Mazda RX8

Posted by: NB on 14 November 2003

I am thinking of selling my Toyota Supra and buying the new Mazda RX8.

Has anyone had the pleasure of driving one yet? and are they as good looking as the new advert suggests?

Regards

NB
Posted on: 16 November 2003 by Johns Naim
quote:
and maybe even the Z4!

Heh, yeah, but it is a BMW Eek

Cheers

John... Big Grin

Populist thinking exalts the simplistic and the ordinary
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by Top Cat
Buyer beware - I long lusted after the RX-7 (predecessor to the RX-8) and was actually talked out of buying one by a surprisingly honest dealer, who claimed that should I ever need any major work done, to be prepared with a second mortgage, as very few dealers are qualified to work on the rotary engines.

Dunno if that's true or not, but there's logic there...

Also, the RX-8 came off poorly in the Autocar 'racing around a track' magazine I bought the other week. They rated the MX-5 above it, despite lack of practicality.

Saying that, they rated the MCS Works lower than I'd have expected too, so I'm taking their tests with a pinch of salt...

John (who wants a Mini Cooper M Big Grin )

TC '..'
"Sun went down in honey. Moon came up in wine. Stars were spinnin' dizzy, Lord, the band kept us so busy we forgot about the time."
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by JeremyD
quote:
Originally posted by alexgerrard:
I don't know whether or not the RX8 has been on Top Gear, but Clarkson said this:

"one of the best handling cars I have ever driven.....the styling is chintzier than a pair of council house curtains"

(buried in December's copy of Top Gear Magazine).
In the Sunday Times before last, he described the RX8 as having "suspect handling" in the wet. Hmmm...

--J
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by NB
Jeremy

You would be surprised what a pair of Bridgestone S02's would make! MY Supra has more grip in the wet than most have in the dry!

Regards

NB
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by NB
Does anyone know the website as advertised in the TV ad for the Mazda RX8?

Regards

NB
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by MichaelC
I saw the RX8 advert last night - good looking vehicle. Along with the 350Z it appears that the Japanese have finally learnt that efficiency isn't the be it and end all of car design.

Regards

Mike (the former owner of the most unreliable car everto come from Japan.
Posted on: 17 November 2003 by Mike Sae
D) They are responsible motorists and didn't want to end up in a heap of flaming wreckage or worse.

Liquidken with a driving attitude like that, I'm surprised you haven't lived up to your namesake. Razz
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by Johns Naim
And now for something totally different... Big Grin

Heheh, read a review today in the English 'CAR' mag, of the to be Vauxhall Monaro. Of course this is pretty much US/AUS technology, designed and built in AUS, and now being exported to the US as a Pontiac GTO, and to dear old Blighty as a Vauxhall Monaro.

As the review said, what it gave away in sophistication, it made up for in looks, get up and go, and a fun, fun drive.

Had to laugh though at the description of it being 'big' Wink In the US, they're complaining that it's 'small', and not butch enough. Big Grin Here of course, it's just right Wink

Still, a gorgeous looker, and with a 5.7 litre bent eight with 235kw it ain't to be sneezed at.

Just a thought. Heheh, a real mans car DBig Grin

Cheers

John... Wink

Populist thinking exalts the simplistic and the ordinary
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by NB
Quote:-

Mike (the former owner of the most unreliable car everto come from Japan
--------------------------------------------------------------

I bet its not as unreliable as my Supra, I have never claimed my RAC non call out bonus!

Regards

NB
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by Top Cat
quote:
did you see the 260bhp mini cooper s on top gear last night

It was 275bhp, actually. Bonkers, but how much fun would that be!!! I actually know someone who drove that very same car (it's the tuner's own personal wheels) when it was at 240bhp and was impressed enough to have her car modded to 220bhp (spoiled, sadly, by a _very unsuitable_ boy-racer-style bodykit. Yuk!)

I'm sure BMW will at some point retaliate, perhaps with a 3.2 Cooper M. Can't see why they shouldn't; a V6 with that supercharger, and a bit of stiffening here and there, should be good for about 290bhp...

But I'm dreaming again. Back in the real world, I recently moved to the S from a Cooper and I'm having lots of fun. It's nippy, handles impeccably and everyone loves it...

Big Grin

John

TC '..'
"Sun went down in honey. Moon came up in wine. Stars were spinnin' dizzy, Lord, the band kept us so busy we forgot about the time."
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by NB
I have just been into my local Mazda dealer, picked up the brocure and seen one in the flesh.

