World Cup Russia 2018 Thread

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 20 May 2018

As ever I'm very much looking forward to the World Cup as a football fan but again am struggling to find much enthusiasm for the England team. I can remember in the past getting excited about our prospects and being devestated at our losses in Italia 90, Euro 96, France 98 even up until Euro 2002 in Portugal when Rooney was such an exciting young prospect but since then my interest in the national team has waned and recent performances in South Africa, Brazil and the last Euros in France have just gotten worse and become an embarassment.

Hopefully though Gareth Southgates youthful looking squad can change all that and play without the fear that seemed to infect our squads in recent tournaments.  Whatever we should be in store for some great football, I wonder who will be the surprise team, who will be the youngster that excites us all and who will win the Golden Boot this time round?

Posted on: 27 May 2018 by wenger2015
TOBYJUG posted:
wenger2015 posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

Sorry, but I'm not clued up that much on football,  but didn't Rooney once state that he wasn't that much bothered about playing for England. Since he had more success playing off other great players in the cup teams.  Got a feeling big time long time that other players felt the same.

when Rooney got the ball in an England match, it always looked like he didn't know what to do with it since the other more talented players weren't there to help out. He only scored goals when more talented players set him up.

Now that he's long gone, I hope the young players now can feel some genuine passion for playing as an England footballer.

Rooney scored well, I think he’s been Englands top scorer both on and off the field.....

Only 2 in a live tournament, and they were in his first Euro.

Yes, that says it all really 

Posted on: 27 May 2018 by thebigfredc

I fancy France for this World Cup.  England will have had a good tournament if they reach the quarters. 

Although the Iceland debacle is fresh in our minds lets  not forget that we came bottom of our group in 2014 and were shocking in SA four years earlier too.

Posted on: 27 May 2018 by Bob the Builder

France are in with a chance as are all the usual suspects Spain are still a strong team Brazil look a dead cert on paper and have a massive point to prove but I'm finding it hard to see past the Germans again.  Belgium might be the new Holland fantastic individuals who can't seem to gel and I think we (England) may do better than we all think.

Posted on: 27 May 2018 by nickpeacock
wenger2015 posted:
nickpeacock posted:

Since the Euro 2016 fiasco, I have adopted a new policy. I will only watch England play again when they reach the semi-final of a major tournament. 

You may well be in for a long wait before getting those beers in..... 

Although with such low expectations of an England team.... and assuming none of the team get poisoned.... maybe those footballing gods might smile  on us for once

The beers are for watching other teams, not England!!

Posted on: 28 May 2018 by wenger2015
nickpeacock posted:
wenger2015 posted:
nickpeacock posted:

Since the Euro 2016 fiasco, I have adopted a new policy. I will only watch England play again when they reach the semi-final of a major tournament. 

You may well be in for a long wait before getting those beers in..... 

Although with such low expectations of an England team.... and assuming none of the team get poisoned.... maybe those footballing gods might smile  on us for once

The beers are for watching other teams, not England!!

For England it’s either Valium or anti- depressants!!

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by Southweststokie
wenger2015 posted:

who famously said ‘you will never win anything with a team full of kids’...

That was MOTD Alan Hanson I believe talking about a young Manchester United team

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by wenger2015
Southweststokie posted:
wenger2015 posted:

who famously said ‘you will never win anything with a team full of kids’...

That was MOTD Alan Hanson I believe talking about a young Manchester United team

That was it, it took a while for him to live that down 

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by Romi

I am looking forward to see the Russian Cossacks on horseback, about 30 to control the Rostov area.

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by Ardbeg10y

Belgium has a good team and good beers.

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by Bert Schurink

If they can play as a team, France should be able to win

Messi owes it to himself to once get this price...

Germany doesn’t have a good enough formation, but it’s still Germany....

and painful, painful....., nothing to cheer for for the Dutch...

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by Ardbeg10y
Bert Schurink posted:

If they can play as a team, France should be able to win

Messi owes it to himself to once get this price...

Germany doesn’t have a good enough formation, but it’s still Germany....

and painful, painful....., nothing to cheer for for the Dutch...

Germany always grows during tournaments.

I think I follow that advise given on this topic and adapt Germany - I have German family and Germany is not supported by many other countries...

Posted on: 04 June 2018 by Christopher_M

And talking of Germany.... Leroy Sane has been omitted from their squad.

This comment appealed to me on the BBC site about this story:

"Dear Germany

Please could England borrow your worst goalkeeper, your worst defender and your worst midfielder? Just for a few weeks.

You can have Henderson, Jones and any keeper you choose in exchange.

Thanks in advance,
Gareth Southgate"

Posted on: 04 June 2018 by Romi
Christopher_M posted:

And talking of Germany.... Leroy Sane has been omitted from their squad.

This comment appealed to me on the BBC site about this story:

"Dear Germany

Please could England borrow your worst goalkeeper, your worst defender and your worst midfielder? Just for a few weeks.

You can have Henderson, Jones and any keeper you choose in exchange.

Thanks in advance,
Gareth Southgate"

Never mind the players can we borrow Joachim Low just for this World Cup..?

