Pop Quizzz Mkii

Posted by: Rico on 27 October 2000

better than a MKii Ekos, it's : time to get yours on Pop Quizz, (MK ii).

It's friday, and we need some variety. Let's not get toooooo bogged down in detail (as long as we don't re-write history) and crack some quick-fire questions. Keep it moving! One new question set by supplier of right answer, number questions sequentially please, and use the number with your answer - that'll help us keep track. Here's two 80's questions to start with:

Q1.: Who did the art on the original editions of Speaking in Tongues by Talking Heads?

Q2.: Which fabulous blues legend who passed in a helicopter crash, played guitar on much of Bowie's hyper-commercial smash Let's Dance ?

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 02 November 2000 by Tony L
Kevin,

Yes you are right, and the answer to your question is Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy.

Q15) Which American beat poet did an album with Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy?

Tony.

Posted on: 02 November 2000 by Nigel Cavendish
quote:
Q15) Which American beat poet did an album with Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy?

Guessin: Allan Ginsberg?

cheers

Nigel

quote:
Guessin: Allan Ginsberg?

No. Next beat poet please.

Tony.

William Burroughs then (or isn't he a novelist?)

cheers

Nigel

quote:
William Burroughs

Yes. The album is called 'Spare Ass Annie and Other Tales', and is excellent.

Tony.

Which Dubliner helped a base Londoner to make music about celtic poets?

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 03 November 2000 by Rico
Q16 - A. - errrr I'll take a guess - Sinead "does the carpet match the curtains?" O'Connor? Although I don't reckon Shane McGowan qualifies as a Londoner, at least...

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 03 November 2000 by Nigel Cavendish
...it is not.

Clues, it's a bloke and "base" Londoner is bit punny.

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 06 November 2000 by Tim Oldridge
The "Base" Londoner must be the wonderful Jah Wobble (London tube driver and bass-player extrordinaire). He's worked with the Edge (from U2) but also AFAICR Sinead O'Connor.

Timo (thinking up the next question in case I'm right)

Posted on: 06 November 2000 by Nigel Cavendish
The base Londoner is indeed Jah Wobble; all you now need to do is identify the Dubliner (but not the Edge!) who helped him to make music about celtic poets (clue there too).

cheers

Nigel

"Which Dubliner [Ronnie Drew from the Dubliners] helped a base Londoner [Jah Wobble]to make music about celtic poets [a JW Album title]?"

You gave us enough clues, we're just a bit slow.

Q17: Literary connections - easy

I can think of two novels named after songs from Brit pop/rock bands.

Name the novel/song titles and the authors of the novels (Rico need not apply coz I told him this last week).

Timo

Posted on: 06 November 2000 by Rico
ok then, I'll just hang out here in the exclusion zone. And kick myself for missing any Jah Wobble reference!

Rico - musichead

You mean where I usually end up on this thread - through insufficient knowledge rather than your excess of knowledge ;-)

Timo

Posted on: 06 November 2000 by rents
Well, I know one at least: "Girlfriend in a Coma" by Douglas Coupland.
Posted on: 07 November 2000 by Tim Oldridge
"Well, I know one at least: "Girlfriend in a Coma" by Douglas Coupland"

Correct.

A clue for the second will follow when I have a moment.

Timo

The second book is also by an American. The song is off a (very good) 1977 English new wave album.

The novel I remember as being considered pretty cool/culty when it came out (mid 80s), the author's first I believe. I've just pulled the following review:

"Set in Los Angeles in the early 1980's, this coolly mesmerizing novel is a raw, powerful portrait of a lost generation who have experienced sex, drugs, and disaffection at too early an age, in a world shaped by casual nihilism, passivity, and too much money a place devoid of feeling or hope."

Sounds depressing, but the following extract from a synpsis puts "casual nihilism etc" in context:

"X comes home for Christmas vacation from his Eastern college and re-enters a landscape of
limitless privilege and absolute moral entropy, where everyone drives Porches, dines at Spago,
and snorts mountains of cocaine."

Timo

Posted on: 07 November 2000 by rents
That would be Bret Easton Ellis' "Less than zero" then. Funny, I never made the connection until now, despite the fact that "My aim is true" is sitting on a shelf less than two feet behind me.

BTW, Coupland is Canadian

Does this mean I have to come up with a question? Oh joy, all this worthless knowledge is finally being put to use. *g

Rents

Bret Easton Ellis' "Less than zero" off "My aim is true" by Elvis Costello & the Attractions is correct. As far as I can remember Costello is name-checked or acknowledged in the book.

"BTW, Coupland is Canadian"
Doh! These quizzes serve only to demonstrate how little I really know.

"Does this mean I have to come up with a question?"
Yes, but if that was your question I've got it right and it's my turn again ;-)

Timo
(go ahead with Q.18)

Posted on: 07 November 2000 by woodface
Can somebody please supply a question?
Rents

It's your turn. I suggest if you can't think of anything by 9 a.m. (GMT) tomorrow, Rico gets to ask a question since (i) he resurrected this thread and (ii) I said he couldn't answer the previous question.

Timo

Posted on: 07 November 2000 by rents
Sorry about the delay, haven't been able to access this board with any great success over the last couple of hours ('Database unavaible..' etc etc), but here goes:

Which Swedish indiepop group "co-wrote" a song with Springsteen in the mid '90s?

Posted on: 08 November 2000 by Rico
Hey gang, we did have two simultaneous questions going. so to keep the rapid-fire nature of the thread going, here's

Q.19: Which one-time Chillie Pepper, often slagged off by Beavis & Butthead, was recently replaced by a back-from-the-dead guitarist?

PS - remember to reference your question number.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 09 November 2000 by woodface
Q18 - Cardigans/
Posted on: 09 November 2000 by rents
"Q18 - Cardigans"
Nope.

Hint: they collaborated with Stina Nordenstam on her album "And she closed her eyes"

Posted on: 10 November 2000 by Rico
Rents, you spun a difficult one there. Not having heard of Stina before, I checked it out on AMG, and promptly ordered the album on the strength of the comment "let's just say that if there's a place with an interesting jukebox, Nordenstam's second release would sit nicely with David Sylvian's Brilliant Trees." Thanks!

Rico - musichead

PS - oh bloody hell, if that's not enough, for my pennance there's a Sarah Brightman reference in her biography! Argggh, Vuk! Heeeeeelp!