They really are a beautiful car.

I also went into my local Chrysler dealer to drop my jeep off for its MOT and I have to say its a good looking car from the outside but inside its really tacky, I am still tempted to take one out for a test drive.

Regards

NB
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
quote:
everyone loves it...

Sorry TC. I think the New Mini is an ill-proportioned, badly packaged, unoriginal pastiche, frequently sold in daft colour/stripey roof/wheel combinations and with an interior that looks like a german bordello.

I should point out that the last comparison is not from experience.

I have no doubt it is a good drive but I'm totally unconvinced about the image.

Bruce
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by Top Cat
OK, fair enough. Everyone but Bruce loves it Smile

John

TC '..'
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by BLT
Er no, everyone but Bruce and BLT loves it! I accept that it is a very good car (apart from the dreadful packaging) but I think that the "retro" styling is totally naff.
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by Mike Sae
Hey, does Mini have a long term business plan? I mean, there's all these lovely dealerships in the trendiest parts of the world and they only have one product. Sure, there's a convertible coming but that's not the point. How is selling one car sustainable in the long run?

Will Mini owners have a place to go for service and parts 10 years from now?

I'm sure this has been all thought out; I'd like to know!
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by ErikL
I believe Mini has something like 8-12 models in the pipeline. Also, they're as sustainable as BMW's cash flow and knobs willing to pay $20k+ for a $15k car.

RE: the RX8, I've seen a few on the road lately and I've concluded that they look okay everywhere except in the middle. How the front and the rear are joined together looks odd to me, a bit like a stretch sportscar.
Points taken, but I can't help wondering how much "life" the Mini name and concept has in it. Logically, the whole Mini fad (it seems like a fad to me- silver interiors, cute styling) will pass. They need to redesign, nay reinvent themselves say, every 4-5 years to keep fresh, no?

It's interesting that a company with "one" car can compete. Does so much ride on the mystique and nameplate; that it's a Mini?

Obviously I have no clue how big business works.
Mike, what Mini is aiming to build is something more than a brand- a lifestlye based on driving for the sake of enjoyment (a foreign concept in the US). Think Harley Davidson. If they are successful, and they have been to date, that could have very long legs.

Meanwhile...

Does anyone know if the RX8 was named as such because a future 2-door RX7 is in the works? I would like one of those.
Algers, to clarify- I was speaking in regards to Mini in the US (and perhaps Canada?). I was also speaking based on memory of a WSJ story several months ago, which detailed their North American marketing strategy. I have no idea Mini's brand equity in Europe. Smile
There must be a site that features pictures of Minis that were hit by super sized McSUVs.

Sorry for going OT. I'm jealous of all you cool car driving people.
Nowhere is it written "Thou shall not covet thy neighbours Forester XT".
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by MichaelC
quote:
Originally posted by NB:
Quote:-

Mike (the former owner of the most unreliable car everto come from Japan
--------------------------------------------------------------

I bet its not as unreliable as my Supra, I have never claimed my RAC non call out bonus!

Regards

NB

The AA and my local garage were very understanding over approximately three years. Typically the thing packed up just after coming out of warranty. In the end a combination of my local garage and Toyota took pity on me and ceased charging for the investigative and corrective work they carried out but oh what a long drawn out pain.

I have particularly fond memories of a drive from Paris to Toulose when the damn thing refused to start each time after stopping - the cure was to rock the car on the clutch until it fired.

Why on earth did I not sell it? I actually liked it - swift, decent handling, and comfortable.

Mike
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by NB
Mike,

What car did you own?

Regards

NB
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by Tom F
quote:
I believe it went out of production for a large slice of this time

Not quite. It was in production from 1959 until 2000 with over 5 million sold and 120 models. Not bad for an inside-out sardine tin.

I completely agree that the MINI is trading off its predecessor's name and that image, but only in a very contrived way. We'll go off the new one (just as soon, I hope, that dull 30-somethings go off Audi TTs) when we realise that it looks like Noddy should be driving it and that it really isn't that small. Overall, am not really convinced.
Posted on: 20 November 2003 by NB
Just had a quote for leasing a new Mazda. £374 a month.

Is this good or bad?

Regards

NB
Posted on: 20 November 2003 by BLT
What are the conditions - mileage allowance etc?
It sounds pretty good if the mileage allowance is high. The lease rates are likely to be good because of the projected residuals.