300 DR v 500 DR

Posted by: dave marshall on 05 December 2018

Oh dear, communication today from my ever friendly dealer, to the effect that he will have available, next Spring, a new 500 DR , and guess what, his initial offer, to include a trade in on my 300 DR is, at the very least, interesting. 

Here's the thing though; I'm extremely happy with my present power amp, particularly with the recent introduction of an ND 555.

I'll obviously demo the 500 at home, but I am aware that there's a few folks on here who have done the comparison, and have surprisingly come down in favour of the "lesser" amp, the 300.

So, lot's of time yet for me to decide, but I'd welcome thoughts from anyone who's had both, or who has at least done a home head to head audition.

The fun just never stops, does it?

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by nigelb

We also still await a report from the OP.

Come on Dave!

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by dave marshall
nigelb posted:

Come on Dave!

I won't be having the home demo until after Geoff's annual show in April, so a wee while to wait yet.

Mind you, all bets are now off, since I let slip earlier in the thread that I've now managed to get hold of an additional tall Fraim level.

Yes, I do pride myself on having free will ............................. yet, having a dealer who regularly thinks outside the box, it's the sheer

inevitability of things that I can't deal with! 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

Well I’ve heard the 300 and 500 on more than a few occasions and I prefer..................

The Strat (Fender) posted:

Well I’ve heard the 300 and 500 on more than a few occasions and I prefer..................

The NAP 250DR! 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Alley Cat
The Strat (Fender) posted:

...what works for you :-)

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Zackwater

Just finished listening to a Disturbed “Sound of Silence” on my current 300dr/nds/552.  The 500dr/555 better be really special.  

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by living in lancs yearning for yorks
dave marshall posted:
nigelb posted:

Come on Dave!

I won't be having the home demo until after Geoff's annual show in April, so a wee while to wait yet.

Mind you, all bets are now off, since I let slip earlier in the thread that I've now managed to get hold of an additional tall Fraim level.

Yes, I do pride myself on having free will ............................. yet, having a dealer who regularly thinks outside the box, it's the sheer

you mean it's dangerous letting him lend me a 552 later this week?

living in lancs yearning for yorks posted:
dave marshall posted:
nigelb posted:

Come on Dave!

you mean it's dangerous letting him lend me a 552 later this week?

It certainly is, since, if he's your regular dealer, you'll already know that he has this habit of coming up with offers which are simply too good to turn down .................... still, it's only money. 

Have managed to resist his offers so far! Happy to report that the loan of the 552 comes with a full trip down and rebuild of the system...

Have managed to resist his offers so far! Happy to report that the loan of the 552 comes with a full trip down and rebuild of the system...

Lilyy, the 552 is very special, as you know. I hope you have the funds earmarked, as it will be a very frustrating experience.

Have fun.

dave marshall posted:
nigelb posted:

Come on Dave!

Ah, OK Dave, I thought the trial of the 500DR was imminent.

Well you will just have to slum it with your 300DR in the meantime.

nigelb posted:
dave marshall posted:
nigelb posted:

Come on Dave!

Ah, OK Dave, I thought the trial of the 500DR was imminent.

Well you will just have to slum it with your 300DR in the meantime.

It's a tough job, but someone ................. etc. etc. 

nigelb posted:

Lilyy, the 552 is very special, as you know. I hope you have the funds earmarked, as it will be a very frustrating experience.

Have fun.

Ah well, I have seen many, many people over the years say that the 552 is very special, but I have never heard it compared with anything else. I have heard it in a friend’s system and at a couple of dealer dems over the years, but I need to be convinced

nigelb posted:

Have fun.

Ah well, I have seen many, many people over the years say that the 552 is very special, but I have never heard it compared with anything else. I have heard it in a friend’s system and at a couple of dealer dems over the years, but I need to be convinced

Absolutely right, and you are doing the right thing with a proper home demo. I heard the 552 (that I know own) at my dealer (with a similar system to my own) just before bringing it home. It sounded so much better at home in familiar surroundings, system and playing my own music. Do give it a couple of days to settle in at home and it is great that you are getting a full Fraim/system rebuild at the same time.

As I have always said, when contemplating spending these kind of sums of money, a lengthy home demo is a must.

Geoff is insisting on a full strip and rebuild as part of the loan of the 552. Has found this increases the chance of a sale. Substantially. Oops

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

The closest I have come to personally with the Nac552  - is with the Nac72. The other black boxes don't come close in terms of musical involvement.

Geoff is insisting on a full strip and rebuild as part of the loan of the 552. Has found this increases the chance of a sale. Substantially. Oops

Told ya! 

As mentioned earlier ............ resistance is useless!

Seriously though, everything I've ever loaned / bought from him has been fetched over from Chester to North Yorks, (oops, sorry), for a full install, which, together with his strategy to make the purchase relatively painless financially, means that his guidance throughout the merrie danse of upgrades has been well received by me. 

Even easier for me - I am in Preston, not that far from where Pete, Geoff’s colleague, lives

Let us know how you get on with the 552, LILYFY.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Zackwater

Well it’s in.  552/500dr/555 and Ansuz d2.  Holy ****!1

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by nigelb

Zack, do you mind me asking if the 500DR and ND555 went into your system at the same time or did you introduce one first , then the other. I guess I am trying to understand if you can disentangle the contribution the 500DR and the ND555 made independently of each other?

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Gazza
nigelb posted:

Zack, do you mind me asking if the 500DR and ND555 went into your system at the same time or did you introduce one first , then the other. I guess I am trying to understand if you can disentangle the contribution the 500DR and the ND555 made independently of each other?

I would guess @Nigelb they went in together, it would be hard to resist since Zack had already decided. I heard at Audio show east active 300 into Kudos 707 or 808 in 2017 vs the same speakers with a 500. I preferred the 500 it just sounded so right, and I am a 300 owner.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Zackwater
nigelb posted:

I replaced the 300dr with the 500dr and replaced the nds with the 555 at the same time. So who know what was the big difference.  I imagine it was both plus upgrading my powder distribution unit with the Ansuz d2.  I think in this hifi stuff you are only as good as your weakest link.  I’m tickled to death AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING BROKE IN. Tyler comes through again. 

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Bart
Zackwater posted:
nigelb posted:

I replaced the 300dr with the 500dr and replaced the nds with the 555 at the same time. So who know what was the big difference.  I imagine it was both plus upgrading my powder distribution unit with the Ansuz d2.  I think in this hifi stuff you are only as good as your weakest link.  I’m tickled to death AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING BROKE IN. Tyler comes through again. 

Very cool Zack - congrats!  Tyler is awesome.  

Did he sell you the Ansuz D2? What did it replace?  Ive been using the Audience PDC for a few years now but with incoming stuff I'll be out of outlets (it has 6).  Ansuz gets great reviews but I've always been a skeptic as to "hearing" power distribution absent something being really broken.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Zackwater
Bart posted:
Zackwater posted:
nigelb posted:

Very cool Zack - congrats!  Tyler is awesome.  

Did he sell you the Ansuz D2? What did it replace?  Ive been using the Audience PDC for a few years now but with incoming stuff I'll be out of outlets (it has 6).  Ansuz gets great reviews but I've always been a skeptic as to "hearing" power distribution absent something being really broken.

Yes I added the d2, it replaced a Nordost Qb8.  Like I said earlier I don’t know which upgrade made the giant difference, it all works together and I’m really happy with the upgrades.