Room Acoustics Guide.

Posted by: 911gt3r on 15 December 2018

Dear Forum.

I have used the Search Function here to learn about room acoustics, but found that previous posts on the subject are both scarce and with very limited interest strangely. Having also read ongoing posts and forumers replies to various issues people suffer with their speaker/ room interaction has made me realise, that there are clearly people here that know, what they are talking about. I am hoping that this thread could serve as a comprehensive guide to Naimees, who are in the need of help with their listening room issues and who can be bothered about using the search- function in the future.

I myself was lucky with speaker placement in my previous house, as it literally turned out to be plonk and play. I lived with my relatively big listening room ( 4.7x 7.8) very happily with Naim SL2 speakers which were ultimately replaced by PMC Fact 12 speakers, as I found the SL2s sounding a bit to lean simply because the space was too big for them firing the long way down the room. The PMCs very much have the qualities of the SL2s ( transparency, speed) , but additionally can produce some earth shakingly deep and clean bass being a front ported transmission line design.

As I recently retired my wife and I decided to move to a smaller new build house, where I was lucky enough to have a didicated listening room ( for clarification my avater should give you an idea of layout).

Now this is where my problems started ????. The room is 3.5Wx6.0Lx2.4H. Speakers are placed 1.6 mtrs in front of bifold glass doors. Listening position is 3.2 mtrs from the Facts. Walls is a particular low density plasterboard drylined ie a 20mm gab to solid wall behind them enabling some bass absorption. Floor is suspended concrete and although feeling very solid it has got a slightly boomy sound to it when you jump up and down ( and that I have been in sheer frustration and Interspersed with foul language). Due to being a low energy modern construction having to comply with modern building regs the plaster board ceiling has 200 mm of rockwool battens placed between the wooden joists above it. This means on the old clapping test, that the room is far from bright. However on the flip side the room has proven not to be able to absorb the pressurisation/ energy induced by my much loved Fact 12s this resulting in too much bass/ bass boom.

Beyond head scratching and throwing all my the toys out of the pram the last couple of weeks has given me an opportunity to read up on room acoustics and watching a lot of Dennis Foley’s videos @acousticfields.com. These very instructive short videos explain the fundamentals of room and speaker interactions and have helped me a lot to in simple terms understand, what is at play in there. Essentially you don’t have to have an engineer’s grey matter to understand, what he is talking about ( suits my little brain to a T).

Initially the sound was literally so bad I could have cried and ‘ The baby nearly got flushed out with the bath water’. Reassurance was on tap from other Forum members and Foottapper’s suggestion as to using Gaia III feet elimated 90% of the vibrational influency from the floor.

An intesting observation was the influence ( or not as case ended up) of the bifolds behind my speakers. I essentially opened them right up to work out at what point the didn’t interfere with the sound from my speakers. This probably also helped by the Facts being front ported turned out to be 1.5 metres in front ( measured from front baffle) and at that point the sound evened out to also produce a fine tonal balance.

I initially used Dynaudio’s rule of thumb namely dividing the room square up into 1/5th as a good starting point. Ie neither listening position nor speaker placement baffle to rear wall and side wall within the 1/5th distance. This will ofcourse mostly apply to a floorstanding design I guess. It certainly worked well. My speakers drive unit- centre is now an equal 85 centimetres from the side walls and with a 20mm toe in to establish a good soundstage but also to reduce the impact of first reflection. In addition I am using 2 GIK Acoustics panels to dampen first reflection. These particular panels both diffuse and absorb at the same time to prevent mid/ highs loosing too much energy and actually even look nice.

I have managed to even out most of the excessive bass by literally standing in each corner of the room and listen ( YEP, bonkers hobby this ????). I found that keeping absorption at the listening end to a minimum served the mids and highs not to loose energy- otherwise the overall sound became flat and lifeless without sparkle. This could ofcourse in most cases be achieved by soft furnishings/ curtains etc. In my case this wasn’t sufficient, so I installed 2 GIK Acoustics tri trap absorbers on top of each other in the corner behind my listening position, but strangely only had to do one corner- use your ears for where you feel the need to reduce bass lift/ boom. ( even get down on your knees and listen- at that point my dear wifey was beginning to fear for my sanity admittedly) 

The speaker end ( dead end rule literally ruled in my case) proved to be the biggest challenge beyond moving the speakers round first in big chunks ( a foot) and then in the end literally millimetres at a time. Once you find the best compromise in the first place for placement, make sure to mark that point say with decorators tape on the floor. It is actually difficult to remember how something sounded half an hour ago. I found that I always managed to end up at that same place again, so there must be something to be said for going with your first instinct

After having achieved a very good bass reponse for both overall resolution and decay a 100 hz mode decided to pop its ugly face up. This is a distinct lift from the deepest string on an acoustic guitar or say a double bass being played. To this effect I have experimented with Hofa bass traps from Thomann.de. These are specifically tuned to be most efficient at around a 100 Hz and after having realised , that they need to fill in the corner full height floor to ceiling stacked on top of each other to work properly, I am now receiving 2 more on Monday. They are very heavy and slightly cumbersome, but really work in the speaker end corners ( Check my profile for pics). 

