Room Acoustics Guide.

Posted by: 911gt3r on 15 December 2018

Dear Forum.

I have used the Search Function here to learn about room acoustics, but found that previous posts on the subject are both scarce and with very limited interest strangely. Having also read ongoing posts and forumers replies to various issues people suffer with their speaker/ room interaction has made me realise, that there are clearly people here that know, what they are talking about. I am hoping that this thread could serve as a comprehensive guide to Naimees, who are in the need of help with their listening room issues and who can be bothered about using the search- function in the future.

I myself was lucky with speaker placement in my previous house, as it literally turned out to be plonk and play. I lived with my relatively big listening room ( 4.7x 7.8) very happily with Naim SL2 speakers which were ultimately replaced by PMC Fact 12 speakers, as I found the SL2s sounding a bit to lean simply because the space was too big for them firing the long way down the room. The PMCs very much have the qualities of the SL2s ( transparency, speed) , but additionally can produce some earth shakingly deep and clean bass being a front ported transmission line design.

As I recently retired my wife and I decided to move to a smaller new build house, where I was lucky enough to have a didicated listening room ( for clarification my avater should give you an idea of layout).

Now this is where my problems started ????. The room is 3.5Wx6.0Lx2.4H. Speakers are placed 1.6 mtrs in front of bifold glass doors. Listening position is 3.2 mtrs from the Facts. Walls is a particular low density plasterboard drylined ie a 20mm gab to solid wall behind them enabling some bass absorption. Floor is suspended concrete and although feeling very solid it has got a slightly boomy sound to it when you jump up and down ( and that I have been in sheer frustration and Interspersed with foul language). Due to being a low energy modern construction having to comply with modern building regs the plaster board ceiling has 200 mm of rockwool battens placed between the wooden joists above it. This means on the old clapping test, that the room is far from bright. However on the flip side the room has proven not to be able to absorb the pressurisation/ energy induced by my much loved Fact 12s this resulting in too much bass/ bass boom.

Beyond head scratching and throwing all my the toys out of the pram the last couple of weeks has given me an opportunity to read up on room acoustics and watching a lot of Dennis Foley’s videos @acousticfields.com. These very instructive short videos explain the fundamentals of room and speaker interactions and have helped me a lot to in simple terms understand, what is at play in there. Essentially you don’t have to have an engineer’s grey matter to understand, what he is talking about ( suits my little brain to a T).

Initially the sound was literally so bad I could have cried and ‘ The baby nearly got flushed out with the bath water’. Reassurance was on tap from other Forum members and Foottapper’s suggestion as to using Gaia III feet elimated 90% of the vibrational influency from the floor.

An intesting observation was the influence ( or not as case ended up) of the bifolds behind my speakers. I essentially opened them right up to work out at what point the didn’t interfere with the sound from my speakers. This probably also helped by the Facts being front ported turned out to be 1.5 metres in front ( measured from front baffle) and at that point the sound evened out to also produce a fine tonal balance.

I initially used Dynaudio’s rule of thumb namely dividing the room square up into 1/5th as a good starting point. Ie neither listening position nor speaker placement baffle to rear wall and side wall within the 1/5th distance. This will ofcourse mostly apply to a floorstanding design I guess. It certainly worked well. My speakers drive unit- centre is now an equal 85 centimetres from the side walls and with a 20mm toe in to establish a good soundstage but also to reduce the impact of first reflection. In addition I am using 2 GIK Acoustics panels to dampen first reflection. These particular panels both diffuse and absorb at the same time to prevent mid/ highs loosing too much energy and actually even look nice.

I have managed to even out most of the excessive bass by literally standing in each corner of the room and listen ( YEP, bonkers hobby this ????). I found that keeping absorption at the listening end to a minimum served the mids and highs not to loose energy- otherwise the overall sound became flat and lifeless without sparkle. This could ofcourse in most cases be achieved by soft furnishings/ curtains etc. In my case this wasn’t sufficient, so I installed 2 GIK Acoustics tri trap absorbers on top of each other in the corner behind my listening position, but strangely only had to do one corner- use your ears for where you feel the need to reduce bass lift/ boom. ( even get down on your knees and listen- at that point my dear wifey was beginning to fear for my sanity admittedly) 

The speaker end ( dead end rule literally ruled in my case) proved to be the biggest challenge beyond moving the speakers round first in big chunks ( a foot) and then in the end literally millimetres at a time. Once you find the best compromise in the first place for placement, make sure to mark that point say with decorators tape on the floor. It is actually difficult to remember how something sounded half an hour ago. I found that I always managed to end up at that same place again, so there must be something to be said for going with your first instinct

After having achieved a very good bass reponse for both overall resolution and decay a 100 hz mode decided to pop its ugly face up. This is a distinct lift from the deepest string on an acoustic guitar or say a double bass being played. To this effect I have experimented with Hofa bass traps from Thomann.de. These are specifically tuned to be most efficient at around a 100 Hz and after having realised , that they need to fill in the corner full height floor to ceiling stacked on top of each other to work properly, I am now receiving 2 more on Monday. They are very heavy and slightly cumbersome, but really work in the speaker end corners ( Check my profile for pics). 

