Football Season 2017/18

Posted by: Kevin-W on 11 July 2017

As requested by Steve (Paper Plane) on the 16/17 thread, here's a new one for 2017/18. All leagues/divisions welcome.

Come on you Irons!

Posted on: 17 July 2017 by Christopher_M

Meanwhile The Sun reports that a Virgil van Dijk move to Anfield is back on and that Liverpool is the only club the player wants to move to.

Posted on: 17 July 2017 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:

Meanwhile The Sun reports that a Virgil van Dijk move to Anfield is back on and that Liverpool is the only club the player wants to move to.

If so, the Saints should be charging Liverpool an extra 25% 'tapping-up' charge on top of the transfer fee.

Posted on: 17 July 2017 by Tabby cat
Spudgun posted:

Another Evertonian here. I'm really looking forward to this season. We've bought astutely and we've bought early for a change. Koeman's getting rid of our  "inferiority complex" players. Brought in skillful players with great work-rate, the tempo will be totally different and we won't have to tailor our play to just the one striker. I really like what's happening!

COYB!

Hi Spud,

Whats you views on Rooneys return.Do you think he will a regular starter or more off the bench ?

Icing on the cake for Wayne going home.I know hes lost a bit of pace but still got a lot to offer a team>great skill and vision and experience .

Posted on: 17 July 2017 by Christopher_M
MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

If so, the Saints should be charging Liverpool an extra 25% 'tapping-up' charge on top of the transfer fee.

Saints would deserve triple points on their Nectar card, as a major supplier.

Posted on: 17 July 2017 by Kevin-W
Tabby cat posted:
Kevin-W posted:

Looks like we are getting a Hart transplant....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40625646

Great business if you do Kev.Great keeper why we sent him on lone for Bravo was a bit of a rik.

Well pleased that City have got Kyle Walker from the Spuds......f###ing awesome defender.

Think he will be brilliant, especially as Pep loves his defenders going on the attack.

Cant wait to our first game away to Brighton.....and I have a ticket.

How was the Frapp last weekend ?

Wishing you a good day Kev

Cheers Ian. Hopefully we will get one or both of Marko Arnautavich and Javier Hernandez (although the latter loks unlikely).

The Frapp were brilliant - but you knew I'd say that!

Posted on: 17 July 2017 by Tabby cat

Kev,

Spot on - about the Frapp I never expected anything but a big thumbs up.

On the  latest avater front......any chance of some hauntingly beautiful face reinstated.....I know Syd is a British treasure and all that and of cause it's your call.But from one of your many adoring forum public !!

Was reading a post in HiFI corner this morning which seems to have vanished.

I came to the realisation that the padded cell is actually a place of sanity.

Couldnt believe how some posters get so defensive about their products and then get really nasty if their dac - turntable what ever gets the slightest critism from someone else.

Couldn't help thinking what they have is so ,so far ahead of what your average person listens to,if you like the sound of your product that's all that matters.

It will all probably be in a landfill site in 60 years

Sorry couldn't resist a Monday night rant...3 rd Vodka and Tonic. !

Posted on: 18 July 2017 by Christopher_M

Cuco Martina has signed for Everton. I think he was playing right back on Boxing Day 2015, when he scored this goal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b27Oz7tBy2I forever endearing himself to Saints fans.

Good luck Cuco!

Posted on: 18 July 2017 by Tabby cat

Wishing you all the best Chris for the future with regard  to your redundancy.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you -Sorry didn't add to your redundancy post as so many replies offered brilliant advice.As H.H says it's incredible warming the wisdom and empathy from the Forum 

Wishing the Saints a good season.

Cheers Ian

Posted on: 18 July 2017 by Christopher_M

Thank you, Ian, this is very good of you. As it is of all who have repsonded so generously on the particular redundancy thread. I'm sort of keeping my powder dry at the moment because there are a few irons in the fire and there may be changes/ developments.

I want you to know I supported City as a boy in the Franny Lee-Colin Bell years, basically because I liked the sky blue shirts.

