Football Season 2017/18

Posted by: Kevin-W on 11 July 2017

As requested by Steve (Paper Plane) on the 16/17 thread, here's a new one for 2017/18. All leagues/divisions welcome.

Come on you Irons!

Posted on: 27 May 2018 by Bob the Builder
wenger2015 posted:
Penarth Blues posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Penarth Blues posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Yes, great for Fulham, and well deserved.

As for a choice between London and Cardiff, I would choose Cardiff every time...

my nephew used to have a season ticket for Fulham during the Roy Hodgson era, unfortunately never managed to make the trip.....always working sadly 

The 'always working' part has struck a chord with me as I work too much too.

I had a period of time not following Cardiff in the flesh, having been more than slightly put off in the 1970's by spending as much of a match dodging various missiles thrown between the 'fans' as actually watching a game.

Started my season ticket again when my son was young, and we were in League 1, in order to make sure I had dates in my diary when I knew I had to stop working and spend some time with him following the football.  Occasionally it's felt a little bit like child abuse, but mostly it's just been a joy to share time with him and, for the last 10 years or so, my Dad has started coming too, having taken me to my first match v Real Madrid in 1971. We've had a great time together - 3 trips to Wembley (despite not winning either of the finals) and 3 promotions now.

This is a very long-winded way of saying you should have gone to watch the games with your nephew. Fulham is a great little club and they've played some lovely football this season, but mostly because of the times you would have shared together and the work you would have never missed not doing.

I’ve been blessed with a daughter, who I have taken to watch the Arsenal a few times over the years, unfortunately like yourself spent to much time dodging misslies, eventually decided it was safer to watch on the telly. 

Ps  still trying to balance the work and leisure scenario but have slowly learnt the art of diplomatically saying no .... much to the benefit of the grandchildren 

Now all I have to do is find a way to start and finish at a reasonable hour each day...

Yes, still battling with that one...... although I am getting better at prioritising .... which means I manage it more times then not

After years of being in a similar position regarding too much work last Autumn a company offered me the chance to sub contract from them exclusively and because it is on site my hours are now regulated at 7.30 am until 4 pm and I couldn't be happier and after 4 pm my work phone doesn't ring anymore.

Posted on: 28 May 2018 by Christopher_M

I'm late to this and have only read a match report in one of the Sundays. Commiserations to Liverpool fans.

This is no consolation but you have been an incredible attacking side this season. From a Saints fan.

Posted on: 28 May 2018 by wenger2015
Bob the Builder posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Penarth Blues posted:
wenger2015 posted:
Penarth Blues posted:
wenger2015 posted:

As for a choice between London and Cardiff, I would choose Cardiff every time...

my nephew used to have a season ticket for Fulham during the Roy Hodgson era, unfortunately never managed to make the trip.....always working sadly 

I had a period of time not following Cardiff in the flesh, having been more than slightly put off in the 1970's by spending as much of a match dodging various missiles thrown between the 'fans' as actually watching a game.

Started my season ticket again when my son was young, and we were in League 1, in order to make sure I had dates in my diary when I knew I had to stop working and spend some time with him following the football.  Occasionally it's felt a little bit like child abuse, but mostly it's just been a joy to share time with him and, for the last 10 years or so, my Dad has started coming too, having taken me to my first match v Real Madrid in 1971. We've had a great time together - 3 trips to Wembley (despite not winning either of the finals) and 3 promotions now.

This is a very long-winded way of saying you should have gone to watch the games with your nephew. Fulham is a great little club and they've played some lovely football this season, but mostly because of the times you would have shared together and the work you would have never missed not doing.

I’ve been blessed with a daughter, who I have taken to watch the Arsenal a few times over the years, unfortunately like yourself spent to much time dodging misslies, eventually decided it was safer to watch on the telly. 

Ps  still trying to balance the work and leisure scenario but have slowly learnt the art of diplomatically saying no .... much to the benefit of the grandchildren 

Now all I have to do is find a way to start and finish at a reasonable hour each day...

Yes, still battling with that one...... although I am getting better at prioritising .... which means I manage it more times then not

After years of being in a similar position regarding too much work last Autumn a company offered me the chance to sub contract from them exclusively and because it is on site my hours are now regulated at 7.30 am until 4 pm and I couldn't be happier and after 4 pm my work phone doesn't ring anymore.

That’s just rubbing salt into the wound....

Posted on: 28 May 2018 by Wugged Woy
wenger2015 posted:
Penarth Blues posted:
wenger2015 posted:

I’ve been blessed with a daughter, who I have taken to watch the Arsenal a few times ………….

Don't let the social services know. They will have you,  for not bringing her up properly……….

COYS 

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Christopher_M

Zidane resigns at Real Madrid, says Beeb. All very well, but we only signed Hughesie on Monday.

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by wenger2015
Christopher_M posted:

Zidane resigns at Real Madrid, says Beeb. All very well, but we only signed Hughesie on Monday.

He had to go, only one liga title and 3 champions league, it’s just not good enough...

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by MDS

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by MDS

Posted on: 06 June 2018 by Nick Lees

Aston Villa. Gah!

Keeping an eye on the London Gazette today - looks like HMRC have issued a winding up order for our missing tax. Cashflow seems to be the official answer - getting Xia's money out of China. Which might explain other recent news that payments we were expecting to come in for the transfers of Carlos Sanchez and Jordan Amavi, won't be alleviating the issue as the monies were sold to a bank factor last season to pay daily running costs.

Plenty of circling buyers (apparently) but even if they have money their due diligence will take a long time (unless one of them's Mike Ashley...).

So, fire sale time. Looking forward to seeing the Under 23 team blooded next season and a relegation scrap!

Posted on: 06 June 2018 by Nick Lees

And now it turns out that we were due an add on from Burnley for Ashley Westwood, and discounted it to persuade Burnley to pay it early so we could pay last month’s wage bill. Xia has apparently been subbing the club to the tune of £5m a month but the last two payments didn’t arrive. Whether that’s down to him running out of money or the Chinese authorities stamping down on unstrategic foreign capital outflow is a bit moot.

Looks like we’re in deep deep do-do either way.

Posted on: 06 June 2018 by thebigfredc
Nick Lees posted:

And now it turns out that we were due an add on from Burnley for Ashley Westwood, and discounted it to persuade Burnley to pay it early so we could pay last month’s wage bill. Xia has apparently been subbing the club to the tune of £5m a month but the last two payments didn’t arrive. Whether that’s down to him running out of money or the Chinese authorities stamping down on unstrategic foreign capital outflow is a bit moot.

Looks like we’re in deep deep do-do either way.

The state of modern football.

To think it started as a simple game played between two sets of men with a ball and four uprights.