Posted on: 07 June 2018 by thebigfredc

I didn't catch the game last night but I have just read the BBCs review of the game and of Phil McNulty's overwhelmingly positive judgement of England's approach to the impending tournament.

He makes some really good points regarding how the players and management conduct themselves these days, contrasting this with some of Southgate's predecessors such as Capello. Thank God Alladyce didn't stick around for long.

I know we have been here before and we haven't got the players we had 10 or 12 years ago but hey who knows....

Ray

Posted on: 07 June 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

I'm a very occasional football watcher but have to agree with the above. I have seen the first half of the last two friendlies.

As a unit they look energetic, prepared to try things, and confident. Southgate seems to me to have handled everything with common sense, dignity and a refreshing sense of humour (and perspective). I think he should have settled earlier on his preferred defensive three plus keeper and let them play together more often but what do I know.

FWIW I don't think we will do that well because we lack world class players (especially in midfield) but I think we will at least play with some vigour and technical ability and I don't think we will just freeze.

So, home early enough, but unembarrassed for me. There might just be enough youth in this cohort for Southgate to build on too

Bruce

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by MDS

Can't say I was impressed by last night's friendly. Costa Rica looked tired (probably Jet-lagged), England were occasionally careless at the back, which would likely be punished by top-rank opposition, and we played at too slow a pace.  I think we will have to up the pace considerably when the tournament starts.

Also, I don't understand why Southgate din't start with his preferred XI. He still seems to be experimenting. The time for that has passed. It's real now.  

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by wenger2015

I think the problem with a friendly game a week before the World Cup, is nobody wants to get injured.... hence your left with a game which Is almost like a testimonial.

That said I agree with MDS, if these games have to be played then play your starting eleven..... 

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by ALANP

Whilst I agree with the points both MDS and Wenger make at least it appears that selection is not a closed shop and keeps the players on their toes.I also believe this creates a squad mentality with all the players feeling they have a chance of playing and this can carry the team along if they progress.  

ALANP posted:

Whilst I agree with the points both MDS and Wenger make at least it appears that selection is not a closed shop and keeps the players on their toes.I also believe this creates a squad mentality with all the players feeling they have a chance of playing and this can carry the team along if they progress.  

Very true, maybe it helps the players not get complacent 

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by dave marshall

Anything has to be better than the setup some years back, when the same old tired faces formed the nucleus of the team, largely based on past reputation, rather than current form.

I was at the game, and enjoyed seeing the team play with much more freedom and imagination than has been the case lately.

dave marshall posted:

Anything has to be better than the setup some years back, when the same old tired faces formed the nucleus of the team, largely based on past reputation, rather than current form.

I was at the game, and enjoyed seeing the team play with much more freedom and imagination than has been the case lately.

I must say I am quietly optimistic...

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by dave marshall

Just to follow up my comments above, Rashford was quite properly given man of the match, as he looked a different player to the one who turns out for his club.

Elsewhere, both Rose and Delph must have covered every blade of grass, which was particularly pleasing for me, as a Leeds Fan.

No disrespect to Wemberlee intended, but the atmosphere last night at Elland Road was absolutely brilliant, even down to the banter of the Man U players being roundly booed at the start of the game, but soundly cheered off at the end ............ a great evening.

dave marshall posted:

Just to follow up my comments above, Rashford was quite properly given man of the match, as he looked a different player to the one who turns out for his club.

Elsewhere, both Rose and Delph must have covered every blade of grass, which was particularly pleasing for me, as a Leeds Fan.

No disrespect to Wemberlee intended, but the atmosphere last night at Elland Road was absolutely brilliant, even down to the banter of the Man U players being roundly booed at the start of the game, but soundly cheered off at the end ............ a great evening.

Well that’s all very positive.... Rashfords goal was superb, maybe with England he is allowed to express himself and play his natural attacking game unlike his straight jacket performances at United.

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Slightly off topic I note Kenny Dalglish has been knighted.

Very well deserved for his post-Hillsborough efforts, and also his other charitable work. Fine footballer too.

I think, however, that the citation should read for services to the Glaswegian accent. I heard a brief interview with him this am and I'm assuming he was chuffed to bits but I honestly could not tell you for sure!

Incidentally I heard 5Live interview him a while ago-and for the first time realised that one of the presenters is actually his daughter (Kelly Cates). it was a very personal and emotional interview much of which focussed on the Hillsborough funerals etc. Quite moving, and the toll it took in him and his family was evident.

Bruce

Posted on: 09 June 2018 by wenger2015
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Slightly off topic I note Kenny Dalglish has been knighted.

Very well deserved for his post-Hillsborough efforts, and also his other charitable work. Fine footballer too.

I think, however, that the citation should read for services to the Glaswegian accent. I heard a brief interview with him this am and I'm assuming he was chuffed to bits but I honestly could not tell you for sure!

Incidentally I heard 5Live interview him a while ago-and for the first time realised that one of the presenters is actually his daughter (Kelly Cates). it was a very personal and emotional interview much of which focussed on the Hillsborough funerals etc. Quite moving, and the toll it took in him and his family was evident.

Bruce

I have just been listening to a brief interview with KD, I think he was very pleased with the honour....?? Subtitles required next time...

As I’m sure most Liverpool fans would say a ‘Legend ‘ ..