I've always enjoyed working there, including in the Maine Rd days, 'fifteen pounds to look after yer car, mister'. I first worked at the Etihad for the Commonwealth Games in 2002. It was good but the transformation to a football ground was glorious.

As a lensman, I'd say it's the best ground to work in the league. First, there's Rose's tearoom where we all sit at a long table and you can't touch the sandwiches and cakes until you've had your soup. Secondly, it's all run by photographer, 'Hodgie'. Various grounds have suffered over the years where everyone and his mate with a camera was blagging a spot in 'the pits', making it difficult for the genuine guy, who had travelled up from, say, the south coast, and was cutting it a bit fine on kickoff.

Working with the club, Hodgie changed all that. First only the bona fides come in. Second, the away team's club photographer and the lensman from the away team's local paper are allocated a spot each. They are even allocated spots at the other end so that if the teams swap after the toss, I am still going to get the Saints attack. Then he takes all the Press cards from the remaining snappers and there is a lucky dip to allocate who sits where. There are never any complaints and it's always fair in the long run. The wi-fi is also good.

The thing that is nice photographically is that we all sit low, so our lenses have got the pitch at the very bottom of the frame as these pics from my visit last season show: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/spo...ts_at_City_/?ref=rss The pics of the City attack are from the Press Association. All are copyrighted.

I've rambled, Ian, but thanks. Best to City too.

Chris

Posted on: 18 July 2017 by Romi

Rooney return to Everton, I feel will be beneficial to the rest of the team.  He has come home, he's been there, done that, he can offer his experience, it will not be so much as to what he can offer as a footballer on the field, but more what he can offer or show off the pitch.

Posted on: 18 July 2017 by VladtheImpala
Romi posted:

Rooney return to Everton, I feel will be beneficial to the rest of the team.  He has come home, he's been there, done that, he can offer his experience, it will not be so much as to what he can offer as a footballer on the field, but more what he can offer or show off the pitch.

I agree - Rooney has a winning mentality, a strong team ethic and a lot of medals! He has shown with Man U a willingness to sacrifice his individuality for the benefit of his team. He is not the player he once was but is still a very gifted player.

In what position, though? He is a better passer (with either foot), holds onto the ball better, can take a mean free kick or set piece than e.g. Barkley. Attacking midfield??? Lone striker or in a two with Sandro??? 

Let's see if Koeman can figure it out................

Posted on: 19 July 2017 by Tabby cat
Christopher_M posted:

Thank you, Ian, this is very good of you. As it is of all who have repsonded so generously on the particular redundancy thread. I'm sort of keeping my powder dry at the moment because there are a few irons in the fire and there may be changes/ developments.

I want you to know I supported City as a boy in the Franny Lee-Colin Bell years, basically because I liked the sky blue shirts.

I've always enjoyed working there, including in the Maine Rd days, 'fifteen pounds to look after yer car, mister'. I first worked at the Etihad for the Commonwealth Games in 2002. It was good but the transformation to a football ground was glorious.

As a lensman, I'd say it's the best ground to work in the league. First, there's Rose's tearoom where we all sit at a long table and you can't touch the sandwiches and cakes until you've had your soup. Secondly, it's all run by photographer, 'Hodgie'. Various grounds have suffered over the years where everyone and his mate with a camera was blagging a spot in 'the pits', making it difficult for the genuine guy, who had travelled up from, say, the south coast, and was cutting it a bit fine on kickoff.

Working with the club, Hodgie changed all that. First only the bona fides come in. Second, the away team's club photographer and the lensman from the away team's local paper are allocated a spot each. They are even allocated spots at the other end so that if the teams swap after the toss, I am still going to get the Saints attack. Then he takes all the Press cards from the remaining snappers and there is a lucky dip to allocate who sits where. There are never any complaints and it's always fair in the long run. The wi-fi is also good.

The thing that is nice photographically is that we all sit low, so our lenses have got the pitch at the very bottom of the frame as these pics from my visit last season show: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/spo...ts_at_City_/?ref=rss The pics of the City attack are from the Press Association. All are copyrighted.

