Jazz Corner

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 22 June 2018

A thread for Jazz and music lovers to listen, discover and discuss great Jazz music, if you wish to join in I thought we could pick one record per week to listen to and post our views about. I will choose the first record and then the person who posts first gets to pick the next record simple. 

Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine recorded live on 12.02.1964 at the Philharmonic, NYC.

For me the best live Jazz record I have heard so far,  a great band featuring Herbie Hancock, George Coleman, Ron Carter and the then 19 year old Tony Williams deliver a stunning performance but it is Miles himself who is absolutely top drawer.  

Available on Tidal, Quboz, Spotify, Apple Music and also You Tube.

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

After a first listen very enjoyable Bert the fisrdt track KKPD was not the best opener IMO and left me slightly confused but from that point on the rest of the record was excellent especially Isadora and The Last Broken Heart both of which contained some exceptionally restrained  trumpet playing. 

I will definitely listen to this record again and hopefully enjoy it more the second and third times.

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Hook

I’ve enjoyed quite a few of Greg Drygala’s jazz recommendations from his excellent blog called Jazzpress. This evening, I will be listening to three bands he reviewed in the latest issue of HiFi Critic:  Espen Eriksen Trio, Oddgeir Berg Trio, and Shake Stew. All are available via Tidal.

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Bert Schurink
Hook posted:

I’ve enjoyed quite a few of Greg Drygala’s jazz recommendations from his excellent blog called Jazzpress. This evening, I will be listening to three bands he reviewed in the latest issue of HiFi Critic:  Espen Eriksen Trio, Oddgeir Berg Trio, and Shake Stew. All are available via Tidal.

Thanks - two of them I know, however Shake Stew is new and I will test that...

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Bert Schurink
Bob the Builder posted:

After a first listen very enjoyable Bert the fisrdt track KKPD was not the best opener IMO and left me slightly confused but from that point on the rest of the record was excellent especially Isadora and The Last Broken Heart both of which contained some exceptionally restrained  trumpet playing. 

I will definitely listen to this record again and hopefully enjoy it more the second and third times.

The first number is about police violence. Where they on just bright day pool him out of a car and almost shoot him, just because he is black. With this background you might hear better what he tries to expresss with the Horn, while there are better live versions of this song......

Posted on: 27 June 2018 by Bob the Builder
Bert Schurink posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

The first number is about police violence. Where they on just bright day pool him out of a car and almost shoot him, just because he is black. With this background you might hear better what he tries to expresss with the Horn, while there are better live versions of this song......

Sometimes my brain does need a few listens to get a handle on the actual mechanics of a song and then I'm able to feel the emotion conveyed.  No doubt this lad is an exceptional musician Bert and I'm happy that you have introduced me to his music I will enjoy searching out his other material so thank you and again great choice.

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by Jeroen20

I don’t have time tomorrow to post anything. Therefore, I’m posting next weeks suggestion today. 

For next weeks jazz album I have chosen Kenny Garrett’s ’Songbook’. Kenny Garrett (alto sax) is a name I don’t see often on this forum. Kenny Garrett was born in 1960 in Detroit. Garrett has performed with great names such as Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Freddie Hubbard, Woody Shaw, and the Ellington orchestra.

When I first heard this album in 1997 I thought that Kenny would be the biggest name in jazz by now (at least amongst the horn players). But somehow that didn’t happen. He certainly has made some very good albums.

This album is a jazz quartet album with Kenny Kirkland on piano, Jeff Watts on drums and Nat Reeves on bass. Al songs are compositions of Kenny Garrett. What I like about this album is that you can hear both the style of the past (be bop / hard bop) as a fresh new approach to jazz.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think of this album.

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by Bert Schurink
Jeroen20 posted:

I don’t have time tomorrow to post anything. Therefore, I’m posting next weeks suggestion today. 

For next weeks jazz album I have chosen Kenny Garrett’s ’Songbook’. Kenny Garrett (alto sax) is a name I don’t see often on this forum. Kenny Garrett was born in 1960 in Detroit. Garrett has performed with great names such as Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Freddie Hubbard, Woody Shaw, and the Ellington orchestra.

When I first heard this album in 1997 I thought that Kenny would be the biggest name in jazz by now (at least amongst the horn players). But somehow that didn’t happen. He certainly has made some very good albums.

This album is a jazz quartet album with Kenny Kirkland on piano, Jeff Watts on drums and Nat Reeves on bass. Al songs are compositions of Kenny Garrett. What I like about this album is that you can hear both the style of the past (be bop / hard bop) as a fresh new approach to jazz.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think of this album.

Good suggestion, indeed quite amazing that by now he is not yet arrived in the top 10 players in jazz. The album, like his others are very enjoyable to listen to.

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

Another great suggestion  I particularly liked the different tempos on this record and the fact that more attention was paid to the song and the melody rather than just a showcase of Garrett's playing skills.

I thought Kenny Kirkland was also excellent his piano playing on Brother Hubbard was particularly excellent.

I will play it through my system in a day or so and give it a proper listen but first impressions are excellent.

