thebigfredc posted:

I look forward to the day when the word 'Drone' is squeezed between CD Auto Changer and Metallic paint in the optional extras list.

You mean today ... its an optional extra on some Nissan X-Trail models.

Posted on: 05 November 2017 by Eloise

Went last night to see...

As a big Christie fan and a a big fan of David Suchet’s performace was a little trepidatious about this version, but enjoyable throughout for the most part. There are a few derivations from the source, but not really to its detriment (except perhaps the couple of unnecessary “action” scenes added).

A second to the David Suchet performance (unlike some people Branagh’s moustaches didn’t bother me though a couple of times his accent slipped) but at least equal to Albert Finney.

Posted on: 17 November 2017 by Mr Underhill

Justice League

Well, I enjoyed this - not as much as Thor, but it also does not make the mistake of undermining emotional punch with humour at the wrong time.

The film does have the weakness of most films of this genre - the denouement. But, the journey is entertaining, the characters given enough flesh and the action well executed. I do look forward to the BluRay as I suspect this has been rather pruned for theatrical release.

There are TWO post credit scenes.

M

Posted on: 27 November 2017 by Mr Underhill

Paddington 2

If you enjoyed the first then you will enjoy the 2nd; far more difficult to do then they make it seem methinks.

M

Posted on: 28 November 2017 by Christopher_M

The Battle of The Sexes

Loved it. A great, upbeat story well told (and filmed) and a love theme too.

The only downside, I would have like to have known what happened to Marilyn.

Posted on: 28 November 2017 by JamieWednesday
Mr Underhill posted:

Paddington 2

If you enjoyed the first then you will enjoy the 2nd; far more difficult to do then they make it seem methinks.

M

Never saw the first one but we saw this a couple of weeks back and all found it very funny, excellent entertainment.

Posted on: 29 November 2017 by thebigfredc

Yeah Paddington 2 is an usually good sequel - perhaps better than the first.

Posted on: 14 December 2017 by Eloise

Went to see ...

... last night / this morning (midnight showing starting with Star Wars: Force Awakens at 9pm).

Will try to avoid spoilers as I know many people will be going to see it.

Certainly a more original story than Force Awakens was.  Anyone worried that it will be a remake of Empire Strikes Back can rest assured there is a lot more originality and unexpected twists than there was in Force Awakens.  There's some big "leaps" in galactic governance since Episode VII; but you have to not worry too much about that and just go with the flow I think (or perhaps the leap was within Force Awakens).

Technically was a very good movie with good acting, good effects and real and CGI seamlessly stitched together.  I saw it in 2D so can't comment on 3D.

I'm not entirely sure if it lives up to its hyped up billing (in some reviews) as the "Best Star Wars Ever" ... for me its going to take a second viewing to make any kind of definitive judgement call.  There is certainly more humour and I'm unsure if thats a good thing or not - it might be I'm not used to watching movies with such a big crowd.  A solid 4* movie (using my own star rating criteria that essentially means a movie I enjoyed, want to watch again but not in my top movies ever list) which might rise on rewatching.

Posted on: 15 December 2017 by thebigfredc

Boy did I miss the Star Wars bus even though I am right in its demographic. Didn't get in 1977 and still don't. Harry Potter too...tedious. I realise I am the exception, the odd one out. Can't stand Phil Collins or Queen. 

Posted on: 15 December 2017 by count.d

Stronger. Jake Gyllenhaal is very good.

Posted on: 15 December 2017 by Mr Underhill

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

AT LAST, a decent Star Wars movie. For me this is No 2 in the canon, after A New Hope.

The film avoids any jarring moments, although it does have its share of coincidence and weaknesses; these I was happy to look past as what was delivered was emotionally satisfying and built upon VERY long laid foundations while extending the lore.

Star Wars has always been a western in space, rather than science fiction, but like Westerns when they are well delivered they are fine fare, and this is a film I look forward to re-watching.

Flawed? Certainly, but not holed below the water line by poor dialogue, mis-applied emotional beats or too much product placement. If this is what Kathleen Kennedy is going to deliver may she have more power to her arm.

If you like Star Wars then you may well differ in your placement of this film in terms of its quality, but I am sure you will feel an enormous sense of relief that at last they have made something that properly can be considered in the top three of the series.

M

Posted on: 17 December 2017 by JamieWednesday

Star Wars Last Jedi, of course.

It’s quite good!

Posted on: 17 December 2017 by tonym

Yep, just returned from watching “The Last Jedi”, we both really enjoyed it. Up there with the best of the series and highly recommended.

Posted on: 20 December 2017 by Kevin-W

Stuff Star Wars, the real movie event of the moment is a 71 year old picture made by the peerless Michael Powell and his partner Emeric Pressberger.

Here is A Matter Of Life And Death, presented in a fabulous 4K restoration which HAS to be seen on the big screen.

Since I first saw it on TV back in the 1970s as a kid, I've loved this film; as an adult, every time I see it - and I must have watched it a dozen times - I become more and more convinced that it may well be the greatest movie ever to have been made in these islands.

Seeing it again at the BFI last night finally persuaded me that it is: From that brilliant (and devastatingly moving) opening five or six minutes, this is a picture that has everything - narrative and compositional daring; breathtaking visual beauty thanks to Jack Cardiff's vivid technicolour and pearlescent black and white photography; jaw-dropping sets from Alfred Jünge; a splendid score by Allan Gray; a brilliantly witty, subversive script by Pressberger; Powell's feeling for place (even imaginary ones) and landscape; top-notch performances by David Niven, Kim Hunter, Raymond Massey, Marius Goring and, most of all, the peerless Roger Livesey. To top it all, it is a work of staggering invention and visual imagination - what other picture has a courtroom the size of a galaxy in it? - that seems as fresh today as it must have done back in 1946.

It's a dazzling, daring romantic fantasy but also a very humane picture, a plea for the rights of the individual against the system, and of the rights of all men and women. If you've never seen it before, or if you have previously dismissed it, AMOLAD deserves your attention or reappraisal.

Between 1940 and 1949, Powell (usually with Pressberger) had a run of pictures, all of them in their different ways masterpieces, that goes like this: The Thief of Baghdad; The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp; I Know Where I'm Going; A Canterbury Tale; AMOLAD; Black Narcissus; The Red Shoes; and The Small Back Room. Can anyone, apart from Jean Renoir in the 1930s, beat or even match that?

Posted on: 20 December 2017 by thebigfredc

From these stills it looks amazing.

I shall put it on my festive viewing list.

Posted on: 21 December 2017 by Kevin-W
thebigfredc posted:

From these stills it looks amazing.

I shall put it on my festive viewing list.

It is an incredible film Fred. The guy at BFI told me that it is being released on Blu-ray, 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K streaming next year.

Posted on: 21 December 2017 by Yetizone

Good write up Kevin. This is one of my all time fav movies. Likewise, saw it as a youngster and have since revisited as and when possible. It leaves an impact! The emotional heft, stunning set design and ambition of the whole concept is simply a triumph. Seeing it on the big screen must have been a real privilege! Is it going on general cinema release, or a BFI only event I wonder. If not on the cinema circuit, I look forward to being able to stream the 4K restored version. 

Posted on: 21 December 2017 by Kevin-W

Yeti, this is where it's showing:

http://www.parkcircus.com/in_c...2Blife%2Band%2Bdeath

Posted on: 21 December 2017 by Bruce Woodhouse

Star Wars Last Jedi

Ponderous and disjointed in places. Several whole scenes, threads and indeed characters could easily be skipped (yes, you, Benicio Del Toro) and frankly just too long but enjoyed some of the characters, and yes a teeny bit of humour. An amiable watch but no masterpiece.

I think the last one was better. Did not bother with so much of the pseudo-mystical Jedi nonsense.

Wife and I decided we'd re-christen the whole SW series as 'when did you last see your father(figure)'

Bruce

(my films of the year: Dunkirk, and the mesmerising Lady Macbeth)

Posted on: 22 December 2017 by Yetizone
Kevin-W posted:

Thanks Kevin - much appreciated. Nothing less than an hour away unfortunately, so may have to wait for the 4K version.

Posted on: 22 December 2017 by TK421

The Last Jedi

Pretty disappointed. Nowhere near enough stormtroopers for me!

Personally, I feel that Rogue One is a much better film and am now looking forward to Solo.

I'm just waiting for Disney to shift the release date.

Posted on: 22 December 2017 by Bob the Builder
thebigfredc posted:

Boy did I miss the Star Wars bus even though I am right in its demographic. Didn't get in 1977 and still don't. Harry Potter too...tedious. I realise I am the exception, the odd one out. Can't stand Phil Collins or Queen. 

Fully grown men walking around in Star Wars fancy dress or collecting action fingers is a bit weird and the worst of the worst and I am reliable told a gigantic turn off talking like Yoda.  I remember feeling really let down and disappointed after finally watching Star Wars I just didn't get it as a 9 year old and still don't now.