I don’t get it.

Posted by: Popeye on 12 December 2018

Guys I don’t get it. I can’t really comment as I haven’t heard many of the combinations but I know some of you seem to be fans of the 272/555/300 combination. 

I was using the search facility and so much is said about how great a balanced system performs. You can’t tell me this is a balanced system! 

There are loads of old threads about people asking about adding a 555 to an NDX or using a 300 with a NDX source being told that the NDX isn’t good enough and the system is unbalanced. 

Yet whenever the classic 2 box shootout comes to conversation 272/250 or NDX/Supernait2, you get told two opinions of the above. Option one has a better amp and option 2 has a better source! But ultimately very very similar.

I use the latter now with the addition of the HiCap DR and surly in this guise the preamp is now better in the Supernait2 over the 272. 

I am not looking to change anything, I am just intrigued and confused as to much previous advice given over the years. The above is just one example. 

Cheers 

Popeye

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by TOBYJUG

Given the sheer amount of Naim gear that can be used to put together a system, I'm not surprised that some "don't get it". I find the contradictions and competing ideas interesting, and makes this forum less boring.    

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Bart
TOBYJUG posted:

Given the sheer amount of Naim gear that can be used to put together a system, I'm not surprised that some "don't get it". I find the contradictions and competing ideas interesting, and makes this forum less boring.    

If Naim offered one box . . . yeah . . . this forum WOULD be pretty boring!!!

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Good point Bart, just imagine receiving a one box 500 system from your local dealer on a fork lift truck. ???? ATB Peter

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by MDS
Gazza posted:

The NAP300 will make your speakers come alive. On paper it’s only marginally more powerful than the 250, but in practice it will make your speakers seem twice as large.

That's my experience too.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Popeye

25% more transient power than the 250 DR that’s quite a lot. 

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Christopher_M
Gazza posted:

That’s exactly my system and it sounds wonderful. The NAP300 will make your speakers come alive. On paper it’s only marginally more powerful than the 250, but in practice it will make your speakers seem twice as large.

Is that necessarily desirable? Serious question.

(I mean, we're creating a living room illusion, how large does it need to be?)

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by TOBYJUG
Christopher_M posted:
Gazza posted:

That’s exactly my system and it sounds wonderful. The NAP300 will make your speakers come alive. On paper it’s only marginally more powerful than the 250, but in practice it will make your speakers seem twice as large.

Is that necessarily desirable? Serious question.

(I mean, we're creating a living room illusion, how large does it need to be?)

Depends on how big your speakers are to begin with.   Puts a different perspective on shape of fish...

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by sunbeamgls

Not quite sure, but there seems to a lot of confusion here. The confusion seems to be caused by the rather narrow thinking that price is always related to the ability of a component.