Value - Some Worthless Questions.

Posted by: Adam Meredith on 28 September 2005

In fact - it all ties in with a debate I wanted to start on the foundations of value.

Product X contains a mystery chip and a magnet - transforms the sound of your system

Product Y contains diamond resonance controlling dust, gold screws, 4 of the last 527 remaining legendary Rhondidium MosValves (as developed by NASA but dropped as being uneconomic) and sounds surprisingly mediocre.

Product Z contains fairly ordinary wires, off the shelf components but took one man three lifetimes to develop - sounds two lifetimes out of date.

Product 2 required 729 PhD students to design and is as good as an iPod.

Product iLLpo9 was knocked up on the back of a fag packet by a hifi world acknowledged genius and so on.

What determines value, when do we feel ripped off? Why do we not like "found art" and pay more for a painting that took a week to paint than a brick wall that took two to construct?

Why is a diamond more valuable than a petrified turd?

Does the mind rule the body - I dunno.
Posted on: 29 September 2005 by joe90
Adam wrote:
quote:
I have a friend who is a reviewer (shock, horror)

With friends like that, who needs enemies?
Posted on: 29 September 2005 by joe90
Value is subjective.

Like turds.

Looking at other people's babies' nappies makes me wanna hurl. Looking at my own kids' nappies makes me want to clean and freshen and hug and cuddle and love them.

The kids - not the nappies.
Posted on: 29 September 2005 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by joe90:
With friends like that, who needs enemies?

The constipated.
Posted on: 29 September 2005 by Stuart M
quote:
Many years ago I had a pocket calculator. The next model up (which cost quite a bit more) had 2 additional function buttons situated in the top row.
One day the facia unpeeled - revealing below the metal two patches which, when pressed, accessed the additional functions. A lesson in effective production and marketing.

Back in the 80's a certain 3 letter firm had a mainframe disk drive with lets say 10Mb capacity for model say 10A. A lear later the upgrade to 20B with say 20 megabytes cost £££££ the engenier came and unsoldered wire X from position A to position B.

However you only got support if you had the official upgrade!
Posted on: 29 September 2005 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by Stuart M:
However you only got support if you had the official upgrade!

Difficult to put a price on peace of mind.
Posted on: 29 September 2005 by Tam
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Meredith:
Many years ago I had a pocket calculator. The next model up (which cost quite a bit more) had 2 additional function buttons situated in the top row.
One day the facia unpeeled - revealing below the metal two patches which, when pressed, accessed the additional functions. A lesson in effective production and marketing.

Adam, please tell me where the secret button on my 5x to turn it into a CDS3 is? Winker
Posted on: 30 September 2005 by Nime
There's always jewellery... I have a strong distaste for the stuff and never wear any on principle. But you can always see tarts standing at jewellery shop windows like fat people do at cake shop windows. Oddly the tarts are much more willing to spend money on gold trinkets than fat poeple will on cakes. Yet the casual observer would notice the fat person was carrying a large bag of cakes... but not even notice the tart was wearing a new pair of ear rings.

Would anybody today who found (like you do) one of those buried pirate treasure chests full of glittering gold crowns, jewels and pearl necklaces consider they were rich until they sold the whole lot?
Posted on: 30 September 2005 by Deane F
I always thought of tarts as just sitting there rather than standing. And if they stand in the street don't they get dust on them. Hardly healthy.

Nime, is it possible that you are speaking for yourself only? I, personally, am just too wrapped up in myself to notice anybody looking in a jewellery shop window.
Posted on: 30 September 2005 by Nigel Cavendish
You can't polish a turd.
quote:
Originally posted by Deane F:

Nime, is it possible that you are speaking for yourself only?

Of course! Its called "Defensive Walking".
Posted on: 30 September 2005 by Peter Stockwell
Duh, now I get it. Didn't realise I had been pointed over here when I started my hifi corner value thread. I still think the right petrified turd can be more important than the wrong diamond. I believe petrified turds are how it was discovered what dinosaurs had eaten.
Nime

I must say that your application of the word "tart" to a human that you know nothing about doing the same thing that you yourself most likely do but in a different place is a little, well, disturbing.

