An occasional thread for standout purchases

Posted by: Bruce Woodhouse on 11 February 2018

Alela Diane - Cusp

I never find the long lists of purchased CDs and downloads inspire me much so here is a thread for people to pick out occasional highlights of their purchasing and maybe add a bit more detail if they want. I hope it means people will find new music they like.

I've bought all of Alela Dianes's work but this is richer and seems more consistent than other albums.

There is a bit of Laura Veirs or KD Lang in her style (although she is from Oregon not Canada) and early albums were more dusty folk/country. This latest is smoother and lyrically really interesting and it engages over several listens. A subtle pleasure but high quality I think.

If you like this try her previous albums (To Be Still possibly the best, if a bit spikier) and maybe Anna Tivel's excellent recent brace of Small Believer from last year and Heroes Walking from 2016. Very good indie country folk albums with great storytelling-style songs and a clean and natural style. Again quiet and simple albums but worth the effort.

There is a review of Cusp below with some samples. I note also that 7Digital and Qobuz have a good price for it in High Res just now although the former seems to change day to day

Cheers Bruce

https://www.theguardian.com/mu...iew-songs-motherhood

Posted on: 26 July 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Bah

Having set up this thread earlier in the year I've been frustrated at buying lots of 'nearly' albums that have not quite made it onto here. Wye Oak 'The Louder I Call The Faster It Runs' is very good in places, Beach House '7' is rich and dense but, frankly a bit too much for me. The Essex Green 'Hardly Electronic' is a jangly indie pop album that is fun but not terribly remarkable. Finally Luluc 'Sculptor' was an album I had high hopes for but frankly totally fails to hang together after the lovely 'Passerby' of 2014.

So here we have it; a new Cowboy Junkies album. If you think you know what to expect you'd be right. That lovely voice is intact, some great guitar playing (especially on bass), rich slower tracks and a couple of faster rockers. It is not much different from previous; but the quality of the songwriting is consistent and it is also recorded really, really well. They've made a lot of albums and this feels like it is as good as any-so you could start here if curious and without any CJ in your collection (although The Trinity Sessions is a bona fide classic that everyone must own surely?).

There's a review here. http://www.folkradio.co.uk/201...at-reckoning-review/

Here's to some really good purchases in the rest of the year!

Bruce

Posted on: 26 July 2018 by AndyP19
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

So here we have it; a new Cowboy Junkies album. If you think you know what to expect you'd be right. That lovely voice is intact, some great guitar playing (especially on bass), rich slower tracks and a couple of faster rockers. It is not much different from previous; but the quality of the songwriting is consistent and it is also recorded really, really well. They've made a lot of albums and this feels like it is as good as any-so you could start here if curious and without any CJ in your collection (although The Trinity Sessions is a bona fide classic that everyone must own surely?).

Bruce, funny listening to the Cowboy Junkies album this afternoon, outstanding. I picked it up a week or so ago on 7digital where the 24bit was a going for a great price. Plus I bought the 4CD package Notes Falling Slowly just for that album but in addition bagged the other three in the package (which I already had) but in 24bit for I think about £10 (around 40 tracks).

Agree with you on the Trinity Sessions, which as you say everyone must (already) own. I picked this up around the time it was issued (1987) when it was used by every hi-fi reviewer to test a sytem - recorded in a church with a single suspended microphone, if I remember correctly. Saw them play the whole album a few years back (2007) at the Royal Albert Hall with Ryan Adams and Thea Gilmore backing vocals.

Posted on: 26 August 2018 by Nick Lees

Gwenifer Raymond - You Never Were Much Of A Dancer

Question: What sort of music does a young Welsh (now resident in Brighton) lady who has a PHD in Astro-Physics and designs video games for a living make?

Answer: Somewhat bemusedly, American Primitive. She's a devotee of the sort of music made by John Fahey (there's a track dedicated to him), early Leo Kottke, Glenn Jones and the like.

And she does it brilliantly, failing to fall into the trap of simply showing off awesome technique (though she has that in spades - check out Finger Bleeding Blues) or by delivering a monochrome set (she adds slide and banjo into the mix too). The tunes are great and nothing outstays its welcome or seems self-indulgent.