I've rambled, Ian, but thanks. Best to City too.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks so much for your story working as a photographer with  your working trips at City.Found it very interesting what you said about camara angles for the best pictures and where photographer's get to sit

I often watch  City's channel on YouTube and it always strikes me what a friendly bunch of people they are from the Kitmen,official club photographer's etc.

It's amazing the transformation at City.I remember when Sheik Monsour brought the club and Mark Hughes was the manager and they signed Robiniho who was a huge signing for City.Lovely to see the evolution in the club the last 10 years.

Think City will be on fire this season now the defence has been sorted.

Agree the Ethiad's a beautiful ground love the curvy roof.Apart from 20 trips there over the years to see City as I am from the south coast - saw Oasis there in 2005 - great memory....must have been special for Liam and Noel being massive City fans 

Cheers Ian

Posted on: 22 July 2017 by Christopher_M

City have signed Mendy, Ian, according to Beeb. Big money.

Meanwhile Virgil van Dijk 'trains on his own' at Saints

Posted on: 22 July 2017 by Chris Dolan

Liverpool have signed Hull's defender Andrew Robertson in an initial £8m deal. Robertson is Liverpool's third summer signing following the arrival of Roma winger Mohamed Salah and Chelsea striker Dominic Solanke.

Posted on: 24 July 2017 by Kevin-W

Vamos Hammers indeed!

Posted on: 25 July 2017 by JamieWednesday

I enjoyed Chelsea dismantling Arsenal in the friendly at the weekend. We're usually awful pre-season but I hope this performance sets standards for the season. And the Charity Shield  (which we also sometimes let slip)!

Posted on: 25 July 2017 by MDS

Posted on: 25 July 2017 by Christopher_M

^^^

Posted on: 28 July 2017 by Tabby cat

Thanks MDS,

Brought a big smile about our defence spend.Sad to see Kolorov move on but getting Mendy and Walker should be exciting and Ederson in goal should be tasty -then again I thought that about Bravo this time last season !

Nice business if it pays off.Its a real reflection on how much money is in the game.In a way it's obscene,but the reality is we live in a capitalist world.I suppose when Guidola discussed next season with Sheik Monsour and highlighted what needed to be strengthened it's just another part of his business.He must have spent tens of billions on the airline.Great to have the open cheque book,always made very welcome when he comes to home games.

Good luck to Pompey for next season.Promotion will be a confidence booster for them.

Always loved the Rednapp years at Pompey.Linvoy Primus - David James.....2 lovely Geezer's.Winning the Cup was magic for the town.I also remember a midfielder Mulatari ( sorry if spelling wrong ) who was scoring regularly.

Posted on: 28 July 2017 by MDS

Thanks Tabby Cat. Linvoy is still part of the club. Some sort of unpaid ambassador. Muntari was a good player for us, albeit with a terrible disciplinary record. He's playing in Italy now and you might recall a bit of publicity earlier this year when he walked off the pitch because of racist chanting and the ref booked him for it.

And while we're reminiscing, my memories of City were the stylish days of Bell and Summerbee, plus the canny Francis Lee.  Given the clogging that was allowed back then and the rubbish state of the pitches, the silky skills of those players were really special.  

Anyway, really looking forward to the season and will be fascinated to watch the race for the Premiership again. Great to see so much genuine competition. 

Posted on: 28 July 2017 by Bob the Builder

Sevilla v FC Leipzig  and Arsenal v Benfica tomorrow at the Emirates hopefully a first look at Lacazette and Ozil playing together should be a good day out.

Posted on: 31 July 2017 by thebigfredc

Can't believe Ozil still gets a game - how many seasons will it take before Wenger realises Ozils not suited to English football. 

Posted on: 02 August 2017 by Christopher_M

Neymar!

Posted on: 03 August 2017 by Tabby cat

Neymar !

The personification of the game being a wash with money.

Awesome player - but £40 million a year salary WTF !

Posted on: 03 August 2017 by Hook
Tabby cat posted:

Neymar !

The personification of the game being a wash with money.

Awesome player - but £40 million a year salary WTF !

Small change to Oryx Qatar Sports Investments and its chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi.