World Cup Russia 2018 Thread

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 20 May 2018

As ever I'm very much looking forward to the World Cup as a football fan but again am struggling to find much enthusiasm for the England team. I can remember in the past getting excited about our prospects and being devestated at our losses in Italia 90, Euro 96, France 98 even up until Euro 2002 in Portugal when Rooney was such an exciting young prospect but since then my interest in the national team has waned and recent performances in South Africa, Brazil and the last Euros in France have just gotten worse and become an embarassment.

Hopefully though Gareth Southgates youthful looking squad can change all that and play without the fear that seemed to infect our squads in recent tournaments.  Whatever we should be in store for some great football, I wonder who will be the surprise team, who will be the youngster that excites us all and who will win the Golden Boot this time round?

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by MDS

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Haim Ronen
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

All European tournament now. Does this say something about the world game?

Bruce

Not much because this ethnic cleansing in all likelihood wouldn't have happened that soon (or at all) if Brazil or Uruguay were slotted in the weaker bracket.

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Ardbeg10y
Haim Ronen posted:
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

All European tournament now. Does this say something about the world game?

Bruce

Not much because this ethnic cleansing in all likelihood wouldn't have happened that soon (or at all) if Brazil or Uruguay were slotted in the weaker bracket.

Guys the Worldchampionship is about countries, not about race or ethnic ancestry. The variety of only the English team is large - which is good, nice and well accepted by at least me. Love diversity - and in this world it is not limited by borders anymore.

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by wenger2015
MDS posted:

Brilliant 

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Bob the Builder
Massimo Bertola posted:
Tony2011 posted:

It looks like, for the third time in a roll, it's going to be an european team to win it. Well done Belgium, good luck tomorrow England. 

And yet this didn't prevent most of you Brits to vote for leaving Europe.  This proves, once again, that football (or soccer, or what the f*ck you call it) marks the exact limit of people's political, ethic and social level.

I once was in Piccadilly Circus, in front of one of those small shops of English trivia for silly tourists. There was, hung to a wall, a T-shirt with the following, in white on a black background:

I AGANIST MY BROTHER.

I AND MY BROTHER AGAINST OUR COUSIN.

I, MY BROTHER AND MY COUSIN AGAINST THE NEIGHBOR.

I, MY BROTHER, MY COUSIN AND THE NEIGHBOR AGAINST THE FOREIGNER.

(Arab proverb).

Max I wonder if the same vote was cast how many Italians would vote leave and equally how many Italians would put football above politics or anything else for that matter.

I would hasten to add that the rise of nationalist thinking is far from exclusively British in today's Europe and anyway football for most of us is a welcome break from all that. Thank God!

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Massimo Bertola

Fact is, we haven't created the conditions so far for such a crazy vote, whilst you have. As for the answer, I don't know.

So far, again, we are still part of the EU and the €. And we have welcomed and hosted hundreds of thousands of refugees without the least possible help from almost any other EU country. We have had to face impossible situations in the indifference of the nearby nations, or close to it. That's it. 

If is a useless word; so far, we haven't closed our doors (or beaches) to no one. The best you have been able to do was rely on the fact that a miserable, absurd, infamous referendum would surely be rejected but it was accepted instead. Now it's your own funny, laughable, fuc*ing business. So don't ask me 'what if': I still belong to a people who welcomes everyone.

I am sorry Bob, but as long as human behavior is the issue, I cannot consider moral and judgmental hypothesizes  from people who is, at the same time, imperialist and separatist... Laughable.

Best, and gagne le meilleur.

M.

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Massimo Bertola
Bob the Builder posted:
Max I wonder (...) how many Italians would (...) put football above politics or anything else for that matter.

BTW: this is a very lousy, petty way of saying that Italians might put football above everything else. This is worst than racism: it's mere idiocy. This saddens me because I thought you were a decent person. But to escape silly, malevolent national stereotypes is a task too much beyond average people's capacities, and apparently beyond yours. 

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by nickpeacock
nickpeacock posted:

Since the Euro 2016 fiasco, I have adopted a new policy. I will only watch England play again when they reach the semi-final of a major tournament. It’s been blissful. I haven’t had to watch meaningless friendlies where we field 22 players. Nor endless qualifiers. And I can safely eschew the red-top jingoistic fervour. Well, at least until we reach the semis of course, pending which I shall put my feet up, get the beers in and enjoy watching other teams play good football.

Ahem, as I was saying...

Cheers England, you were the better.

Congratulations to England, a superb performance.... all the team played extremely well

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by GraemeH

Well done indeed. A very enjoyable game too.

G

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Tony2011

Calm, cool and collected. Well done, England!

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Bob the Builder
Massimo Bertola posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
Max I wonder (...) how many Italians would (...) put football above politics or anything else for that matter.

