Value - Some Worthless Questions.

Posted by: Adam Meredith on 28 September 2005

In fact - it all ties in with a debate I wanted to start on the foundations of value.

Product X contains a mystery chip and a magnet - transforms the sound of your system

Product Y contains diamond resonance controlling dust, gold screws, 4 of the last 527 remaining legendary Rhondidium MosValves (as developed by NASA but dropped as being uneconomic) and sounds surprisingly mediocre.

Product Z contains fairly ordinary wires, off the shelf components but took one man three lifetimes to develop - sounds two lifetimes out of date.

Product 2 required 729 PhD students to design and is as good as an iPod.

Product iLLpo9 was knocked up on the back of a fag packet by a hifi world acknowledged genius and so on.

What determines value, when do we feel ripped off? Why do we not like "found art" and pay more for a painting that took a week to paint than a brick wall that took two to construct?

Why is a diamond more valuable than a petrified turd?

Does the mind rule the body - I dunno.
Posted on: 01 October 2005 by Andrew Randle
In simple marketing terms:

Value = benefits - cost

Andrew
Posted on: 02 October 2005 by Nime
quote:
Originally posted by long-time-dead:

FWIW - I don't think Steve mentioned rape on this thread ....... I think it was Nime.

FWIW - Steve mentioned "miniskirts" and "asking for it". This a is a well-worn news/media path which needs no further explanation.
Posted on: 02 October 2005 by mjamrob
quote:
Why is a diamond more valuable than a petrified turd?

Try playing a record with a petrified turd Smile
mat
Posted on: 02 October 2005 by rodwsmith
What are all these turds so scared of?
Posted on: 02 October 2005 by long-time-dead
Turdsday. It scares the shit out of them.

One great advantage of being a turd is that you draw a direct comparison to a woman - arguably, usually all the time, the better of the sexes.

The older a turd gets, the easier it is to pick up. A lot in common with women.

Don't believe me - try it for yourself !