Electric Bicycles (eBikes)

Posted by: GeeJay on 13 October 2018

I’m interested in any forum members who’ve gone down this route, and use an electric bike (pedelec).  This seems to have last been discussed on this forum in 2014, and the technology seems to have moved on a good way since then , so thought I’d bring it up again.

At nearly 59 years ‘young’, I’m taking early retirement and so am thinking about plans for the future.  I used to love cycling (I still have my Dawes Galaxy from 1976!), however due to a dodgy knee and some middle-aged spread (!), find hills a little bit more difficult (we live in a hilly part of Kent) and am keen to get riding again.  Following an almost nerdy amount of research, test rides on multiple ebikes and visiting various eBike shops, I finally took the plunge on Friday and ordered a Riese & Müller GH Vario Supercharger from ‘Fully Charged’ in Bermondsey Street in London (5 mins walk from London Bridge Station)’.

The bike uses the Bosch CX motor and battery/display system (2 x Bosch in-tube 500W Li ion batteries), a gates carbon fibre belt (instead of a chain) and a NuVinci/EnViolo CVT (continuously variable transmission) instead of derailleur and rides really nicely - more a ‘cruiser’.  It has air shocks in the forks and a ‘thudbuster’ under the saddle to absorb pothole vibrations.  Nice big Schwalbe Moto-X tyres also help the bike to absorb bumps and it can be ridden offroad as well.  Being a pedelec, it’s restricted to pedal assistance up to 15.5mph (25kph), and you can set the level of assistance received from the motor (off-eco-tour-sport-turbo).  Any faster than this, and the bike is classified as a speeed pedelec that needs registration with DVLA, number plate, CBT, insurance and a motorcycle-style helmet - a moped if you will.

Here’s a photo of the demonstrator that I rode;

There will be some who see ebikes as ‘cheating’, however as it will get me out on my bike again, and I still need to peddle, I see it as a good way of getting about (fewer short journeys by car) as well as getting exercise.  Interesting that in Holland approx. 1in 3 bikes sold is an eBike......

Wondering if anyone else on the forum has ‘dipped their toes’ in the eBike pool yet, and if so, whether you’ve seen health and related benefits?  Anyone have a Riese & Müller eBike, and if so, how are you getting on with it?

ATB.  George

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by GeeJay
Mike Sullivan posted:

Don’t forget that you’ll need a power supply ????????

SMPSs only I suspect and no LPSUs in sight! ????????

Posted on: 21 October 2018 by Mike-B
GeeJay posted:
Mike Sullivan posted:

Don’t forget that you’ll need a power supply ????????

SMPSs only I suspect and no LPSUs in sight! ????????

............  you will get a much smoother ride with a LPSU.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by GeeJay

So, after the anticipation of ‘the wait’ (familiar to all of us Naim owners!), I collected my new eBike yesterday from Fully Charged (37 Bermondsey Street next to London Bridge Station) and thought I’d cycle round London and take some photos before taking my new bike home.  Here are some of the photos;

Hope that anyone else waiting for their new bikes get them in time for  Christmas, and to anyone teetering on the edge of deciding whether to get one, I’d say ‘just do it’ - it is so worthwhile, and hopefully these photos will help inspire you.

ATB.  George.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

interesting -but I'm afraid it prompts a few questions!

Is that two batteries, on the two chunky tubes? And are they capable of simple swap out?

Whqt size are the wheels?

The tyres seem on the fat side - what are they, and what are they like on the road? (Presumably good on slightly rougher tracks)

What gears does it have?

How heavy  is it?

PAndy one for maybe a few weeks' time: what it's real range on hilly routes using the assistance uphill on most or all?

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Nice shot just outside the Jack Barclay showroom.  I'm pleased nobody tried to nick it while you were taking the photos, and even allowed you some space so they didn't walk into the frame (take note New York Times correspondents). 

I really enjoyed borrowing my Brother in Law's electric mountain bike, and if it wasn't for the fact that I'm unable to use my bikes much these days (so much dog walking required instead), I'd be very tempted.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Mr Fjeld
GeeJay posted:

So, after the anticipation of ‘the wait’ (familiar to all of us Naim owners!), I collected my new eBike yesterday from Fully Charged (37 Bermondsey Street next to London Bridge Station) and thought I’d cycle round London and take some photos before taking my new bike home.  Here are some of the photos;

Hope that anyone else waiting for their new bikes get them in time for  Christmas, and to anyone teetering on the edge of deciding whether to get one, I’d say ‘just do it’ - it is so worthwhile, and hopefully these photos will help inspire you.

ATB.  George.

Congratulations with a beautiful bike. Riese & Müller is among the best!

Wheel rims are 27.5" with Schwalbe Super Moto-X 62-584 Reflex tyres.