I shall report back next week, but after the last couple of weeks desperately hoping that I would achieve the best compromise with my somewhat tricky new listening space , I really hope it will be mission accomplished . It would great if you guys would chip in, so maybe we can tap into each others experiences with the for most of us tricky speaker/ room interaction and viable solutions. In my case I never imagined it would so difficult to eke out my issues, but on the flip side I am chuffed to have persevered instead of of chucking my speakers in the skip.

Thanks Fellas ???????? ATB Peter

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by marcusman

Sloop John B posted:

“Home audio fidelity” get very positive reports over on the Roon forum. From my reading of such posts sorting major issues physically and then tweaking with DSP gives the best solutions. 

Basically you measure your room, send the results to HAF and they create a DSP curve which can be added to various software (including Roon). 

.sjb

I'm a big fan of Home Audio Fidelity.  Fantastic results for my system.  

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by J.N.

Ah; that evokes the description of the Earth in The Hitch-Hiker's Guide, SJB.

Peter - I am following this thread with interest. I'll call you.

John.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by whsturm

I'd love to see an edition of 'Location, Location, Location' where room acoustics were the deciding factor in choosing a house. It would give Kirsty and Phil a different challenge to their normal one. Perhaps something like 'no wall to measure the same length as any other to help avoid reverberations'? Indeed I'm not sure what the perfect specification is for an audiophile's ideal room (if you were to be in the lucky position of having a house built from scratch)?

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by GraemeH
whsturm posted:

I'd love to see an edition of 'Location, Location, Location' where room acoustics were the deciding factor in choosing a house. It would give Kirsty and Phil a different challenge to their normal one. Perhaps something like 'no wall to measure the same length as any other to help avoid reverberations'? Indeed I'm not sure what the perfect specification is for an audiophile's ideal room (if you were to be in the lucky position of having a house built from scratch)?

We moved last year and it was a significant consideration for me.

G

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by rsch

Hi Peter,

It's nice to see you again, congratulations for the yellow toy, mine is a little more sissy.

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by MDS
GraemeH posted:
whsturm posted:

We moved last year and it was a significant consideration for me.

G

That must have been an interesting conversation with the pointy-shoed, tight-suited, gelled-hair estate agents, Graeme. 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by JimDog

I'm 100% amateur at this game, but there is a thread where the idea of Sonic Triangles came up (play-across-or-along-a-long-sitting-room):

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...-a-long-sitting-room

The idea is that there is a triangle between the listener's head and the speakers.

If you divide the distance between head and speaker by the distance between the speakers (measured from the front of the nearest driver) you get a Sonic Triangulation proportion.

An equilateral triangle would give a measure of 1. But most people seem to be closer to say 1.3 (i.e. speakers are further away from you than from one another).

There is great variation in this proportion depending on whethter you like being closer to the near field or far field, and your room details, system, etc.

(I also know a person who has a £10k Naim system in a room with mainly glass walls and it sounds very tinny in there to me.)

It sounds as though your seat is maybe twice as far from the speakers and they are from one another - which sounds very long to me, compared to 'normal' - see other thread for a few examples (Nigel, Mike B, Racetripper et al).

I would think it's worth moving the listening chair/sofa closer to the speakers if poss - and/or the speakers even further forward and further from the glass doors.

But, as I say, this may either be very well known to you already, or it may be total hogwash! I made it up, so feel free to ignore it if it makes no sense to you.

cheers

Jim

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Hi JIMDOG.

I know the tinny sound you are referring to. I think this is created by a reflection first/ second and should in theory be worse if orcurring on a side wall or indeed behind your listening position. I seem to achieve enough diffusion from my listening position and behind due to furniture and curtains, that a mid to high band reflection doesn’t seem to be bouncing back much  towards the windows behind the speakers. This may also be helped by first reflection diffuser panels on the side walls ( using the trusted mirror locator) and also an absorber panel in left corner behind listening position. 

Distance between my speakers is exactly 2/3 of the distance to my listening position. I have tried the 1:1 triangle but although the adverse influences from the room become less of an issue this way, the presentation simply doesn’t suit my ears. Sitting further away seems to smoothen the musical presentation out somehow and the influence of the sidewall reflection also ( within the allowed time domain ) seems to add to the overall live feeling of a recording in an equally positive way.