My experience what you wrote - and I speak for nobody but me - is that it reeked of a prejudiced view of the world.

It is very arrogant of me to post this but I felt quite affronted by the tone of your post.

Deane
Deane

I can't help but think that you are imagining the term "tart" was used in a derogatory sense which was never intended. If it adds to your sense of personal outrage we even segregate "the type" into "mini-tarts" (under 10s), "pop-tarts" (11-16), (just) "tarts" (18-40-something) and "old tarts" (over 50s). Big Grin

Perhaps the problem here is a matter of English usage? A "tart" in our parlance is simply a (more or less) provocatively dressed girl, or a younger or older woman. Despite the label (always applied with a knowing smile) we are no more dismissive of "the type" than you obviously are. We (my wife and I) just find "the type" rather amusing for their enhanced interest in clothes, shoes, hairstyles and jewellery. It is merely a stereotypical type we recognise. Seen everywhere inhabiting the pavement outside jewellery shops, standing at jewellery stalls at markets or peering into the glass counters of charity shops. They are simply more obviously fixed on their appearance than most other people.

I wonder if you would you be just as protective of our term "bikers"? Those with foolishly wide handlebars and footrests? So popular over here as they ride down the middle of the road on incredibly-expensive, modified, Harley birthing chairs in large groups? Or bald "aging hippies" with pony tails? Who look like mafia hit men or (much more likely) very old and tired rock musicians? We find these "types" just as amusing in a "wouldn't be without them" sort of way. But doesn't everybody?
Posted on: 30 September 2005 by joe90
It's interesting, Nime, how many people out there cry out for tolerance from people like you (whom they label bigots) yet refuse to return the favour...

Tolerance is surely a two-way thing, or is it only something that minorities/etc/etc deserve?
Posted on: 30 September 2005 by Steve Toy
She's a tart wearing a mini-skirt and she's therefore "asking for it" even if she's only ten.

Personally, I may label certain women to be tarts by what they do and not by how they look.

quote:
A "tart" in our parlance

What do you mean by our parlance?

Those who inhabit Denmark speaking English as a first or second language, or some other group?
quote:
Originally posted by Nime:
Deane

I can't help but think that you are imagining the term "tart" was used in a derogatory sense which was never intended. If it adds to your sense of personal outrage we even segregate "the type" into "mini-tarts" (under 10s), "pop-tarts" (11-16), (just) "tarts" (18-40-something) and "old tarts" (over 50s). Big Grin

Perhaps the problem here is a matter of English usage? A "tart" in our parlance is simply a (more or less) provocatively dressed girl, or a younger or older woman. Despite the label (always applied with a knowing smile) we are no more dismissive of "the type" than you obviously are. We (my wife and I) just find "the type" rather amusing for their enhanced interest in clothes, shoes, hairstyles and jewellery. It is merely a stereotypical type we recognise. Seen everywhere inhabiting the pavement outside jewellery shops, standing at jewellery stalls at markets or peering into the glass counters of charity shops. They are simply more obviously fixed on their appearance than most other people.

I wonder if you would you be just as protective of our term "bikers"? Those with foolishly wide handlebars and footrests? So popular over here as they ride down the middle of the road on incredibly-expensive, modified, Harley birthing chairs in large groups? Or bald "aging hippies" with pony tails? Who look like mafia hit men or (much more likely) very old and tired rock musicians? We find these "types" just as amusing in a "wouldn't be without them" sort of way. But doesn't everybody?

Fair points.
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Toy:
She's a tart wearing a mini-skirt and she's therefore "asking for it" even if she's only ten. Personally, I may label certain women to be tarts by what they do and not by how they look.