I shall report back next week, but after the last couple of weeks desperately hoping that I would achieve the best compromise with my somewhat tricky new listening space , I really hope it will be mission accomplished . It would great if you guys would chip in, so maybe we can tap into each others experiences with the for most of us tricky speaker/ room interaction and viable solutions. In my case I never imagined it would so difficult to eke out my issues, but on the flip side I am chuffed to have persevered instead of of chucking my speakers in the skip.

Thanks Fellas ???????? ATB Peter

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by JimDog

Did you say that there are 2 curtains - one either side of the window behind the sofa with a large gap between them?

That sounds like an uneven reflection space for the sound waves to mingle in after they zoom past you.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Hi Kev. I had a look at your plush listening space- looks divine. 

Hi Jimdog. Good observation that man- there is a 2 foot gap between my curtains behind me and as I have now moved my sofa right back with my head being 1 foot from the window behind, I have ordered a 2x2 foot Artnovion diffuser panel, which can easily be moved onto the window ledge when listening. 

I will report on progress and thoughts soon. ATB Peter

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Folkman
911gt3r posted:

Hi Jimdog. Good observation that man- there is a 2 foot gap between my curtains behind me and as I have now moved my sofa right back with my head being 1 foot from the window behind, I have ordered a 2x2 foot Artnovion diffuser panel, which can easily be moved onto the window ledge when listening. 

I believe for diffusion to work evenly you shouldn't be too near them.  I tried diffusion behind my seating position and did not like the results. Ended up with absorption panels instead. Two GIK monster bass panels with range limiters sitting in the window did the trick without deadening the sound.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Hi Folkman

As per your suggestion I will try an A/B comparison Monday, as the diffuser panel is due to arrive then. My 2 combined diffuser/ absorption panels are now reciding in other places than initially expected ( see pics on profile), but of course it should still be easy to do. My fear is now to introduce more absorption in the listening end of my room, as progress certainly has been made my end. To be continued and ATB Peter

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Hi Folkman.

My polystyrene diffuser arrived an hour ago, and as you suggested with my ears now being 16 inches from a window behind, my combined GIK absorption/ diffuser panel covering the remaining space between the semi pulled curtains wins hands down! Thank you Peter

Sorry forgot your also very good point Jimdog ???????? ATB Peter a ( a 60x120 cms panel now rests on the window ledge and is working a treat).

As much as the last weeks have been a bit of a challenge to say the least, I am happy to now finally experiencing to have my sound back.

As much as I would like to thank people, who have chipped in on this thread ( some very familiar faces included) , I shall refrain from sharing my experience any further. This is by no means driven by sour grapes, which I am great believer, that life is too short for.

However I have found it very puzzling, that I am sat feeling like mr Bean sending himself a Christmas card. Although looking at people’s systems at the system pics thread by HH, I cannot help asking myself : “ Really...” ???. On the other hand we can all walk along holding each others hands so blinkered, that we cannot actually see whose hand we are holding!

As Dusty would say ; “ It’s all good”........ and maybe some aspects of this hobby are best left alone including the most important denominator ‘ The ROOM’  - intriguing indeed! 

Wishing you all the best Peter

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by ayisgroovy

I’ve had similar occurrence in my loft room with nonstandard room dynamics. Suggest you look into adding a quality sub (not just any) such as the REL 212SE (scorn I hear from the traditionalists). Treating the room is one partial solution, filling it with the misssing frequencies is the other through the use of a sub-bass system (as REL calls it). I have a quite high end system NDS/555PSDRx2/552DR/500DR/Stiletto LP12/blahblah, and despite the black box upgrades, each had their small impact on bringing back the low end bass. Adding the 212SE was a shocker and the best upgrade to my system ever - controlled bass lines came back, prat, 3D soundstage, and enhancement of detail. Don’t know exactly what the sub was doing but surely it was filling in the sub-40hz which held all the vital characteristics we are after. Don’t take it from me but suggest a demo of 212s, or at least the S5SHO subs (more portable), and it is an eye(ear) opener!

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

911gt3r, I have come to this thread late, and whilst I have had a reasonable skim through I haven't read everything in full detail so excuse me if I've missed something already covered.

One recommendation is to site the listening position 38% of the distance between front and rear walls - 38% from front wall said to be best, but from the back wall also good.

In my current room, the first to give significant problems out of about 9 different rooms over the years, with complete absence of bass at some frequencies, in my originally planned layout, and resonance at others, I found I had to completely re-arrange. And in doing that I did indeed find that the best listening position approx 38% of the distance from from the front wall, and having quite a large room (~7m x ~7m but oddly shaped) that is where I position myself for flattest response, when serious listening

My speakers (PMC EB1e bass but  with ATC 3" dome mid and different tweeter, so somewhere between IB2 and MB2 in performance) actually sit quite close to the rear wall, which includes a 12ft wide window behind the speakers - but it sounds good. It does need some room treatment (I am holding off as a house move is contemplated), but the bass peaks and nulls are no longer a problem.