As Huge has implied above bass bumbs are more difficult to eradicate and will clearly demand both more sizeable and weighty absorption. Great thing is that the bass waves that enter the absorbers get transformed into heat , so I am now waiting for a reduction in our heating bill going forward. It’s WIN WIN.... ????

ATB Peter

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Anybody here know if a Yacca plant ( fairly dense and multitude of leaves) can act as a first reflection scatter/ diffuser tool? 

Sorry meant Yucca palm. There seems to be only split seconds to change a typo or spelling mistake here! ????

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Mulberry

Hi Peter,

in my previous room I used one of these and a ficus alii to acoustically cover a large window. Possibly not the perfect way, but the sound was very similar from both sides of the room. On the right side was that wall-to-wall window and the flowers, the left wall was made of bricks with record- and bookcases in front of it.

Speakers fire high frequencies in a ray out of the front of speaker, which makes predicting where reflections are going to occur fairly straight forward.

However, below 400hz 99% of speakers radiate energy in 360 degrees out of the speaker. Certainly below 300hz you can expect as much bass energy to be coming out of the sides and rear of the speaker as is coming from the front of the speaker.

The bass energy radiating from the front of the speaker arrives at the listener’s ears as a nice clean direct signal. However the bass radiating from the sides and rear will bounce off any nearby surfaces. This reflected signal then arrives at the listener’s ears slightly after (in time) the direct signal. The difference in the time of arrival between direct and reflected signals causes phasing. If the reflected signal arrives in phase with the direct signal it will cause a peak in frequency response, and if it arrives out of phase it’ll cause a dip / reduction In level at a specific frequency - meaning bass will seem to ‘drop out’.

The peaks and dips caused by SBIR can be very significant - and sometimes just as severe as the room modes.

The solution to this is to treat side walls adjacent to speakers and front wall / directly behind speakers.

Speaker positioning plays a massive role here too - in fact you can tune in or out peaks and dips in frequency response using speaker positioning relative to walls / ceiling / floor, and the listening position.

This tweaking of speaker positioning is best done once a room has been treated, so that room modes are properly controlled and not interfering with the search for the best speaker position. However even in untreated rooms playing with speaker locations can bring big improvements.

To really benefit from this process room testing will give the best results - even moving speakers an inch or 2 can vastly change the low frequency response heard at the listening position.

Thanks Mulberry. Just read above extract on Bluefrogaudio- maybe there is hope after all, as I did a 40-20K Hz frequency sweep in the room helped by an iPad App to find a 23 dB difference under 400 Hz between the highest peak at a 100hz and the deepest trough. Ie right in the voice band.

Now, ........ TAXI ???????????? Lovely hobby this, now why didn’t I take up stamp collecting? 

ATB Peter

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by TomSer
911gt3r posted:

Sorry meant Yucca palm. There seems to be only split seconds to change a typo or spelling mistake here! ????

I'm afraid a Yucca won't do anything except some nice decoration.

You need a proper room treatment.

There are nice things out there. Vicoustic makes nice absorbers and diffusers that are living-room and wife compatible.

I use Vicoustic Cinema Round Pro and Vicoustic Multifuser 64. 

I also bought high tech curtains. The curtains are light and let daylight go through. But they are as efficient as heavy acoustic curtains. Swiss technology ;-)

The room treatment made an ENORMOUS uplift in terms in terms of sound quality (check my profile)

Hope this helps

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by ChrisSU

It’s traditional at this time of year for someone to mention that they’ve just put up their Christmas tree, and it has improved sound quality. There’s then been discussion of how a large indoor plant can dissipate sound waves with beneficial effects. Either that, or someone’s had too much sherry while putting up the decorations.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Mike-B

I rigged the christmas tree lights this morning,  but its not changed the SQ.   I've just realised the lights have SMPS wall warts & there's two of them,  but even they have not changed SQ.    So I either must've gone deaf or its an imponderable problem to worry about for the next 2 weeks.    Maybe better if I focused on the gustatory perception of the Islay in the cabinet

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by james n
ChrisSU posted:

It’s traditional at this time of year for someone to mention that they’ve just put up their Christmas tree, and it has improved sound quality.

But as soon as the flashing Xmas lights are switched on all gains are lost...

Hi Chris.

Just found CharieP’s old thread on the subject. It seems to work but was also a smile inducing read. I even commented at the time...... and what did I learn ?????