BTW: this is a very lousy, petty way of saying that Italians might put football above everything else. This is worst than racism: it's mere idiocy. This saddens me because I thought you were a decent person. But to escape silly, malevolent national stereotypes is a task too much beyond average people's capacities, and apparently beyond yours. 

Max

I am the son of an Irish immigrant married to a girl of Carribean and German heritage do not ever call me a racist I'm offended and angry beyond words over that assertion so far below the belt Max.

Massimo Bertola posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

I think you might be taking BtB's comment a bit too seriously, Max. Italian football fans and players are among the most passionate about the sport as any in the world.  A trait I've always loved about how Italy approaches football. 

M

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

BtB, I am sure you are not a racist, but I don’t really think one’s  ancestory can qualify any one on  whether they are a racist or not... we shouldn’t confuse racism with eugenics. Racism and unconscious bias can manifest itself unfortunately  in many ways for people of all different creeds, faiths and nationalities..and it is sometimes masked by the cloud over one’s ancestory which  really is not relevant.

also for what it’s worth I am not aware of any division over Brexit.. sure people have different views, but in my community where there are widely differeing views as well as classes and political backgrounds but there is no division.... I do think it was played up by some in the media 24 to 12 months ago, but I think for most the world has moved on... and yes we have had a royal wedding, the World Cup, Wimbledon and a sizzling summer so far to unite us ... just as we normally do... well perhaps not to the same usual extent with the World Cup :

Of course I'm delighted for England to get to the semi-finals and to see the team deliver such a professional and controlled performance.  What I was also pleased to see was the way in which the game was played: energetic with strong and robust challenges but free of theatrics, rolling, simulation, off-the-ball stuff, getting in the ref's face, regular 'appeals' for VAR.  The trainers were hardly needed.  Sweden, as expected, played with great spirit and sportsmanship. They will feel very disappointed to lose and that Pickford foiled them but they can return to Sweden with great credit and their heads held high. Well done.         

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

MDS, indeed, that really was a most enjoyable game, one of the best in the competition so far I think... and I don’t think VAR was used once which tells you something.

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by GraemeH
GraemeH posted:

“....you barely touch it and it turns round and round...”

The last line is the best though !

G

GraemeH posted:
GraemeH posted:

“....you barely touch it and it turns round and round...”

The last line is the best though !

G

now I understand these adverts. This is why Ronaldo was doing these suitcase adverts.

While I'd rate England's chances against Russia as better than against Croatia, I must confess to be supporting Croatia in this evening's semi-final. I've always loved their colours (red & white checks); the breathtaking football that they have occasionally shown from the likes of Suker and Boban; Bilic; and that Prosinecki graced my club with his genius towards the end of his career.

Russia Vs Croatia is a nice match to watch. It is about something.

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Peder

That was it,..must congratulate England ?????????.

Watched interviews with the Swedish players, they said they did not come up in the same level as in previous matches....that England was better and deserved to win.
It's just to agree with,...I thought so too.

But it feels hopeful for Swedish football,our new coach's first major championship.And none of the Swedish players had played in a large championship before.Valuable routine for the future.
And the most important,..No player on the pitch,rolled around the grass as Neymar.
I do not understand that he wants to embarrass himself so,in front of the whole worlds television viewers.

/Peder ????

Peder posted:

That was it,..must congratulate England ?????????.

Watched interviews with the Swedish players, they said they did not come up in the same level as in previous matches....that England was better and deserved to win.
It's just to agree with,...I thought so too.

But it feels hopeful for Swedish football,our new coach's first major championship.And none of the Swedish players had played in a large championship before.Valuable routine for the future.
And the most important,..No player on the pitch,rolled around the grass as Neymar.
I do not understand that he wants to embarrass himself so,in front of the whole worlds television viewers.

/Peder ????

Sweden were not at their best, but if not for 2 or 3 great saves from Pickford it could quite easily be a different story ..... 

Sweden did themselves proud.....

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by thebigfredc
Massimo Bertola posted:

Fact is, we haven't created the conditions so far for such a crazy vote, whilst you have. As for the answer, I don't know.

So far, again, we are still part of the EU and the €. And we have welcomed and hosted hundreds of thousands of refugees without the least possible help from almost any other EU country. We have had to face impossible situations in the indifference of the nearby nations, or close to it. That's it. 

If is a useless word; so far, we haven't closed our doors (or beaches) to no one. The best you have been able to do was rely on the fact that a miserable, absurd, infamous referendum would surely be rejected but it was accepted instead. Now it's your own funny, laughable, fuc*ing business. So don't ask me 'what if': I still belong to a people who welcomes everyone.

I am sorry Bob, but as long as human behavior is the issue, I cannot consider moral and judgmental hypothesizes  from people who is, at the same time, imperialist and separatist... Laughable.

Best, and gagne le meilleur.

M.

You are out of order Massimo.

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Stephen Tate
Ardbeg10y posted:

Russia Vs Croatia is a nice match to watch. It is about something.

What a match, it's had me on the edge of my seat!