Thanks Jeroen20 for another excellent choice.                                                                                                                                                       

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by seakayaker

Enjoyed Kenny's 'Songbook' album, actually liking the 2nd half of the album with some of the slower paced songs more than the opening track. "Before It's Time to Say Goodbye" was my favorite track.  

Being this is the first time I have listened to Kenny and this album, I will need to give it a couple of more spins and try another of his albums.  

Also enjoying the theme of the thread, thanks for starting it up Bob.

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by DrMark

I have always been partial to these 2 ever since I got them many years ago. (As well as many others)

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by Bob the Builder
seakayaker posted:

Enjoyed Kenny's 'Songbook' album, actually liking the 2nd half of the album with some of the slower paced songs more than the opening track. "Before It's Time to Say Goodbye" was my favorite track.  

Being this is the first time I have listened to Kenny and this album, I will need to give it a couple of more spins and try another of his albums.  

Also enjoying the theme of the thread, thanks for starting it up Bob.

I think that as Bert and I have already chosen a record then as the third poster on this particular record that seakayaker should pick our  next record.

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Monster

+1 for Ugetsu

BB

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

I listened to the Kenny Garrett songbook again last night and he does get a bit carried away on some tracks and reminds me a bit of Art Pepper in that respect but when he holds back a bit his playing is really exceptional.

For me this was almost a fantastic record and I really love his tone I will definitely be seeking out more Kenny Garrett.

Posted on: 09 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

Seeing as seakayaker has not yet posted his choice I will post one of my own and let him choose one later.

Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land - Blue Note ( 841690 -1966

Although released in July of 1966 (as England were winning the World Cup) it had actually been recorded over two years before in February 1964.  All five tracks were written by Morgan and IMO is a better than his  bigger hit The SideWinder which though released before was actually recorded after SFTNL .

Side Men

Have a Listen and tell me your views.

Posted on: 10 July 2018 by Jeroen20

I am a big fan of Lee Morgan. Love his hard bop style of playing. SFTNL is indeed a great record. I'm not sure if I like it more than SideWinder. The Sidewinder has Joe Henderson on sax which is also very good.

Posted on: 10 July 2018 by Jeroen20

While watching the game, I also listened to ‘The SideWinder’ and ‘The Gigolo’. Both of these albums are in a quintet setting, whereas ‘Search for the new land’ is in a sextet setting. I prefer the quintet setting with Lee Morgan. Although I am also a fan of Grant Green, I feel that his guitar doesn’t ‘integrate’ that good. I don’t know why. But, it’s still a good album which I enjoy listening to.

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Brilliant

The great Lee Morgan, how about the sweet Cornbread - big star lineup and four of five compositions by Morgan. Recorded in 1965 and released 1967. The sound pops on the 192_24 Blue Note remaster!

Lee MorganTrumpet

Herbie HancockPiano

Billy HigginsDrums

Jackie McLeanAlto sax

Hank MobleyTenor sax

Larry RidleyBass

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by al9315

This thread is becoming expensive !?

I am pretty sure I saw Kenny Garrett with Miles Davis in Hammersmith circa 1990?

I have ordered that CD + Ugetsu + Cornbread + Search for the New Land + a few others which appeal to me

I do like Lee Morgan's playing - there was a TV programme a few years ago, where he featured, which led to the purchase of Sidewinder

Looking forward to hearing some more soon !

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

The film ‘ I Called Him Morgan’  is a great piece of film making and well worth a watch. 

I really like Sidewinder, Cornbread, Candy and most of Lee Morgan’s work but it was the very atmospheric intro ISONL the opening track to the record that initially got me into Lee Morgan and so it’s still a favorite. 

Hard to believe he was only 18, 19 when he first burst onto that scene. 

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by AndyP19

Sixth Sense and the Last Session albums are my favourites, recorded in the early 70’s they give some indication as to where Lee might have taken things.

Sad loss - shot my his wife as I recall.

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

As JEROEN20 has already picked us a record for Jazz Corner as the next poster if BRILLIANT would like to choose he is welcome. 

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Brilliant

I gravitate toward the pretty ones - how about one you do not see often, Clark Terry: Color Changes. Recorded in 1960 and released in 1961 by Candid. 5 out the 7 compositions are by Terry. Nice spacey arrangements and interplay:

Clark Terry - trumpet, flugelhorn

Yusef Lateef - tenor saxophone, flute, English horn, oboe

Seldon Powell - tenor saxophone, flute

Julius Watkins - French horn

Jimmy Knepper - trombone

Tommy Flanagan - piano

Budd Johnson - piano (track 6)

Joe Benjamin - bass

Ed Shaughnessy - drums

https://youtu.be/Y5pW5IhMaP8

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by al9315

Good pick - he really was a great player, am just watching your link just now  as I do not have the disc - thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1965 with Oscar Peterson (p), Ed Thigpen (d), Ray Brown (b)

You tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRNxqyMr1mk

Great stuff !?

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by Brilliant

Great stuff indeed -Thank you.

Incidentally Oscar Peterson was born 1 km from where I live. Here is a wall mural of him in that neighborhood taken on a snowy  afternoon!IMG_3901 [2)

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by French Rooster

jazz bee bop corner should be more appropriate term....