300 DR v 500 DR

Posted by: dave marshall on 05 December 2018

Oh dear, communication today from my ever friendly dealer, to the effect that he will have available, next Spring, a new 500 DR , and guess what, his initial offer, to include a trade in on my 300 DR is, at the very least, interesting. 

Here's the thing though; I'm extremely happy with my present power amp, particularly with the recent introduction of an ND 555.

I'll obviously demo the 500 at home, but I am aware that there's a few folks on here who have done the comparison, and have surprisingly come down in favour of the "lesser" amp, the 300.

So, lot's of time yet for me to decide, but I'd welcome thoughts from anyone who's had both, or who has at least done a home head to head audition.

The fun just never stops, does it?

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Dave J
Chris Dolan posted:
Dave J posted:

Just saw Peter’s post, coincidentally I bought my 300 from him.

I didn't know that  

Yep. Serviced and then DR’d. To add to the story, it  was used by Cymbiosis in their Kudos Titan event as I’d just acquired their 500DR and there was no time to get a replacement. Apparently it drove the 808’s with ease... ????

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Skip

I loved the 300 when I had it.  The 500 is a nice upgrade.  The 500DR is better yet.  I am sure I could live happily with the 300DR.  With the 500DR, it feels like I am at the last stop on the upgrade path.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by jodl

Dave J,

a little off topic: do you know how long is the  minimum length of Chord Music speaker cables to go with the nap 500 dr?  I also have Kudos Titans (707)...

I can´t find any recommendations - with Naca 5 it´s at least 3,5m - but with Chord Music?

Regards,

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

Having heard the 252/300 and 552/500 each on many occasions I am quite clear that if I were ever in a position to further upgrade the electronics I would skip 252/300 as there is just a vibrancy that the 552/500 delivers that the former doesn’t achieve. 

Regards,

Lindsay

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by ChrisSU
jodl posted:

Dave J,

a little off topic: do you know how long is the  minimum length of Chord Music speaker cables to go with the nap 500 dr?  I also have Kudos Titans (707)...

I can´t find any recommendations - with Naca 5 it´s at least 3,5m - but with Chord Music?

Regards,

Chord should be able to advise you on this - their history is closely tied to Naim’s, and they will certainly understand the cabling requirements of Naim amps. Given the price of this stuff, you wouldn’t want to order an extra metre if you didn’t really need it. Having said that, Naim’s 3.5m recommendation is a minimum, with 5 to 10m optimum. 

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Dave J
jodl posted:

Dave J,

Regards,

As Chrissu advises, maybe best to get advice from Chord on the basis that you might be able to retain at least one kidney by not over-buying. I’m using 4m, previously having used 3.4m of Sarum, to cater for all eventualities. Sounds amazing to me.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by analogmusic

the 552 and 500 are unique in the Naim range for their ability to eliminate noise from the signal earth... other than the mighty statement.

The 500 and 500 DR do this by the bridge amp methodology, the signal negative which contains return currents from the speaker cones is removed from the system, as it is basically 2 amps connected with inverse polarity to each other.

which is why when driving a difficult load, the 500 sounds completely effortless and at ease, whereas the 300 DR when pushed sounded stressed and running out of headroom.

with an easier load, it may not be that apparent at lower volumes.

However the 500 has the ability to completely remove noise which comes from the speaker (return currents from the cones movement), and it is that ability which costs so much money, the increased power is a by product of the bridged amplifier mythology.

the 552 also completely eliminates noise from signal earth by using a unique power supply arrangement, and that is why the combination of both 552/500 sounds much better than the lesser brethren.

I would only upgrade my 282/250 DR to a 552/500..... even though I can clearly hear the 252/300 is better.

it's about money and at the price point 252/300 is very difficult to beat in terms of PRAT and refinement at the same time. 

Of course the 552/500 need the best sources available.....

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by fathings cat

I get the “ skip the 252/300 and go for 552/500”  prior to the DR upgrade but I found the DR Supercap really made the 252 work. For me it’s still a fine combination.

Gary

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by dave marshall

Well, as we approach the end of the festive season, and, having eaten to excess over Christmas, I need only get New Year out of the way, before embarking on my "beans on toast diet" between then and early April, when my dealer will be setting up a home demo of a new 500 DR ................... nothing will be decided until then, but the betting seems heavily in favour of a purchase!

Anyway, trust you all had a smashing Chrissy, and aw ra best furra New Year tae ye all fae me. 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by MDS

I will (mostly) look forward to your reports, Dave.  

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Ron Toolsie
Chris Dolan posted:

There is a gorgeous symbiosis between the NAC552/552PS DR and the NAP500/500PS DR. The 300 DR is great of course but the 500 is sublime - it is just right  

This 'symbiosis' is that the whole truth is greater than the sum of its parts. The 552 shines brightest when coupled with the 500. I have referred to this previously as the 552/500 as a very heavy 4-box integrated amp. Which is not to say that the 552 cannot perform well outside of it.....the 552/150 combo I tried out was nobodies fool and easily destroyed a 112/Supercap/500 that I also (foolishly) tried out. BUT IME a 552/300 does not offer that large slice of magic that the 552/500 does with consummate ease. 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Jonas Olofsson

Like Ron said and no stress regarding Chord Music. Just order the length you need and it will take care for itself.  

552-500-Chord Music is a beautiful combination. 

//Jonas

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Dave J

Yep, Jonas. Too right.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by dave marshall
MDS posted:

No music, Chez Dave, this afternoon, as I'm rebuilding my Fraim, due to the arrival of a set of tall legs, to replace a standard height set in the present setup.

These have been kindly sent to me by an absolute gentleman over on the Fishy place, in return for a donation to the charity of my choice, which does help restore one's faith in the good guys out there.

But why, dear reader, do I need an additional set of tall legs?

Who knows? 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Zackwater

On Friday Tyler is coming down for an installation of a 500dr/555 trading in my 300/nds been on order since August.  Can’t wait.   

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Gazza

Zack, I think you might be pleased with the result, enjoy.????

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by MDS
dave marshall posted:
MDS posted:

No music, Chez Dave, this afternoon, as I'm rebuilding my Fraim, due to the arrival of a set of tall legs, to replace a standard height set in the present setup.

These have been kindly sent to me by an absolute gentleman over on the Fishy place, in return for a donation to the charity of my choice, which does help restore one's faith in the good guys out there.

Who knows? 

I would face a similar constraint. Maybe that's a saviour? 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by dave marshall
MDS posted:
dave marshall posted:
MDS posted:

Who knows? 

I would face a similar constraint. Maybe that's a saviour? 

"Resistance is useless!" ........... to quote Douglas Adams. 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Bob green

Hi everyone,l chose to purchase my Nd555 before l have my 500Drd,lm worried l will loose the lovely ease that the 500 has when playing,and of course another 5 grand,who’s still useing there none Drd 500 and Don’t think they will have the upgrade?.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Clive B
Zackwater posted:

On Friday Tyler is coming down for an installation of a 500dr/555 trading in my 300/nds been on order since August.  Can’t wait.   

That’ll be a lot of running-in to enjoy then. I had the DR upgrade done to my NAP500 just before ordering the ND555. I assume the general improvement over time has been both boxes running-in together. Of course, you’ll have three boxes running-in at the same time. Musical times ahead in the Zackwater household!

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by 911gt3r

Hi Bob.

My 6 year old non DR has developed an intermittent gremlin in the last few weeks and I am now waiting for my late January slot for repair/service/DR upgrade at HQ. In the meantime my dealer Alistair@Signals kindly lent me their 500DR so I had music over Christmas.

The 500 DR is more of everything, but I would say insight and authority are the first words that spring to mind. It is a no brainer tbh....????????

ATB Peter 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Nagual
Bob green posted:

Hi everyone,l chose to purchase my Nd555 before l have my 500Drd,lm worried l will loose the lovely ease that the 500 has when playing,and of course another 5 grand,who’s still useing there none Drd 500 and Don’t think they will have the upgrade?.

I’m in the exact same situation. There are nothing but positives to be heard about the DR and each one I’ve dine has be great. When funds allow I will move on it but im in no rush. Hopefully this year  

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Bob green

Hi Nagual,my 552 has been Drd,and l have 2x 555 Drd ps for the ND555,just the 500 to be done.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Nagual

I’m sure the 500 will be the icing on the cake ????????

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Bart
Zackwater posted:

Let us have a full report, and take photos if Tyler is willing!