I found REW software (free) with a measuring microphone (about £100) invaluable in assessing speaker positioning and room problems. Interestingly GIK Acoustics can accept measurements made with REW to assess what is going on in the room and use that to give free advice on best treatment.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by J.N.

Good to hear that your persistence has paid off and you've cracked it, Peter.

Enjoy - as our friend Ken C would say.

Best wishes to you and the family for Christmas.

John.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Having just noticed that there currently are 2 threads re contemplating new speaker purchase due to poor room interaction with a new room, I cannot help bringing this old chestnut up again.

Any room has a certain tendency to create room modes PURELY based on its dimensions. Adding to this there are obstacles such as nature of sidewalls, floor and ceiling.

What won the game in my challenged room in the end was using Cardas calculations for speaker placement ( with a view to dialling out room modes) using the simple formulas @ cardas.com - click on SET-UP option. There is formulas for literally every scenario re room shape and firing across/ firing along the length of the room. This I used to great effect to the point, where the only acoustic panel I am now using in the listening end is one covering a window right behind my ears. This I am sure could also have been achieved by the use of heavily lined curtains.

This also helped another Forum member, whom I have been in contact with re set up in the last couple of days- he seems very happy. 

Unless the bass issues sits under say 40 hz exactly the same issue will rear its ugly face, whichever other speaker you get to more or lesser extent depending on say how the speaker is vented and quality of the enclosure itself. Also how is the speaker decoupled from the floor?

My recommendation is to simly to PERSEVERE and get your room sorted and use Cardas guide lines, as they really do work!

Ill get me coat but...... DONT GIVE UP! You bought your speakers in the first place because you like what they did/ but can do again. Have fun Peter

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

The Cardas formulae can help done setups, but just as with others they do not necessarily apply to all situations even with the shapes covered - and common problem rooms like L-shaped (one of the recent ones in the forum) - are not covered). And then there are often practical living considerations that preclude ideal placement...  though ideal placement may give a useful starting point.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by 911gt3r

And then there are often practical living considerations that preclude ideal placement...

Indeed IB ATB Peter

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Bart

Thanks Peter - really helpful! I'll just add that Evolution Acoustics (just add .com) have some similarly helpful room setup diagrams and formulas.  

Maybe today I'll get around to actually running REW and seeing what I get.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by JimDog

Glad it's working out well.

fyi I just staggered across this Dutch chap online, who has some technical insights in acoustics: https://www.youtube.com/channe...tuhqPppVp-PD0q17sPEA

Hans Beekhuyzen

also there are some videos on the dynaudio site with their acoustics expert too

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Rob T

First thanks to Peter for the help setting up my speakers in my new listening position using Cardas formula as a starting point. With the help of JN on his visit here yesterday we soon found the sweet spot. As little as 2cm made a significant difference to the overall balance, toe in also made a major impact on sound. I've now got my PMC 20-26 sounding the best I've heard them sound. Their final position is closer to the side walls than the formula but at the same distance from rear wall and with little to no toe-in.

As Peter and others have said, it can't be underestimated how important it is to site speakers correctly in any given room. My advice would be take your time to get it right and if possible two sets of ears can also be a great benefit.

ATB Rob.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by fathings cat

I have been playing around with my PMC Fact 8’s still struggling to find sweet spot....

How far apart did you settle on with yours?

thanks

Gary

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Hi Rob.

Chuffed you got there too- and indeed a fine pair of ears in JN lending you his help. I may speak to John later today I suspect ????

Happy New Year to you Peter

Hi Fathings Cat.

Try to plot your roomwidth measurement into the formula and see what you find. Mine are now exactly where the measurements suggested with a 2 mm toe in front to back.  ( with a 3.5 meter RW in my case 96cm center cone to sidewall and 155cm front baffle to wall behind. In that position everything seemed to fall into place- a real ‘ whoop whoop ‘ moment after faffing for weeks. ATB Peter

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by fathings cat

Thanks Peter, I’ll give it a whirl.

My room is square (ish) 5.38m wide and 5.5m with a 1m x 2.4m built in cupboard (stairs) and quite lively  (large windows left and right, hardwood floors (with a rug) and leather sofa so quite reflective.) 

I’ll see what the website above recommends as starting point for positioning.

Gary

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Hi Peter

I’m delighted that you have managed to crack the problem and that your happiness with the speakers is restored. It’s great that you have achieved it without needing ever more room treatment material - hopefully you can return those you no longer seem to need. With my speakers it’s a matter of sticking them by the wall and that’s pretty much it, but it’s good to know that there are guidelines out there that seem to work without the need to make one’s room look like a lab. 

Enjoy the music!

Thanks HH and Happy New Year to you. ATB Peter