Yes, this is the Riese & Muller Supercharger, which uses the Bosch PowerTube 500 Vertical, 36 V, 13.4 Ah/500Wh ( 2x ).  They can be removed (you’ll notice the lock for each one).  This gives 1000Wh in total.  The Bosch battery management system alternately takes 5% from each battery in turn, reducing battery wear.

R&M also sell the Charger which has one battery (in the down tube);

It’s super comfortable to ride, and the large tyres, front suspension forks and ‘thudbuster’ (shock absorber) under the seat make it a great bike over our many potholed roads in the UK as well as mild off roading.

The bike is available with De Railleur, E-Rohloff or Nuvinci Enviolo hub gears.  The latter two use Gates Carbon Fibre belt instead of a chain to drive the wheel.  Mine has the Enviolo gears (think CVT), which is dead easy to use - you can even change gears whilst at a standstill (something you can’t do with De Railleur).  Very low maintenance is another appealing feature.  At 30Kg, it’s no carbon-fibre Pinarello, however that largely disappears when you are on the move and helps give a super smooth ride.

Hope this info is helpful?

ATB.  George.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Thanks for the info. 30kg is quite something- but OK as long as you don't have to lift it, especially for anyone getting old and feeble! But of course the extra range must be good. Can the two battery version be used with just one attached to save weight, maybe using that way for shorter journeys?

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by winkyincanada
Mr Fjeld posted:
GeeJay posted:

ATB.  George.

Great stuff. Looks a good choice. Very nice photos, too. Good luck with it. A couple of weeks ago, I complimented a guy's fancy new pinion-drive e-bike (also an R&M, I think. But single battery). He replied that he absolutely loved it. Buying it had let him sell his car, and that he rode it every day. That made my day.

Richard Dane posted:

Nice shot just outside the Jack Barclay showroom.  I'm pleased nobody tried to nick it while you were taking the photos, and even allowed you some space so they didn't walk into the frame (take note New York Times correspondents). 

I really enjoyed borrowing my Brother in Law's electric mountain bike, and if it wasn't for the fact that I'm unable to use my bikes much these days (so much dog walking required instead), I'd be very tempted.

Thank you Richard.  London wasn’t as busy as I thought it was going to be in the lead up to Christmas, and Berkeley Square was just empty of people - no problems asking the photos at all.  There were a small group of people on the other side of the Square taking photos of this though;

Good to hear you enjoyed the e mountain bike.  Many folks regard Ebikes as a replacement for short car journeys (rather than a bicycle replacement), so there’s probably a role for one in many people’s lives.

ATB.  George

Mr Fjeld posted:

Many thanks!  Much appreciated Mr Fjeld!  Yes, R&M bikes certainly are awesome quality.

ATB. George.

Innocent Bystander posted:

Can the two battery version be used with just one attached to save weight, maybe using that way for shorter journeys?

Yes it can.

ATB. George.

winkyincanada posted:
Great stuff. Looks a good choice. Very nice photos, too. Good luck with it. 

Thanks Winky!

Getting round London yesterday was super easy, whizzing past the congestion and plethora of stationary buses and taxis was very exhilarating.  The bike shop tells me that many of the ebikes they are selling are going to people looking to replace a car (congestion charge in central London) or to people who are fed up with unreliable, crowded and expensive Public Transport.

ATB. George.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by northpole

I am approaching mid 50's at a savage rate of knots and am blessed to be able to continue turning the pedals.  I did notice this year at a sportive in Italy (Sportful Dolimitrie) that on display was not only the winning bike from the Giro, but also a next gen racing bike with 'lecky power assist by Pinarello.  As battery technology improves efficiencies I am sure these will become ever more subtle however, as a starter to contemplate the transition I reckon these looked mighty impressive.  Link provided below

http://pinarello.com/en/bikes-2019/e-road/nytro

Merry Christmas all.

Peter

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

That has to be one of the better looking electrics - though looks are the least important requirement. Amazingly they claim only 13kg! Of course a bit more once practical accessories added and some changes to make it usable, but still pretty light, which would maximise cyclabilty before assistance.  The downside is apparently around €6k.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by GeeJay

This Desiknio is also a very subtle ebike.....looks very handsome I think.......

More details here (click link).. and a video as well;

Merry Christmas everyone - happy cycling!

ATB.  George

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by winkyincanada
northpole posted:

I am approaching mid 50's at a savage rate of knots and am blessed to be able to continue turning the pedals.  I did notice this year at a sportive in Italy (Sportful Dolimitrie) that on display was not only the winning bike from the Giro, but also a next gen racing bike with 'lecky power assist by Pinarello.  As battery technology improves efficiencies I am sure these will become ever more subtle however, as a starter to contemplate the transition I reckon these looked mighty impressive.  Link provided below

http://pinarello.com/en/bikes-2019/e-road/nytro

Merry Christmas all.

Peter

One of those was on display (and available for demo) in a bike store in Corvara when I was there earlier in the year. They are certainly trying hard to make them look good. If bikes like this get people out, then it's all good.