Your words, not mine. Behaviour is obviously part of "the type's" recognition features. Unfortunately the age at which girls start to draw attention to themselves is continuously falling with time. The innocence of childhood is being denied to them by commercial and peer pressures. But perhaps it's simply a feature of Denmark?

Personally, I'd bring in very long sentences for rape. If only it could always be proved without doubt, the police did their job properly and judges accepted the probable lifetime damage to the victim. It is a tragedy that this serious crime seems not to be treated seriously. Each time a victim is not properly supported in her case means several more cases are not reported.

Because a girl/woman dresses provocatively for a night out and even if she's looking for a partner for casual sex does not mean she is seeking to be raped. It is she alone who decides who her partner should be and there are surely a vanishingly small number of men who cannot recognise a rejection. Even when both are probably drunk and he has bought some of the drinks.
Posted on: 01 October 2005 by Johns Naim
Interesting

In a way, the value of something is basically what someone is prepared to pay for it in general terms, not what YOU might think it's worth. Second hand cars come to mind here.

IMHO so much of the perceived value of something, IS based around current popularity/fashion, peer group approval, status, reputation, (which includes myth) snob appeal, and the 'it costs more so it must be better aspect'.

I heard a NAP 500 which Cost AU$40k, but to my ears, whilst very good, its sound would be worth approx AU$10k as compared to other products at that price point (AU$10k) I have heard in the Australian market, and no more, therefore I have no interest in buying one - assuming I could afford it - whereas those with a much higher disposable income may consider it good value.

Very much a subjective judgement then. IMV, as regards HiFi, value is when I can get a sound/performance that is truly satisfying, AND leaves money left over for other interests/balance in life. Additionaly, once one enters the realms of the law of diminishing returns (which again must vary for everyone as regards where that point begins) most things cease to be 'valuable' to me.

Admittedly I'm somewhat idealistic, but old enough to also adopt more of a pragmatic approach, as I have seen more than a few highly regarded and very expensive HiFi products over the years become virtually worthless when their reputation/popularity changed/waned. Or when you come to trade them in; what was 'this most amazing blah, blah, blah' diatribe from ones dealer, becomes, 'sorry, this is all we can offer you, as it's nowhere near as good as this 'new' much better model', etc, etc....I'm sure we've all been there on that one... Roll Eyes

Best Regards

John... Cool
Posted on: 01 October 2005 by garyi
Regarding truffles...

Wheres the value there? Its a mushroom and tastes like one.

Yet its very sought after indeed. The rich that can afford say its got a wonderful subtle flavour, the poor who cannot afford says it tastes like a poxy mushroom and ain't worth the money.

Who is right?

This argument is pointless, you know it is when Steve arrives on thread discussing rape.
Posted on: 01 October 2005 by Deane F
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:

This argument is pointless, you know it is when Steve arrives on thread discussing rape.

My God. What a depressing observation. Every stupid post I contribute to this forum just brings me and the poor bastards who scroll through it a few minutes closer to death.
Posted on: 01 October 2005 by garyi
Hehe, keeps the forum alive though.
Posted on: 01 October 2005 by Nime
One day in the far distant future acne-free youths will study this forum for A-level IT History. Our virtual scribblings will be analysed in great depth with relevance to early 21st Century attitudes and norms. What will they make of the enigma that is DeanneF? Razz
Posted on: 01 October 2005 by kuma
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:

My God. What a depressing observation. Every stupid post I contribute to this forum just brings me and the poor bastards who scroll through it a few minutes closer to death.

No worries.

They need anti depressants. Lots of it.
Posted on: 01 October 2005 by Deane F
They make me drowsy. How will I rule the world if I'm drowsy.
Posted on: 01 October 2005 by long-time-dead
quote:
They make me drowsy. How will I rule the world if I'm drowsy.

Just like Bush. That's GWB in case anybody confuses that with female genitallia. Come to think of it, he's a c*** too !

FWIW - I don't think Steve mentioned rape on this thread ....... I think it was Nime.