Available through streaming platforms (including Bandcamp, where you can order CD or Vinyl).

It's a crystalline delight (and I love the deadpan video).

Posted on: 06 September 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Nick

Thanks a lot for that, really nice, really talented. Bandcamp downloaded. 'American primitive' is a new sub-genre definition to me!

Have you heard Nathan Salsburg 'Third'? Less rootsy but similar vein. I also thought of William Tyler 'Modern Country' and 'Desert Canyon' as plugged-in alternatives.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/...than-salsburg-third/

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/...1916-modern-country/

Bruce

Posted on: 07 September 2018 by Nick Lees

Liked the Salsburg and will explore further, and yes I’ve some William Tyler, so spot on!

Posted on: 07 September 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Excellent. I am assuming that there are 'First' and 'Second' by Salsburg too, but not quite got around to looking yet!

Posted on: 08 September 2018 by Bert Schurink

Within the context of progressive rock this is a brilliant album. Wouldn’t be amazed if it will arrive on multiple best of prog lists in the blogs or magazines. I heard them yesterday evening life, and was blown away...

You can find this album in high res on Bandcamp...

Posted on: 08 September 2018 by GraemeH

Thanks for the Cowboy Junkies recommendation - superb.

G

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Blimey this really is something.

Low -

Low "Double Negative"

I have two Low albums only and see them as curiosities in my collection that rarely get played but this new album is a fascinating, intense and quite special bit of work I suspect will endure.

It is dark, glitchy and almost industrial sounding at times and then gently emerges at times into sweet and melodic phases. Absolutely begs a good HiFi or headphones; at times the base will make your bones ache!

Definitely an exploration of sound as well as music at times. I'm struggling to think of anything in my collection really like it-maybe a bit of Nick Cave's Skeleton Tree? Also made me think of the experimental leap Wilco made with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Not an casual listen but worth spending time with. I've struggled to play anything else since I bought it.

Review from Pitchfork below and videos. it is however an album that deserves a listen all the way through rather than track by track. Just hide any sharp objects...

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/...low-double-negative/

Bruce

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Chunky

Bruce, thanks for the detailed commentary on this album.  I'm currently playing Low's Ones and Sixes CD a lot at the moment.  I understand this new album is a bit of a departure from their previous output, so I am looking forward to getting this very soon.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

At last, early December and another entry to my list of top 2018 releases; Jeff Tweedy: WARM

I'm a bona fide Wilco/Tweedy fan but after 3 days with this album I'm happy that it not just floats my boat but is worthy of a big audience. Partly due to context; his first solo album of new material coincides with his autobiography and anyone interested should definitely catch a very relaxed, open and interesting interview with Bob Boilen on the NPR all songs considered podcast last week. Link below.

So the album has a more intimate feel than the last Wilco offerings and definitely has a personal edge and lyrical directness that adds to the impact. Musically it is not particularly remarkable or adventurous but it is all immaculately produced and his voice is as good as it has ever been. It is a fine end to a year that also saw him release a fine album of acoustic versions of previous tracks on 'Together At last'

A rich and mature pleasure from an American artist approaching icon status in my view; for his own music and also those that emerge from the Wilco recording space (he was behind the lovely Joan Shelley eponymous album last year for example).

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/...ms/jeff-tweedy-warm/

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/01...onts-his-shadow-self

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by AndyP19

Spot on Bruce a wonderful album.

But yet another instance of over the top pricing on Qobuz at £13.99 - it's a enough to drive a man back to CDs. Finally located on Bandcamp for about £9.

Lucky to have seen Wilco in Dublin at Vicar Street when Nels Cline was in the band. At one point they had a four guitar line up, front of stage, heads down, wigging out like Status Quo.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

I got stung by Qobuz-the lure of an instant download on release!

