Jazz Corner

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 22 June 2018

A thread for Jazz and music lovers to listen, discover and discuss great Jazz music, if you wish to join in I thought we could pick one record per week to listen to and post our views about. I will choose the first record and then the person who posts first gets to pick the next record simple. 

Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine recorded live on 12.02.1964 at the Philharmonic, NYC.

For me the best live Jazz record I have heard so far,  a great band featuring Herbie Hancock, George Coleman, Ron Carter and the then 19 year old Tony Williams deliver a stunning performance but it is Miles himself who is absolutely top drawer.  

Available on Tidal, Quboz, Spotify, Apple Music and also You Tube.

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by Brilliant

FR - here is  some bepop (with Clark Terry, Dizzy Gillespie, Freddie Hubbard, + Oscar Peterson Qt)! This jam session is from 1980 - The Trumpet Summit meets the Oscar Peterson Big 4. The session outtakes were released on- The Alternate Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...lwsEu_dc1CdXDC7t9_JG

Posted on: 20 July 2018 by French Rooster

I have some Dizzy from late 70’s on lps and enjoy sometimes them.  But i am more modern jazz, debut 70’s and from 90’s to today.

I saw twice Dizzy on the scene, in the 1986/1988 years.  It was fabulous, a real show !

Posted on: 24 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

I have been on my holidays but will catch up and give Clark Terry a listen.  Thanks Brilliant. 

Posted on: 24 July 2018 by al9315

Good thread this - I only have a couple of his albums - 'Live at The Village Gate' & on LP - 'Portraits'

Will get round to investigating a few more soon !

Listening to 'Live at The Village Gate' - just noticed it was recorded when he was almost 70 - sounds great !

Posted on: 25 July 2018 by Brilliant

Agreed -smooth clear sound on the Cheskys. Some other nice CTs - 'In Orbit' with Monk trio from 1958 and Oscar Peterson trio + One from 1964, Oliver Jones trio - Just Friends from 1989, Tubby Hayes with CT - New York Sessions from 1961

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

Finally got around to listsening to Clark Terry - Colour Changes this evening and another great choice I really love that big 60's sound and can imagine all of the young and beautifully dressed Modernists listening to this before heading out on a beautiful Lambretta LD 150.  Great Choice BRILLIANT I had heard of Clark Terry before reading about him in Miles Davis's autobiography last year and after that had only really listened to In Orbit that he did with Monk a couple of years before this. Definetly saved in my favourites for a more in depth listen.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

An AL9315's turn to pick another record if he so wishes.

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by al9315

Trumpeter again I’m afraid ?!

Dusko Goykovich

1st bought the LP Celebration years ago and enjoyed it, got some of his CDs now as well.

Perhaps not challenging enough for some on here, but I do enjoy his playing, and find it really enjoyable late night music, certainly very different from Lee Morgan, Clark Terry & Miles !

Dusko Goykovich    - Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Jimmy Woode         - Bass

Al Levitt          - Drums

Recorded in 1987

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Richard Morris
al9315 posted:

Trumpeter again I’m afraid ?!

Dusko Goykovich

1st bought the LP Celebration years ago and enjoyed it, got some of his CDs now as well.

Perhaps not challenging enough for some on here, but I do enjoy his playing, and find it really enjoyable late night music, certainly very different from Lee Morgan, Clark Terry & Miles !

Dusko Goykovich    - Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Jimmy Woode         - Bass

Al Levitt          - Drums

Recorded in 1987

Very good trumpeter. This one is my favourite:

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Brilliant

I'll throw in one from 1966 - The Duško Gojkovi? Sextet Featuring Sal Nistico And Carl Fontana - Belgrade Blues

https://www.youtube.com/result...ade+blues+%281966%29

the tracks are also available on a CD and on Qobuz as a combo with another nice session from 1961 with Kenny Clarke

Duško Gojkovi?*, Kenny Clarke - Internacionalni Jazz Oktet Duška Gojkovi?a Sa Keni Klarkom

https://www.discogs.com/Du%C5%...lues/release/4616637

Posted on: 02 August 2018 by Monster
Bob the Builder posted:

Seeing as seakayaker has not yet posted his choice I will post one of my own and let him choose one later.

Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land - Blue Note ( 841690 -1966

Although released in July of 1966 (as England were winning the World Cup) it had actually been recorded over two years before in February 1964.  All five tracks were written by Morgan and IMO is a better than his  bigger hit The SideWinder which though released before was actually recorded after SFTNL .

Side Men

Have a Listen and tell me your views.

Some great modal jazz on that one, especially the title track. Another great modal tune is "Tanya" from Dexter Gordan's "One Flight Up".

Posted on: 02 August 2018 by Bob the Builder

I have to confess I have not heard of Dusko Goykovich but then my knowledge of Jazz part of the reason I set up this thread was broaden that knowledge. Thanks for the input AL9315 I will have a listen over the weekend.

Posted on: 02 August 2018 by Monster

Two recordings that I have been listening to a lot lately are Andrew Hill "Point of Departure" and Roy Haynes Quartet "Out of the Evening". Progressive jazz that is still very accessible.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Bob the Builder

Dusko is extremely accomplished player who I may never have heard of if not for this thread so thanks al9315 and the record in question was very easy on the ears and ultimately listenable

but then I found 'Soul Connection' a 1993 record with Eddie Gomez and Tommy Flanagan which is on a whole different level and I will be looking out for a copy.

Back to Celebration it most certainly deserves another listen lets see if it can grab me after another listen.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Bob the Builder

P.S.

Richard Morris as first poster gets to pick the next record.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Richard Morris

Thanks Bob.

I'm going for this one:

Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival by John Handy.

A wonderful live performance with a superb vibe and which is propulsive, emotional, soulful. Great solos from all the band and the blend of sax, violin and guitar is irresistible. Over 40 years on it still sounds wonderful.

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by Bob the Builder

Apologies for not keeping up with  my own thread.....

I listened to this last night and I must confess I had never heard of John Handy the musicianship is second to none cannot reccomend highly enough so thanks Richard.

Posted on: 01 September 2018 by mudwolf

I'll put in my 2 bits worth for Ellington, such a master of melody and mood. Jazz party is a double LP

In his biography when one man left and a new one came in he'd write parts for the new guy, didn't want him to sound like the previous player.  Gave the a few notes or chords and let them have at it so it was always fresh.

Posted on: 05 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

To resurrect the thread I’m going to ask you to listen to

Chet Baker - The Touch of Your Lips 

Steeplechase Records. 

No trumpet or sax acrobatics just beautiful atmospheric jazz from Mt Blue himself. 

Posted on: 14 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

If just noticed that Chet's LP The Touch of Your Lips isn't available on all of the streaming sites so I'll change tis selection to

Chet Baker - She Was Good to Me which is another fine record.

Posted on: 14 September 2018 by al9315

I have about 100 CD/LPs of Chet Baker - somehow missed this one. I do enjoy quite a lot of his later playing 70s/80s so will hunt this one out to buy

"The Touch of Your Lips"  is great, I have the LP, but like most Steeplechase discs, a bit hard to find (particularly at a reasonable price)

"Live In Bologna" recorded in 1985 is well worth a listen with Chet (t), Philip Catherine (g), Jean Louis Rasinfosse (b)