I purely want to use my palm to reduce the spurious effect I get from the mid/ tweeter hitting my Naim boxes on first reflection. On closer listening the combined diffuser/ absorber panel I was using seemed to suck some volume out of the left channel tweeter. I have now moved my 2 absorber panels with front scatter plates down behind the speakers to dampen the effect of the bifolds. As I have yet to receive my Hofa absorbers from Germany I will wait with measuring the effect till they are in place. I am also going to experiment with listening sofa and speaker distance to front wall over Christmas.

As a precaution I have placed an online order for red wine should everything else fail ! ???????? ATB Peter

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by ChrisSU
james n posted:
ChrisSU posted:

It’s traditional at this time of year for someone to mention that they’ve just put up their Christmas tree, and it has improved sound quality.

Battery powered LEDs are the way forward! (Unless you’ve got a spare Hicap kicking around ????)

Hi Tomser.

Your room looks great and I’m very impressed with your attention to your cable dressing. Your room treatment looks also very much in keeping with your contemporary interior.

However you are lucky in the sense that you are damping the influence of a bright room, whereas I am trying to minimise a nasty room mode in an already darkish sounding room ( more difficult scenario). I even think that I might have to kick some life into my limited space by using some Q7d panels from GIK Acoustics ( pure diffusion with little or no signal loss).

On that cheerful note Peter

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by nigelb
ChrisSU posted:
james n posted:
ChrisSU posted:

Battery powered LEDs are the way forward! (Unless you’ve got a spare Hicap kicking around ????)

Indeed. I didn't realise my new LED Xmas tree lights were battery powered until I opened them up at home. After being somewhat annoyed, I have discovered that the low power LEDs seem to last for ages with just a couple of AA batteries and no pesky SMPS to worry about.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Mulberry

Hi Peter,

to add a little background to my previous post: both my previous and current rooms had acoustic issues. None of them similar to the ones you mentioned in the opening post, which is why I initially refrained from posting.

My current room seems to be a habitable bass trap with way too much glass and high/mid frequency reflections. I have six small absorbers (Fast Audio Mini Designs) on the side walls and two diffusers (Artnovion Douro) on the wall behind the speakers. For this application 1D diffusers seem to be preferable to 2D ones like the Hofas, which I was about to get myself. A 1D diffuser keeps most of the reflections in the same horizontal plane, whereas a 2D type directs some towards ceiling and floor. As high frequencies from above are perceived different from the same ones from ear height, this should be considered (I have an article about this somewhere).

My previous room was asymmetrical in both layout and construction. Sort of L-shaped with a lot of glass and drywall on one side and traditional brick and mortar on the other. As I regard diffusers in front of a window as visually offensive, I placed two large plants there. Both my ears and a professional room measurement agreed on their effectiveness.

Diffusers from Artnovion, Hofa etc. are more predictable in what they do, but might not be a good choice visually. At least not everywhere.

I hope you get your acoustic sorted out.

Thank you Mulberry.

For clarity ( no pun intended) I have now placed 2 GIK acoustics panels, which are 100 mm thick broadband absorbers with diffuser plate at the front. My lightweight curtains are now hiding one each side with only the mid window exposed for light ( hence the room is named the man cave by my wife- must remember to get some fresh air in there from time to time ????)

In front of the curtains in the corners I will have 2+2 Hofa bass traps I believe weighing 16 kilos each. I would agree that they are not really a sight to behold, but I must try and dampen that 12 DB rise ( this even followed by an 10 DB ‘ suck out’) I am experiencing at around 100 Hz. This will affect any speaker playing in my room and beyond that I do know, what the Fact 12s are capable of and am dtermined to get them to work.

Additionally I am contemplating putting Q7e GIK 2 each side ( ie 4 panels forming into120x 100 cm of coverage on first reflection. These are I believe a 1D diffuser scattering in the horizontal plane only. This should maintain a live end scenario in the listening end of the room assisting in creating a wider soundstage without loss of mid- high frequency energy. I suspect it is the rockwool infill over my plasterboard ceiling, which contributes  to its dark sounding character. 

I will start afresh with speaker placement once my stuff arrives. I will have to change the distance between my sofa and my speakers somehow also, as a 3.5 metres sound wave= 100 Hz. I have never actually come across a room like this in the 40 years I have been playing with hifi, but hey...........???? ( at least I am learning something new every day).  All the best Peter

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Hi Mulberry.

Just checked the products you have got. It very much seems that mainland European companies manage to get their products to look a lot more domestically acceptable- a lot of stylish products indeed! 

How did their products work for you? ATB Peter

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by kevin J Carden

Hi Peter,

Probably a dumb question, but I assume you’ve tried the speakers firing across the room to see if that might be better? 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Hi Kev. 

Problem with Fact 12s is that they prefer to be at least 4 feet from front baffle to rear wall- not that I mind sitting out in hall way of course! ???? ATB Peter