CD is £9.99 some places

Bruce

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

...and something totally different to wrap up the year. I heard this on an end of year podcast on NPR All Songs Considered. I usually buy something classical or choral this time of year and this is a collection of Spanish Baroque dance music that is just great; full of energy and passion. If you get the High Res download from Qobuz (which is actually cheaper than a standard CD from the rainforest place) it is sumptuously recorded too. I'll be adding Vol 1 soon I am sure.

Forma Antiqva "Concerto Xapico Vol 2"

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Nick Lees

Great tunes, fantastic sound, just what the Doctor ordered.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by AndyP19

Bruce, very interesting indeed and sort of falls close, although your recommendation is a lot more sophisticated, to this person/band https://fief.bandcamp.com/

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Nick Lees

Agusa - Ekstasis-Live In Rome

I've whiffled on about this lot of proggy Swedes in previous years, but this, released too late for the best of year lists, is just flat-out ace. 

Instrumental and very reminiscent of early Focus (but not in a slavish way), they're a five-piece: drums, bass, organ, guitar & flute. The flute carries the melodies, the hammond swirls away with the full Leslie, and on this recording the guitar absolutely rips it up.

There are no new tracks as such but everything is extended and the band are clearly on fire and thoroughly enjoying themselves.

https://agusaband.bandcamp.com...kstasis-live-in-rome

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by AndyP19
Nick Lees posted:

Agusa - Ekstasis-Live In Rome

I've whiffled on about this lot of proggy Swedes in previous years, but this, released too late for the best of year lists, is just flat-out ace. 

Instrumental and very reminiscent of early Focus (but not in a slavish way), they're a five-piece: drums, bass, organ, guitar & flute. The flute carries the melodies, the hammond swirls away with the full Leslie, and on this recording the guitar absolutely rips it up.

There are no new tracks as such but everything is extended and the band are clearly on fire and thoroughly enjoying themselves.

https://agusaband.bandcamp.com...kstasis-live-in-rome

Nick well spotted indeed. The whole Agusa catalogue is a bargain on Bandcamp for around €30 (plus VAT) - pity I already have the other four on your past recommendation but this live album is a gem and as you say they do have the opportnity to stretch out on the tracks.  

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by AndyP19

Out today, a sublime album from the wonderful Delines. Amy Boone has one of those voices that just floors me everytime - similar in a way to Shelby Lynne if a comparison is required, but from the cover you can tell this isn't a Shelby album.

Just brilliant that bands like this are around making music.

https://thedelines.bandcamp.co...ack/holly-the-hustle

Great price on Qobuz at £7.99 or a tad more on Bandcamp.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Dave J
AndyP19 posted:

Out today, a sublime album from the wonderful Delines. Amy Boone has one of those voices that just floors me everytime - similar in a way to Shelby Lynne if a comparison is required, but from the cover you can tell this isn't a Shelby album.

I so totally agree, Andy, great band, great album.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Motel Blues
AndyP19 posted:

Haven’t bought this yet - it’s on the list - but in these  days of diminishing mainstream vinyl quality the LP of their debut album “Colfax” was a sonic standout. 

HDTracks are selling a hi-res download of “The Imperial”; I haven’t found any other sites doing so yet.

I’d recommend Richmond Fontaine if you like The Delines, as both bands share a songwriter.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Bruce Woodhouse
AndyP19 posted:

That is excellent, thanks. Reminded me of Samantha Crain. I'd also recommend Anna Tivel for good story-telling country with a more acoustic feel.

Bruce

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by nickpeacock
AndyP19 posted:

Rough Trade’s album of the month for January.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Premmyboy
nickpeacock posted:
AndyP19 posted:

Rough Trade’s album of the month for January.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just listened on Spotify and really enjoyed it. Just ordered it on vinyl now. I like Richmond Fontaine seen them live on a few occasions. I went to their farewell tour a couple years back. I hadn’t heard of The Delines but see they are touring UK in Jan/Feb. I’m tempted to try and go see them.

prem.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Jonners

One of the bands which are hard to classify but who churn out consistently good Country-esque material which is beautifully recorded are The Jayhawks. This album from 2003 is I think their best and I return to it time and time again:

Image result for the jayhawks rainy day music